Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Realms-L list is shutting down
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  07:51:50  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My crawl completed at over one million files, and after some minor modifications, spot checks of the lists (all lists except DCI New Zealand, Japan Champs, and Japan Event Organizers, which were password protected) show they work. The files need a lot of cleanup before they can go live anywhere though.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Edited by - AuldDragon on 05 Feb 2015 07:52:28
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  18:53:07  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great news!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2015 :  21:35:09  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great effort everyone. I remember the REALMS-L with great fondness. It was the primary reason I maintained an interest in the Forgotten Realms, given I wasn't part of a gaming group and lived a long way away from the US and Canada. It gave me and others a chance to show our love for the Realms; just like we do here.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  02:59:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've saved a fair share of the most relevant REALMS-L material from folk like Ed, Steven, George, and a few others over the years. I know, and so does George, that ALL of his Impiltur-related material from the REALMS-L is now all presently in the compilation files of lore that I finished for him. They're likely sitting on his HD.

Over the years, I've stored most of what I've saved from the Mailing List into a separate archive. So if any scribes are looking for anything in particular, I can probably search what I have for you to find it. If I have it, of course.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2015 :  05:57:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Over the years, I've stored most of what I've saved from the Mailing List into a separate archive. So if any scribes are looking for anything in particular, I can probably search what I have for you to find it. If I have it, of course.

Of course, getting a response out of you in a timely manner is an entirely different prospect.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2015 :  09:04:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Of course, getting a response out of you in a timely manner is an entirely different prospect.

Of course if you learn to operate in SageTime then you will already have asked Sage for what you need several years before you need it.

I still can't operate with SageTime correctly though. I get frequent runtime errors that cause daily bouts of unconsciousness lasting up to 8 hours and the headaches the time lapse causes require frequent medication with large volumes of alcohol.

On a more serious note, i'm glad to see most if not all of it got saved. If a spare pair of hands are needed for the formatting/grunt work then i'm more than happy to donate mine. I usually have a spare 4-5 hours free at work each day so providing my employer doesnt block my activities i'd like to help in whatever way i can.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2015 :  21:26:18  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AuldDragon

My crawl completed at over one million files, and after some minor modifications, spot checks of the lists (all lists except DCI New Zealand, Japan Champs, and Japan Event Organizers, which were password protected) show they work. The files need a lot of cleanup before they can go live anywhere though.

Jeff

Excellent news! I was halfway through and my computer died! Just got my new one thinking "Crap! 6 days left..." Nice work AuldDragon! When you have it ready to go up, LMK.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2015 :  21:30:50  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also went to Wayback Machine (because I did this when the 3.x web enhancements started to vanish) and loaded in the main Realms page. From there, it should allow access to the other pages long after its down.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150209212808/http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/realms-l.html

Copy/paste entire link into new tab.

Also did Al-Qadim here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20150209213203/http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/al-qadim-l.html

I'm also grabbing personal copies by using a crawler found here:
http://www.httrack.com/

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

Edited by - Joebing on 09 Feb 2015 21:45:29
Go to Top of Page

Arian Dynas
Acolyte

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  21:43:41  Show Profile Send Arian Dynas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You guys are heroes.

I never read the Realms-L list back in the day, but I am so happy to see that the hard work you all are doing is going to save all this wonderful work.
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  22:47:29  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I backed up the ENTIRE L-Forums, and it can be read offline as it could online. Clocks in at just over 600 MB. Make sure you read the "READ ME.TXT" in the folder for instructions on how to use. Here is the link to it in my Google Drive (hope this is okay)

(REUPLOADING)

At least it has a home for now...and like I said, if you download it, you can read it offline. all the links work if you download the ENTIRE folder offline.

Edited by - Joebing on 12 Feb 2015 23:27:01
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  23:38:29  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joebing

Okay, I backed up the ENTIRE L-Forums, and it can be read offline as it could online. Clocks in at just over 600 MB. Make sure you read the "READ ME.TXT" in the folder for instructions on how to use. Here is the link to it in my Google Drive (hope this is okay)

(REUPLOADING)

At least it has a home for now...and like I said, if you download it, you can read it offline. all the links work if you download the ENTIRE folder offline.

Bless you. I hereby name you "Savior of the L-Forums," and nominate you for sainthood (or whatever comes closest to it in the faiths of Denir and Oghma.)

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  00:13:27  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

(REUPLOADING)

Bless you. I hereby name you "Savior of the L-Forums," and nominate you for sainthood (or whatever comes closest to it in the faiths of Denir and Oghma.)

