Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2015)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5043 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2015 :  18:35:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
As far as I can recall, in our recent chats, Ed considers all of the D&D worlds now linked (so that includes Eberron and Dark Sun, despite past "official" statements to the contrary), and that seemed to be not his opinion but rather the accepted design guidelines he was now working under (which would mean it's Wizards' position now, on this). So, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Mystara, the Realms, Spelljammer, Planescape, Eberron, Dark Sun, and the "sub-lines" like Al-Qadim and Red Steel and the Living Jungle and other Living campaigns...are all now reachable, one from the other (I'm not sure how much else it means, i.e. what the hoops that need jumping through and details are, differences in godly power from one setting to another, and so on). All lore it would lovely to know, but that will probably only be spelled out if and when it applies to a specific publishing project. And of course, anything more specific is likely to be either unknown to Ed, or under NDA. (However, I'll ask, of course. Never hurts to ask.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5969 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2015 :  19:02:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

As far as I can recall, in our recent chats, Ed considers all of the D&D worlds now linked (so that includes Eberron and Dark Sun, despite past "official" statements to the contrary), and that seemed to be not his opinion but rather the accepted design guidelines he was now working under (which would mean it's Wizards' position now, on this). So, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, Mystara, the Realms, Spelljammer, Planescape, Eberron, Dark Sun, and the "sub-lines" like Al-Qadim and Red Steel and the Living Jungle and other Living campaigns...are all now reachable, one from the other (I'm not sure how much else it means, i.e. what the hoops that need jumping through and details are, differences in godly power from one setting to another, and so on). All lore it would lovely to know, but that will probably only be spelled out if and when it applies to a specific publishing project. And of course, anything more specific is likely to be either unknown to Ed, or under NDA. (However, I'll ask, of course. Never hurts to ask.)
love,
THO

Thanks THO. Along those lines, do you know if there will be any plans to specifically provide links from Toril to Abeir, and how common might those linkages be in rough comparison to say linkages to GH, DL, etc....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  02:55:11  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

(Interestingly, a "secret agent of Halruaa" adventuring alone in the Realms was a concept Ed pitched as a novel line - - not written by him, but a series of novels all written by different first-time authors - - but that the TSR editors didn't bite on. I think it could have been great, if writers had managed to capture a fantasy feel of James Bond without copying James Bond.)
love,
THO

Oooo! Freaky. This ties rather closely with some similar thoughts I had back when Halruaa first disappeared as a result of the Spellplague.

I toyed with the idea of having either the Chosen, or, more appropriately, perhaps, agents working for the Chosen, to discrete investigate Halruaa's destruction and pursue all the leads -- regardless of how absurd or mundane they may have initially proven.

An alternate spin on this was having an agent of the Chosen FROM Halruaa being left being after her country's destruction, and seeking answers from elsewhere in the Realms.

I'd love to know what more Ed could possibly share about this intriguing concept.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  03:00:34  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

love,
THO

Nice. It also does remind me of how Ed tends to view the grand planar framework for how all this works, too, as he's discussed here in the past about the relationships between the various worlds published by TSR/Wizards.

I'm curious, though. Has Ed ever thought about where some of the other fictionalised settings published by TSR/Wizards might sit with the Realms? I'm talking mainly about ALTERNITY's Star*Drive for example [and one of my personal favourites], or even the older classic Star Frontiers?

I know Rich Baker [who worked on the STAR*DRIVE line] suggested possibilities for connecting the setting's Drivespace to the D&D planar framework. Nothing official, of course. But it was nice to see this kind of consideration for how the Realms might cosmologically relate with non-fantastical settings.

