Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Maps of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3218 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  14:28:37  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad i could help. Nice map by the way.

Hopefully at some point you can find a way to turn the writing on/off maybe by hovering over it or with a button for the various layers.

Also the ability to highlight regions would be useful. For instance the Direwood is a large portion of the High Forest, similarly Old Earlann and Turlang's Wood are also portions of the High Forest that may contain other landmarks.

I've noted a number of places you havent placed yet (just within the High Forest)

North Fork (i think its the name of that lower fork you mentioned as being missing.

Tall Trees - a small northeastern section of the forest (probably between Elven Port and Hellgate Keep)

The Old Road - the name of the road leading to mhilamniir from elven port

Farsilver - an ancient fortress due north of loudwater

Lothen - somewhere west of the star mounts in where siluvanede used to be.

Noanar's Hold - You have it on the map as Noantar's Hold, but maybe there is a reason for that, i just always thought it was Noanar's

Shaalkar Manor - this one might not be in the High Forest but its a potential ruin of the Vyshaan Empire so could be in the High Forest.

Onthrilaenthor - a mine carved by dwarves (for the elves) into the eastern star mounts

Teumyshaaril - located in the heart of the high forest near the ancient elven tree city of Teuveamanthaar (i reckon both are between the star mounts and lost peaks near the centre of the forest.

Darkmaiden’s Leap - Somewhere southest of Everlund possibly in Turlang's Wood

Hall of Mists + Tree Ghost Camp - Both located in, around, under the Grandfather Tree

The Sorrowood - Located in the crook of the Star Mounts possibly in the fork of the unicorn run (which might cause problems with nordhaeril)

The Upvale - Basically the woods around Hellgate Keep

Not sure if you were looking for more places to include but i thought id try and be helpful.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  14:40:29  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turning the type on and off my be in option, I'll have to look into it.

I'm definitely looking for more places to add. I'll put those on my list.
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3218 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  14:53:04  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shall crack open my archives then and begin looking for more things to add.

Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3218 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  15:11:58  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll see if those links on the map work as i think you have Southkrypt in the wrong place

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  15:13:04  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great additions, Dazzlerdal!!! Thanks!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 27 Feb 2015 15:13:20
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  15:16:35  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perlmugp

I'm looking for advise on how to reconcile descriptions a few spots to figure out how to map them. The spots are the "Stronghold of the Nine", "Nordahaeril" and "the Sisters". I can't find a map that shows all three and I can't determine how they are arranged. They are all in the High Forest apparently either on or to the west of the Unicorn Run, which runs N-NE through the forest. The Stronghold of the Nine is shown on maps to the west of the Unicorn Run usually not remarkably far from the edge of the forest. Nordahaeril is mentioned as being to the west of the Stronghold and between the Stronghold and the Sisters. The Sisters by it's description seems like it should be right on the Unicorn Run and it is mentioned being south of the Star Mounts which makes me think closer to the heart of the forest, but the only way that could be true is if it were N-NE of the Stronghold not somewhat west of it as implied by being on the other side of Nordahaeril which is to the west.

I know this is long and rambling, but I don't really see how to make these descriptions line up on a map. Any suggestions? Or even better maps showing all three or maybe even two of these locations.

They're all three on the FRIA map http://www.forgottenadventures.com/FRMaps/HighForest.JPG

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3218 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  15:28:37  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully the map is recording the missing locations. I've added about 3 now.

Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  20:48:01  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is, I've got a bunch of entries in there since I turned that feature on. Thanks.

Edit:
I've added a layer to show previously entered corrections. Right now this isn't realtime, but maybe eventually, at least for now it lets you see what else has been entered so there isn't redundancy. Once I've fully updated a spot on the map I'll take down the correction marker for that location.

Edited by - perlmugp on 27 Feb 2015 22:40:22
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2015 :  21:42:35  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done an update to the map, adding in a lot of the corrections expanding the area it covers a little bit and also separating out the text and the grid onto separate layers that can be turned off and on.

