Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 I honestly think it's crazy having to wait so long
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2015 :  22:32:09  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am not waiting two years to get a Forgotten Realms campaign setting book and I think it's a bit cheeky of Wizards to let it go on so long. I haven't seen or heard anything in their release schedule that even hints at a FRCG. Do they honestly think will be waiting for years to see if one comes?

I won't be.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Edited by - Shadowsoul on 02 Feb 2015 07:32:32

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  00:30:44  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, like I've said before: Last year, at GenCon, when Mike Mearls was asked about a campaign book, he said that the design team would be waiting for player feedback before they started. The very first player poll was released a couple days ago and I'm sure there will be many more before they have the data they think they need.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  00:42:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think that they're going to make poll for settings. Mostly because what exactly should they ask feedback for, since they haven't given us anything on the Realms (except those adventures, but they hardly contain substantial FR lore...).

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  04:07:18  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it would be a far better use of time to discuss who will write the Campaign Guide and to discuss what form It will take, then to gripe and worry ad nauseum over when the book will be announced, and to use that as an excuse to inject more bitterness at WotC into the forum space.

I'm warming up to the idea of a third party writing the campaign guide, provided Ed Greenwood does much of the heavy lifting.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  05:43:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I think it would be a far better use of time to discuss who will write the Campaign Guide and to discuss what form It will take, then to gripe and worry ad nauseum over when the book will be announced, and to use that as an excuse to inject more bitterness at WotC into the forum space.

I'm warming up to the idea of a third party writing the campaign guide, provided Ed Greenwood does much of the heavy lifting.

I am very much in agreement with Jeremy, here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  07:31:36  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To be honest, I don't share your enthusiasm. They have let two people go dropping their team to eight and their release schedule is as bare as a baby's arse. Mearls has already stated they won't be releasing much. Most of their interest is not the RPG, it's with the brand outside the game.

Being all happy and singing kum ba ya just sends them the message that all is good. I mean we go from years of a brilliant Realms to years of absolute shite, pardon me for being skeptical and bitter.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  08:21:19  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't mind skepticism, so long as it's well-informed, and willing to embrace all the available facts and not just those that fit a preconceived opinion.

I won't pardon you for being bitter--that's your baggage and frankly it's something the rest of us could do without, especially since some of us like the material that's been released over the past several years.

We're here to enjoy ourselves. We're not her to immerse ourselves in maudlin sentiments and endless worrying over things not in our control.

That, and D&D as a brand and a property has been in worse situations than this. So FFS lighten up already.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  18:32:36  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think we are getting a FRCG.

The new Unearthed Arcana series just started and it's about Eberron. Basically you are being guided to dndclassics in order to purchase the old stuff and use the articles to convert the old material, into 5th edition.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  18:37:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

The new Unearthed Arcana series just started and it's about Eberron. Basically you are being guided to dndclassics in order to purchase the old stuff and use the articles to convert the old material, into 5th edition.

Eberron hasn't gone through a supposedly hugely impacting event that changed it forever and ever, though. There are heavy updates that should be included in the fluff of FR, while the Eberron article is purely about crunch.

Actually, all the UE articles will be 100% crunch, 0 lore according to Mearls:

quote:
The material presented in Unearthed Arcana will range from mechanics that we expect one day to publish in a supplement to house rules from our home campaigns that we want to share, from core system options such as mass combat to setting-specific material such as the Eberron update included in this article. Once it’s out there, you can expect us to check in with you to see how it’s working out and what we can do to improve it.

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Feb 2015 18:39:49
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  20:27:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am firmly convinced otherwise; in fact, I think we will either have the new book or at least a release date, at GenCon.

As I said elsewhere:

Part of why I think we're going to hear something at GenCon is because we generally get a new FR book soon after a new edition, and because they've got to announce something -- they can't simply coast on the 5E core books.

They've mentioned bringing back the old feel, they've continued publishing novels in the setting, they've got more novels in the pipeline, and there's a new ruleset -- for me, that all points to a new campaign book.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  20:41:13  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone see the news for the Unearthed Arcana articles on the WotC website? They're focusing on Eberron this time around. I wonder if they will cover the Realms at all?

