Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 What do you want to see on the Candlekeep site?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  14:00:11  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Almost. My proto- SageSheet* and SageBase* programs are proving to be somewhat more uncooperative than SageNotes.

* -- I'm adopting those names, Wooly, if you don't mind.

I'm surprised you didn't have them already! That said, if you ever sell that software, I expect a percentage!

He will drop a check in the mail for you..........eventually

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  15:05:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Almost. My proto- SageSheet* and SageBase* programs are proving to be somewhat more uncooperative than SageNotes.

* -- I'm adopting those names, Wooly, if you don't mind.

I'm surprised you didn't have them already! That said, if you ever sell that software, I expect a percentage!

To be honest, I hadn't yet reached the point of "naming"" them. The program architectures for both applications are still in their infancy. So I thought it somewhat presumptuous to "name" them before their completion.

Ye gods, I've watched too much Tron. I'm picturing all these digitized versions of Sage running through the 'net and stuff.

You wouldn't be too far off the mark. Tron is one of my favourite films. And it's where I originally got some of my ideas for a Computer Programmer PrC. Plus, it's got Bruce "Get the Hell out of our Galaxy" Boxleitner in it too!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  05:59:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I'd like to see: A lot less pointless arguing and personal insults.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  10:50:12  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

What I'd like to see: A lot less pointless arguing and personal insults.

That's not in Sage's power to do.
But I hope offing the gremlins is. They wreak havoc on me all the time. Now they decided to swap all "open books" with "closed books" :P

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  08:36:34  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

Most other nights I've often "something else" to distract me.

Ah, so now 'poor' Lady K is just a "something else" these days? For shame...

He has since learned otherwise. For reasons which will become apparent after the following exchange . . .
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Oh yeah ...when Lady K gets frustrated with you, do you get sent to the SageHouse?

SageCouch actually, complete with a healthy dose of month-long abstinence regarding a variety of "activities."

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Lady Kazandra on 14 Aug 2010 08:38:01
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  21:48:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

quote:

Most other nights I've often "something else" to distract me.

Ah, so now 'poor' Lady K is just a "something else" these days? For shame...

He has since learned otherwise. For reasons which will become apparent after the following exchange . . .
quote:

Oh yeah ...when Lady K gets frustrated with you, do you get sent to the SageHouse?

SageCouch actually, complete with a healthy dose of month-long abstinence regarding a variety of "activities."

Ok.......now there is one thing I want to see on Candlekeep...

More Lady K.......rrrraaarrrr

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  21:59:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to see an interactive map...by era.

Essentially, you click on an era map by Edition. A 1st Edition Forgotten Realms, a 2nd Edition, a 3rd Edition and a 4th Edition Map.

Then, click on an area to give you a close up view of that area...that would have a list of locations beneath it that you could click on and read information about that area (such as linking to scrolls concerning the area).

That way, a Scribe could easily find information about certain areas...and even information about a certain time.

I think this would make the halls of Candlekeep truly edition neutral and offer full support for any era!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  02:04:15  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More Lady K.......rrrraaarrrr

I keep telling her that. She promises that it won't be another year before her next visit.
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Essentially, you click on an era map by Edition. A 1st Edition Forgotten Realms, a 2nd Edition, a 3rd Edition and a 4th Edition Map.

Then, click on an area to give you a close up view of that area...that would have a list of locations beneath it that you could click on and read information about that area (such as linking to scrolls concerning the area).

That way, a Scribe could easily find information about certain areas...and even information about a certain time.

I think this would make the halls of Candlekeep truly edition neutral and offer full support for any era!

Actually, that's not a bad idea. We might even be able to drop the great maps by Markus, somewhere in there.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  06:11:28  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do have my moments...

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  08:54:16  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a great idea. But one thing with such maps, should they then only contain areas present in that edition? In other words, should the 1ed. map reflect the openness of the Grey box maps and not include locations detailed in later editions?
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  14:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seconded. I also hope the Underdark would get its little map there.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  16:01:42  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

That's a great idea. But one thing with such maps, should they then only contain areas present in that edition? In other words, should the 1ed. map reflect the openness of the Grey box maps and not include locations detailed in later editions?

Yes, each "era map" should only include references to material published during its time.

If someone wanted to know something about a different era, they could simply reference future eras.

That would make a "layered map" possible too. Wherein you could select which eras you wanted on your map that you were looking at for that moment.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  16:21:54  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That would make a "layered map" possible too. Wherein you could select which eras you wanted on your map that you were looking at for that moment.

