Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 A Ranger from Candlekeep - help with concept!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BanArd
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2015 :  07:46:14  Show Profile Send BanArd a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi guys!

I'm going to play the Baldur's Gate trilogy after 12 years. I played it once or twice back then I was kid who barely knew english (not much improvement here, lol) so the games feel almost new to me. This time I'm going to roleplay it, taking my time to enjoy the story and dialog and relive my few years of playing 2nd edition.

I decided to play a Ranger, something I never did before. I want to write a small background before starting. It's hardly essential but it helps with immersion.

Now justifying being a Ranger when the main character spends all his entire life behind the walls of Candlekeep can be somewhat tricky. After doing some research on Candlekeep, incluiding some texts read here, I connected some dots and came up with a small background and would like to know from you guys if it makes sense.

First, I'd like to ask you to take a look at the description of the Stalker, a Ranger kit:

"Stalkers serve as covert intelligence-gatherers, comfortable in both wilderness and urban settings. They are the spies, informants and interrogators and their mastery of stealth makes them deadly opponents."

They also gain a bonus to Stealth and can Backstab, so they are basically the Sam Fishers and Solid Snakes of the Forgotten Realms. Now, in a community that information, knowledge and secrecy are paramount, I assume that the Candlekeep monks - especially those of higher status - have at least one or two of these rangers on their employ.

Now, a stretch of Introduction to Candlekeep:

"Candlekeep also buys books, and even sponsors adventuring-groups and lore-seekers to undertake expeditions across Faerūn to procure particular tomes for the monastery collection."

Another one from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting:

"The monks of Candlekeep (...) also purchase certain books brought to them and secretly commission agents to procure writings they desire."

Other then explorers from outside, do you think these commissioned agents could also be monks trained within the monastery specifically to run errands for the senior monks? My intent is to make a ranger that spent all his life in the keep and as soon as he is admited as a Scribe, undergoes secluded training in preparation to be an intinerant scout, explorer and infiltrator for the Avowed (or only the Great Scribes). Maybe his tutor is an old ranger and master spy who had done these expeditions in his prime. He extensively trains the character in a distinguished extent of skills, ranging from swordsmanship and monster lore to survival and self-sufficiency. He turns into a fine Candlekeep agent, but before he can complete his training, his foster father Gorion summons him to leave the citadel.

What do you guys think?

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2015 :  12:44:39  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that the 'Keep holds many treasures that some would kill to possess. I also know that it has many powerful wards and at least one mighty guardian (dragon.) It doen not seem at all unreasonable that the monks have a militant arm as well, even if it is only a mercenary garrison.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  15:25:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you developed this concept any further yet, BanArd?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000