Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2015)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  08:09:22  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message
Hello THO, hope you and Ed are having a great holiday. Sorry for my very late reply i had posted a few months ago, my computer died on me and i had to get it fixed. I wanted to say that i am no longer confused on the subject dealing with the searing, it was my mistake. I didnt realize until after you had asked me what i was confused about that my information came from the volo's guide and though his point of view which is known to not always be right and that he more than likely mistook it for an event far younger than what it actually was do to his lack of info. So i withdraw my confused state and stand corrected.

I did have some more questions for Ed on those elven houses in The Herald. I was wondering what the house crest were for the houses (Hualarydnym and Felaeraun) and if ed could also give anymore info on some of the houses he had introduced in that book like possibly some history or maybe some well know elves that they produced.
thank you in advanced for any information you can reveal to me.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  00:24:58  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Bah. Even the paper atlas contradicts itself on the location of Glister.

On page 6 of the atlas, Glister is on the north side of Thar, roughly midway across the westward "arm" of the western Galenas. This is supported by the 2e setting map, the Moonsea accessory (9474) map.

Page 99 of the atlas shows Glister on the east side of Thar. This is supported by the 1e setting 30mi/inch map, FR9 map, and the 3e setting map -- the latter of which mangles the region so badly it sends Dead Man's Walk over to Ilinvur on the *north* side of the arm and shows Glister completely cut off from Vaasa despite the first words we ever saw about Glister saying it's "situated at the gateway between Thar and Vaasa." Dead Man's Walk is the closest thing to a gateway around here, so clearly the 3e map team didn't eat their Wheaties that morning.

*ahem* Back on track: Where is Glister, really?

(And THO... if he says "it depends" please give him your best eyeroll and "oh puh-leaze" for me. Kidding... if that's the answer I'm excited to hear how it works.)

Thank you both!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  00:38:57  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I was wondering if your Realmsplay notes include any information about pacifiers...

I've found that humans work quite well...
--Your pal, Thauglor

Please. That's not pacifier, that's a mess. And by the time lil' ones will learn to not eat messily, they won't need a pacifier.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Rivenhelm
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  05:19:01  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message
To further confound your Glister query, the Grey Box map has Glister roughly between those two points in the FR Atlas. Lol. I usually difer to the Grey Box on most matters, then again that's me. I'd say split the difference and place it where the pass to Vaasa crosses the range hard by the mountains. I seem to recall an old Polyhedron covering that area, but there were no maps in that source that I remember. I will try to check to see if I still have those issues.

R...
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  23:35:05  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I've been favoring the Grey Box and the paper Atlas as well, which is why the contradiction in the Atlas is distressing to me.

I favor the northern location myself, as it sits squarely on Dead Man's Walk... the southern location doesn't fit the "Gateway to Vaasa" description. But I'm wondering if one solution to the discrepancy might be to rule that these maps were drawn (in-game) from differing older maps, which resulted from the fact that Glister has been rebuilt at two or more locations at various times. Or, more simply, we can just chalk it up to the imperfect memory of mappers (in-game, of course).

Another question: Does thradra grow on the mainland, or just on the islands near Eskember?

Edit: Also! Did the island upon which Helbrester stood have a name, apart from Helbrester?

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 05 Dec 2015 23:45:54
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2015 :  18:48:07  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Finally, some more answers have been pryed/prised out of Ed:

Glister HAS moved several times, due to being built on permafrost; when smithing activity or fireball-flinging warm things too much, and everything gets muddily flooded, folk WANT to move. Add that to persistent flind, ogre, or hobgoblin raids, and the smiths/weapons dealers (whose guards double as the closest thing to a Watch/police) move...so only well-armed trading bands dare stay...and Glister moves. It has always been WELL north of the Moonsea, but has moved from east (near the north-south mountains) to well west of that, its "new" site of the day depending on raids down out of the mountains (a mini-orc horde, in one case) and what's going on in Vaasa. Glister is always at the northerly end of the long ore/smelted raw metal ingots trade-route, providing a supplies base and trading hub for the human-dominated "civilized" miners, so its precise location doesn't matter as much as it being SOMEwhere. The marked eastern location was where it stood for the last two decades of the 1200s DR and first three decades of the 1300s DR.