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  20:44:21  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with Wooly here. After seeing today's article on Eberron, I'm sure they'll announce something at Gencon. I was admittedly starting to think they were just going to do minor updates via web articles, but seeing the Eberron article firms up my suspicion that they're doing the setting books like they did the playtest, but maybe on a smaller time scale. I'm good with the wait if that means they'll listen to fan feedback and get things right. I'm under no illusion that they'll please everyone, but they apparently are going to try to get as much feedback as possible.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  20:55:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

I'm with Wooly here. After seeing today's article on Eberron, I'm sure they'll announce something at Gencon. I was admittedly starting to think they were just going to do minor updates via web articles, but seeing the Eberron article firms up my suspicion that they're doing the setting books like they did the playtest, but maybe on a smaller time scale. I'm good with the wait if that means they'll listen to fan feedback and get things right. I'm under no illusion that they'll please everyone, but they apparently are going to try to get as much feedback as possible.

Idk about the feedback, the stuff that they're putting out only includes (and -according to Mearls' introduction- will only include) game rules. They are just giving people some guidelines to convert setting-specific mechanics to 5e.

Looking at these articles, I wouldn't say that they're going to ask feedback about setting lore, since they are providing so little of it (also, at the pace of 1 article/month, they would have to do a FR -only series in order to receive feedback on the various parts and aspects of the setting).

Edited by - Irennan on 02 Feb 2015 20:56:00
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  21:03:08  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I get you there. It wouldn't surprise me to see a separate article series on lore for various settings. Crunch-wise, I was thinking getting Red Wizards or Hathrans right, or getting Realms-specific monsters (like my favorites, the Nyth) tweaked right.)

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2015 :  23:47:25  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOTC putting up the UA article on Eberron made me hopeful they will get the Realms.
With how quiet January was on WOTC's end, I was beggining to have doubts.
So, this little hobbit has some renewed faith :)

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  01:57:59  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is a Nyth?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  02:11:49  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Nyth_%28creature%29

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  05:38:42  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope the optimists here are right, I really do. That said....

The UA article discouraged me. Know why? This part:

quote:
Full details on the Eberron setting are available in several PDF products available through dndclassics.com. This article focuses on mechanical conversions for several of the key elements unique to Eberron.

This gives me the impression their idea is to release conversion notes on various settings but point people back to their PDF store if they want any detailed lore.

Why do I think this?

Staff. They. have. no. staff. Last I heard they were down to 13 people. Someone else here said 8. Regardless, my team at work has 30 people and we are just one team among many working on a project.

They simply don't have the people (and I suspect) the budget to do anything as big as a Realms book. Not the book we want, anyways. They could do another 4e Realms book (Realms Lite), but if they want to deliver on their promise of a "old Realms feel" with all the lore and stuff, they simply don't have what they need.

As I've said in an earlier thread, the promises they made way back in 2012 are conspicuously absent now. The interviews with folks like Greenwood and Salvatore that kept encouraging us are now far in the past. I think originally the D&D team had high hopes of really resurrecting the Realms for us, but I think Hasbro used their mighty pen to put that dream in the grave.

If they really plan to do something amazing with the Realms, why don't they acknowledge that? That would keep me afloat for at least another year.

Instead we get a tweet (initially) that suggested they were not even considering a campaign setting, and then, only after everyone blew their top, we get another response saying that they would make one eventually but there were a lot of "factors" to consider, and some such.

Not encouraging. But I hope I'm wrong.

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  07:26:09  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I like about WotC testing setting specific content this way is that we can get back to game mechanics that model the unique facets of the Realms the way 3E mechanics did.

Hopefully they will move away from pure mechanics just enough to include Realms setting details that will ignite people's imaginations and garner positive feedback.

After all, this material is test material that may find its way into a future sourcebook.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  14:20:22  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

To be honest, I don't share your enthusiasm. They have let two people go dropping their team to eight and their release schedule is as bare as a baby's arse. Mearls has already stated they won't be releasing much. Most of their interest is not the RPG, it's with the brand outside the game.

Being all happy and singing kum ba ya just sends them the message that all is good. I mean we go from years of a brilliant Realms to years of absolute shite, pardon me for being skeptical and bitter.

This would be more of a reflection of their business development group than Mearls and the RPG team. If the group crunching numbers doesn't see profitability in making the product, it won't be created. I'm 100% positive a book will be made if/when the numbers suggest supporting its design, development, publication, printing, and marketing. They won't make it just because.

