Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Totally new!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Giant Snake
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  06:58:24  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi! I am very much new to the Realms. It may seem strange to join with so little knowledge so here's a summary of what I've read and what got my interest.

I picked up The Thousand Orcs while waiting on an airplane way back in 2002. I liked what I read but I never followed up on it. I'm a reader of all sorts of things and that is mainly where my interest lies. I kind of kept fantasy at arm's length, mostly because it was so daunting and kind of inaccessible. I did read Tolkien as a child and I will always think of that as a master work of literature. A lot of derivative fiction didn't appeal because it seemed to break all of the rules and over-explained magic and things while not really explaining it at all. I recently decided to give it another shot and to read the Legend of Drizzt books in order. (typical, I'm sure)

These books have really changed my viewpoint! They do a fine job of bridging the gap between realistic and what I once thought of as ridiculous, and I think it is because they put real characters with well thought out cultures. This contrasts with a lot of fantasy and historical fiction, where characters are either too stupid or perfect to be compelling, or a lot of the current trends which tend towards all being amoral.

So forgive my inexperience towards this compelling world, and I hope to learn a lot from you all while I'm here!

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  07:04:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't sound inexperienced to me.

Well met! And welcome to the forums. :)

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Giant Snake
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  07:12:41  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I should be clear that I'm not all the way through the books yet and that I'm reading them in order, but I'm currently half way through the Icewind Dale trilogy part. I know it's Mr Salvatore's first big work and that it's a little rougher around the edges compared to those chronologically earlier books, but I am enjoying the story just as much.

I am definitely not experienced when it comes to the games. I looked at some youtube reviews and the D&D based board games, rather than full D&D, seems to be a good place to start. I think I'll start with The Legend of Drizzt, since it has the FR setting and is the latest and presumably most polished.

Edited by - Giant Snake on 04 Feb 2015 07:14:56
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  07:52:53  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never had the opportunity to play the various board games.

If you get the chance I hope you'll write a review of The Legend of Drizzt and tell us what you think.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  13:02:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... A lot of us have been Realms fans for years, and we know a thing or three about the setting. Plus, we've got some of the authors and creators here!

As for the rest of us, we are friendly, mostly harmless, and occasionally strange... Enjoy your stay!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  23:53:35  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, Snake!

I'm a huge Bruenor & Drizzt fan, too, and the resident Salvatore-nerd 'round these parts. Feel free to ask me any questions that might pop up as you continue your adventure with the drow ranger.

I would definitely recommend that you try to find a copy of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting or FR Campaign Guide, from any edition. This is a reference resourcebook or set of books that will help explain the overall context and feel of the Realms, and show you where Drizzt, et al, fit in. It's a huge world, with tons of history and flavor, and lots of nooks and crannies for lore and gaming ideas.

And there are other resident experts on just about every one of those nooks and crannies, here at the 'Keep!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Giant Snake
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  21:15:03  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

I would definitely recommend that you try to find a copy of the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting or FR Campaign Guide, from any edition. This is a reference resourcebook or set of books that will help explain the overall context and feel of the Realms, and show you where Drizzt, et al, fit in. It's a huge world, with tons of history and flavor, and lots of nooks and crannies for lore and gaming ideas.

Thanks! I think that is exactly what I was wondering about. I get a good picture of a lot of specifics from the Drizzt novels, but unlike LotR or other fantasy books, it's not a single narrative so the picture of other places is kind of fuzzy. What is the equivalent of Numenor, what created the world, etc.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  03:45:50  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Giant Snake

Thanks! I think that is exactly what I was wondering about. I get a good picture of a lot of specifics from the Drizzt novels, but unlike LotR or other fantasy books, it's not a single narrative so the picture of other places is kind of fuzzy. What is the equivalent of Numenor, what created the world, etc.

Aye, Drizzt is intentionally only a small player in a big world. By design, RAS has limited his signature character's involvement in most of the setting's goings-on. In part, this is because so many of them have actively being written about by other Realms authors, and who wants to step on anyone else's toes?

So there is a lot more eye-opening lore out there to be found. The campaign setting products are your gateway to all of that.

And then when those are no longer enough, you can pick the loremasters' brains here and elsewhere on the 'net.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Nod_Hero
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  05:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Nod_Hero's Homepage Send Nod_Hero a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail, and welcome.

"Bugs and robots ma'am, bugs and robots..."
Go to Top of Page

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2015 :  07:05:39  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it helps you feel better, I read Icewind Dale before the Dark Elf Trilogy

Welcome to the Realms, and though the board-games might tell you Gods only know what, I always found the best way to get in was feet first; try diving into a D&D game, now is a better time than ever.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2015 :  23:34:35  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met and welcome to Candlekeep, Giant Snake!
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  06:13:44  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Giant Snake!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000