Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 Character Concept Help
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

muktidata
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  23:40:11  Show Profile Send muktidata a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey, all! Well met!

The last time I visited Candlekeep was roughly a year ago. I gained a wealth of knowledge and insight for coming up with my PC's background and persona.

I come for the same aid here, today, as Kedric Starym has passed from this life into the next and I don't want to sit out on a DnD session due to a dead character.

Currently the party is a group of Pathfinders called "Team Griffon". They are on mission in the Underdark and currently in the Lower Dark. They just passed Feldenspire and are on an island seeking out a black dragon known as Deveautrix in hopes of having the dragon breath on a map they possess which requires such a circumstance to be legible.

Since they're on a "misty isle" in the middle of the Underdark and not expecting any reinforcements, I will have to approach the party from a different angle. I am planning on running a "Seeker of the Misty Isle" (Complete Divine p.61) character - a cleric archer. My race? "Lesser Drow" (Player's Guide to Faerun p.191).

Here are my background thoughts:

- Half-drow. Scandalous birth. Outcast from either parents' society.
- Seeks refuge at a temple of Corellon Larethian where pity is taken on her by a cleric there. She is kept in solitude, hidden.
- Alone, she devours the library.
- Her area is ransacked by Drow. Cleric gives her something wrapped in a cloth and tells her to hide. He dies. (it's a duplicate Bow of the Wintermoon)
- Days later, Corellon Larethian comes to her in a vision and beckons that she follow him and seek his will.
- She is found by a Seeker of the Misty Isle who trains her in their ways and is currently living out her hatred of Drow and devotion to Corellon Larethian by killing dark elves and seeking the Isle.

That's what I have sketched in my mind. The help I need?

- Where was she born? How did a Drow and a non-drow "know each other"?
- Where would a temple be ransacked by Drow?
- What are some good names?
- Where is the Misty Isle event discussed?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  00:15:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it's a temple of Corellon, it's got to be on the surface, somewhere. I really don't see any circumstances by which he'd have a temple in the Underdark.

But if you go for a temple of Eilistraee, it could be in the Underdark, and that would be easier for your character to get from there to somewhere in the Lower Dark.

Do you have a specific race in mind for the non-drow half? Knowing that would help explain how your lady drow's parents met.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

muktidata
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  00:44:06  Show Profile Send muktidata a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking another Elf, but I'm not sure which kind. I assume the mom might have been a captive Drow and the father in the military. The Temple would be above ground - a temple of Corellon - but I don't know which area would be appropriate and somewhere the Drow might raid.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  00:47:16  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cormanthyr had Vharaunite drow and various tribes of surface elves pre-4e. Might be a good place to start. The Daggerdale area suffered incursions from Maermydran drow before Lloth's silence.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  19:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by muktidata

- Where was she born? How did a Drow and a non-drow "know each other"?
- Where would a temple be ransacked by Drow?

I would start by asking if she is a product of love... or conceived from an act of hatred. That informs the how and the why. Perhaps her parents were in love, then died from circumstance (or killed due to hatred) because the two societies cast out (or killed, directly or indirectly) her parents. Perhaps her non-drow parent was a slave to the drow parent. Her parents may or may not be alive in that case, as she is the one who was cast out, first from drow society, then later cast out of the non-drow society.

Edited by - Rymac on 12 Feb 2015 20:04:24
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  01:02:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just wondering, ROUGHLY where is this section of the Underdark compared to the surface of Toril? That might help make some decisions easier. For instance, if its beneath Thay, then having the elven parent be a star elf or a wild elf might be good. If its somewhere near Damara, then there's the elves of the nearby Rawlinswood and the Nentyarch, along with the necromantic dark elves worshipping Kiaransalee. If its beneath Shadowdale, there's Cormanthor and Maerimydra. If its in the North, there's the High Forest and Menzoberranzan.... or a few other combinations. If its down by Halruaa, there's the Crinti elves of Dambrath who are already half drow and half elf.

Oh, and on the Misty Isle.... I'd definitely have it link to Leira and Nimbral in some way.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

muktidata
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  12:37:05  Show Profile Send muktidata a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking she'll be a product of love, but she won't know that. If either of her parents is a slave, the master will fall in love. If a war prisoner, the commanding officer will fall in love. Either way I'm going to make her mom the slave/prisoner.

I don't need her to be born in the Underdark or near it for any reasons. I'm going to say she was down there hunting Drow (a favorite of pasttime) when one told her of a misty isle located in the Lower Dark.

I'll have to find out exactly where Feldenspire is and where we are now either. Our DM comes up with a lot of his own stuff. Apparently Deveautrix, the dragon, and Feldenspire, the gnome town, are both homebrew things.

Edited by - muktidata on 13 Feb 2015 12:37:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000