Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Baldur's Gate: The Moddening
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  07:01:35  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So... having rekindled my old relationship with Baldur's Gate, and wanting very deeply to give it a new spin, I am looking for mods and in a few cases, how to get my hands on them.

Can anyone make some recommendations? And tell me how to actually download Unfinished Business from Pocketplane?!

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  07:22:43  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BG or BGEE?

Isnt UB obsolete with BGEE?
Go to Top of Page

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  07:27:05  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For one, no the BGEE does not include many of the things in Unfinished Business, and to be honest though I bought the BGEE and played it, I have been finding more and more that it doesn't really deserve "Enhanced" when compared to the original gussied up with things like mods, BTE and TUTU, so I am going back to the original.
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  07:33:22  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arian Dynas

For one, no the BGEE does not include many of the things in Unfinished Business, and to be honest though I bought the BGEE and played it, I have been finding more and more that it doesn't really deserve "Enhanced" when compared to the original gussied up with things like mods, BTE and TUTU, so I am going back to the original.

Have you played it recently? Like, since 1.3 came out? I am curious what sullies your experience with the EE's
Go to Top of Page

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  07:58:21  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

quote:

Have you played it recently? Like, since 1.3 came out? I am curious what sullies your experience with the EE's

Yes I have, just the other day, it's in part what sparked this kick.

And to answer your question, there are a number of things I resent but none so much as the lack of mods and the rather cash-grabbey-nature of it (in particular the Black Pit)

To be honest, after a while it just started to "feel wrong" and honestly when I found out Unfinished Business had so much content to add that the EE lacked, and by all rights should have had, I began to feel rather cheated.I go back to the original, seeking what hopefully will be a better experience, that and to be honest, the lack of new content other than a few new characters rankles me.

Unless the EE can support mods like Unfinished Business and Ascension then I'll go back to the originals.
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  08:36:46  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I do not want to say "Go back to the originals" I will say "Give it some time"

An EE compatible UB is out there, while the creator so Ascension has been trying to update it for EE, but isn't there yet.

So I say, do what brings you the most joy and fun int his moment.

And btw, how is Black Pits "Cash grabby" I am trying to understand your meaning by that.

Edited by - lordsknight185 on 06 Feb 2015 08:38:28
Go to Top of Page

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  10:11:02  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok then, please kindly locate thy gold coins where your speaking parts are and furnish us with a link to this new Unfinished Business?

As for why Black Pits feels "cheap" well...it's nature as nothing more than a combat thing with a promise of story and some rather interesting PCs that seems to go nowhere left me feeling rather cold and like there was a squandered opportunity, paired with the fact that the EE didn't seem to be doing much to "enhance" (heck I'd say even the crappy 90's-era cinematics from the originals are better than the still art ones the EE uses) had left me cold, but I'll do as you say then and give it another go.
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  14:56:11  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok then, please kindly locate thy gold coins where your speaking parts are and furnish us with a link to this new Unfinished Business?

As for why Black Pits feels "cheap" well...it's nature as nothing more than a combat thing with a promise of story and some rather interesting PCs that seems to go nowhere left me feeling rather cold and like there was a squandered opportunity, paired with the fact that the EE didn't seem to be doing much to "enhance" (heck I'd say even the crappy 90's-era cinematics from the originals are better than the still art ones the EE uses) had left me cold, but I'll do as you say then and give it another go.

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/bg1ub/releases/tag/v14.0_beta_150128
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  02:24:29  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just jumping in here out of curiosity, as I never got into modding BG as much as some others did. But what's available in the mod "Unfinished Business"? I've heard of other mods, but not that one.

Also, I understand how the EE might not be everyone's cup of tea. But personally, I really loved BGEE and thought it was a really great deal. One thing people may not know is that BGEE is compatible with the newest versions of both Windows AND Mac - and being a Mac user primarily, I was super-bummed that a lot of my software (BG and IWD included) can't be used in new Macs. The original software was built to be compatible with PowerPC architecture, and Apple decided not to support that older software in their latest builds of OSX. With the BGEEs and IWD-EE from Beamdog, you can use them on Macs, iPads, and Windows.

I'm truly not saying any of this to promote sales, I'm just wanting to forward some info that made me happy enough to get them again. I haven't been disappointed in the least, and the new content is sometimes quirky but also brings back major nostalgia for the D&D 2E rules. It costs money, sure, but IMO updating these classics to be compatible with 2015 computers is well worth what I paid. And if you see their forums, you can see the joy the devs have put in. It's a labor of love, with little easter eggs here and there. Good stuff IMO.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  02:40:41  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll give them another trial since I can see about getting some mods for it now. Regardless unfinished business is a series of Mods to Baldur's Gate that add back in cut content, such as a quest wherein Boo was kidnapped in BGII, or it wraps up questlines that were abandoned completely.

Ascension was David Gaider's attempt to expand and give greater meaning to the ending of Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal; it gives you the option to side with Balthazar rather than fight him, and it lets you fight the Five at the Throne of Blood rather than just Amyelyssan.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000