Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Maps of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  15:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brilliant maps perlmugp. What program/software does this all use to create? I wonder if there is someway we could crowd-source a map (akin to a wiki) and get multiple people working on a single expansive map.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  16:04:24  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, the visuals of the maps are Illustrator and Photoshop, and the fancy mapping part is open source software called leaflet. Right now crowd sourcing might be a little hard, but down the road I might be able to make it so people could add markers and roads right on the map. We'll see.

Edit: I have been thinking it might be nice to add links from the map straight to the wikia Forgotten Realms site though, as long as whoever runs that sight wouldn't mind.

Edited by - perlmugp on 13 Feb 2015 22:04:42
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2015 :  20:23:34  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always get tempted to try my hand at map-making but it seems like it might be expensive to do it effectively. How much does the software you use generally cost?

Hashimashadoo and BadCatMan are the two head admins over at the wiki (and they both active here too) so they are the best to ask. In general though linking to the wiki is always encouraged, as it garners more interest, expertise, and support from the increased traffic. So link away, I'd say.

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  12:56:23  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are pricey, but there are freeware versions that aren't too bad. GIMP for Photoshop and Inkscape for Illustrator.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2015 :  16:32:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Perhaps, if you're worried about revealing a WiP before it's time, you should ask *before* you post. Just sayin'.

I don't really know why I wrote it that way since Markus already posted the link himself in another threat.
Maybe I thought he would have liked the honour of being the one to post it in this one, or something.
Anyway, it wasn't about spoilers (in which case I certainly would have asked before even mentioning it). Sorry. I was maladroit.

ooh!.. and since I'm on a roll of referencing other people's work ;-P DM divinity did this map of the savage frontier which has some locations missing on the OP map http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1143/savagefrontiermapeditfl.jpg

Don't worry , perl, about not having fully updated the map yet. What you've already done is really great! The hex grid being taken away when you zoom out, to me, makes for a way less cluttered impression. Nice!

I love how you get the whole planisphere when you zoom all the way out. ^_^

No worries.

PLUS... that WIP is out-dated. A newer work has since trumped that map, and much of it had to be re-done (not for accuracy - it got much more detailed with a higher resolution).

Was hoping something was going to rear its head in January... still waiting.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Feb 2015 16:33:17
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2015 :  21:34:39  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hoohoo! How exciting!!

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  14:58:43  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, a certain lady told me to tell you to hang in there. We'll still have to wait a little longer, but it is now a LITTLE longer. March, she's hoping for . . . waiting on a certain boid to fly in with new words...
(Whatever that means. )
BB
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  15:03:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it is what i think it is then my children are going hungry in March.

If its not what i think it is then i'm just going to cry.

ps i think you spelled boid wrong.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  16:42:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

ps i think you spelled boid wrong.

It could be a reference to an old Far Side cartoon, with a bunch of mobster-looking guys out in the woods, with binoculars and books. It was captioned "Boid watching"

Of course, I think there's another joke going on here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  00:15:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I think the next coouple of weeks should be very interesting. I'll be looking on from across the big pond.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  11:39:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i dont care who publishes it i'm buying it all without looking first (been 10 years since i did that).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  13:23:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Buy from WotC - they are the company that owns the rights.

But enjoy everything produced by everyone else, because the Realms truly belongs to all of us.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  14:44:49  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm slowly updating and adding locations to the big zoomable map. I've also added a feature so that if you click anywhere on the map a pop up link should appear that will let you send me a comment on that location, in case there is anything that needs to be added or corrected. Obviously there are huge sections still to add, but I thought this could come in handy. Not exactly crowd-sourced, but getting there.

--Zoomable Map of Faerun--
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2015 :  15:17:18  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Squeeeeeeeeeeeee*!!!

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Yes, I think the next coouple of weeks should be very interesting. I'll be looking on from across the big pond.

-- George Krashos

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2015 :  15:26:55  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perlmugp

I'm slowly updating and adding locations to the big zoomable map. I've also added a feature so that if you click anywhere on the map a pop up link should appear that will let you send me a comment on that location, in case there is anything that needs to be added or corrected. Obviously there are huge sections still to add, but I thought this could come in handy. Not exactly crowd-sourced, but getting there.

Great!!! I just love to see this project grow! Thank you again! ... There is one thing I've been wondering about, though: Why are your mountains 3/4 perspective while everything else is top down?

Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  13:29:56  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for advise on how to reconcile descriptions a few spots to figure out how to map them. The spots are the "Stronghold of the Nine", "Nordahaeril" and "the Sisters". I can't find a map that shows all three and I can't determine how they are arranged. They are all in the High Forest apparently either on or to the west of the Unicorn Run, which runs N-NE through the forest. The Stronghold of the Nine is shown on maps to the west of the Unicorn Run usually not remarkably far from the edge of the forest. Nordahaeril is mentioned as being to the west of the Stronghold and between the Stronghold and the Sisters. The Sisters by it's description seems like it should be right on the Unicorn Run and it is mentioned being south of the Star Mounts which makes me think closer to the heart of the forest, but the only way that could be true is if it were N-NE of the Stronghold not somewhat west of it as implied by being on the other side of Nordahaeril which is to the west.

