Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 What do you want to see on the Candlekeep site?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6240 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  16:44:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You only get 10? I have 26/20 (until recently something like 40/20) in Inbox, and seemingly uncapped Outbox.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4280 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  17:08:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

You only get 10? I have 26/20 (until recently something like 40/20) in Inbox, and seemingly uncapped Outbox.

Well all I recall was candlekeep sent me an email years ago that I was full at 10 and could not receive any more unless I deleted or saved. It clearly is possible I have more room now. *shrugs*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  17:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering why there is no Play-by-Post section here (unless I've totally missed it); I'd gladly run a party of three-five adventurers through the AD&D realms; all that's really needed is a dice roll function. Yes there are many options available online (pbem, Roll20, Fantasy Battlegrounds, forums) but having a section here for Realms-games only could be useful even if you're not playing (perusing threads for ideas, see other people's characters, etc). Feel free to poke me with a rusty halberd if I've overlooked PBP's existence at Candlekeep.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2013 :  17:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seventeen days later and still wondering :) Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  03:40:49  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I was wondering why there is no Play-by-Post section here (unless I've totally missed it); I'd gladly run a party of three-five adventurers through the AD&D realms; all that's really needed is a dice roll function. Yes there are many options available online (pbem, Roll20, Fantasy Battlegrounds, forums) but having a section here for Realms-games only could be useful even if you're not playing (perusing threads for ideas, see other people's characters, etc). Feel free to poke me with a rusty halberd if I've overlooked PBP's existence at Candlekeep.

This is, essentially, what the scrolls stacked on the shelf of the Candlekeep Inn are for on this site.

If you peruse any of the pre-existing scrolls on that shelf, you'll note a couple have been used for various Play-By-Post games here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  08:17:08  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha! I did peruse the "Candlekeep Inn" but it seemed to me to be something different...so I could potentially fire up a play-by-post campaign in the Inn, then? (Thanks for answering)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  15:03:58  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty much.

And if you would like to advertise for players already available at Candlekeep, or even just to discuss background and/or development of your game, simply post a scroll on the Adventuring shelf. Which has, also traditionally, been used for such discussions.

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  16:19:36  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent, thank you :)
Go to Top of Page

KacyCrawford
Seeker

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  17:01:32  Show Profile Send KacyCrawford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to have the layput of the site to be changed
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4280 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2013 :  17:27:45  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KacyCrawford

It might be better if you described what type of layout you would want instead of just saying you want it different. *Smiles*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2013 :  03:11:17  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

In what ways would you like it to be changed?

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5579 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  19:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Fear not, 'tis underway (although taking considerable time), and will receive a complete overhaul and easier navigation.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5659 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2013 :  20:05:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
rather than saying what I'd like to see changed, I'd like to point out something I would hate to see gone. The active topics button is wonderful. If anything, I'd love to see it changed to allow you to pick more between 2 days and a week (say an entry for 4 days back).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2013 :  12:30:14  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgotten Realms heresy section like they have on Cannonfire

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
376 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2013 :  16:14:14  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see - and I will add my "please" because this is a free site - a consolidation of the forums that overlap and the ability to add bold, underline and italics as you can on every other messageboard (ctrl + b/u/i). Simple stuff.

Oh, and an auto-correct function to change "cannon" to "canon". ;)

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30084 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2013 :  17:02:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

(snip) and the ability to add bold, underline and italics as you can on every other messageboard (ctrl + b/u/i). Simple stuff.

Um... That functionality is already in place.

quote:

And "rouge" to "rogue".

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2013 :  17:23:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

From an editor's point of view:

Straight to curly quotes (both single and double)

Double/triple hyphens to em dash

En dash

Periods and commas before closing quotation marks (auto correct)

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
376 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2013 :  04:23:55  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

(snip) and the ability to add bold, underline and italics as you can on every other messageboard (ctrl + b/u/i). Simple stuff.

quote:

And "rouge" to "rogue".

