Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 What do you want to see on the Candlekeep site?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2004 :  20:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage  Click to see Wood Elf Ranger's MSN Messenger address  Send Wood Elf Ranger a Yahoo! Message Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just found out about this UnCon event over at WotC.
Why don't we do something similar here? Nothing so complicated as they have perhaps just a few simple contests for best types of characters, artwork, items, and other things specifically for the Realms. I know it would be a lot of work setting something like that up but it would be a lot of fun too

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

LaughingWizard
Seeker

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  13:13:02  Show Profile  Visit LaughingWizard's Homepage Send LaughingWizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met Again to All! I too, would like to see a chat room of some sort. Posting is a lonely thing to do and sometimes one wishes for other "birds of a feather" to talk to.

Another thing I'd like to see on the site, though I'm not sure where It'd be appropriate is a sort of "Where are they now?" forum about some of the original TSR personalities and designers. I'm a history buff--whatever happened to guys like Lawrence Schick, E. Gary Gygax, Deisel, Dave Arneson and others? Any thoughts anyone?

Wooly Rupert--Good idea about the time zones. What zone is Candlekeep in anyway?

Wiz in the Northlands.

A woman, or a man, may come to hold many treasures in life. Gold, gems, a good name, lovers, good friends, influence, high rank--all of these are of value. All of these most covet. But of them all the most valuable, I tell ye, are friends good and true. Have these, and ye will scarce notice the lack if ye never win aught else."

The adventuress Sharanralee, Ballads and Lore of One Dusty Road, Year of the Wandering Maiden
From Spellfire by Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  16:38:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LaughingWizard
Wooly Rupert--Good idea about the time zones. What zone is Candlekeep in anyway?

The Danger Zone <cue Kenny Loggins>
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  18:25:31  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LaughingWizard

Well Met Again to All! I too, would like to see a chat room of some sort. Posting is a lonely thing to do and sometimes one wishes for other "birds of a feather" to talk to.

Another thing I'd like to see on the site, though I'm not sure where It'd be appropriate is a sort of "Where are they now?" forum about some of the original TSR personalities and designers. I'm a history buff--whatever happened to guys like Lawrence Schick, E. Gary Gygax, Deisel, Dave Arneson and others? Any thoughts anyone?

Wiz in the Northlands.

Well met, LaughingWizard

Aye, a chat room facility has been requested before, and has not been ruled out. We hit a brick wall on this some time back, but I intend to get back on the case soon.

As for the time zone, Candlekeep is set for GMT.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4305 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  04:46:44  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I found out recently and would hope could be changed from current set up.

Persistant sigs.

When I frist arived I used a simple quote of somebody a few years ago, I changed it to something more Realms revelent and used for many of my posts. I considered and entered a thrid sid and even before I saw something to post to in reading a thread that I had posted to in the past , the new sig was what was displayed. As best I can tell everyone of my posts had this sig change. I would hope that a future develpment would not change in any way past posts , including a sig. Depending on coding system and I know jacascript is part of it such a cjamge might not br easy and certainly can live within the current system. Just a change I would like to see if posible in future site design.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2005 :  08:58:36  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

One thing I found out recently and would hope could be changed from current set up.

Persistant sigs.

When I frist arived I used a simple quote of somebody a few years ago, I changed it to something more Realms revelent and used for many of my posts. I considered and entered a thrid sid and even before I saw something to post to in reading a thread that I had posted to in the past , the new sig was what was displayed. As best I can tell everyone of my posts had this sig change. I would hope that a future develpment would not change in any way past posts , including a sig. Depending on coding system and I know jacascript is part of it such a cjamge might not br easy and certainly can live within the current system. Just a change I would like to see if posible in future site design.

Well met

In the early days of the forum, a members signature was static and thus was included as part of the actual post. However, as a later update, signatures became dynamic, and thus the signature is pulled in from thy profile - meaning older posts will include thy latest signature.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2005 :  08:02:38  Show Profile  Click to see ode904's MSN Messenger address Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The site is perfect!
OK you update it often enough for me, but you need to do whole new things. Sometimes.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  18:10:59  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A spoiler tag.

Right now, you can ape it by using the beige color tag, so people'd have to highlight to read spoilers. But most people don't seem aware of this, so it'd be nice if a spoiler tag could be added. That is, the tag in question would work this way (without the spaces):

[ spoiler="Spoiler text here" ]Spoiler spoiler spoiler from random books episode. Stuff year date fact character's death by author something or another blah blah squid chocolate. Filler filler filler number etc etc.[/ spoiler ]

It would display this. After the box is clicked, the text is revealed like this. I'm not sure, of course, whether the software used to power this forum allows for such a thing, but hey.

An image tag'd be nice, too, as would a shoutbox that looks like the one no this page though, again, I don't know if Snitz Forums support it (I poked around a bit, and found someone's mod that apparently does it). Regardless, shoutboxes seem to consume quite a bit of CPU power, and probably isn't the healthiest thing to add. In that case, I'd like to know if it's possible to implement a Java applet to simulate IRC (and add a link to an IRC channel on top of the index page)?