Please don't read my reply too harshly. I'm not saying any of this with malice or contempt.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  15:50:57  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

quote:

quote:

This would be more of a reflection of their business development group than Mearls and the RPG team. If the group crunching numbers doesn't see profitability in making the product, it won't be created. I'm 100% positive a book will be made if/when the numbers suggest supporting its design, development, publication, printing, and marketing. They won't make it just because.

Please don't read my reply too harshly. I'm not saying any of this with malice or contempt.

No worries.

Your response is a prime example as to why FR really needs to be taken away from WoTc.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  20:35:44  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what's hurting the Realms more, the lack of content being released or the constant bile being thrown around by "fans".

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2015 :  20:57:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I don't see many people throwing bile around. Some are skeptical -and you can't say that there aren't reasons to be-, others are optimistic, few are bitter.

Edited by - Irennan on 03 Feb 2015 20:57:43
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  00:09:45  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I'm not sure what's hurting the Realms more, the lack of content being released or the constant bile being thrown around by "fans".

Dunno that I'm throwing any bile here. I'm more than willing to support at 5e Realms book. That is IF one is ever made and IF it is of any quality. That's what's being discussed here. WotC was at first dismissive (we aren't making one), then intentionally vague (what we meant was we might make one someday), and is now totally silent on the issue. Add to that a downsizing staff that was already a skeleton crew and you get worried fans, not angry ones.

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  01:23:03  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not entirely sure the silence is a bad thing, in a way. While I would personally love more communication, there was a very similar silence before the release date for the 5E Core Rules was officially announced. Granted, we had more rumors and leaks back then, but fewer rumors now could simply indicate that they've plugged the hole.
Just an idea. I'm not trying to be antagonistic or anything, just bouncing ideas around.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  01:49:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
People should not be so quick to assume there are only eight people working on D&D. See EN World's front page for a pretty extensive list of individuals working on the game.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  02:18:25  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowsoul, I totally agree with you that it is crazy to have to wait this long. As someone else wrote here at the 'Keep recently, in this day and age, with social media empowering creators and fans to stay in near-instantaneous contact, with numerous media available to keep the world apprised of progress, and ever more ways to torturously tease and tempt consumers, we're getting ridiculously little.

That said, I'm not in nearly as bad a shape as a lot of other peeps. I'm way behind on my Drizzt stories, as well as the rest of the Realms--always have been. And one of the benefits of being so behind the times as a fan is that I am always playing catch-up to the "present" of the world. Even when that present has effectively stalled out like it seems to have here, it still remains far ahead of where I am. The space between insulates me from any immediate effects that you now-now-NOW! folks have set yourselves up for.

Maybe the lyrics to <that song> kinda accurately reflect the relationship between Realms fans and Realms designers?

quote:
You cannot quit me so quickly
Is no hope in you for me
No corner you could squeeze me
But I got all the time for you, love

The space between the tears we cry
Is the laughter keeps us coming back for more
The space between the wicked lies we tell
And hope to keep safe from the pain

But will I hold you again?

These fickle, fuddled words confuse me
Like, "Will it rain today?"
Waste the hours with talking, talking
These twisted games we're playing

We're strange allies with warring hearts
What a wild-eyed BEAST you'll be
The space between the wicked lies we tell
And hope to keep safe from the pain

But will I hold you again?
Will I hold?

Look at us spinning out in the madness of a roller coaster
You know you went off like the Devil in a church
In the middle of a crowded room
All we can do, my love is hope we don't take this ship down

But the space between where you're smilin' high
Is where you'll find me if I get to go
The space between the bullets in our firefight
Is where I'll be hiding, waiting for you

The rain that falls splash in your heart
Ran like sadness down the window into your room
The space between our wicked lies
Is where we hope to keep safe from pain

Take my hand 'cause we're walking out of here
Oh, right out of here, love is all we need, dear

The space between what's wrong and right
Is where you'll find me hiding, waiting for you
The space between your heart and mine
Is the space we'll fill with time

The space between
The space between

--The Dave Matthews Band, "The Space Between"

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  02:27:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eberron doesn't change between editions, the setting doesn't move forward in time the way FR does so new fluff isn't needed, just crunch to go with 5e.