I know this is long and rambling, but I don't really see how to make these descriptions line up on a map. Any suggestions? Or even better maps showing all three or maybe even two of these locations.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  13:37:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have the Savage Frontier book then the map in there shows the stronghold of the nine and the sisters on the same map (but no Nordhaeril), if that helps.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  13:51:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only found Nordhaeril on one map, and that was fan made.

Personally if it were me, the description of Nordhaeril says it is halfway between the sisters and the stronghold of the nine. That puts it around where the fork in the unicorn run is as the foot of the Star Mounts.

It might be nice to imagine the elves building a tree house settlement by the fork of a river.

The fan made map put it to the right of the fork but i think inside the middle of the fork works better (it would be prettier and better to defend with the river surrounding you on 3 sides).

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 27 Feb 2015 13:52:12
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  13:53:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually scratch that, your fork in the unicorn run is a lot closer to the star mounts than on the map i was looking at, i'm not sure it would work.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  14:02:16  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I think that works out well as long as I ignore the word west in the descriptions of Nordahaeril. And I'm actually missing the lower fork on my maps, the one that leads up towards the Endless Caverns. So I'll add that in put Nordahaeril in the middle and call it close enough and just cross of the word west.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  14:28:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad i could help. Nice map by the way.

Hopefully at some point you can find a way to turn the writing on/off maybe by hovering over it or with a button for the various layers.

Also the ability to highlight regions would be useful. For instance the Direwood is a large portion of the High Forest, similarly Old Earlann and Turlang's Wood are also portions of the High Forest that may contain other landmarks.

I've noted a number of places you havent placed yet (just within the High Forest)

North Fork (i think its the name of that lower fork you mentioned as being missing.

Tall Trees - a small northeastern section of the forest (probably between Elven Port and Hellgate Keep)

The Old Road - the name of the road leading to mhilamniir from elven port

Farsilver - an ancient fortress due north of loudwater

Lothen - somewhere west of the star mounts in where siluvanede used to be.

Noanar's Hold - You have it on the map as Noantar's Hold, but maybe there is a reason for that, i just always thought it was Noanar's

Shaalkar Manor - this one might not be in the High Forest but its a potential ruin of the Vyshaan Empire so could be in the High Forest.

Onthrilaenthor - a mine carved by dwarves (for the elves) into the eastern star mounts

Teumyshaaril - located in the heart of the high forest near the ancient elven tree city of Teuveamanthaar (i reckon both are between the star mounts and lost peaks near the centre of the forest.

Darkmaiden’s Leap - Somewhere southest of Everlund possibly in Turlang's Wood

Hall of Mists + Tree Ghost Camp - Both located in, around, under the Grandfather Tree

The Sorrowood - Located in the crook of the Star Mounts possibly in the fork of the unicorn run (which might cause problems with nordhaeril)

The Upvale - Basically the woods around Hellgate Keep

Not sure if you were looking for more places to include but i thought id try and be helpful.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  14:40:29  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turning the type on and off my be in option, I'll have to look into it.

I'm definitely looking for more places to add. I'll put those on my list.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  14:53:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shall crack open my archives then and begin looking for more things to add.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  15:11:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll see if those links on the map work as i think you have Southkrypt in the wrong place

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  15:13:04  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great additions, Dazzlerdal!!! Thanks!

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 27 Feb 2015 15:13:20
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  15:16:35  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perlmugp

I'm looking for advise on how to reconcile descriptions a few spots to figure out how to map them. The spots are the "Stronghold of the Nine", "Nordahaeril" and "the Sisters". I can't find a map that shows all three and I can't determine how they are arranged. They are all in the High Forest apparently either on or to the west of the Unicorn Run, which runs N-NE through the forest. The Stronghold of the Nine is shown on maps to the west of the Unicorn Run usually not remarkably far from the edge of the forest. Nordahaeril is mentioned as being to the west of the Stronghold and between the Stronghold and the Sisters. The Sisters by it's description seems like it should be right on the Unicorn Run and it is mentioned being south of the Star Mounts which makes me think closer to the heart of the forest, but the only way that could be true is if it were N-NE of the Stronghold not somewhat west of it as implied by being on the other side of Nordahaeril which is to the west.

I know this is long and rambling, but I don't really see how to make these descriptions line up on a map. Any suggestions? Or even better maps showing all three or maybe even two of these locations.

They're all three on the FRIA map http://www.forgottenadventures.com/FRMaps/HighForest.JPG

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  15:28:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully the map is recording the missing locations. I've added about 3 now.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  20:48:01  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is, I've got a bunch of entries in there since I turned that feature on. Thanks.

Edit:
I've added a layer to show previously entered corrections. Right now this isn't realtime, but maybe eventually, at least for now it lets you see what else has been entered so there isn't redundancy. Once I've fully updated a spot on the map I'll take down the correction marker for that location.

Edited by - perlmugp on 27 Feb 2015 22:40:22
Go to Top of Page

perlmugp
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2015 :  21:42:35  Show Profile  Visit perlmugp's Homepage Send perlmugp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done an update to the map, adding in a lot of the corrections expanding the area it covers a little bit and also separating out the text and the grid onto separate layers that can be turned off and on.

(https://88e54b460ed7328ee3144570a63a7fc8b79babc3.googledrive.com/host/0By_eTj_S2V5WbExocmI5elNCbXc/faerun.html)
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2015 :  22:30:04  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is awesome. sub'd!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000