Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 GenCon 2015
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  21:11:35  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Make sure to register right away for your events. It may appear to be a lot of activities, but everything fills up extremely fast.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  21:18:39  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

So I was looking at the GenCon event listing... And holy mother of Lurue, there's a metric buttload more stuff than I expected!

Any particular suggestions or recommendations? Obviously, I'm interested in any Realms stuff, but I'm also interested in checking out new stuff.

I second this. Other than the Candlekeep thing, I've no idea what to look for.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  22:37:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having never done this before... Perhaps one of the veterans can offer more info about the registration process, for specific events.

At what point do you pay for events you plan on attending? And I'm assuming that if you don't care for an event, too bad, you pays your money and you takes your chances... Is that correct?

And I'm noticing different location listings -- ICC, Marriott, Embassy Suites, etc... Are all these places in one general area, or is there going to be transit between locations involved?

Obviously, I found the Spin a Yarn and Candlekeep Seminar listings. Those are musts, for me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  00:49:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) You pay for events next week when registration goes live. You can set up your wish list now from the online catalog (HERE), including prioritizing the events so that when everything goes live, it will process your request quicker.

a) All event tickets are fully refundable up to the start time of the event.

b) There are also Generic Tickets for $2 each. Most tables will accept generic tickets in lieu of actual tickets, for the same value of the actual ticket (i.e. if the event costs $16 does for the slot, you can use 8 generics to pay for the slot). You can get into sold out events this way, but if an actual event holder shows up, you'll relinquish the seat to them (and get your tickets back).

2) Events are all over the inner city district. Events are all within walking distance of each other, but the distance may be a good 15 minute walk (30 if your laden with goodies). The ICC is the convention center, other locations are local hotels and such. Most are within 5 blocks of the convention center and there are skyways between many of the buildings. I've yet seen anyone that has needed to drive from one event to another.

3) Transit addendum: They have a ton of shuttles from the Convention Center to outlying hotels and, save some bumps, usually are reliable. If you're not fond of shuttles, parking will probably cost you $25+ a day in the garages, and you'll want to get to the garages super early for they fill up FAST.

quote:

Having never done this before... Perhaps one of the veterans can offer more info about the registration process, for specific events.

At what point do you pay for events you plan on attending? And I'm assuming that if you don't care for an event, too bad, you pays your money and you takes your chances... Is that correct?

And I'm noticing different location listings -- ICC, Marriott, Embassy Suites, etc... Are all these places in one general area, or is there going to be transit between locations involved?

Obviously, I found the Spin a Yarn and Candlekeep Seminar listings. Those are musts, for me.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  00:55:30  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other tips:

1) Some things tend to sell out VERY quickly. Especially True Dungeon, if you're interested. Which is why I highly recommend using the wish list and processing it as soon as the registration goes live.

2) Don't fill up all your time slots. Pick the 3-5 things you REALLY want to do and buy generics when you're there to get into other things. (For me, it's Candlekeep, Glitter Guild Burlesque and the Official Shadowrun LARP.)

3) I always recommend giving yourself 2-4 hours to simply walk around the Exhibit Hall and get your spending on. It is worth it. And there are tons of free demos going on.

4) Plan out your meal times too. Restaurants, especially the faster-food places, get crowded quick.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  01:13:13  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice, Ashe. I greatly appreciate it.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  04:10:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The two times I've been to GENCON has made me wonder how people get any gaming in given all that there is to see and do!

As an FR junkie, my "musts" for the convention are the Candlekeep Seminar and Spin a Yarn. While WotC's seminar on the Realms appears like you are going to get the big scoop, I've found that it is more an exercise in generalities and "lots of awesome stuff coming, just wait and see"-hyperbole.

Definitely set aside a morning or afternoon to cruise the gaming hall. Do True Dungeon if you can get a group together - did it for the first time last year and it was a blast!

Book early, go hard, sleep the week after.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

lilibat
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  09:59:14  Show Profile  Visit lilibat's Homepage Send lilibat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will be there. It's looking like our group of 2 (Bard & Warlock) is becoming a full party since our spouses and a couple other friends will be joining us in costume if all goes well. Now I have to make armor for my husband as well as finishing my Tiefling garb. Only 77 days to go, I better get back to work.
Go to Top of Page

Nai_Calus
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  09:16:53  Show Profile  Visit Nai_Calus's Homepage Send Nai_Calus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regrettably, I will not be there again this year. It's simply too expensive to get there. :<

Will there be another fundraiser for the Candlekeep seminar pins this year like last year so those of us who can't get there can pitch in to help and get a pin? It was lovely last year being able to do that even if I couldn't be there in the flesh. (Actually, is there a seminar thread this year? I can't find it. I don't get here often enough, too many forums to keep up with.)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  19:07:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there mention of a gathering outside of GenCon? Trying to plan everything, now, since I can now look at events.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2015 :  19:43:52  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep! Right here

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  00:10:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, picking events, I'm left with some gaps where I plan to just wander, see demos, shop, etc... Are the scheduled events the only ones you have to pay for, or should I get like general tickets in case something interesting pops up whilst I am wandering?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  12:45:53  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The scheduled events are the only ones you have to pay for. Demos in the Exhibition Hall are free.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  13:06:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

1) You pay for events next week when registration goes live. You can set up your wish list now from the online catalog (HERE), including prioritizing the events so that when everything goes live, it will process your request quicker.

So does putting stuff on the wish list automatically sign you up, when it goes live, or do you still have to register for everything?