Wouldn't that be pretty complicated to make? I ask out of curiosity as I am lousy with both maps and computers, so to me this sounds like a nightmare to create.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  16:54:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, not a nightmare.

Essentially, they could even be modified maps related to the old Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas.

Each map would simply have a link embedded in the name. When you click on a name, you get a smaller map.

As for the scrolls here at Candlekeep, they could be embedded in the same sort of link...I've seen it done with Googlemaps.

If you go to the World of Aerk in my signature, and go to the Maps section, you will see the start of what I'm talking about. You can click on a bubble in one of the areas and it takes you to a Wiki page that gives information.

I'm very new to it myself...so I don't really know all that much about it; but the tools are simple to use and already easily obtainable.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  18:59:23  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked the maps you mentioned and it looks wonderful, if someone is able/willing to make something like this for Candlekeep it would be great.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  19:05:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't make the maps...but I could easily do the wiki work...

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  02:26:26  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Girls, lots and lots of cute girls.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  11:34:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Girls, lots and lots of cute girls.

Candlekeep is not a brothel....oh wait, you said cute girls...

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  01:30:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another note along the lines of the "full PM box" talk (yeah, my PM locks up at 21/20 messages, until I delete some) ...

I would suggest associating PM privileges with earned Candlekeep ranks. Perhaps no PM box at all until one becomes, say, a Seeker, then increasing message capacity as one's Candlekeep stature increases. I've seen other forums (fora?) implement this sort of approach, mostly to inhibit entry to spam fiends (and thus reduce the gremlin population a bit). Just a suggestion.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  01:50:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And yet another suggestion along similar lines ...

Allowing more senior scribes to access private shelves where they might submit and store their lore, along with some mechanism to easily link such lore into their public scrolls (as they choose). I realize quite well the demands this could place on server storage, but even 1MB or several hundred KBs could easily accomodate lengthy text passages and a few maps; not really so much when the total numbers of senior ranking scribes are considered. There are already numerous other extradimensional storage methods available, but they require scribes to venture beyond the secure boundaries of Candlekeep.

Also, to add some more pressing demands on SageTime, lol ...

I might also suggest a big obvious tutorial for new scribes, wherein CK's CoC, FAQs, text formatting codes, and perhaps other instructions are easily found; it is a sad reality that many visitors to the keep routinely ignore such stuff and expend no real effort in locating it (ie, it must be impossible to overlook).

Sadly, the search genie is not very bright. More sophisticated enchantments could expand it's mental capacities and perhaps providing it with a mystical google orb would make the genie's services far more useful, I feel.

Uh, having said all that, I will add that Candlekeep is still the finest library of Realmslore I have ever seen. It's really quite excellent as-is, when the gremlins stay caged.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 26 Nov 2010 02:11:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  02:56:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Another note along the lines of the "full PM box" talk (yeah, my PM locks up at 21/20 messages, until I delete some) ...

I would suggest associating PM privileges with earned Candlekeep ranks. Perhaps no PM box at all until one becomes, say, a Seeker, then increasing message capacity as one's Candlekeep stature increases. I've seen other forums (fora?) implement this sort of approach, mostly to inhibit entry to spam fiends (and thus reduce the gremlin population a bit). Just a suggestion.

Hmmm. This can be difficult to manage, because we have a fair number of scribes who only routinely visit the Inn, so their post counts don't increase and, thus, traditionally, their accounts remain at "Acolyte" level. And since these scribes also regularly exchange PMs for gaming purposes and the like, it would be rather unfair, I believe, to now deny them that freedom.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  03:02:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And yet another suggestion along similar lines ...

Allowing more senior scribes to access private shelves where they might submit and store their lore, along with some mechanism to easily link such lore into their public scrolls (as they choose). I realize quite well the demands this could place on server storage, but even 1MB or several hundred KBs could easily accomodate lengthy text passages and a few maps; not really so much when the total numbers of senior ranking scribes are considered. There are already numerous other extradimensional storage methods available, but they require scribes to venture beyond the secure boundaries of Candlekeep.
This has been among the most requested functions for Candlekeep 2. And given that it's had such demand, I can certainly see the need for a similar function to eventually find its way into our planning for the new forum architecture.
quote:
Also, to add some more pressing demands on SageTime, lol ...

