Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon 2015
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2015 :  16:39:26  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ours is waiting at the post office. Just saw yesterday that Summer Glau is going to be a media guest of honor, and they are selling event tickets to either get a photo taken with her or get a signed picture. Not sure if anyone here is a Firefly fan or not, but figured I'd pass that along.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  00:06:51  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoping to attend GenCon with my dad, but I need some assistance in how to get into the event. I've seen the Facebook post about such but this is the first time I'll ever be attending such, so any help would be DIRELY appreciated.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  01:27:21  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

Hoping to attend GenCon with my dad, but I need some assistance in how to get into the event. I've seen the Facebook post about such but this is the first time I'll ever be attending such, so any help would be DIRELY appreciated.

Which event do you mean, specifically? The Candlekeep Presents seminar? Gen Con in general? Or something else?

I'm happy to help. Just need a small bit of specifics.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  01:49:16  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The starting point is to buy a ticket for the GENCON event. When you've done that you can access the website and obtain tickets for the events that interest you.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2015 :  02:18:19  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Which event do you mean, specifically? The Candlekeep Presents seminar? Gen Con in general? Or something else?

For one thing, I was hoping to at least meet up at the Ball & Biscuit on Thursday, July 30th. The Candlekeep Presents seminar as well if possible.

Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766

Edited by - Galuf the Dwarf on 21 Jun 2015 02:36:12
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2015 :  15:57:54  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

For one thing, I was hoping to at least meet up at the Ball & Biscuit on Thursday, July 30th. The Candlekeep Presents seminar as well if possible.
Well, if you've got your badge, the next step is to sign up for Candlekeep Presents. Though free, the event will sell out, and we can't allow more than the allotted headcount into the room (which means you'd be stuck on the no-ticket line, hoping to get in). The event page is here.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2015 :  18:33:52  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did receive notice that the venue changed for Candlekeep Presents (thus, they should be allowing more people!).

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2015 :  19:45:09  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I did receive notice that the venue changed for Candlekeep Presents (thus, they should be allowing more people!).
We're limited to 140 (given the size of our group and the number of panelists we usually have, we can't go over that). So if you have a ticket, great! Otherwise, there will be a non-ticketed line to take in folks that don't have tickets, once all our ticketed guests are seated.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  16:10:47  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just carrying this over from the Women in the Realms thread:

quote:

Just to update everyone that's asked, in various quarters, as to whether we will be doing another fundraiser this year, the answer is yes.

The site for the fundraiser is http://www.gofundme.com/Candlekeep2015

Currently, we have some reward options available for pins from 2012, 2014, or this year's 2015 pin. If we raise enough funds, we plan to do a redesign of the 2014 Harper pin, in limited quantities. It will be different enough that you can tell at a glance that it's not the same, but still have the look and feel of a genuine Harper badge. Which, of course, is what everybody wants. (If you're planning to contribute, but are also interested in the Harper pin, please let us know in your donation comments; we can always bump you up later.)

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  18:03:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also posted the link to the Scribes Facebook group.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  20:11:30  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Also posted the link to the Scribes Facebook group.
Thanks!

The response so far has been great, and is swiftly approaching overwhelming. Just a little farther, and we can start looking into those Harper pins...
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  20:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick query. The Shuttle for gencon.. Is it a necessary evil? I'll be driving a rental from SC to our hotel, which is 7 miles from the convention. Is it insane suicide to try and drive & park myself? I don't mind walking several blocks if I must.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  20:19:28  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Quick query. The Shuttle for gencon.. Is it a necessary evil? I'll be driving a rental from SC to our hotel, which is 7 miles from the convention. Is it insane suicide to try and drive & park myself? I don't mind walking several blocks if I must.
This is going to depend on three factors: how far you are willing to walk, what times of day you'll be near the convention center, and how much you're willing to pay for parking.

There is valet, overnight, and other sorts of parking in the area, but it can cost upwards of $30 for the day if you don't plan well.

I highly recommend http://www.indyparking.com/ for research purposes...
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2015 :  20:38:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

This is going to depend on three factors: how far you are willing to walk, what times of day you'll be near the convention center, and how much you're willing to pay for parking.

There is valet, overnight, and other sorts of parking in the area, but it can cost upwards of $30 for the day if you don't plan well.

I highly recommend http://www.indyparking.com/ for research purposes...

Thanks for the swift reply and link! I'm willing to walk a couple miles myself, but not the seven miles from the hotel. Our earliest event is at 11, the Cathedral tour on Thursday. Everything else is in the afternoon or evening.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  00:12:33  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're not there early in the morning (i.e. 7-8), prepare to pay the upwards to $30 for parking that is a long haul from the convention center (at least five-six blocks). I used the shuttle last year and, except for the first day (they were caught off-guard by the number of people using the shuttle), it was pretty decent. Of course, it's not free... $6 one way/$12 round trip.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2015 :  00:34:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AND, apparently it's reservation only this year for the shuttle. GenCon Shuttle

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2015 :  00:57:57  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, this just in as far as my involvement. I should be flying in Friday and be there for that day and Saturday. Sunday, unfortunately, I need to return.

