Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Almost done with the Sundering
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  04:47:46  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
5 of the 6 Sundering novels down....

Hobbitfan thoughts so far.....

As books, judged individually, I've liked them a lot.

The Adversary: A+ and Erin is my new favorite realsm writer outside Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak. Glad she's onboard for the future. My only minor complaint is that there was a tad too much teen angst for my tsste but that's personal preference.

The Herald: A solid C+ that could have been a B easily if things had been done differently (mostly the end really). Good to see Ed writing Realms stuff though as its not the Realms without him.

The Reaver: Good stuff. Better than good actally great. I was super impressed. I'm going to track down other books by Byers. He's excellent. I want him writing 5E books.

Godborn: Good writer. Confusing book for reader not familiar with the rest of his series. I will look into the rest of the series though. I'd love him to write 5E books too.

The Sentinel: I normally like Denning alot but I can only really give this one a C+. Great concept not developed fully. Easily could havbe been B or A material if longer and more developed. My assumption is that limited page count hurt Troy's book.

As a fan I wish WOTc had branded these differently, either acually done them as a well-connected series that went into detail on the Sundering or just not bothered with the Sundering label at all.
Beucase honestly, the fact that the Sundering wasn't about the Sundering really colored my enjoyment of the series.

I don't blame the authors for that though.
And I'd like to thank all of them for writing interesting books that were fun to read.

I hope that the 5E Realms books have a bright future with more novels to come and plenty of surprises!

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  15:02:30  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are six books in the Sundering so did you skip the Companions??
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  23:56:30  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm reading the Salvatore book last as it was the one that sounded the least interesting.
Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  00:23:53  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is interesting for fans of the Drizzt books but I guess it wouldn't be if you're not a fan. However, there are a couple of things that are mentioned in it that turn up later in the Sundering books and others (Netherese trying to find chosen, stirrings of possible war in the silver marches, etc).
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  04:36:25  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent opinion on Mr. Byers. You need to hunt down the Brotherhood of the Griffin series.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  14:21:37  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the kind words, guys.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000