Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 5e: Halfling Subraces
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  02:45:49  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm continuing to work on a potential 5th edition campaign for Forgotten Realms. This time I wanted to incorporate all of the different halfling subraces from every single edition of D&D. There's been quite a few changes over the years, so this looks to have them represented as a cohesive whole without having to exclude any of them:

Halflings can be found throughout Toril in a number of locations ranging from deep forests to bustling cities. They are a fecund race with some halflings having elven or dwarven blood running through their veins.

Halflings range in height, although are typically somewhere between 3 feet and 4 feet tall. Their hair can range in colour anywhere from light blond or red to black with their eyes ranging from blue or hazel to black as well. Despite the rumours, many halflings do not have hairy feet and most are unable to grow any meaningful facial hair.

Halfling Racial Traits

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2.
Size. Halflings can range from under 3 feet to over 4 feet tall depending on their subrace. Your size is small.
Speed. Your base speed is 25 feet.
Lucky. When you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the die but must use the new roll.
Brave. You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened.
Halfling Nimbleness. You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than you.
Subrace. You may choose either the ghostwise, hairfoot, lightfoot, stout or tallfellow halfling subrace. You gain the subrace’s racial traits.

Ghostwise Halflings

Ghostwise halflings, also known as wild halflings, can be found in a number of forests throughout Toril, cut off from the rest of the world. Your communities are very close knit with your interaction with outside races kept to a bare minimum. Ghostwise halflings live in the Chondalwood, Methwood, Forest of Amtar and the jungles of Far Payit on the continent of Maztica.

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Telepathy. You may communicate with a single creature within 20 feet of you that you share a common language with.
Languages. You know Luiric and one other language of your choice.

Hairfoot Halflings

Hairfoot halflings are one of the most common of the halfling subraces. When people think of a halfling smoking a pipe after a long hard day on a farm, it is the hairfoot halflings that they are thinking of. Found in Luiren, south of Shaar, the Purple Hills in Tethyr and in eastern Amn. It is rare for a hairfoot to ever leave the village they grew up in unless the entire village must flee. Although if they do go out on adventure it is typically in their younger years.

Hairfoot halflings are so named due to the characteristic hair that grows on their feet, hairfoot halflings rarely wear shoes, with the bottom of their soles hardening over time.

Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Swift Escape. As a reaction you can try to hide.
Languages. You know either Luiric or Chondathan in addition to the Trade Tongue.

Lightfoot Halflings

Lightfoot halflings wander the greater world in large clans, traveling from city to city, making their home in the grasslands between locations, only ever settling down in one spot for at most a year or two. Lightfoot halflings have an insatiable curiousity of the world, but like other halflings want the comforts of home. So they take it (and their family) with them wherever they go.

The vast majority of halflings found in cities have typically lived there for less than two years and are almost always lightfoot halflings.

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
Naturally Stealthy. You can attempt to hide, even when you are only obscured by a creature that is larger than you.
Languages. You know the Trade Tongue and one other language of your choice.

Stout Halflings

When a halfling and dwarf have offspring, the result is a half-dwarf (mockingly called a dwalfling by some) which largely takes after the dwarven side. However in the past dwarves and halflings interbred to such a high degree that over time the half-dwarves took on more and more halfling racial traits until the point today there is a breed of halfling that has very strong dwarven traits, but also a large share of the halfling racial traits. This subrace is referred to as stout halflings, sometimes known as strongheart halflings.

Unlike other halflings, stouts are able to grow full beards and often sport mutton-chops. They can be found in any community of hairfoot halflings, although are most common in the region surrounding Waterdeep and Silverymoon, the Purple Hills in Tethyr, eastern Amn and in the Shaar grasslands.

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 1.
Stout Resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against poison, and you have resistance against poison damage.
Languages. You know Chondathan and the Trade Tongue.

Tallfellow Halflings

The most remarkable thing about tallfellows is that they do not share the diminutive stature of most halflings. Over 4 feet tall in height, tallfellows betray their elven ancestry with pointed ears and their inability to grow any facial hair whatsoever. These half breeds tend to spring up in any community where elves and halflings live close together, largely in human cities.

Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 1.
Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on charm saving throws and cannot be put to sleep by magic.
Languages. You know Elven, Chondathan and the Trade Tongue.

----
I hope that's useful to some people at least. The only subrace I've excluded are Wild Halflings which I've incorporated into Ghostwise Halflings. They seemed to have the same narrative place in the game and I couldn't find stats for wild halflings. In my view "wild halflings" is simply a racist or ignorant term to refer to ghostwise halflings by.

The only thing I didn't like was the language for Ghostwise halflings. In my view Luiric was named after Luiren and is only spoken by halflings of Luiren. But maybe Luiren was named after the language (or means something specific in Luiric). Any alternative suggestions would be welcomed :)

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  02:50:57  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice. I'd like to see the kender get some love.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  02:54:27  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Thanks. I believe WotC may be publishing those in the next couple of months (they've mentioned they've got kender stats so it's just a matter of where it fits into their publishing schedule).

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  02:56:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kender are - thank Talos! - not native to the Realms. Hopefully, kender have not yet infested the setting enough to make their removal and population control an ongoing problem.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  04:05:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though, I'll note that kender have been in the Realms -- via Emilo Haversack, from Tymora's Luck.

