Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Becoming an Archfey; or Vizier of another world?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2015 :  22:50:30  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So in our 4E campaign, which was Neverwinter but probably going to expand onto other things, we've reached epic. My character is using a version of Avangion that's re-fluffed into her becoming a big glowey Fairy, though the saviour of part hasn't been fully determined.

She's kind of been told she'll eventually have to make a choice between the PMM and the Feywild, in terms of which she'll actually expend her efforts helping/defending. For her, most people she actually cares about are in Faerun, so probably the PMM.

There's a number of considerations though - you may remember from a previous thread, she's started a relationship with an Aranea who's descended from the Royal Family of another world entirely(which is basically Athas-lite or Barsoom, potential future quest, returning her to her rightful place as Princess/Queen/Sultana and sorting out whatever civil war is ongoing there). Unfortunately, that means her real choice may be between her friends and family in Faerun, and her love and sense of wonder and exploring new and strange things.

I think what's important with this is what she actually becomes Archfey OF. If she did become a proper Feywild residing Archfey, who would she ally with, what would be her domain, etc. you have Archfey such as Lurue who tend to cover sentient animals and the like, and the Prince of Hearts... she's a Sune Priestess so Love would be important.

How do creatures normally go about becoming Archfey, and how does it come about they become associated with certain concepts, or seasons, like but unlike Gods?

I'm trying to figure out something clever with her Archfeydom that she'll figure out a way around all this but the GM is going to want her to make some sort of sacrifice as she can't have everything. Being an Archfey is going to involve a lot of responsibilities which is scary for her. But is it also normal for Archfey to devise solutions for problems like this? Can Archfey find ways of popping up on other worlds?

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2015 :  23:13:42  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, from what I know, most Archfey can visit most worlds. Athas is problematic, as it's destroyed state, left it partialy cut of feywild/faerie, as the Athasian section of Feywild was largelly destroyed. It depends on how is the Barsoom-like world. Is it's ecosystem, and natural, magical energies of it damaged, like Athas?

Archfey, don't need worship, as opposed to gods. They are a bit unclear in canon about their details, and give space for the players to ad their own spin on it.
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2015 :  23:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not literal Athas. It's similar to Athas but for plot reasons we can actually visit it. I don't think it's Feywild has been destroyed. I think Magic is mostly fine on the planet, but other resources are contested. It may end up being more similar to Al-Qadim at this rate though.

We don't know a ton about it. I was going to help the GM design the lore but we're waiting to see if we're ever actually going to do that quest.

Edited by - Roseweave on 22 Feb 2015 23:33:18
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2015 :  00:23:22  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be precise, WoTC been a bit unclear how Feywild works. It seems that there is a connection between Point of Lights Feywild, and the Torilan one, but the Athasian one seems disconnected, but that disconection, is probably because the state of Athas. So if the magic is mostly fine, and the planet is ecologicaly stabile, I think Feywild would be present on it, and have a connection to Faerun. I think an Archfey can force it's personal realm, to have presence on two planets quite easily.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2015 :  01:03:10  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It also depends on which lore edition you're referring to.

Archfey before 4e were the highest members of the two faerie courts (seelie and unseelie) working for either Titania or the Queen of Air and Darkness.

4e threw away this concept for the most part (Oberon and Titania don't even exist in the same way any more): One does not become an archfey in 4e, you either are one or you are not.

There is an out though...Morwel, Queen of the Court of Stars can make her consorts into Chaotic Good celestial paragons. In 3e when she was written up, she was a celestial but 4e's changes to Eladrin would probably make her an archfey. If she can still invest power into her consorts, that's potentially a way to be made into one.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2015 :  18:14:29  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, having her own little realm would make sense.

In the side fics I've been writing there is a character based on La Santa Muerte who has a realm in the Feywild(as it made more sense than the Shadowfell, given both deal with souls but the Mesoamerican/Mexican afterlife concept is too vibrant) that overlaps between Aber & Toril, since Maztica, from whence she originated, was displaced there. But that's sorta background stuff.

Also, she's becoming an Archfey regardless of the current lore. It's possible she always was - she's just awakening to it. She was born different, and does come form the bloodline of a powerful Archfey.

Edited by - Roseweave on 23 Feb 2015 18:21:22
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2015 :  18:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Infinite Staircase/Celestial Stairway might be such a way. If my character becomes a Celestial Eladrin it might be a lot easier.

The idea of her petitioning the Lady of Pain to keep a portal open in Sigil would be pretty amusing, though wouldn't end well.
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2015 :  19:25:02  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It has even sense that Santa Muerte is an Archfey, seeing how death in Aztec and Mayan mythology, were seen as necersary to continue the cycle of life. People who were horribly sacrficed, were thought oftenly to get to the best afterlife. Allthough Santa Muerte can be still seen as a sinister, or at least intimidating figure(although I think the latter, as Santa Muerte is seen as positive figure by the majority of people who belie in her), as bright things aren't necersary good, and Fey can be really terryfying.

About Fey, the Fey Feature is a great source of information
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/fey
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2015 :  04:01:14  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, another unortodox, but interesting Archfey, could be Aunt Nancy, a modern, American version of the West African Trickster God Anansi.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000