Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Spellplague
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pluddon
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  17:38:11  Show Profile Send Pluddon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello again, I've recently developed an interest in the spellplague (as my campaign is nearing 1385). While searching for info I've not been able to find much of what happened during the span of its chaos. I'm looking for things like what major figures/Gods died, and what empires and organizations crumbled due to the lack do Magic and the azure flames.

Thank you

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  19:47:34  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Spellplague

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  21:35:37  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also a lengthy post on the WotC forums with more about the deities beginning at the "Slain Deities" header.

*logs off, unplugs internet*
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  08:53:24  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too am interested in this topic, so thank you folks for adding this. I was curious of it's main cause, it's major effects on the population, wars, etc.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  14:25:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You will not get much info about 'The Wailing Years' because there isn't much, and what little we do have is rather confusing and ambiguous.

Their stated intent was to separate the 4e Realms (fans) from the need to know the monumental amount of 'past lore', which could be intimidating (and on many levels, I agree with their reasoning). By not 'filling in' that century, they didn't bridge the editions, which turned-out to be a double-edged sword. With the backlash against the rules (and Paizo and many others supporting 3e), new fans didn't care for the meager offerings, and old fans hated the complete disconnect.

And YES, there are exceptions... there are always exceptions, and 4e wasn't nearly as bad as most of us made it out to be, but the damage was done. 4e was meant to be 'something different' from the earlier 3 editions of FR, and in that they may have achieved their goal a bit too well. "Be careful of what you wish for" and all that.

So you find little lore because there is little lore, as it was meant to be. I don't think thats going to change. If 5e FR turns out to be a raging success, we may see some back-filling of local lore, but they will never want to fully detail the entire setting, because that will just recreate the presumed problems with 1e/2e/3e ("feelings of entitlement").

All IMHO of course. Things may change - things change all the time.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Dec 2014 14:25:48
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  18:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As an amusing aside, my family and I watch an ABC show called 'Once Upon a Time'. In the most recent episode, the snow queen summons a magical cerulean storm that rolls over the region cursing any caught in its path. This storm is pretty close to how I imagine the Spellplague appeared as it rolled across Toril.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2014 :  19:50:07  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once Upon a Time is a good show. :)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  13:54:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That - amongst several other TV shows of late - is starting to make me lose interest. Didn't really care for how that storyline ended (too 'Disney'). Just for once I'd like to see a true 'baddie' on that show - one that NEVER regrets.

I do love how they entwine the fairytales together, though. Reminds me of how we re-work the lore around here.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000