Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Feywild/Shadowfell entrances
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  18:51:15  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I'm planning for my players to visit one of either planes, most probably the Feywild and from there the Feydark.

I understand that one can access those planes by certain areas that are more "in attunement" between both planes, physically and magically speaking, and I could come up with such place from my imagination, but I would really like to give some "canon-lore" to my players.

Is there any stablished/known entrance to Feywild/Shadowfell?

The campaign is pre-Spellplague, what could be a problem, as I understand was the plague that brought the three planes in proximity.

Thanks guys!

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  18:58:21  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Feywild was once called the Plane of the a Faerie while the Shadowfell was called the Plane of Shadows. Pre-Spellplague there were a lot more functional portals so I wouldn't necessarily worry about that.

That said I don't have any specific canon.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  20:24:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not recalling any such portals in canon... But it's easy enough to drop one where ever you need one. Portals to Faerie are usually in really wild, untamed places, where few intelligent beings have ever walked. And portals to the Shadowfell could be pretty much anywhere that has never known natural light, especially if you can toss in a bit of dark deeds done in the place -- like a cavern where someone was murdered or starved to death.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  22:36:56  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm away from books, but in the Neverwinter MMO, there is a portal to the Feywild near the ruins of Illianbruyn (sp.) I'm fairly certain I've read the same in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, but the MMO and the book overlap so much it's hard to keep it straight.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  03:43:41  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whenever Ed gets asked about portals and their specific placement he typically (from what I've seen) confirmed there's some in the general vicinity but says "most of them are lost" and then details one or two. This is to encourage DMs to come up with their own placements. I could suggest where a couple COULD be found, but it would be interpreting canon rather than strictly quoting it.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  11:55:38  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a couple of books that talk about specific Fey Crossroads you could use to access the Feywild. Each should be guarded by a so-called Crossroads Guardian and they all form a network - kind of like the Eldar Webway if you know anything about Warhammer 40,000.

Off the top of my head I can only recall one specific Crossroads entrance in the woods just outside of the town of Shadowdale.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2015 :  22:38:19  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Each should be guarded by a so-called Crossroads Guardian and they all form a network - kind of like the Eldar Webway if you know anything about Warhammer 40,000.

I do, and that's really interesting. I thought it was more like a direct forth-and-back way. So the appropriate being (e.g. eladrin) could choose any portal as destination?

I searched some sources for specific portals in Faerûn, but nothing popped up. For now I have this (sorry for the english!):

"There's an old tale in [insert some seaside town] that talks about the twisted, dark tree that gazes the sea from above the cliff. They say that in old times criminals were hung there, and that there was one in particular, whose name has been long forgotten, who vanished just before the rope made his final sound. He appeared decades after, seemingly unchanged in the exterior, thankful of this "third chance". Nobody in town understood his words."

Does this sound to you like a plausible portal, jumping of the cliff and vanishing midway? What would be the magnitude of the requirement for it to work, risking an end among the waves?

Thanks for all the info guys!

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  00:21:14  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so here's a few more established locations of Crossroads:

* Arnrock, the volcanic island in the Lake of Steam
* A room in Cantlowe Library
* A trio of dolmens on the western shore of the Lake of Steam
* A mountain peak in the Orsraun Mountains
* An huge, ancient hollow tree in the King's Forest in Cormyr
* The graveyard island called Nykkara or the Isle of Memory in Calimshan
* Just east of a druid's grove in the Thornwood
* In the Teshyllal Wastes of Calimshan.
* In the Heroes' Garden in the Sea Ward of Waterdeep
* Druid's Grove in Shadowdale
* Harper's Hill in Shadowdale
* The Quivering Forest near Phlan

There are a lot more, though those are the ones I could find quickly. Fey, druids and bards have the best chance, in that order, to locate a crossroads and non-fey have trouble gaining full access to the network, even if they get the crossroads guardian's permission to use it.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 17 Feb 2015 00:21:47
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  09:42:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can think of an example that isnt a fey crossroads but really really should have been; the Moonwells of the Moonshae Isles should always have been fey crossroads, and in my rewrite of the islands i am making them into such.

Its an area heavily concentrated with fey. There are "portals" that link between the islands (according to the novels anyway) there are guardians for the Moonwells. How else would fey creatures migrate to an island chain (i cant see a dryad or a nymph fashioning a boat and they cant teleport).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2015 :  20:51:45  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There should also be a bunch of them in Rashemen as it's one of the places closest to the Feywild(despite it's very human population).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000