So, I'm just wondering whether Ed might have also given this some thought as well?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Learned Scribe

84 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  10:16:03  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Thanks THO! And thanks for asking Ed. I hope he can provide us an answer, small though it may be ;)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2015 :  19:52:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
slevyas, if I knew, I almost certainly wouldn't be able to say (such things are right in the central wheelhouse of NDAs), or would Ed, but in this case, I honestly don't know.
Sorry.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2015 :  03:55:30  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
The 2e Cormyr book mentions the Lord Magister of Suzail, the Lord Magistrate of Suzail, and the Lord Master of Suzail, and at least the latter two are Sthavar. What are the meanings of these titles, and are they sometimes held by three different people?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2015 :  05:30:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Well Again THO and Ed,

Ed, your novel "Elminster Enraged" talks about imprisoned male nobles at Castle Irlingstar. Unless I missed it while collecting lore notes, I didn't see a mention of where female noble prisoners are kept. Are females also kept at Irlingstar, or somewhere(s) else?

Thanks to you both, as always. :D

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2015 :  19:53:03  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Jeremy, Ed's notes (the bits that I have copied over the years, when Realmsplay meant my character had "found out" this or that)on this topic say:

Female prisoners have been far fewer in number (the nature of their offenses tends to be more fines and property - - or in rare cases, title - - forfeitures than imprisonments), and are usually housed in cells at High Horn, or even individually at various state-owned fortresses and hunting lodges.

And:

Irlingstar was instituted for imprisoning male nobles when rebellions resulted in a high number of inmates at once, and their wealth and connections meant geographical isolation was wisest, to prevent bribery and to make their imprisonment "hurt," as opposed to becoming a country club stay whereat they could still make investments, carry on businesses, and affect politics during their incarceration (which a number of nobles managed to do while locked up in cells in Suzail, years earlier).

So saith Ed. And there you have it.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 20 Jan 2015 19:55:09
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2015 :  21:43:09  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. I bring you the words of Ed, in response to xaeyruudh’s query: “The 2e Cormyr book mentions the Lord Magister of Suzail, the Lord Magistrate of Suzail, and the Lord Master of Suzail, and at least the latter two are Sthavar. What are the meanings of these titles, and are they sometimes held by three different people?”
Here’s Ed:

Yes, those three titles can and have been held by different people at various times.

The Lord Magister of Suzail is the Palace official in charge of keeping straight the registrations (and reportings-in, and whereabouts) of all independent, non-Wizards of War arcane spellcasters resident in Suzail or visiting the city. (The War Wizards spy on all such individuals when they can spare the manpower, and doing so is ongoing training for their novices and junior members - - and something of “punishment duty” for veterans.)

The Lord Magistrate of Suzail is head of the courts in which legal disputes in the city are adjudged. Cases involving nobles are an exception; they are heard in the Royal Court by senior courtiers, an Obarskyr, and usually also by a jury of peers (i.e. other nobles), treason being an exception often handled in near-secrecy by the Court Wizard and the reigning monarch. For matters large and small involving commoners, in which nobles and royalty are only involved as property owners, will be heard by the Lord Magistrate or magistrates (“magisters,” a term which often causes confusion with the “Lord Magister”) reporting to him.

The Lord Master of Suzail is an office that could in real-world terms probably best be described as “Manager of Public Works/Civic Works/Roads, Streets, and Sewers (also: Water and Drainage).” This “lord” can be a commoner (it’s an office awarded by the Crown, sometimes as a reward), and oversees the actual city workers.

So saith Ed. Providing Realmslore for us all, whenever he can.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
792 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2015 :  23:00:40  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Hi THO - I was happy as a clam to hear that a new Baldur's Gate game is in the works in my favourite time period of the Realms (anything pre-3rd edition). Has Ed been asked to provide any content or help in anyway? Would love to see an Elminster cameo again!
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2015 :  23:07:14  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Awesome, thank you both!

So saith this fan, eagerly awaiting more books inscribed with "By Ed Greenwood"

I would very much like to see a "By THO" too. Perhaps a DVD entitled "THO Presents Ed Greenwood's Gaming Table Uncensored: Spoofs, Bloopers, and Deleted Scenes, Volume 1"

Subsequent volumes to be released annually on Ed's birthday, forever.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 20 Jan 2015 23:08:22
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  16:51:01  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Thank you very much THO for that quick answer. Much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  19:28:13  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Found some other jottings I made (during play, with Ed as DM) re. those three offices of Suzail, so for xaeyruudh and all scribes interested in the lore of Cormyr:

The Lord Magister of Suzail advises the Crown on regulations and laws regarding the use of magic (so do the War Wizards, so the Lord Magister usually ends up championing the interests of visitors and "just plain citizens" as opposed to lawkeeping and state interests).

