Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 5E novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  23:57:12  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any new novel series or new authors coming in with 5E?

It looks like books are only coming out by Evans, Salvatore, Greenwood and Denning.
Anyone else have a FR book lined up?

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2015 :  01:19:15  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless something changed in the past 2 weeks, those are the only authors with confirmed books on the way.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2015 :  01:27:28  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to know too!

I'm a fan of many Realms authors, but in particular I'd love to see new work from Erik Scott de Bie, Elaine Cunningham, Richard Baker & Lisa Smedman (as well as the authors who are confirmed to have new books coming out).
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2015 :  17:57:41  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you on that

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2015 :  21:16:52  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbitfan

Are there any new novel series or new authors coming in with 5E?

It looks like books are only coming out by Evans, Salvatore, Greenwood and Denning.
Anyone else have a FR book lined up?

Sadly it looks like WoTC are going with a much paired down stable of writers and only a handful of novels a year. It's the common WoTC overreaction to fans. During 3E everyone complained about Munchkin NPCs and RSEs so WoTC killed everyone and had an RSE to end all RSEs. in 4E everyone complained that the Realms wasn't the Realms anymore and they hated it. So what does WoTC do? They decide that there are too many cooks in the kitchen. They bring back the head chef and a smaller kitchen so they can tightly control the story.

I also think that money has as much to do with this as anything, but I also think that they believe that less books is better. it's not IMO and I actually see myself drifting away from the Realms one day because of it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  03:42:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, just because they've pared down the flow of novels while they're working on a campaign guide doesn't mean they're not going to go back to having more novels, later.

It's kind of hard to give the novelists guidelines on the setting itself when all of that is still being worked out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  04:20:44  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm holding out hope that with 5E being successful and once more money starts rolling in budgets will be increased allowing more novels, products etc.

These types of decisions are all about money. When you have X amount of dollars to work with you gotta get the most bang for your buck and work with what you have. So let's hope WotC makes enough money to make Waukeen proud so they can start commissioning lots of new stuff! :)

Edited by - Eilserus on 18 Jan 2015 04:23:16
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  13:25:04  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You know, just because they've pared down the flow of novels while they're working on a campaign guide doesn't mean they're not going to go back to having more novels, later.

It's kind of hard to give the novelists guidelines on the setting itself when all of that is still being worked out.

Are we sure a campaign guide is on the way? From what I've read around here it looks like they're only doing adventures like the Murder in Baldur's Gate and Dragon stuff.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  23:52:52  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing about the most recent novels like the Sundering series.
They aren't particularly new reader friendly.
Or even old fan coming back friendly really.
I'm having to do alot of research to fill myself in on who's who and what's what.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  15:33:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This may be of interest.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/30759/d-d-layoffs
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  15:35:16  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Also, it may be worth noting that WotC currently has ZERO in-house fiction editors. The few novels that ARE on the schedule are being edited by freelancers. GOOD freelancers, mind you. Susan Morris worked for WotC and she definitely knows her way around this rodeo.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 30 Jan 2015 15:35:41
Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  17:36:38  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

This may be of interest.

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/30759/d-d-layoffs

Bummer WoTC is so cheap, when they localized Return to Ravnica they somehow managed to find a new german word for instant on a couple cards...

Complete Drizzt Saga - Check
In love with Farideh's Saga - Check
Disappointed at Erevis' Saga's apparent end - Check

Edited by - Schreckstoff on 30 Jan 2015 17:37:57
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  18:29:02  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, it may be worth noting that WotC currently has ZERO in-house fiction editors. The few novels that ARE on the schedule are being edited by freelancers. GOOD freelancers, mind you. Susan Morris worked for WotC and she definitely knows her way around this rodeo.

This sucks. I've already grown bored with playing 5E, it's just too much of a hassle getting to the game table each week. The novels were my only true D&D and FR fix.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2015 :  09:38:15  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wot? That sounds...quite strange.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2015 :  03:13:11  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"So I'm out here in Seattle meeting with Wizards - good times! I love these creative sessions." - RAS

Just read this in RAS' feed on his website. Hopefully this is a positive sign that the FR are moving in a positive direction, but that it is just taking some time. I hope he wouldn't say that if things were looking grim.

That being said, throw us a bone WotC...
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2015 :  17:52:51  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

"So I'm out here in Seattle meeting with Wizards - good times! I love these creative sessions." - RAS

Just read this in RAS' feed on his website. Hopefully this is a positive sign that the FR are moving in a positive direction, but that it is just taking some time. I hope he wouldn't say that if things were looking grim.

That being said, throw us a bone WotC...

It may not be looking grim for him if he is getting paid to write 2 books a year plus writing game material. It can still be grim for us if we're still only getting 4 maybe 5 novels a year total.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  17:34:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just 4 Realms novels for 2015 based on the current wiki:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_novels_in_order_of_publication

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  14:15:45  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of me's glad for them giving me a little chance to catch up.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  14:51:26  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DandelionClock

Part of me's glad for them giving me a little chance to catch up.

Same here.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000