Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Amn Lore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  07:24:20  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

Quick question, what all do we have for lore on Amn from 4E on? Is it just the section in the 4E campaign guide? How about the monster kingdom of Muranndin?

Thanks!

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  16:58:25  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I could be wrong here, but Amn has some very rich families out there. The question is why haven't some of them hired a massive army of mercenaries from the South and East to crush Muranndin? The Council of Five has seemingly regressed to what the country was before the Six took power. I could see this state of affairs degenerating until a rich group of "traditionalists" decide it's time to try to restore the old ways and days of "golden profits".

What say you?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  17:59:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The brilliant Lands of Intrigue product covered the issues with that, and those points still stand a century later.

Amn could have handled the monster army eventually, but it had Tethyr grabbing-up its property in the east, and it couldn't fight a war on two fronts, even with all its money (and eastern and western Amn have different mercantile interests, which wouldn't agree on which threat needed to be dealt with). If it moved the majority of its forces in either direction, it risked losing even more in the other. Thus, we wind up with a stalemate situation, in which Amn just reinforces its new borders and licks its wounds.

Don't forget it also suffered another major economic blow when it lost its lucrative Maztica holdings during the Spellplague. The problem was really that they didn't know which way to turn when everything started to go to poop. I would say that by the time of the 4e/5e setting date(s), Amn would finally be ready to make some major moves again.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Jan 2015 18:01:55
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2015 :  18:28:57  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I can tell, Chessenta (a major source of potential mercenary armies) got walloped by the Spellplague.

I haven't read LoI in detail, so this economic angle might be in there. Mercenary lords aren't all dumb; some of them will have eyes in Amn which will inform them of the nuances of the situation there, leading to the Chessentan commanders having a lot of leverage in negotiations and potentially holding out for a big payout, which Amnian families/whoever would be ill-prepared to pay because of the uncertainty of what will happen next. Rich people get that way by investing in things that have a return, not by blowing all their money on mercenaries, especially in cases where the investments have already been lost (like the towns which seceded and joined Tethyr), so that could also help explain the impracticality of a mercenary solution.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000