Edited by - Winterfox on 05 Jul 2006 18:14:25
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  18:40:43  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a wishlist?!?

I'd like to see a place to dump npc statblocks and sample treasures. Boring but necessary stuff for any DM.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  20:11:45  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Good suggestion, Winterfox. Alas the software doesn't have the facility built in, but i'll certainly see about coding it in myself. Don't hold thy breath though, i'll add it to the list

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2006 :  20:12:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

We have a wishlist?!?

I'd like to see a place to dump npc statblocks and sample treasures. Boring but necessary stuff for any DM.

Well met

I'm note quite sure what you mean by this, Snotlord. Feel free to contact me via email\PM to discuss further.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  03:23:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

A spoiler tag.
(snip)
squid chocolate. (snip)

Squid chocolate? I can't say that sounds appetizing...

The spoiler tag function is a good idea, I think.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2006 :  16:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, c'mon. An illithid squid tentacle coated in chocolate sauce, warm, served with ice cream. Rubbery, chocolatey, and fattening. Yummy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  17:40:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about more smilies, Big Al? The only other forum I'm active on, the Heavy Metal Pro forums, have oodles and oodles of smilies. I'd love to have more smilies available on this forum... (Particularly this one: http://www.forums.heavymetalpro.com/images/smiles/razz.gif )

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Jul 2006 17:41:28
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  19:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

How about more smilies, Big Al? The only other forum I'm active on, the Heavy Metal Pro forums, have oodles and oodles of smilies. I'd love to have more smilies available on this forum... (Particularly this one: http://www.forums.heavymetalpro.com/images/smiles/razz.gif )

Well met

Aye, no harm in more smilies Wooly... i'll see what I can dig up

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  20:06:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

Aye, no harm in more smilies Wooly... i'll see what I can dig up

There's a site I know of that's got a few gazillion smilies on it... I'll find the link and PM it to you when I get home.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  21:03:13  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A moose-smiley

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2006 :  22:41:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

A moose-smiley

A moose? Nay, he's wiggling his fingers as he sticks out his tongue. As the name of the gif implies, that smilie is giving a raspberry.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2006 :  00:06:06  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But he looks like a moose.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

jmf
Seeker

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  21:32:22  Show Profile  Visit jmf's Homepage  Send jmf an AOL message Send jmf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmmmmmmm maybe a chat room or an off-topic section

new too forgotten realms help me
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  01:07:21  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmf

While I like the idea of a chat room, I have to say that I am leary of an off-topic area. Why? Because at least one other site I visited that had an off topic area really got out of hand, and sometimes all it serves to do is to create bad feelings about non-FR topics that various posters might disagree about, that if there was never an off topic area, there would never have been a problem between the posters in the first place.

So while I can understand the desire, I wouldn't be too much in favor of an off topic area.

"Because philosophy arises from awe, a philosopher is bound in his way to be a lover of myths and poetic fables. Poets and philosophers are alike in being big with wonder."--Saint Thomas Aquinas

http://knighterrantjr.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  02:01:22  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jmf

The subject of a "chat-room" has been discussed many times here at Candlekeep. I would suggest you perform a search to find those previous discussion scrolls. Basically, Alaundo is still considering a number of options that can be integrated into the existing Candlekeep Forum software with a minimum of fuss.

As well, an "off-topic" section has also been discussed. This idea hasn't found much support either because Alaundo fears, and rightly so I believe, that such a section will net more attention than the actual forums and become a place for flame-wars and other negative opinions. Candlekeep is an FR website with an FR forum. And personally, I prefer it that way.

In my opinion, there are very few websites that can handle the responsibility that comes with an "off-topic" section. Another forum I frequent, the Classic BattleTech boards is the only other online community I've found that can provide quality administration for off-topic discussions, along with healthy subjects and intriguing matters to discuss. I stay well clear of most of "off-topic" boards on other forums I visit -- they've just become too nasty.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30340 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:33:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In my opinion, there are very few websites that can handle the responsibility that comes with an "off-topic" section. Another forum I frequent, the Classic BattleTech boards is the only other online community I've found that can provide quality administration for off-topic discussions, along with healthy subjects and intriguing matters to discuss. I stay well clear of most of "off-topic" boards on other forums I visit -- they've just become too nasty.

The Heavy Metal Pro forums have an Off-Topic section, as well. It does see the occasional burst of activity, but usually stuff posted there only gets a few replies before it dries up.

When I post something there, it's usually something really interesting, and/or something that peripherally ties back into BattleTech, like the development of devices resembling neurohelmets or the development of a substance that functions similarly to HarJel.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  04:44:38  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I normally only post about subjects that interest me and some regulars on the boards -- comics, books, films and RPG-related topics. I don't get into real-world discussions in off-topic boards. That's where the problems usually start.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  10:03:24  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, I have no intention of opening up an off-topic section here at Candlekeep.

As for a chat room, as the Sage states, it's not been dismissed and I am always open to suggestions of good software for this facility. Perhaps it will be a feature launched as part of the Candlekeep v2.0 site redesign.

One step at a time though

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll