Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 [Input Request] Introductory Adventure Writing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  18:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello, all and sundry (and happy holidays to you).

I'm currently in the process of writing a 'starter scenario' or adventure for first-time players, for the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Second Edition rules (because that's what I have and know fairly well).

What I'm trying to do is to write a tale that is both memorable as a story, but which also at the same time allows the players to discover all the options available to their characters at the same time. What I mean is, that through the adventure, players not only learn some of the rules of the game, but also a number of different things that can come up (so that they realize how truly "open" the game is to a character in terms of what they can and can't try).

At the same time, enjoying Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms, I want to include some "quickstart realmslore" as well to ground the players in this setting without overwhelming them. More like a few things that are typically Realms and sets it apart from other settings.

I'm using Scrivener to keep my notes somewhat organized, so I have "Rules" and "Realmslore" draft pages.

The question now, of course, is what would YOU include? Or do you have any thoughts about such a project? Where in the Realms would you start a story?

Note: I'm trying to design an adventure that most likely will be played by kids (ages 8-9 or thereabouts), so I have in mind to have the adventure be mostly about a dungeon as they love that part of the game the few times I've let them "try D&D". Consider those times "screenings" for what works and doesn't work when trying to run a game for the younglings. Dungeons with hidden buttons and keys and orcs certainly went down well, while anything requiring much character interaction or "city strolling" was deemed bo-o-oring.

TL;DR
Any suggestions for what to incorporate in a definitive "First Time Player of AD&D - set in the Realms" module?

If I ever manage to finalize this little side project I will of course offer it to anyone here would like to take a look/read.

Best regards,
Caladan Brood (and his hammer of awesomeness)

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  19:01:47  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some more information (I'm not trying to have anyone write it for me, just looking for input/inspiration):

I've decided to start in the Dalelands, as this area to me feels the most like "the Realms" (perhaps because the Dalelands come to mind so quick when thinking of the Realms).
I was thinking that some elements that could start the "tour de Realms" include Shadowtops (if they exist in the Dales of course), whispers about Myth Drannor (for "history depth" and Elves), letting the characters overhear the ballad printed in "Volo's Guide" (Jonstan the Rover)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2014 :  21:08:35  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never seen a better First Adventure than Treasure Hunt (N4, by Aaron Allston). There are a couple of things I think are really great about this adventure.

1. Characters start at level 0, so generation is simplified. The players basically decide their race and name, roll ability scores, write a physical description. They have the normal secondary skill(s) and one weapon proficiency. That's it. No class and no alignment. No equipment in this case either, because the PCs start out cuffed in a slave galley. The DM tracks their alignment and skill tendencies, and guides each player to decide on a class when sufficient XP is earned to achieve level 1. This is ideal for young players, who may not have the attention span or "bandwidth" to absorb descriptions of all the different PC classes before deciding what they want to play, and having it develop organically from play is pretty awesome, as well as a huge savings of time.

2. The adventure focuses on a tiny little corner of the Realms, in this case the Korinn Archipelago of the Moonshaes. There is sufficient development of the setting for the purposes of the adventure, but it's not encyclopedic so there's no danger of it being overwhelming to new players. It's also not overwhelming for DMs -- in contrast, for example, to setting an adventure in Waterdeep, where the the volume of lore you *could* incorporate if you had the time and energy is literally infinite. This is an out of the way area of the Realms, and the information in the adventure is pretty sufficient, which leaves the DM free to invest as little/much effort as desired into the setting... and spend the balance of the time helping the players get a handle on roleplaying, which is the legitimate point of the adventure.

If it were me, and if I'd decided on the Dales, I would pick a tiny little rural town, one where they won't be bothered by constables asking lots of questions or troublemakers following them around. There's plenty of options for those who want to "dig in" and *know* the place, but it doesn't assail them when their interests lie elsewhere... like a dungeon for instance. But that's just me. Seems like everyone in a small town is busy with their own lives and livelihoods, and that should leave adventurers free to slip into a cavern and poke buttons and play with puzzles.

But I think simplifying character generation should go a long way with new players... it lets them make choices and have creative control (as opposed to pregen characters) while keeping things quick and easy for them.

Have fun!

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 25 Dec 2014 21:11:06
Go to Top of Page

SaMoCon
Senior Scribe

USA
403 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2014 :  07:37:34  Show Profile Send SaMoCon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Xaeyruudh has a point when he says "pick a tiny little rural town." Much of the canon for the Realms are in big sweeping strokes of bold color with outsized personalities wielding immense power. Your typical AD&D PC would get crushed or be greatly overshadowed by the real power players of the Realms. Small but important is what you need to keep in mind for yourself and your players.

I differ by suggesting N5 "Under Illefarn" by Steve Perrin because it actively incorporates the players into a community with various people interacting with the players' characters. Daggerford is a small town but it lies on the very important Trade Way road on which much commerce moves down from Waterdeep and the Delimbyr Valley and up from Baldur's Gate, the Sunset Vale, the Fields of the Dead, Amn, and Cormyr. Daggerford is also a place of refuge for all the farming communities in a hundred miles in all directions. One of the rules of Daggerford is if you are an able adult and have stayed longer than two weeks then you must participate in the town militia or leave town (the barons do the same for the outlying farms in their lands). Duty is light with 3 days of patrols/sentries and 1 day of training per month but is a good way to get a disparate group of players to be together and provides a common bond between them and the area as they interact with the citizenry who rely on them for security and in times of need.

With a little tweaking, you can change N5 to suit the Dalelands. I would suggest High Dale because of its size, its distinction for being most often ignored by its more powerful neighbors, its importance for occupying a mountain gap through which a named trade road passes (Thunder Way), and the small town feel to the entire dale (the largest community, High Castle, has just over 800 people). The location so close to Cormyr, Cormanthor, and Sembia makes it an excellent jump off if the players feel like they have outgrown High Dale after a few harrowing adventures.

Make the best use of the system that's there, then modify the mechanics that don't allow you to have the fun you are looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2014 :  23:25:02  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just adding my own copper piece to the pile. I rarely use published adventures when I introduce people to D&D or the Realms. I try to incorporate two things: 1. make sure a good number of the encounters have a way to either fight through or roleplay through, and make both options have positive and negative consequences. I don't always want them to default to RP, but neither do I want them to just smash things.

2. Present lore like you teach a child to speak, so they associate the Realms term with the object in question. For example, "the Waterdhavian merchant pays you with two square, gold coins with a hole stamped in the center. You recognize it instantly as a toal, worth about 2gp." To put it another way, I try to present information in a, your character would know this because he's grown up in this world" format. My PCs have picked up on it over time, and it's a lot more immersive than "he pays you 4gp"

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  02:43:58  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Do it like Ed Greenwood did it.
For the first adventure, start off small. All you need is a village, a dungeon and a reason to go there.
As the players progress, you can start detailing the world more and more. Once the players are starting to get bored with just your simple village, introduce badguys that are from some not necessarily well-detailed evil empire, and have the players travel somewhere else to foil their evil plans. Have an idea what other areas of the world are like, but save your energy for detailing the parts that your players are likely to interact with. That's how Ed did it.

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  04:47:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always said that if I kicked off a campaign it would be set in Amphail, a couple of days down the road from Waterdeep. Lots of low level adventure opportunities before you decide to head to the big smoke, or to the surrounding countryside.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  22:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks for all the replies. I haven't had the time to read it, but I will :)
Happy new year!
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2015 :  19:21:24  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd take the horror scenarios from Night of Knives (experiencing Shadow's overlay from the perspective of an ordinary street urchin) and adjust it to fit the Realms.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000