To Apprentice: Ed's novel SPELLSTORM depicts meetings between certain Chosen and certain Rune members, but there have been a lot, over the years. The Chosen often covertly work against the Rune, but both sides tend to battle each other through proxies rather than directly; the Chosen WANT magic use to proliferate, but also want to thwart the political and shady-trade ambitions of the Rune, so it's the bureaucrats, rulers, and business associates of the Rune they target and influence most.

More specifics coming, and more lore replies, when Ed gets his life back.
He's currently editing three Hellmaw novels for his new TEGG publishing venture, doing a Shadow of the Demon Lord adventure for Mr. Schwalb, and writing 3 short stories for various projects...not to mention the first Pony Island novel ("Pony Island" is a codename for the big fantasy setting for TEGG; it's not the Realms [being magic-constrained, for one thing], but it's closest to the Realms of any of the 15 settings).
Oh, yes, and he's still working on the Realms.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2015 :  19:42:20  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Welcome home, THO, and thank you.

Edit: one more post makes 5,000 THO!

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 09 Dec 2015 22:14:31
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2015 :  21:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message
To extrapolate upon the prior lore and Ed's sagely knowledge, that would mean the current Glister is a frontier town/tent city that periodically moves as necessary for security as well as to be closer to resources. So the Glister that was the capital of the Kingdom of Thar is a ruin somewhere north of the Moonsea?

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2015 :  23:30:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I found this one floating in the ethers; I assume it was a question for Ed.

quote:
Originally posted by realmslore2000

On page 14 of volo's guide to waterdeep there is a reference to a grain gate near Gem street, does that lead into the mountain or is there a trail up...it does not appear on any other waterdeep map.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2015 :  16:38:08  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO!

I have a question that I realize might be NDA, but it has been a discussion in another thread. Since Myth Drannor was...damaged by Shade falling on it, and many elves have fled to places like Evereska, what are Ilsevele and Fflar doing? Are they leading the refugees? Are they trying to gather a force to head to Myth Drannor to, at the very least, grab the Tree of Souls or reclaim Myth Drannor (again)?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2015 :  16:53:03  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Hope all is well in the North!

What does Ythtym look like, in the home game? Does Ralavar's Road continue through town toward Estelker, or does the name of the road change? Does Ythtym get along with its neighbors? How swift is the turnover in local rulership? How independent is it of Felshroun and the Realm of the Smoking Star? How are travelers treated? In broad strokes if necessary to skirt NDAs, of course.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2015 :  20:39:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Have Aurilandur's clergy ever used a lesser, corrupted version of the simulacrum spell to create a civilization of snowmen that possess the knowledge of other beings? If so, were any of these snowmen fascinated by summer based upon the likings of the individual whose DNA was used to create said snowman, and did they learn to cast magics to prevent their own melting in order to visit Calimshan?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2015 :  00:10:38  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Are there/have there been any famous weapon/armoursmiths in the Realms? If so what are/were their names? Any other details would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2015 :  00:41:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Brian the Swordmaster was a smith of some renown, and a Lord of Waterdeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rivenhelm
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2015 :  06:27:08  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message
Speaking of Glister, Surdee was a smith of Glister who forged the blade Albruin. Elfgar was a smith of Silverymoon who forged the blade Taragarth "the Blood Brand" (both from Dragon Magazine #74)

R...
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2015 :  09:10:29  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
Most vaunted Ed & THO,

I'd like to know some general detail about Dumal Erard, his history in and out of the Crazed Venturers, what he looked like, etc.

The only specific bit of information about him I'd like to know is how his position of First Guardian of Helm's Hold eventually transformed into a City Council. Was Dumal defeated? Or did he die/give up the job undefeated? If he did see the role transform, how would he feel about it?