The Lord Magistrate of Suzail is responsible for the written records of all sentences. When records are incomplete or unclear, he acts as an appeals court of sorts, because he can change sentences in such cases.

The Lord Master of Suzail recently* hired some Suzailan beggars, idle street youths, the lame, and the elderly, to go about the city peering up at all buildings and noting crumbling stonework, roofing in need of repair, rickety outside stairs, and other "weathering that needs attention," so civic officials can talk about such things with property owners before collapses or really major repairs come about precipitously.

* = "recently" in this case meant 1358 DR

Knew I'd made some notes, but took me some time to find them, because none of this ever featured much in our adventuring.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  19:54:29  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:

Knew I'd made some notes, but took me some time to find them, because none of this ever featured much in our adventuring.
Rock on THO! Thanks for taking the time to find those notes and to share them with us. VERY much appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2015 :  20:24:52  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message
Quote:
___________________________________________________________________________________________
love,
THO
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Ah, the classic 2E vision of the D&D multiverse! I can't tell you how pleased I am at that. Let's hope this vision prevails as we move forward. Heck, it is an excellent D&D marketing trick if nothing else, so let's hope corporate sees the wisdom of it.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2015 :  22:57:59  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
As Jeremy said, thanks for the extra notes!

And a fact check... the road north out of Arabel is the Mountain Ride, but north of Gnoll Pass at Halfhap it's the Moonsea Ride. Does the name change at the pass?

Orrrr maybe it's the Mountain Ride when you're heading toward the pass from either direction, and the Moonsea Ride only after you exit the pass heading north?

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 22 Jan 2015 23:03:05
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2015 :  23:49:52  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Also: on the inside back cover of the 2e Cormyr book (finishing up my indexing of that book, finally) there are a couple of merchants listed which I don't recognize: Marker in Waymoot, and Mrastos in Immersea. Are these individuals or families?
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

530 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  14:55:57  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Gracious Lady, Revered Master,

here are my unrelated queries about Faerun in the mid-late 1370s:
1) Is there any portal connecting the Lake of Steam to Chessenta?
2) Interfaith marriages (between dedicated-to-one-deity individuals like paladins and priests of different faiths): are these a problem for some faiths? Are these allowed to happen generally for good-aligned faiths? Are the parties involved required to perform specific vows, sacrifices or rituals? Are there any established mixed rites in the case of allied Churches in which interfaith marriages are more numerous? Bonus question: when a dedicated-to-one-deity individual marries someone without a clear patron deity, are they expected (by some Churches) to try and convert their spouse?

Thanks!

Edited by - Demzer on 25 Jan 2015 14:56:53
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2015 :  17:36:53  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Questions have been e-flung Ed's way as usual, and I got back just two replies from Ed thus far, both to Demzer.
First, the bonus question ("when a dedicated-to-one-deity individual marries someone without a clear patron deity, are they expected (by some Churches) to try and convert their spouse?"): Although there have been instances (involving evil deities such as Bane, Asmodeus, and Lolth) of this happening when the new spouse is desired to play a part in a specific task to further the power and influence of the deity, it's not so for the vast majority of both deities and marriages in the Realms. "Conversion" is largely a foreign concept to thinking in the Realms, where everyone knows all the deities exist and believes in all of them. It's considered much better form among the gods to manipulate mortals so they they do X, believing to advance the aims of Deity A, when it will actually also accomplish something Deity B wants, without the mortals involved realizing it. And all of this holds true only for relatively rare dedicated-to-one-deity mortals; most mortals never think of themselves as "belonging to" any one deity. (I know this is a hard concept for some Realms fans and gamers to grasp, who come from a monotheistic faith background or monotheistic-dominated society, but it bears repeating once more that the Realms is NOT Earth.)

