Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Bladesinger 5e Homebrew
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeiroth
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  23:58:38  Show Profile Send Jeiroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just finished it and have it in a word document. What is the best way to get it to the scribes? Posting it here would likely ruin a lot of the formatting.

Would like some constructive feedback as well.
Thanks!

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2015 :  00:43:40  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dropbox has always been an efficient tool for me for sharing all types of documents, here and elsewhere.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 07 Jan 2015 00:44:43
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2015 :  01:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dropbox or Google Docs. Google Docs might lose some of the fonts, but if you save the Word Document to a PDF, then we're golden.

EditAnd I'm really anxious to see what you did with the Bladesinger for 5e. I've been toying with ideas, but I'm too lazy to actually build from scratch. Hope to see it soon!

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 07 Jan 2015 01:34:20
Go to Top of Page

Jeiroth
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2015 :  01:45:44  Show Profile Send Jeiroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlalat4zj1uded2/The%20Bladesinger%281%29.pdf?dl=0

Duh! Not sure why I did not think about Dropbox. Good idea. Anyway, the first chart got compressed somehow, I'll try and mend it tomorrow maybe. Still legible though. Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1267 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2015 :  02:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks interesting. As I'll readily admit, I'm not a numbers/crunch monkey, but I am enjoying it. I'll have to ponder over it a bit before providing a full critique. Offhand, the wording on the Blade Song feat regarding Advantage/Disadvantage could be shortened a bit. Advantage/Disadvantage cancel out as per the core rules, so you can save yourself a bit on word count by leaving that out.
I like the way you've gone about creating the class as a whole, it's not just a re-skinned version of the Eldritch Knight, it has some abilities that set it apart. I'm not sure how I feel about granting Feats before level 4, though. It might tip the scale of power too much and make the class OP. But again, I'm not a crunch monkey. I hope to see others provide their feedback, hopefully that'll help you more than I'm able at present.
Overall, I think you've caught the spirit of the Bladesinger. Nice job.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Jeiroth
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2015 :  02:56:32  Show Profile Send Jeiroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I presented the blade song ability as a feat because I wanted to capture the old 2e version of the bladesinger which players had the option of taking either the kit or the feat.
Go to Top of Page

Jeiroth
Acolyte

27 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2015 :  15:49:05  Show Profile Send Jeiroth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any thoughts on changing the bladesong feat? Maybe something like this:

Bladesong (feat)
You learn the intricate steps of the bladesong fighting style, using graceful dance-like steps to avoid being hit while at the same time setting your opponents off-balance for a deadly counterstrike.
- When you wield a melee weapon in one hand and nothing on the other, you may add your proficiency bonus to your AC. The exception to this is surprise, as the character must be able to know and see his enemy in order for the bonus to apply.
- When an opponent misses you, you have advantage on the next attack roll against the opponent who missed you. If you attack a different opponent, or fail to attack at all on the next turn, the advantage is lost.

Some past history:
The 2e bladesinger had half his level as an AC bonus, which got ridiculous.
The 3E and 3.5e had his Intelligence as an AC bonus = not to exceed his level
I tried to avoid adding a flat out bonus in favor of disadvantage, but maybe just a simple bonus like proficiency. Or I could do Int. like 3e
Edited by - Jeiroth on 07 Jan 2015 15:48:10
Go to Top of Page

blindhamster
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  10:23:02  Show Profile Send blindhamster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks fairly cool.

I do have some suggestions though.

1) I'd have blade song style call out no shields being allowed and remove blade attunement, its stepping on the eldritch knights toes a bit too much
2) I'd use the prof bonus to AC version of the feat you did.
3) the class gets no feats or ability score adjustments? I think that would need to be tweaked, I'd remove armoured mage as the class is aimed at high dex and therefore medium armour isn't appropriate.
4) I'd move arcane strike to 7th - this would mean they get it the same time as eldritch knights and get the improved version the same time as valor bards which is good.
5) id drop Synostodweomer as spellfire was never the purview of the bladesingers

Proficiencies
Armor: Light
Weapons: Simple Weapons, (their other training is in their ancestral weapons)
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Dexterity
Skills: Choose two from Arcana, Acrobatics, Athletics, History,
Investigation and performance