I enjoyed watching the livestream of your gaming session last month.

Thankee kindly me 'ansums

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2015 :  00:00:08  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message
Thank you :)
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2015 :  05:52:13  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all,

Wild dog packs ever become problems anywhere in Faerun especially small settlements or do the higher predators keep such creatures in check? Just thinking if dogs ever get their day?
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Dec 2015 :  06:10:23  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Wild dog packs ever become problems anywhere

Anywhere kobolds are found, if you ask civilized folk.

Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2015 :  19:30:14  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

I can't remember name of gem grotto you gave Corymr and I was always curious was it out of convenience when you invented it? Did you invent other gem grottos like this in Faerun as well and are they occupied as well? What prevents elemental beings that feast on gems from depleting this gem grotto and has Corymr ever lost possession of it for any considerable length of time?

Did doompits decrease or increase after the spellplague in your realms mindseye?
Go to Top of Page

Talspire
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2015 :  20:48:22  Show Profile Send Talspire a Private Message
Hello Ed and The Hooded One,

Apologies if this has been covered before, I'm slowly working my way forward through the archived 'So Saith Ed' threads.

I've seen the occasional mention that the published Eldath (circa 2e and 3/3.5e) is not quite as she originally appeared in your Realmsplay.

I very much like her as a Goddess, both imagery and general dogma wise, but just how much of a pacifist is she? Or more particularly, how restricted are her faithful? Freewalkers are called 'Adventurer Priests' in F&A, and along with Druids are described as the more 'militant' wings of the faith, but the admonition to all of her followers to 'swear to take no thinking life except in direst need' would seem to be a major roadblock.

I guess my specific question would be "Can a Freewalker/Druid/Other follower of Eldath act as a fairly 'traditional' adventurer without having to do a lot of mental gymnastics and rules lawyering with their superiors to keep in line with Eldaths dictates? I would envision them as favoring diplomacy, showing mercy, and preferring a healing and support role within a party, but when push comes to shove can they fight beside their fellows without falling afoul of the faith?

Also of course, any general tidbits about her church, a la personal rituals/sayings/prayers and the like is always welcome :)

Thank you kindly
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2015 :  02:28:34  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

I can't remember name of gem grotto you gave Corymr

I don't have answers to your other questions, but the name is the Crystal Grot. It's described on pages 10-11 of Volo's Guide to Cormyr.

Ed will of course get back to you on the other parts.
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2015 :  03:58:24  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed how have the Kir-lanan fared in your realms since TOT and have anymore been created during the Spellplague, death of Azuth and others, have they fled the realms to negative infused planes?

Have they managed to reproduce themselves?
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2015 :  23:05:29  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Happy Holidays.

Ed a continued Trollbark query, I assume ravenous trolls consume a lot to sustain themselves so what are the creatures that they feed upon and do the various types of trolls prey on each other as well?

Are any other creatures manage to resist being Troll food in the forest with any degree of success?

Also can you expand on the variant trolls there, would there be trolls with templates like Tauric, insectile or umbral or any fiendish types or magically imbued?

Thanks

Edited by - createvmind on 27 Dec 2015 03:09:06
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2015 :  02:57:10  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO!

Wishing you and your families a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
Go to Top of Page

Owesstaer
Acolyte

Luxembourg
30 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2015 :  08:02:39  Show Profile Send Owesstaer a Private Message
Hello all

There are 3 things about which I'd like an official view to support me in leading my ongoing campaign into next year:

1. The High Moor was the direct result of the Dark Disaster in the elven Crown wars. As I found in some other sources, in the dark-/green elven nation of Miyeratar, Eilistraee was one of the major worshipped powers. At that time (so 12 000 years back in time) her temples were supposedly above ground, but where would you set such a sanctuary "nowadays" (1353DR in my campaign). Would they still be above grounds? or have they drifted into the Undermoor?