I wonder if FR will get an UA soon, with say Shadar-Kai, Aasimar, and Eldarin in it?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  02:28:49  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

People should not be so quick to assume there are only eight people working on D&D. See EN World's front page for a pretty extensive list of individuals working on the game.

If you are referring to http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2308-The-Unsing- Female -Half-of-the-D-D-Team!#.VNGDN52G8go, then I'd argue that the number of people working on the game is indeed 8, the rest is working on equally important administrative tasks, but not related to the development of the game itself and its settings.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  03:48:44  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You ought to re-read the article then. You'll find the number is more than eight.

Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2015 :  04:01:59  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You ought to re-read the article then. You'll find the number is more than eight.

quote:
EN World currently lists the following people being on the D&D team: Mike Mearls, Jeremy Crawford, Chris Perkins, Greg Bilsland, Rodney Thompson, Peter Lee, Matt Sernett, and Adam Lee.

That list should include Kate Irwin, Dan Gelon, and Shauna Narciso, the art directors who oversee the creation of all art for D&D. The list should also have Bree Heiss and Emi Tanji, who created the gorgeous interior designs of the core books and who worked tirelessly with me, Chris Perkins, and Kate Irwin to lay out those books. Most recently, Kate, Emi, Chris, and I have been collaborating to bring Princes of the Apocalypse to completion. The way we work, art affects text and vice versa.

The list is only complete with Richard Whitters, our amazing R&D concept artist and world builder, who works with Chris Perkins and Adam Lee in shaping the stories and worlds we plan to visit in the coming years. A fun fact: the fabulous condition sketches in the Player's Handbook are by Richard.

The list should name Chris Youngs, Ben Petrisor, Tom Olsen, and Chris Dupuis, members of D&D R&D who work with our video game partners; who work on board games, like the upcoming Temple of Elemental Evil; who review numerous licensed products, like the WizKids miniatures; and who are part of our internal testing of the RPG.

The list needs Nathan Stewart, Liz Schuh, Chris Lindsay, Shelly Mazzanoble, Hilary Ross, Laura Tommervik, Kim Lundstrom, and Trevor Kidd—all members of the D&D brand team. They collaborate with R&D on shaping product plans, creating future stories, gathering playtest data, working with freelancers and outside game studios, planning convention events, and dealing with innumerable other parts of the D&D business.

The list should mention Chris Tulach, who oversees the Adventurer's League and who has participated in many design meetings for the RPG over the years.

I could keep going and going. The core books wouldn't have made it out of the building without the D&D project managers—John Hay and Neil Shinkle—making sure all our departments were working in sync with each other. Our books would never see print without people like Jefferson Dunlap and Cynda Callaway working with our printers. Our gathering of playtest data and potential errata is always helped by Sam Simpson and the rest of our enthusiastic customer service team. We also get feedback and occasional loans of personnel from Magic R&D. For instance, James Wyatt did his final work on the Dungeon Master's Guide while on the Magic team.

And everything we do is in consultation with Bill Rose, the vice president of R&D, and with the rest of the company's executive team.

None of this begins to scratch the surface when it comes to our contractors. People like Michele Carter, Anita Williams, and Robert Schwalb aren't on our staff, but each of them played a key part in creating the fifth edition books. And currently, Dan Helmick is a full-time contractor working for us in-house.

Oh boy, I said was going to keep this short. It's easy for me to get enthusiastic when acknowledging the contributions of the diverse group of people who make D&D what it is today!

A careful look at this list will reveal that many of these people oversee things that have nothing to do with designing new tabletop gaming books. Several of them are in marketing (who clearly are doing nothing to promote a FR book, btw) video game design (neverwinter, pretty much) and other tasks which do not directly relate to a FR sourcebook.

The remainder is about 15 or so folks, which is close to my original number back on page one. Either way that is a much smaller team that we've seen on past projects.

This is all really pointless argument at this moment, however. Wotc gave us the brush off, then a "wait and see" and now silence. Maybe they'll give us a book soon (I doubt it), maybe they'll give us a book in roughly two years (I think so) or maybe they won't give us a book at all (possibly, but I hope not). All we can do is wait...or not...and that's the point of this thread.

As for me, my current game will end sometime in Fall this year. When that is done a friend is DMing in his homebrew world. That game should last another year. If by GenCon 2016 we don't have a book or the promise of a book, I'm not waiting. I'll be resetting my clock to 1375 DR. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000