I might also suggest a big obvious tutorial for new scribes, wherein CK's CoC, FAQs, text formatting codes, and perhaps other instructions are easily found; it is a sad reality that many visitors to the keep routinely ignore such stuff and expend no real effort in locating it (ie, it must be impossible to overlook).
I've already been on and off with this for some time -- as an expansion of my Candlekeep's Guide to Forgotten Realms FAQ. I fully intended to include some of a "Primer" or "Quick-Start Rules" for new scribes entering the halls of Candlekeep. Naturally, it would be incorporated into the sign-up process. But ensuring that potential scribes actually read the rules, is another matter entirely.
quote:
Sadly, the search genie is not very bright. More sophisticated enchantments could expand it's mental capacities and perhaps providing it with a mystical google orb would make the genie's services far more useful, I feel.
This is another highly demanded revision for Candlekeep 2. Rest assured, I'm looking into alternatives.
quote:
Uh, having said all that, I will add that Candlekeep is still the finest library of Realmslore I have ever seen. It's really quite excellent as-is, when the gremlins stay caged.
Much appreciated, Arik.

I know we've a few difficult passages to navigate and such. But Alaundo, Wooly, and myself strive to ensure that such difficulties don't often find purchase among the realms of being eternal nuisances. We don't always succeed, but I can tell you now that it isn't through lack of effort.

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  03:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, maybe ability to report a post and or thread? Rather then having to send a PM to mods? Easier to report the local trolls who pretend to know what they're talking about.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  03:21:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Sage
quote:
Arik
Another note along the lines of the "full PM box" talk ...
Hmmm. This can be difficult to manage, because we have a fair number of scribes who only routinely visit the Inn, so their post counts don't increase and, thus, traditionally, their accounts remain at "Acolyte" level. And since these scribes also regularly exchange PMs for gaming purposes and the like, it would be rather unfair, I believe, to now deny them that freedom.
I was entirely unaware of this, Sage. I don't frequent the Inn at all and naturally *assumed* every submission of lore within Candlekeep holds some value regardless of where it may be offered. Yes, I can appreciate the PM needs of these scribes.

I don't know if it's appropriate to mention this, but I personally look upon Candlekeep as a place where Realmslore can be shared freely ... I understand there are complicated legal enchantments which make the status of CK's lore somewhat confusing. Perhaps a more official binding agreement would clarify much confusion about what sorts of lore Candlekeep may and may not publish. I understand this is much beyond CK's ability to control, or even the ability of far more prominent wizards ... but it would be nice.

Thanx for hearing my (our) suggestions out. I am patiently looking forward to CK2.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  03:28:35  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Agreed. Sometimes I just leave the site when I see the gremlins blatantly mocking me.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  04:24:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dracons

Yeah, maybe ability to report a post and or thread? Rather then having to send a PM to mods? Easier to report the local trolls who pretend to know what they're talking about.

I can certainly understand the need for such a scroll. But, at the same time, I'm a little hesitant to agree to it. Simply because a public "naming and shaming" policy isn't something we'd like to endorse here at Candlekeep. Further problems could arise from scribes who feel that they're justly reporting about "trolls" and such, only to antagonise the situation further with such public commentary. And it could easily become a battleground for scribes who've personal grudges between themselves -- and simply seek to have the Moderators fight it out for them by forcing them to take sides.

As I see it, the application of the PM system allows such privacy to ensure the protection of both the accuser and the accused. And that's far more courteous, I think.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Nov 2010 04:27:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  04:26:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know if it's appropriate to mention this, but I personally look upon Candlekeep as a place where Realmslore can be shared freely ... I understand there are complicated legal enchantments which make the status of CK's lore somewhat confusing. Perhaps a more official binding agreement would clarify much confusion about what sorts of lore Candlekeep may and may not publish. I understand this is much beyond CK's ability to control, or even the ability of far more prominent wizards ... but it would be nice.
Indeed, I'm inclined to agree. I've sought legal advice before on this subject, from my legalese friend. She's assured me of certain "can do" and "cannot do" dictates that Candlekeep must adhere to. But until we've some kind of further definitive policy from Wizards on the issue, I'm afraid we're left to "flounder, somewhat, in the dark" so to speak.

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Nov 2010 04:28:29
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  04:48:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the "Report Scroll" approach dracons offered was meant to suggest a different sort of implementation, one that is fairly common in other libraries. In essence, an extra magical glyph is added to the toolbar (called, rather excitingly, "Report Post to the Moderators") which simply assigns an imp to carry a private message (that is, only the exact placement of the glyph and who invoked it) to a preassigned invisible gathering place for more sagely consideration.
Yes, private complaints should not become a matter of public debate in these hallowed halls - most libraries use this for tracking spam activities (though I have yet to encounter a single spam anywhere hereabouts, amazing job).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  04:55:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trolls shouldn't be encouraged.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2010 :  05:00:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's still a good (and easily implemented) suggestion, though. At least it's on topic.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000