Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 New Sharandar - canon? lore?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2015 :  01:41:56  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm working on a campaign/storyline set in the 'present day' 5e realms, and I'm considering using New Sharandar as part of it. (this is the elven outpost in the Neverwinter Wood, that is established as part of the Neverwinter MMO Fury of the Feywild expansion).

From the FR wiki, we have:
quote:
After the Spellplague, Neverwinter Wood experienced a mass migration of fey from the plane of Faerie. Elves were also drawn here in large numbers and they attempted to re-found Iliyanbruen within the forest's borders. Though they had to defeat a force of dark fey to reclaim their anscestral home, they quickly went about establishing the military outpost of New Sharandar around a portal to Faerie

A couple of questions:

1) Is New Sharandar (and by extension, the storyline of the Neverwinter MMO) canon in the FR world?

2) Are there any sources (online or otherwise) with detailed lore about New Sharandar? Is there any detail in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting book? Or other sources?

Edited by - BenN on 14 Jan 2015 01:42:56

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2015 :  05:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Neverwinter Campaign book has a descent bit of detail on pages 177 ff. The outpost of New Sharrandar is commanded by Merrisara Winterwhite. The outpost is stationed in the Feywild, and Merrisara spends most of her time restoring the ruins (in Faerun) of Old Sharrandar.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2015 :  07:56:55  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New Sharandar undoubtedly gets more love in the Neverwinter MMO than any written source. The Neverwinter Campaign book is your best source.

The Living Forgotten Realms RPGA campaign also had a 3-module campaign in which New Sharandar played a major part but it was released after official support was dropped and therefore isn't canon.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  01:25:22  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your replies!

I'll check out the campaign setting guide. I haven't played the MMO for a while, but I guess I'll have to have another go & slog through to the Feywild/Sharandar part.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  02:03:32  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

Thanks for your replies!

I'll check out the campaign setting guide. I haven't played the MMO for a while, but I guess I'll have to have another go & slog through to the Feywild/Sharandar part.

It takes a bit of work, but I finished that campaign. Fun story.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  03:40:23  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How is that game? Free to play games tend to scare me off because they try to nickel and dime you to death. Personally, I prefer to just pay 15 a month or whatever. Well that and I told myself I wasn't going to play games that didn't end anymore. Warcraft sucked up too much of my free time back in the day and I quit a few years ago after deciding I had "beat" the auction hall game and won. hehehe.

Do you have to spend money to have fun? Or pay to play in certain dungeons or levels etc?

Edited by - Eilserus on 15 Jan 2015 03:41:14
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  04:18:52  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eilserus -

I spent quite a lot of money (>$100) in a frenzy of perks & upgrades when I first started playing Neverwinter, but I gradually moved on to other things (especially recently - I'm currently neck-deep in Dragon Age: Inquisition). For me, the pros & cons of Neverwinter are as follows:

Good things:
It's set in the Realms, and contains a bunch of new lore.

Bad things:
I'm not really an MMO fan - endless grinding quests, immature online players (who don't role-play) are not my thing. Ideally I'd prefer the game to be Neverwinter Nights 3, with a compelling storyline, and the opportunity to play through the game with a party of AI-controlled NPCs that are well-developed, with great dialog (Bioware really sets the benchmark here with Dragon Age: Inquisition). The graphics are not too great either, by the standard of modern CRPGs.

I want to get as much lore on Neverwinter Wood & Sharandar as possible, and I love the Realms, so I'm willing to grind to level 60 to gain entry to the Fury of the Feywild expansion. But I hope that this area is fleshed-out at some point in a future FRCG or similar.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  17:00:24  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second BenN. I've been playing since the beta, and the only things I've spent money on are dyes to customize my gear and bank slots to store items because I collect things. You can easily play the game and have fun at it without spending money. It just depends on how long you can wait to farm the resources to get nice gear for free.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  17:24:49  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I might have to check it out then.

Oh man, Dragon Age Inquisition! Had alot of fun with that. Played that nonstop until I beat it. Now I just have to wait for Mass Effect 4!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2015 :  17:40:37  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perfect World games like Neverwinter are good because you don't have to spend actual money to get items from the actual money shop. Instead, they have three different types of currency: A common currency dropped by monsters; an uncommon currency obtainable through finishing quests and performing certain limited time tasks; the third currency you get by paying actual money. You can buy the uncommon currency on the player market for largeish amounts of the common currency and exchange the uncommon currency for the third one at a rate partially determined by the players.

The game itself is a bit grindy but not in a completely tedious way. It's definitely not a bad game.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000