Go to Top of Page

lilibat
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2015 :  12:11:33  Show Profile  Visit lilibat's Homepage Send lilibat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cabs are fairly cheap IIRC. We sometimes take one rather than get our car out of valet.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2015 :  14:06:22  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could probably use Uber or Lyft too.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2015 :  17:04:56  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot attend (AGAIN), but might I make a suggestion for any overachieving con-attenders out there? In the military, there is a standard template for a document concerning all planned operations, called an Operation Order (OPORD). It seems like it would be a great idea to take all these little tidbits of practical con wisdom and put them into such a doc, so that potential con-goers could download all that wisdom in one place, indexed and everything. Just announce timely changes here, and formally update it from time to time. I'd do it myself if I actually knew anything about GenCon.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 27 Jun 2015 17:09:25
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2015 :  01:01:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

I cannot attend (AGAIN), but might I make a suggestion for any overachieving con-attenders out there? In the military, there is a standard template for a document concerning all planned operations, called an Operation Order (OPORD). It seems like it would be a great idea to take all these little tidbits of practical con wisdom and put them into such a doc, so that potential con-goers could download all that wisdom in one place, indexed and everything. Just announce timely changes here, and formally update it from time to time. I'd do it myself if I actually knew anything about GenCon.

They already exist. I read several in the lead-up to my first GENCON.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2015 :  03:16:42  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, my dad and I are registered, but will be picking up our badges at the convention center. Plane, hotel and car rental are booked. All systems go!

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2015 :  06:20:43  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

They already exist. I read several in the lead-up to my first GENCON.

-- George Krashos

OK. I was just suggesting that they be included here, as opposed to only adding little tidbits here and there in separate posts.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2015 :  17:50:12  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Okay, my dad and I are registered, but will be picking up our badges at the convention center. Plane, hotel and car rental are booked. All systems go!
Great news!

If you're planning on coming to Candlekeep, make sure you sign up for tickets (the event ID is SEM1568164). There are only 8 left!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2015 :  12:37:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My gift should be winging its way electronically to you as I type Brian. Looking forward to hearing how the seminar went and what Realms stuff is revealed.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
485 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2015 :  01:25:29  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Great news!

If you're planning on coming to Candlekeep, make sure you sign up for tickets (the event ID is SEM1568164). There are only 8 left!

I got one for myself only, because my dad would 99% likely not care to attend that part itself. There were 5 left before I bought mine (now 4, obviously). We're talking about the "Women of the Forgotten Realms" event, though, right?

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2015 :  04:22:15  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My family and I will be attending this year, along with our newborn daughter. I finally purchased my parking, which was at one more complicated and yet more simplistic than I thought it would be. Oh well, my spots are secured, so I won't be freaking out once I arrive.

To Garen and Ashe, thank you for the information and the link for parking. It was much appreciated.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  18:22:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, damn. Just got this email about the Spin A Yarn event.

quote:
Hello,

This is to inform you that the above mentioned event has been cancelled by the Event Host. Below is a message that they asked to share.

As we are in the final stages of fulfilment, you will more than likely receive a ticket for this event. Because it is a free event there is no refund, so please disregard the ticket.

= = = =

Dear Friends,

Regretfully, we are forced to cancel this year’s Spin a Yarn with Ed Greenwood seminar.

As many of you may already know, Ed will not be able to attend Gen Con this year. While we tried to find a way to bring you a piece of Ed’s magic, in the end, Spin a Yarn is not the same without the Ed for whom it’s named; as a result, we are cancelling the event.

Spin a Yarn will return the next time Ed is able to attend Gen Con (we hope next year!), but rather than have everyone show up to an empty room, we’d like everyone to try and find something else to do with their afternoon. Event registration is still open, and there are plenty of events . Take advantage of it!

I wish you all a fun and entertaining Gen Con, full of laughs and friendship and—of course—gaming.

Warmest Regards,

Brian Cortijo

Event Organizer

= = =

Safe travels and see you soon!

I understand that family comes first, and I'm certainly not complaining about having that commitment. I am disappointed, though, that I won't get to meet Ed on this, my first trip to GenCon.

...Guess I don't need to worry about bringing my copy of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, either. I was going to get it signed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Jul 2015 18:23:24
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  18:34:10  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Well, damn. Just got this email about the Spin A Yarn event.

quote:
Hello,

This is to inform you that the above mentioned event has been cancelled by the Event Host. Below is a message that they asked to share.

As we are in the final stages of fulfilment, you will more than likely receive a ticket for this event. Because it is a free event there is no refund, so please disregard the ticket.

= = = =

Dear Friends,

Regretfully, we are forced to cancel this year’s Spin a Yarn with Ed Greenwood seminar.

As many of you may already know, Ed will not be able to attend Gen Con this year. While we tried to find a way to bring you a piece of Ed’s magic, in the end, Spin a Yarn is not the same without the Ed for whom it’s named; as a result, we are cancelling the event.

Spin a Yarn will return the next time Ed is able to attend Gen Con (we hope next year!), but rather than have everyone show up to an empty room, we’d like everyone to try and find something else to do with their afternoon. Event registration is still open, and there are plenty of events . Take advantage of it!

I wish you all a fun and entertaining Gen Con, full of laughs and friendship and—of course—gaming.

Warmest Regards,

Brian Cortijo

Event Organizer

= = =

Safe travels and see you soon!

I understand that family comes first, and I'm certainly not complaining about having that commitment. I am disappointed, though, that I won't get to meet Ed on this, my first trip to GenCon.

...Guess I don't need to worry about bringing my copy of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, either. I was going to get it signed.

Unfortunately, we've known Ed wasn't coming for a while. We were holding off on cancelling until we were sure we couldn't turn the event into something that was still entertaining enough for people, given that Ed wouldn't be there. When I was sure we couldn't do that, I went ahead and cancelled.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2015 :  21:35:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What further adds to my disappointment is that I just the other day thought of what I was going to suggest for the Spin A Yarn... I was taking Krash's prior suggestion to heart, of coming up with something I'd like to see revisited, instead of just coming up with something silly...

Guess I'll have to sit on it until the next time I go.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000