Secondly: "1) Is there any portal connecting the Lake of Steam to Chessenta?"

Ed: There are several, but they are hidden, lost, or forgotten (i.e. adventurers will have to go seeking them; they are not "known highways" for trade or invasion or any other use). The most easily found is a stone archway somewhere not far underground in the northwestern Border Kingdoms, but it's the infamous "Beast Portal;" those using it have an apparently-random chance of having one of their limbs altered into that of a monstrous beast (e.g. a scaled and clawed arm), an alteration that only can undone by magic - - or by traversing the gate again, which may restore the limb to its original state, or change it to yet another bestial form, and possibly turn another limb to a monstrous shape that doesn't match the first limb.

So saith Ed. Serving up Realmslore tirelessly for us all.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  18:20:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, everyone.
Re. this, from Seravin: "Hi THO - I was happy as a clam to hear that a new Baldur's Gate game is in the works in my favourite time period of the Realms (anything pre-3rd edition). Has Ed been asked to provide any content or help in anyway? Would love to see an Elminster cameo again!"
Seravin, your question is something that would be firmly NDA'd, but I asked Ed anyway, and he gave me a "no comment," but he did so in a tone of voice that conveyed that he PROBABLY hasn't been contacted directly about the game. Now, he did write a big overview backgrounder for the "5e" version of Baldur's Gate, as part of the groundwork for the published print adventure set in Baldur's Gate, so I'm sure that lore will be used by the makers of the new Baldur's Gate game (so that would be "help").
I'll see if I can slyly make Ed let slip more, in the days to come...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
792 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  20:29:45  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Thanks THO! - the new game will be set in the late 1360s I believe rather than 5th Edition era of the late 1400s. I assume to get the Forgotten Realms trademark then WoTC/Hasbro would have to know this is happening and hopefully will vet the continuity to some extent even if it is not Ed.
Fingers crossed for an apperance by Elminster or any other of our favourite Realms characters.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2015 :  22:11:21  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Tantam All!

With the imminent demise of the Realms Mailing List I have been looking back through it with great fondness and found a post of mine from 2000 regarding Neiroon the Schemer and his hut which Ed kindly replied to (see below). The ongoing campaign I run has currently reached 1392DR (no spellplague) and was wondering if Ed could speculate on what Neiroon might have got up to post the 1359 timeline in the OGBS and/or whether Neiroon was still alive in 1392? I have a hankering for my players to go and search for a hut situated next to the River Lis. (Is there anything special about his hut that you can share please?)

Kind regards

Damian
ps and if you wanted to speculate on Neiron the Ranger Knight (got to love 1E level titles) as well that would be most welcome!

*the original reply*
Ed writes:
Neiroon 'the Schemer' was a hermit (retired adventurer) who was a tutor of
one of the Knights of Myth Drannor. He was a character with several classes,
including druid and illusionist, and he deliberately remains a mystery. (In
other words, because of the 'home' Realms campaign, more won't be revealed at
this time; sorry.)

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 27 Jan 2015 22:12:41
Go to Top of Page

Finglas Leaflock
Seeker

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2015 :  14:33:22  Show Profile Send Finglas Leaflock a Private Message
Hello, THO, Ed, and everyone else!

I have a question about "Seldreene Ammath of Suzail, married to a merchant," whose quote leads off Chapter 2 of Elminster's Daughter. Ammath is a moon elven clan (more details about them in the Myth Drannor material, and in Ed's reply back in October 2005!), so is Seldreene an elf or half-elf of that house, or is the name a coincidence?

Thanks, and stay warm!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5043 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2015 :  02:53:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Finglas, Seldreene Ammath is a fullblood elf of House Ammath (someone else, not here at the Keep, has asked Ed about her in the past), but I've just shot an e-query off to Ed to see what else he can tell us about her...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000