Level 1 Cantrips, Spellcasting, Improved Elven Weapon Training
Level 2 bladesong style
Level 3 -
Level 4 ability increase
Level 5 -
Level 6 Extra Attack
Level 7 War Magic
Level 8 ability increase
Level 9 -
Level 10 Song of Celerity I
Level 11 -
Level 12 ability increase
Level 13 -
Level 14 Song of Celerity II
Level 15 -
Level 16 ability increase
Level 17 -
Level 18 Song of Celerity III
Level 19 ability increase
Level 20 Song of Fury

Improved Elven Weapon Training
You gain the benefits of the dueling fighting style with longswords and shortswords
- Longswords gain the finesse property
- shortswords damage die is increased one step to 1d8

Bladesong
You learn the intricate steps of the bladesong fighting style, using graceful dance-like steps to avoid being hit while at the same time setting your opponents off-balance for a deadly counterstrike.
- For one minute you add intelligence to both AC and Attack rolls whilst using a melee weapon in one hand and nothing in the other, you may also expend spell slots on successful hits to deal 1d8 sonic damage per level of the slot expended. This ability can be used again after a short or long rest

War Magic
This functions exactly the same as the Eldritch Knight ability

Song of Celerity I
may cast a single action spell as a bonus action This ability can be used again after a short or long rest

Song of Celerity II
may cast a single action spell as a bonus action twice This ability can be used again after a short or long rest

Song of Celerity III
may cast a single action spell as a bonus action three times This ability can be used again after a short or long rest

Song of Fury
Whenever the bladesinger successfully strikes an opponent with a critical hit, she may recharge an expended level 3 or lower spell slot.
Go to Top of Page

blindhamster
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  11:02:53  Show Profile Send blindhamster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
however, really the class probably needs a number of features shifted out, and archetypes being made.

2e lore for bladesingers said there were lodges that trained them, dedicated to different animals and weapons (viper lodge for example was whip I think)

It may be possible to effectively split the bladesinger into two varients:
one that focuses on sword first
the other that focuses on magicfirst.

bladesong could be tweaked to be either:
Int to AC and Attack and Damage rolls with melee weapon
or
Int to AC and Damage rolls with spells + advantage on concentration checks and MAYBE advantage on attack rolls with spells.

War Magic might be an archetype feature for the spellcasting version, an arcane version of smite (doing sonic damage) would be the melee version of the archetype feature.

song of celerity might only get 2 or even 1 increase for the spellcasting version of the character, but they get something in its place, not sure what.

Edited by - blindhamster on 17 Feb 2015 11:12:33
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5691 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  09:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I'm happy to host thy work and writings of lore here at Candlekeep, Jeiroth. If you can please email me at 'alaundo AT candlekeep DOT com.

Many thanks.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

blindhamster
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  17:29:25  Show Profile Send blindhamster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I reworked the version i posted:

The Bladesinger as a class

Proficiencies
Armor: Light
Weapons: Simple Weapons, (their other training is in their ancestral weapons)
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Intelligence, Dexterity
Skills: Choose two from Arcana, Acrobatics, Athletics, History,
Investigation and performance

hit dice: d8

Level 1 Cantrips, Spellcasting, Improved Elven Weapon Training
Level 2 bladesong style (Archetype)
Level 3 -
Level 4 ability increase
Level 5 -
Level 6 Extra Attack
Level 7 Archetype ability
Level 8 ability increase
Level 9 -
Level 10 Song of Celerity
Level 11 -
Level 12 ability increase
Level 13 -
Level 14 Archetype ability
Level 15 -
Level 16 ability increase
Level 17 -
Level 18 Song of Celerity (2)
Level 19 ability increase
Level 20 Song of Fury

Spellcasting:

This feature is identical to the wizard feature, you use the wizard spell list and Intelligence is your casting stat.

Improved Elven Weapon Training
You gain the benefits of the dueling and defense fighting styles with longswords and shortswords

Song of Celerity
may cast a single action spell as a bonus action This ability can be used again after a short or long rest, each time you gain this ability it can be used an extra time per short/long rest

Song of Fury
Whenever the bladesinger successfully strikes an opponent with a critical hit, she may recharge an expended level 3 or lower spell slot.

Archetype:

Path of the Spell

Spellsong Style

At 2nd level you learn the complexities of the Bladesong Style
- For one minute you add intelligence to Armour Class and Damage Rolls with spells so long as you have no weapon or shield in your other hand.