2. The High Moor barbarians preferred weapons are described as being the short bow and spear for hunting and war. My question revolves around the third weapon mentioned: "fine two-handed swords". Are these really supposed to be those immensely large weapons, or rather like the classic barbarian bastard swords. The reason on why I'm asking this is because I picture these folk a bit like the the picts or gaels from the scotland area, whose iconic weapon was the claymore.

3. A question about daggerford citizen Filarion Filvendorson. He's born in 1300 DR. In 1315 his mother is killed and he starts adventuring towards the east by himself ... an elf of 15 winters. Than in 1344 (aged 44, so not even a teenager by elven standards) he retires from adventuring. Has there been a mistake in the years, or was it his father Filvendor who retired to Daggerford at that time and Filarion is the one lost in the inner sea lands and undetectable by divination magic?

So best wishes and happy headbraking into 2016 ;)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  18:46:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
createvmind, from Realmsplay in the home campaign (plus a very brief "confirm" chat with Ed this morn), I can tell you that packs of wild dogs are everpresent around the Rat Hills (and to a lesser extent NW of Waterdeep), and in westernmost coastal Sembia/eastern coastal Cormyr. Everywhere else, coyotes and wolves and worse keep the numbers of wild dogs down...so you encounter stray individuals or a family at most, not packs. In the Dales in particular, dogs learn to stay out of the trees...or it's rapidly too late for that particular dog to learn anything, ever again.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  19:12:25  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Eilserus, a belated thank you for your wishes - - and back to you, from both me and Ed!

Talspire, Ed will have to get back to you with a more detailed and proper lore reply, but in the "home" Realms campaign, most of the clergy of Eldath we met were pacifists who patiently "restored nature" after depredations of "civilized"/landclearing folk, and who did tireless diplomacy (sometimes working with clergy of Chauntea) to encourage agriculture in one place, with the price being to "leave alone" other, wilder areas.

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  19:18:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
And hi again, all. Re. this, from Rymac: "To extrapolate upon the prior lore and Ed's sagely knowledge, that would mean the current Glister is a frontier town/tent city that periodically moves as necessary for security as well as to be closer to resources. So the Glister that was the capital of the Kingdom of Thar is a ruin somewhere north of the Moonsea?"

I bring this reply, from Ed:

Yes, Glister moves whenever shifting mining patterns, increasing raids because the various predators (flind, ogres, orcs, hobgoblins, etc.) have become sufficiently familiar with it, and its own mess (melting the permafrost with the smelting/smithing activities, so it turns from hard ground to endless wet mud) drive the mainstay smiths of the community to decide to move.
And yes, the Glister that was once the capitol of Thar is now a ruin, east and south of the more recent locations of Glister (as lodes closer to the Moonsea get worked out, the "big" mines of the day get farther and farther north). However, "ruin" is a rather grand term for a few tumbled stone walls and a lot of mud.

So saith Ed. Yes, he's still in the providing Realmslore business, folks!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  19:27:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
....And hello AGAIN, all. Just received another Realmslore reply from Ed, this one in response to realmslore2000, re. this (relayed by Wooly): "On page 14 of volo's guide to waterdeep there is a reference to a grain gate near Gem street, does that lead into the mountain or is there a trail up...it does not appear on any other waterdeep map."

Heeeere's Ed:

The gate in the exterior walls of Castle Waterdeep that opens out onto the Foregate lane that links to Gem Street (the throat of that lane is where the arrow is, on the Volo's Guide map) is known as Grain Gate, because it's the gate that leads not just inside the castle, but (most directly, of all the castle gates) to the wagon-ramp leading down into its granaries (the huge chambers where emergency "feed all Waterdeep in case of siege or prolonged horrid weather or influx of refugees from an orc horde or other Sword Coast North disaster" stores of grain are kept (and rotated out into the city's regular food supplies by the relevant guilds, under City Guard [later: City Watch] supervision. So "Grain Gate" is a gate in the castle wall. Yes, some of the granaries "turn west" on their below-ground level to be partly under Mount Waterdeep. No, they deliberately have no direct connection to Undermountain.

So saith Ed, and there you have it!
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 29 Dec 2015 20:23:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000