(https://88e54b460ed7328ee3144570a63a7fc8b79babc3.googledrive.com/host/0By_eTj_S2V5WbExocmI5elNCbXc/faerun.html)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3010 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2015 :  22:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is awesome. sub'd!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Check out my eBay store for great Realms/Dragonlance/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc series! http://stores.ebay.com/Remembered-Realms-and-Hobbies

Be my friend on Goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6751111-brian
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
146 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2015 :  22:50:47  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great. I like the improved text format, much easier to read. I have a question though, what year (DR) is this map supposed to correspond to?

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms

Edited by - Eli the Tanner on 10 Mar 2015 23:11:16
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1726 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2015 :  22:55:19  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thumbs up, for the map and the layer choices. Nice work!
Go to Top of Page

dazzlerdal
Great Reader

United Kingdom
3218 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  08:48:21  Show Profile Send dazzlerdal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very impressive work, nice layering.

Although i did notice one correction was attributed to me that i definitely didnt add (Shaeradim or whatever it is - never heard of it).

When i have a free minute i will concentrate on individual areas one at a time and review all the places i have in them.

Maybe i'll start alphabetically with Anauroch.

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  00:19:41  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it just me having issues or is the link broken?

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1204 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  02:17:46  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The zoomable map isn't working. The other links are working

- Delwa Aunglor of Tangled Trees
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

My Forging the Realms Archives (Google Drive pdfs)
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  03:03:58  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The server appears to have eaten my file, I'll have it back up tomorrow.

--Zoomable Map of Faerun--
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3010 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  03:21:15  Show Profile  Visit Artemas Entreri's Homepage Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perlmugp

The server appears to have eaten my file, I'll have it back up tomorrow.

Any plans on doing maps like this for Zakhara? Pretty please!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Check out my eBay store for great Realms/Dragonlance/Ravenloft/Dark Sun/etc series! http://stores.ebay.com/Remembered-Realms-and-Hobbies

Be my friend on Goodreads.com: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/6751111-brian
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13288 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  17:39:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Nordahaeril, THIS is about as official as it gets.

I am sad to say none of those map projects have seen the light of day, except for some parts that were used in Mike Schley's maps. Hopefully, someday...

And YES, that is part of a MUCH bigger map - one that is finished (I think).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 May 2015 01:54:45
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  17:52:00  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright the zoomable map is back up. The plan is to slowly extend the area it covers, but it is slow going.

--Zoomable Map of Faerun--
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2015 :  21:21:58  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I am sad to say none of those map projects have seen the light of day, except for some parts that were used in Mike Schley's maps. Hopefully, someday...

:O :O :O !!! ... !!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Weeeeeee! Great! Can't wait to see the whole map (and realmslore I suspect comes with it)!

Absolutely fantastic work! Thank you!

@perlmugp thanks for putting it back up. Even in it's WIP state this is still a great tool! A big thank you to you too, and courage too!

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 17 May 2015 21:22:51
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2015 :  22:26:35  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Moon Mountain Brewery is missing on your map, though ;-P

http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/lore/elminster/moonmountain.shtml

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 18 May 2015 22:27:02
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13288 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2015 :  13:49:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why, so it is!

Both Eric and I missed that one - good catch!

EDIT: Curiously, it would NOT have appeared on that snippet regardless - the scale of that map is enormous, and it would have been off the southern edge.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 May 2015 13:52:12
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
220 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2015 :  10:27:46  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this awesome work! :)

EDIT: missing fort morninglord's ruins south of Elturel

Edited by - Arioch on 24 May 2015 10:29:59
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2015 :  12:38:13  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why, so it is!

Both Eric and I missed that one - good catch!

EDIT: Curiously, it would NOT have appeared on that snippet regardless - the scale of that map is enormous, and it would have been off the southern edge.

Alright ^_^ I guess I just estimated 'on the banks of the Unicorn Run two days' travel north of Secomber' wrong. Depends on wether you're on foot or pegasus' back, probably ;-P

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
243 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2015 :  00:44:59  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Lhuve? Shouldn't it figure on your map, Markus? thanks in advance!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000