- You gain advantage on concentration checks if you made at least one melee attack in the previous turn

This ability cannot be used again without taking a short or long rest

War Magic

At 7th level you may make a single melee attack as a bonus action after casting a cantrip
This functions exactly the same as the Eldritch Knight ability

Needs an ability for level 14

Path of the Blade

Bladesong Style

At 2nd level you learn the complexities of the Bladesong Style

- For one minute you add intelligence to Armour Class and Damage Rolls with Short Swords or Longswords so long as you have no weapon or shield in your other hand.

- You gain advantage on attack rolls if you moved at least 10'

Arcane Strike

At 7th level you learn to empower your weapon with arcane energies, on a successful hit, you may expend a spell slot to add 1d8 sonic damage, you add a further 1d8 damage for each level above first that is expended.

Improved Song of Celerity

At 14th level you may use song of celerity one additional time, furthermore, if you have bladesong style active, your speed increases by a number of feet equal to the spell level cast x 5' during any turn where song of Celerity is used

or as an Archetype:

Bladesinger Archetype (wizard)

Bladesong Style

At Level 2 you learn to accomodate the use of armour in your spellcasting as well as to better use your hereditary weapons
You gain the benefits of the dueling and defense fighting styles with longswords and shortswords and proficiency with light armour

You may also enter the bladesong once per short rest

- For one minute you add intelligence to Armour Class and Damage Rolls with Short Swords or Longswords so long as you have no weapon or shield in your other hand.

War Magic

At Level 6 you may make a single attack as a bonus action after casting a cantrip

Extra Attack

At Level 10 you can make two attacks as an attack action instead of one

Battle Magic

At level 14 you can make a single weapon attack as a bonus action after casting a wizard spell.

Go to Top of Page

Luminaire4
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2015 :  05:34:44  Show Profile Send Luminaire4 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been playing with different ideas for a while now including Eldritch Knight, and Valor Bard. But I like the Arcane Tradition idea the most so I added my own version of the above design with a custom background.

Custom Background
Student of the Bladesong
Skill Proficiencies:
• Acrobatics
• Athletics (or Arcana)
Languages: Orc and Goblin*
Equipment: A set of fine clothes, a signet ring, a silver holy symbol of Corellian, and a purse with 25 gp.

*Bladesingers learn the languages of their enemy for use in interrogation.

Feature: Guardian of the Realms
• Bladesingers are the champions of the Tel'Quessir, the Knights of The People and defenders of the elven way of life, practicing an ancient and honored elven art and giving their lives if necessary to defend elven society, and they are accorded status of heroes and the respect due such a station whenever they are encountered. However the are honor-bound to render aid to any elf in distress they might come across.

Background Traits
• Chose from the Folk Hero or Noble backgrounds

Wizard Arcane Tradition: Bladesinger
• Requires: Elf or Half Elf (Non Drow)

• Bladesong Style - At 2nd level the wizard gains proficiency with light armor and learns a single weapon proficiency, which must be a one handed slashing weapon. That weapon gains the dueling fighting style and may use the bladesong special ability.

• The Bladesong - A wizard, wielding their chosen weapon in one hand and no other weapon, gains a +2 bonus to armor class. They may also use Intelligence for weapon attack rolls and weapon damage rolls instead of their normal ability. They cannot be wearing heavier than light armor or using a shield, and must have a hand free to cast spells. Activating the bladesong takes a bonus action and lasts for 1 minute, afterwords they must finish a short or long rest before they can use this ability again.

• Song of Celerity - At 6th level the wizard can attack twice, instead of once, when taking the attack action.

• Defensive Caster - At 10th level the wizard has advantage with saving throws to concentrate on spells when under the effects of the bladesong and can use the bladesong ability twice before they must finish a short or long rest.

• Song of Fury - At 14th level when the wizard uses an action to cast a wizard spell they may make one weapon attack as a bonus action.

Sample Non Player Character
Eladrin Wizard: 20 (Bladesinger)

Str: 12 (+1)
Dex: 20 (+5)
Con: 16 (+3)
Int: 18 (+4)
Wis: 10 (+0)
Cha: 08 (-1)

Hit Points: 142 (Max: 142)
Armor: 17 (24 with Bladesong and Shield Spell)
Proficiency: +6 Bonus

Saving Throws
Intelligence (+10)
Constitution (+9)
Wisdom (+6)

Racial Features
Darkvision (60 ft)
Fey Step
Elf Weapon Training
Fey Ancestry
Keen Senses
Trance