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  13:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I'm understanding it right, when the Event Registration goes live, you click the button to submit your wishlist and it fulfills the list in order of the priority you set. If someone else gets all the slots available before you, you don't get that event.
After they process your wishlist, you have a few hours to pay, otherwise the events you signed up for go back on the shelf for anyone to grab.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  13:32:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

So does putting stuff on the wish list automatically sign you up, when it goes live, or do you still have to register for everything?

You still have to log in and hit process on your wishlist when it goes live. The list just makes it so you don't have to search for each event as it goes live.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  17:47:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, thanks for that info.

For paying, is it plastic only, or do they take the PayPal?

Also... Other than Spin A Yarn, is there anything else WotC-related? (Actual WotC events, not D&D or Lords of Waterdeep sessions)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 May 2015 17:48:11
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  20:19:27  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about PayPal, I've paid with plastic. Since they don't take it for the badges, I don't think they do for the events. But I *do* know that if you want to refund tickets in person at GenCon, they will refund your card directly.

I honestly don't know. Not even the 5E RPGA events are being run by WotC, but instead by Baldman Games. Last year, WotC's main presence wasn't even in the Exhibit Hall, and only had 4-5 people working a counter. I looked through the Event Catalog, but there is NOTHING being run directly by WotC. And their Conventions page at wizards only has info from GenCon 2014. They aren't even listed on the Exhibit Hall Map...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  20:23:09  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't know about PayPal, I've paid with plastic. Since they don't take it for the badges, I don't think they do for the events. But I *do* know that if you want to refund tickets in person at GenCon, they will refund your card directly.

I honestly don't know. Not even the 5E RPGA events are being run by WotC, but instead by Baldman Games. Last year, WotC's main presence wasn't even in the Exhibit Hall, and only had 4-5 people working a counter. I looked through the Event Catalog, but there is NOTHING being run directly by WotC. And their Conventions page at wizards only has info from GenCon 2014. They aren't even listed on the Exhibit Hall Map...

Yeah, I noticed that, too. Is it normal / possible for them to sign up late and have their own thing outside the Exhibit area? It seems I remember hearing speculation about this kind of thing when 5e was released, but as I wasn't going to GenCon, I didn't pay enough attention to have a clear memory on the subject.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  20:40:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They technically haven't been in the Exhibit Hall for the last three years. It might just be there's nothing to report because they will have their own area, but I haven't heard anything yet and the fact that their web presence hasn't been updated...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  20:45:36  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They technically haven't been in the Exhibit Hall for the last three years. It might just be there's nothing to report because they will have their own area, but I haven't heard anything yet and the fact that their web presence hasn't been updated...

Their web site doesn't bother me too much. They have been up to a month behind on getting several articles up on time for product release. With the Minsc and Boo comics, they were a month ahead of IDW when they'd announce a new issue release.
It wouldn't surprise me to see them wait and update the page two weeks before the con.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  21:35:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have loved to have gone to GenCon back in the day to see Fortress TSR... I recall reading in Dragon magazine, with great delight, Roger E Moore's recountings of attending GenCon and the shenanigans at each one. Like the one where he solemnly swore, several times, to not have any knowledge of throwing paper airplanes from the balconies, because that would be wrong...

Go to Top of Page

Euranna
Learned Scribe

USA
219 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2015 :  03:46:52  Show Profile Send Euranna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I remember correctly, all the WotC stuff went up after the event registration went live. Though since they are not having Bon out, I'm not sure they will be doing a lot this year (?)
Go to Top of Page

Nai_Calus
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2015 :  07:06:30  Show Profile  Visit Nai_Calus's Homepage Send Nai_Calus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I last went in 2013, but the last couple of years I went at least, WotC didn't get their events up until well after event reg. Like, June or even July.
Go to Top of Page

lilibat
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2015 :  07:20:45  Show Profile  Visit lilibat's Homepage Send lilibat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC always puts stuff up last minute it seems like.

They aren't in the main hall because they have a HUGE area which isn't always fully staffed but they do gaming events in there, signings and such. It's nice because you don't have to fight the general crowds to get to their stuff.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2015 :  17:11:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy carp! I clicked on the button to submit my wish list at like 12:00:10 -- I was not wanting to just sit and stare at the clock... Now I'm 3200 in queue for processing...

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2015 :  17:26:37  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Holy carp! I clicked on the button to submit my wish list at like 12:00:10 -- I was not wanting to just sit and stare at the clock... Now I'm 3200 in queue for processing...

I clicked the second it went live by the countdown timer on the page, started out as 705 in line. My wife processed her wishlist a half second later and was something like 1678 in line. The line is moving fairly quickly, though. I'm finished, and wife is at 520.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2015 :  18:11:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got thru... Registered for 8 of the 10 events I had picked. Luckily, the Candlekeep gathering and Spin a Yarn were at the top of my list, and I got those.

I know even registration is going to continue filling up, but I'll worry about those other two timeslots later. If I don't fill them, then it's more time for demos and wandering the main hall!

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2015 :  18:25:02  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just registered for the Candlekeep Presents: The Women of the Forgotten Realms and Spin a Yarn. Anything else related to Candlekeep or the Realms that I need to add? I want to have a chance to meet you guys, after all. Also, so you have to sign up for getting books signed, or is that elsewhere and free?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 17 May 2015 21:06:52
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2015 :  18:29:40  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost forgot... how do you purchase generic tickets?

Ah... I found it. Felt kind of stupid overlooking it the first two times. I guess I was just so excited I missed it...

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 17 May 2015 18:45:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000