Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 What do you want to see on the Candlekeep site?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  05:15:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The failures of the existing SEARCH function here at Candlekeep is often one of the most requested aspects that requires upgrading.

Rest assured, that we are looking into more exacting alternatives.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  05:46:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanx

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  08:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Suggestion for the Active Topics page:

The "Active Topics Since" drop down seems to automatically default to "Last Visit". I generally prefer different settings (like "Last 6 Hours" or "Yesterday") ... could an option to save the default "setting" in the cookie be implemented (maybe options configured in the user profile/CP)?

I notice the "Reload page every ..." setting seems to be retained (lol, I personally prefer "Don't reload automatically").

Well met

Hmm, i'll look into this, Arik. I have "Don't reload automatically", as I had issues where sometimes reloads lost unread entries. This was some time ago on the old server, however, so may have been resolved, but I still just prefer to manage it myself. Nevertheless, I have never had this default back to another setting. I'll have a dig...

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  10:06:16  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congrats on the new server, Alaundo - the difference is noticeable.

Am I right in suspecting the CK2 migration will occur in late Jan2011?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  17:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Alas not, my dear Arik. To make things clearer, there are two phases of Candlekeep v2. The first being migration to new forum software, which is indeed penned for Q1 2010. However, the more difficult and time consuming is phase 2, which is the redesign and part-automation of the site itself. Transfering the old scrolls and tomes into one of these new-fangled database systems is certainly a hefty feat

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  18:09:58  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to see a new Compendium on the site but I know it likely won't happen

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  18:13:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

Alas not, my dear Arik. To make things clearer, there are two phases of Candlekeep v2. The first being migration to new forum software, which is indeed penned for Q1 2010. However, the more difficult and time consuming is phase 2, which is the redesign and part-automation of the site itself. Transfering the old scrolls and tomes into one of these new-fangled database systems is certainly a hefty feat

Q1 2010? Uh, Big Al, have you not looked at a calendar since your return from walkabout?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  18:20:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was basing my guess on the domain registry data.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  18:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New forum software in Q1 2011 would still be a lovely Christmas present... It'd eliminate the gremlins, I hope?

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  23:48:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Well met

Q1 2010? Uh, Big Al, have you not looked at a calendar since your return from walkabout?

Haha! My plan is succeeding. Soon all the scribes of Candlekeep will be subjected to the negative-work effects of SageTime.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  00:28:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can name about a hundred things this site needs (including nymphs in lingerie ), but the most basic would be a more normal way to link (this is the only site I know that requires the " "), cleaner editing features (like taking us back to the post we were actually editing), and most importantly - THREAD-SPLITTING.

I have seen that on a couple of sites, and it is a very handy feature, and would serve us well here, I think.

Also the ability to upload our own Avatars (hint, HINT)

Perhaps a place where we can create our own lore-pages as well. I have read so many wonderful ideas here by so many people, and they all seem to get lost as the threads move on. We wouldn't have to create a new sub-forum to handle comments - the 'Running the Realms" would continue in this regard. The actual data-base with fan-material would be almost blog-like - everyone should be able to keep all of their own contributions on their own separate shelf.

Then you could even give out prizes - whoever's page gets the most views gets to feed the Hamster for the next year.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Dec 2010 04:12:05
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  01:29:45  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being able to narrow your searches would be great. Just knowing that what you are looking for is mentioned "somewhere" in the 20-70 pages of some of the larger threads isn't all that helpful.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  06:37:47  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I can name about a hundred things this site needs (including nymphs in lingerie )

Why would nymphs need clothes at all?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2010 :  19:37:15  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I think a "Random Article" type button like you see at some of the Wiki's would be cool.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  02:33:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe a well maintained page of current links for official/free WotC and third-party FR downloads would be nice.

I wonder if a separate shelf for general D&D lore would be useful for Candlekeep; we often chatter about things (like creatures and rules from the outer planes or other worlds) which are only tangentially related to the FR setting.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  02:37:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wonder if a separate shelf for general D&D lore would be useful for Candlekeep; we often chatter about things (like creatures and rules from the outer planes or other worlds) which are only tangentially related to the FR setting.
That's largely been the function of the Core D&D Products shelf. Though it has a tendency to just be about discussions re: certain products, there has been, from time to time, actual chatter about generic/non-setting specific D&D lore as well.

And, besides, we're not too discriminatory with what can be discussed in the General FR section. Even if it's core D&D, there's always a likelihood that scribes will find some way to use what's presented in their own Realms games. And we like to encourage that kind of participation, by not being too stringent with what can be discussed, and where. So long as it's still D&D...

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  03:28:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol, I've just been stuffing my scrolls into whatever shelf seems semi-appropriate (or convenient) on a case-by-case basis. Bad me.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2010 :  04:23:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

lol, I've just been stuffing my scrolls into whatever shelf seems semi-appropriate (or convenient) on a case-by-case basis. Bad me.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Generally, it's often difficult to determine just where to place a particular discussion scroll. And, that's what we Mods are here for anyway. If we feel a discussion could be better served on another shelf, we'll move it along.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  02:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myself, only more often.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  05:35:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

Myself, only more often.

I'll echo that. Good to see you again, Lady K!

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  06:56:54  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Myself, only more often.

Thanks. I really need to make a much more concerted effort when it comes to Candlekeep. It always feels so long between visits.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  09:46:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Also the ability to upload our own Avatars (hint, HINT)

You're not alone on this.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2010 :  15:32:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Myself, only more often.

Thanks. I really need to make a much more concerted effort when it comes to Candlekeep. It always feels so long between visits.

Maybe that's because it is a long time between your visits...

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2010 :  03:17:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like an alternative to pms , something like a normal scroll, but just open between you and the scribe you "send" it to. Would be easier to keep track of conversations if it were one continuous scroll.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2010 :  04:56:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. That's an interesting idea, RW. I may just look into that.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2010 :  05:30:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some forum sites implement a members link to an IRC webchat room, many of those allow members to create temporary (password accessed) rooms for private chats.

Others deliberately avoid this approach because their admins feel it detracts from posting threads in which other members might participate.

I personally think the existing PM mechanism is sufficient, though it should offer a better editor (which should at least allow quoted/replied text). I'll admit I don't use PMs much, so other scribes would likely enjoy greater benefits on improvements to the PM system.

A request while touching upon the topic of the editor - could the text editing boxes be made larger? Being able to see only a handful of lines is a little bit inconvenient; why not use the rest of the screen?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2010 :  09:21:33  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

I'd like an alternative to pms , something like a normal scroll, but just open between you and the scribe you "send" it to. Would be easier to keep track of conversations if it were one continuous scroll.

Good idea.

Bigger text editing box - seconded.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2010 :  12:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Most of these points pertaining to forum functionality are valid and certainly desirable, but likely moot points. With the coming of Candlekeep Forum v2, these should be addressed (and we can create a new wish list )

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2010 :  16:12:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Hmmm. That's an interesting idea, RW. I may just look into that.

It would be especially helpful when applied to a certain sage, with a certain to do list that sometimes makes bit hard to remember what you were talking to him about when a reply appears

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2010 :  16:16:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Most of these points pertaining to forum functionality are valid and certainly desirable, but likely moot points. With the coming of Candlekeep Forum v2, these should be addressed (and we can create a new wish list )

We cant wait to see it unveiled!

Also v2 needs at least one thing that v1 needed more of.....more Big Al

As always everything you've created here and continue to make possible are greatly appreciated!

P.S. Sage's , Wooly's and my own "keys" will still access the ...umm....special earned areas in v2 as before?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000