Which was later referenced in Grand History on pg. 148... if memory serves.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  06:32:51  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My memory is a little hazy on that but wasn't that book more of a planescape novel than a realms one. Finder and his priest are from the Realms but I think most of the book takes place on the Outer planes, doesn't it?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  08:37:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In a way.

But, as I said, 'twas an event later referenced in Grand History, so it's Realmslore now.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2015 :  13:35:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbitfan

My memory is a little hazy on that but wasn't that book more of a planescape novel than a realms one. Finder and his priest are from the Realms but I think most of the book takes place on the Outer planes, doesn't it?

Correct. But at the end, the characters are talking about going back to the Realms - and Emilo decides to go with them.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2015 :  21:38:04  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should count that novel as Realmslore, not Planescape, anyhow. It is about stories which focus on the Realms, it is set largely in the Realms. Visiting/interloping characters within the story who hail from other planes and worlds have agendas which directly impact the Realms. The book does not blaze intrigue and adventure across the planes, it hardly describes some particular properties of only one or two planes as they are briefly visited - but the book delves deeply into history and geography and people and nations and gods of the Realms.

That particular kender, able to adapt and survive in a new place just like any other pernicious vermin, was no more native to the Realms than the Krynnish deity he interacted with. Sadly, some Dragonlance lore proves kender can interbreed with humans and perhaps dwarves, so it might be wise to quarantine any females (especially halfling females) this one may have encountered. Only for a couple generations past his death. Just to be safe.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Feb 2015 23:58:33
Go to Top of Page

Brunellus
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  19:07:53  Show Profile Send Brunellus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warlock? Of course not, some of my distant ancestors were Ghostwise. Yeah, that's the ticket...
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  23:16:32  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Ah, kender; the one race my DM will never let anyone play, no matter what.
Go to Top of Page

Nod_Hero
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2015 :  05:46:32  Show Profile  Visit Nod_Hero's Homepage Send Nod_Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

Ah, kender; the one race my DM will never let anyone play, no matter what.

Then your DM is a poo-poo head!

"Bugs and robots ma'am, bugs and robots..."
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2015 :  19:12:55  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took a slightly different path on the halflings..... I still hemmed and hawed about the low light vision, which is perfectly viable in 5E so I'm not 100% sure why they cut it except maybe for simplicity sake. That said, I did reinterpret the strongheart halflings a bit. I was always uninspired by the tallfellow and stouts which were basically rip offs of Tolkien and interpreted as half-elves and half-dwarves. Moreover the 5E stout ability is poison resistance, which is useful, but is boring as its already taken by dwarves and has nothing to do with their origin.

Halfling
Ghostwise
In the Forgotten Realms, these wild, nearly feral halflings rarely leave the confines of the deep forests. Strange and reclusive, they form close-knit communities because of their amazing talents and are uncomfortable with strangers. Like other halflings, they refer to themselves as the hin. They do not have a name for their subrace, because their culture is almost entirely cut off from the outside world and their awareness of other kinds of halflings is very low

Ability Score Increase . Your Wisdom score increases by 1.

Low-Light Vision . Accustomed to keeping a watchful eye out amidst the shadows of the trees or for nighttime attackers, dim light doesn’t impose disadvantage on your Wisdom (Perception) checks relying on sight.

Speak Without Sound. You can communicate telepathically with any creature within 25 feet, just as if speaking to him or her. You can initiate or terminate a telepathic conversation without using an action. You do not need to see the contacted creature and can end the telepathic contact at any time. You can only speak and listen to one creature at a time, and unless the other creature also has telepathy, you must share a common language to understand the creature you speak to telepathically. If you are incapacitated, you can’t initiate telepathic contact, and any current contact is terminated.

Stoutheart
Alternately known simply as stout halflings, strongheart halflings, or, because they often live among dwarven cities bordering on or in the Underdark, deep halflings. Stouthearts are physically more stout and hardier than their lightfoot cousins. Some say stouthearts have dwarven blood in their past. Moreover, perhaps it’s due to their less itinerant nature and exposure to Underdark aberrations and other threats, but these halflings have a decidedly resolute character.
In the Forgotten Realms, these halflings are most common in the south, where they often live near or among gold (hill) dwarf communities. Here they have been forced to fight aberrations above and below ground, as well as, at one time, their telepathic kin, the ghostwise halflings. The Ghostwars as the latter conflicts were known, were horrific and the stouthearts were unwavering in doing what had to be done. Following the destruction of much of Lurien, many more stouthearts moved below ground.

Ability Score Increase . Your Constitution score increases by 1.

Low-Light Vision. Accustomed to keeping a watchful eye out for nighttime attackers or life underground, dim light doesn’t impose disadvantage on your Wisdom (Perception) checks relying on sight.

Strongheart. You have advantage on saving throws against despair, dread, fear, hopelessness, horror, insanity, madness, and psychic damage, and you have resistance against psychic damage.

Thought Shield. You automatically detect attempts to sense your emotions, read your thoughts, or contact you telepathically. You cannot determine who is trying to do so (aside from any obvious clues), and these attempts only work if you allow them to do so.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000