Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Faerunian Druidic Circles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1144 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2016 :  15:04:28  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All the more mysterious that they seem to have been spotted in the Kryptgarden, no? Are they a refugee clan of crash landed xixchil, with the citadel being the only visible part of a antilan shardship deeply embedded in the soil of the 'Garden? Or a mountain/forest adapted offshoot of kreen, that uses its psionics mainly for camouflage? In my case I need to limit the CR so I choose to include them as an offshoot kreen race, that is in the start of an urbanisation phase thanks to their ruling elites burgeoning mastery of the Art.

The erect insect-men could be formorians (but I don't like them overly much as a FR monster race without thoroughly connecting them to Mechanus). The spellweaver option is also very tempting tough. They have been teased to appear in numerous places over the Realms. Perhaps they defend a Node of theirs in the Kryptgarden; or a precious Spellweaver artifact such as a Starry Mirror (a multi-connected portal entrance)?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13618 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2017 :  16:52:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was looking for info on 'Deeping Cave' and came across this thread...

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

quote:
Originally posted by Cards77

Hrm is that Berlinford even Canon? I can't find it on any map or anywhere except in that issue.

Ask Markus. What I can tell you is that it is an FR adventure. Not sure of the canoninity(?) of Dungeon adventures. I would be inclined to say yes, but what do I know?

My approach was always to treat the Dungeon adventures as canon, unless they can't be reconciled with other sources. (And most of the time, there's a way.)
Eric (of course) has the right of it, and I have placed Berlingford on at least two maps. Unfortunately, neither of those have been publicly posted (one was for the 'extended version' of the High Forest map I did for Eric, and the other is on my updated 'Western Heartlands' map, which I stopped updating (and didn't repost) simply because I've changed my style and will be redoing the whole of Faerūn eventually.

I've placed it between the two small forests known as 'The Night Trees' (its the best fit), which coincidentally merged with the Moonwood as of 4e and the whole things is now called 'The Glimmerwood'. One of those small forest was locally known as Laednon. Its also the site of a locally-famous 'Spring Faire'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Mar 2017 16:54:46
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
729 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2017 :  23:17:58  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I placed it on my map of the North too. Dungeon #103 places it in a small forest northeast of the Moonwood.

Trying to reconcile the 1e/2e era maps with the smushed 3e era map was difficult, but typically there are three forests running north to south in between the Moonwood and the Coldwood. The 3e Silver Marches map calls the north one the Druarwood, and says both the lower two are the Night Trees. I stuck with this definition going forwards, as there's been nothing to contradict it since.

As I didn't feel like Berlingford was in the Druarwood, the Night Trees, or the Coldwood, and I didn't want to draw a new forest, so I placed it in the northeastern section of the Moonwood. I imagine on a smaller scale map, you might be able to see the Laednon as sitting just slightly separate to the larger Moonwood, perhaps separated from a branch of the River Redrun.

Edit: Your definition works fine too though. I imagine there's lots of small forests in the area that don't make it onto the larger maps.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 17 Mar 2017 23:22:52
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13618 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  00:55:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My assumption was that the 'Laednon' was one of the two 'Night Trees' - probably the one closer to the Moonwood (in which case, sticking Berlingford between that and the Moonwood would probably be best, since the map that came with the adventure shows Berlingford IN the Moonwood... which really doesn't work with the rest of it (leave one forest to travel to another forest?) Thus, the road Berlingford is on falls out between the two forests.

It doesn't really matter so much in 5e, now that all the forests are one.

The 'Night Trees' works well for forests with lycanthropes, name-wise.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Mar 2017 00:56:25
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
729 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  08:21:24  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I avoided placing Berlingford in the Night Trees due to how the Night Trees were portrayed in Silver Marches (p15):
quote:
...these woodlands are avoided by dwarf, elf, human, and orc alike...

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North

Edited by - KanzenAU on 18 Mar 2017 08:21:57
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000