LOL! Thanks. Trying to get it all up into my Google Drive is proving difficult, but I WILL get it within the next few days. Might have to .zip or .rar it.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  00:16:53  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

(REUPLOADING)

LOL! Thanks. Trying to get it all up into my Google Drive is proving difficult, but I WILL get it within the next few days. Might have to .zip or .rar it.

You are most welcome, kind sir. Either format works for me. As soon as it's available, it's getting burned to a CD and backed up on a flash drive. (I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to Realmslore... I've got more than I've read.... Fortunately, my wife understands.)

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  00:37:28  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(REUPLOADING)

Wait, so you backed up all of the other mailing lists(Greyhawk, Planescape etc) as well? Thank you so much! I was worried what will happen to other mailing lists, aside from the Realms one.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  02:25:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(REUPLOADING)

Have you removed the link?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  16:27:29  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but only because uploading to Google Drive is causing some loss of data in transfer. I still have it all, but I need a way to upload the entirity. I'm thinking maybe .RAR or .ZIP

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  16:35:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try a .zip. I've put 600 mb worth of text and other files in a single zip on google drive before. It doesnt appear to have lost any information although i cant say that i've bothered to check it that thoroughly i just assumed it would be fine.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  19:33:41  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Done. New link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Nr7mDMQwcHSmxDRmVObjJyTUk/view?usp=sharing

Someone test this and LMK if it works please. .RAR format, so you will need to unpack. Make sure to read the READ ME.TXT in the folder

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  19:55:17  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Done. New link:

Someone test this and LMK if it works please. .RAR format, so you will need to unpack. Make sure to read the READ ME.TXT in the folder

Downloaded, unpacked, and read the readme. Started with the index and navigated to the Realms-L page without issue. Everything looks to be in order. I didn't notice a page not formatting properly or anything. May Oghma bless you with long life, and many happy children (or whatever you want out of life.)

Edit: Is there a way to search the list, or do you need to already have an idea of where to look and use ye old Ctrl + F on a page? I tried clicking the "search the archives" link, and it lead me to the search form, but that doesn't seem to work when I click Submit. I didn't expect it to work that way, but if there's an easy way to do it, I'd be obliged.

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 17 Feb 2015 20:27:31
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  20:27:49  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Delwa, and thank you for the Forging the Realms pdfs.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  20:33:23  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you Delwa, and thank you for the Forging the Realms pdfs.

No problem. Glad I could help with some part of this, even if it was just clicking links.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  21:34:35  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Done. New link:

Works awesome. One thing I did right away is make shortcuts to the different list links and place them in the first folder. That way I don't need to find the oracle.*******.*** folder every time. Saves time - I thought I might share the idea.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  11:21:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it just me or is anyone having trouble accessing some of the earliest posts (and searching on the archive as well).

It's probably just my work pc though blocking my access to anything fun or interesting

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  14:02:58  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Is it just me or is anyone having trouble accessing some of the earliest posts (and searching on the archive as well).

It's probably just my work pc though blocking my access to anything fun or interesting

I'm having trouble searching. I just assumed that the search function wasn't supposed to work, but I could be wrong.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  15:28:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, i'm just randomly strolling through the archives and boy were people riled up by 4E.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  15:55:18  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wait until you get to the 2E-3E turnover.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  16:01:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant imagine anything being worse than the 4e one. I can see people calling certain other people "scum", "liar", "condescending a**hole". Its like people lost their minds.

I'm so glad the worst i've done is accuse a company of being dishonest in their declared intentions.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  16:14:56  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Wait until you get to the 2E-3E turnover.

It's not that 3E was bad, I grew to like it enough to play in, especially because the OGL nearly became the industry standard. It rolled out the welcome mat for other games I took a liking to as well, like Mutants & Masterminds. I remember the long wait of NOTHING when TSR went under, WotC bought it, and decided to keep releasing 2E products. It was a wait, but one worth it for products like Cloak & Dagger when the product schedule resumed.

Edited by - Rymac on 18 Feb 2015 16:21:41
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  17:16:02  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't get me wrong: 3E reignited my interest in the game, and led to a decade-plus of great gaming in the Realms (and Eberron, and third party settings) for me and my players.

My point had more to do with what occurred on the list once the Realms under 3E came about. The plus side from all that back and forth was we got to learn a lot about why WotC did what they did with D&D and the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  21:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am I doing something wrong? I'm trying to browse through, and I'm getting a lot of "not found" errors. For example, when I click on "January 1999, week 5" then click on the link, "FAITHS, Mask and Kelemvor" and then click on the link "Re: FAITHS, Mask and Kelemvor, (46 lines)" I get a "This webpage is not found" error. I get similar errors on other links. Is this a problem I can fix on my end, or is this a problem with the files?

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000