Yes, I know you can add these but you have to manually type {i} and {/i} (square brackets, I know) or click the format button before you start typing and type between the two codes. It's a small thing but when you're typing quickly adding these extra steps only on Noah's old bulletin board software that first saw use on the ark is a little annoying.

Anyway, as I said in my post, it's a small thing.

And, yes, "rogue" and "rouge". Horrible. I never understood why ENWorld, for example, didn't place "rouge" on the naughty list of words so that it's simply replaced by :) :) :) :) :) in any post where it appears. ;)

To be frank, I don't know why I even made my original post. This is a free site, we've got no "rights" here (and that's not a complaint - it is free) and this has been talked about for more than a decade and nothing has happened.

Now I am wondering if Sage's pathological procrastination is the cause of this or if he actually caught it from being at Candlekeep.... ;)

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30084 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2013 :  05:20:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, I know you can add these but you have to manually type {i} and {/i} (square brackets, I know) or click the format button before you start typing and type between the two codes. It's a small thing but when you're typing quickly adding these extra steps only on Noah's old bulletin board software that first saw use on the ark is a little annoying.

Anyway, as I said in my post, it's a small thing.

No, the functionality of highlighting your text and hitting control and whatever -- that is already present. It works with underlining, bolding, and italicizing. I did it with those words, without going near the bracket keys or the formatting buttons above.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4280 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2013 :  05:42:00  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, the functionality of highlighting your text and hitting control and whatever -- that is already present. It works with underlining, bolding, and italicizing. I did it with those words, without going near the bracket keys or the formatting buttons above.

But that only works only is quote and even then it works poorly at least with my interface with candlekeep.

That is it appears your settings interface make it possible for you to do things I can not do.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30084 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2013 :  06:19:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

But that only works only is quote and even then it works poorly at least with my interface with candlekeep.

That is it appears your settings interface make it possible for you to do things I can not do.

I can do it outside of a quote, and did so with my previous post. I'm using IE10 on a Win7 machine. Pretty sure I've done it in Chrome on my work computer, too, but I'm not sure -- Chrome on that system (also Win7) doesn't quite behave like Chrome on my home computer.

Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
376 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2013 :  09:01:24  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I just switch to Chrome and it's the same as Firefox which I normally use.

I only use Internet Explorer for its intended purpose - downloading other browsers - so I'll take your word that it works on IE.

Hehe... this may be the only website in the world optimised for use with IE! :)

Cheers
D

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2014 :  05:26:17  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something I'd like to see is the option to award other users XP or Reputation points. These correspond to a "level" for the user, that's posted below their name and above their user portrait.

EnWorld has a feature of this sort and it's really quite motivating to try and write something that other people will like enough to award you a point of experience for. Also, it's nice to be able to say "thanks" or "nice post" or "I couldn't have said it better," and these are all things you can do when you award someone a point of experience.

A good example of a post I think would qualify would be Marco Volo's recent query about Waterdeep adventure clubs, which has turned into a gift that keeps on giving in terms of answers from Ed that are just great reads.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
6240 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2014 :  22:35:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+Rep systems are a common feature on many forum engines, including vBulletin (the most popular). It‘s generally a good thing and provides a useful rough indicator of who knows their stuff - yet it can also be abused and provide another “private“ tool for trolls and spammers to annoy people. Many forums disable the default Reputation system because it also tends to generate endless discussions about nothing but the workings of the Reputation system.

I second JG‘s suggestion to have something like this in place, although I would recommend that the tool is not enabled until scribes have first passed a probationary period and contributed some quantity of useful posts.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 02 Jan 2014 23:33:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30084 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2014 :  23:57:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'd rather see an option to like posts, rather than an option to like the poster... As Ayrik said, a rep system for individuals could easily be abused, and we've unfortunately had more than one person who would happily abuse such a thing. I'll not give details, but I can say for a fact that I know of at least one scribe that left these halls purely because of trolls.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000