Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Greater Arcane Age Faerun?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2014 :  21:09:03  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings, fellow scribes.

I think I would like to do something with Ancient Faerun; but I'm not sure what yet.

I'm looking for an ancient Faerunian time period that is not humanocentric. Ideally, one with lots of different interesting things going on at the same time, with different races. I'm cool with time periods that are sparsely detailed; I can always make stuff up to fill it in, but I would like to hear about the interesting things that ARE going on, and where.

As I would need to make a Faerunian map, I'm also interested in any political borders or other maps of the time periods.

I know very little about the following and would enjoy hearing more about any of it in general (or being pointed toward the right books)
  • What do you guys know about the various Dragon Kingdoms?

• When and why did the Elves make the Dracorage Mythal?

• What do you guys know about the time period of the Sarrukh and the other "Creator Races?"

• When and where do the massive Gnoll and Hobgoblin empires exist?

Here's the stuff I'm fairly familiar with (drawn mostly from Cormanthyr Empire of Elves, Myth Drannor Boxed Set, and Fall of myth Drannor).
  • First Flowering (-24000 -> -12000)
    > Elven Dominated Faerun
    > 5 Major Elven powers (Aryvandaar, Illefarn, Miyeritar, Shantel Othreier, Keltormyr)

• The (first 3) Crown Wars (-12000 -> -10500)
    > The Elven Kingdoms war with eachother for centuries.

• The Dark Disaster (-10500)
    > In an act of blasphemy and as a massive war-crime, Miyeritar is devastated using a magically generated High-Magic storm.

• The 4th Crown War: The Descent (-10450 -> -10000)
    > The Ilythiiri are horrified at the destruction of Miyeritar; and the gloves come off.
    > They stop adhering to any kind of "honorable warfare" and decide to go after Vyshaantar by any means necessary.

• The 5th Crown War (-9200 -> -9000)
    > An uneasy peace between the elves while they try to negotiate something long term happens. The Elven Court in Arcorar is established.
    > Many elves begin the retreat to Evermeet, to try to forget the horrors of the last several centuries.
    > The Elven court decides the Vyshaanti are the reason peace cannot happen, and decides to strip them of their status, power, position, and lives. The Vyshaanti had spies in the elven court, and start a new war against all other Elves, this time to try to keep their lives and their power. This was doomed to failure.

• Rise of Humanity/The Founding (-9000 -> -4000)
    >Now in peace, the elves spread out and start several colonies and new civilizations, including Evereska, and the Yuirwood.
    >Humans and the other "Civilized" races are starting to have a more active presence and their own kingdoms.
    > Moonblades are forged.

• The age of Netheril
    >Earlann and Illefarn are the major elven nations
    >Elves help free Gnomish slaves from the Netherese.

• Survivor Wars
    >After the fall of Netheril, magic was fundamentally different, and powerful magic was more dangerous.
    >Netherese Survivor states press the borders of elven nations, trying to reacquire powerful magic, by stealing it from the elves. They fail.

• Glory of Myth Drannor
    >As the Netherese Survivor States decline, elven ire toward humans also declines, but fear of them grows. Additionally, soutside threats, such as orcish hordes and the like, are a threat to human and elven realms, and they are forced to start forging alliances for mutual survival.

• The Prime of Myth Drannor (Cormanthyr Empire of Elves) (3983 -> 65)
    > Myth Drannor is a welcome hub of activity (primary period for Cormanthyr Empire of Elves.

• The Fall of Myth Drannor (The Fall of Myth Drannor) (652 -> 714)
    >Many things happen leading to the downfall of one of the great empires of the world.
    The end culminates with a series of wars against a demon army.

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 27 Nov 2014 21:12:56

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  03:18:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

• What do you guys know about the time period of the Sarrukh and the other "Creator Races?"

• Get your hands on a copy of "Serpent Kingdoms". Lots of information there.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
    Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
    Learned Scribe

Canada
    313 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  03:49:11  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:
    Originally posted by George Krashos

Get your hands on a copy of "Serpent Kingdoms". Lots of information there.

Oh; I have that on my shelf; I picked it up a few months back when someone was getting rid of their 3e stuff. (I forgot all about that book).

Okay - how about the other stuff?

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)

Edited by - Sylrae on 28 Nov 2014 05:07:04
    Go to Top of Page

Barastir
    Master of Realmslore

Brazil
    1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  14:25:11  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    The Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy tells at least part of the history behind the creation of the Dracorage Mythal, which is also summarized in other sources, like the GHotR.

EDIT: Check also Dragons of Faerūn.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
    fought for to be attained and maintained.
    Lead by example.
    Let your deeds speak your intentions.
    Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
    (by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 28 Nov 2014 15:11:08
    Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
    Learned Scribe

Canada
    313 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2014 :  21:55:55  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Thanks Barastir.

And what about the Gnolls and Hobgoblins? I have only heard about their empires from other scribes here on candlekeep. Where might I find more information about those?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
    Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
    11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  16:50:05  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    to my knowledge, there's never been any canon in-depth information on the gnoll and hobgoblins tribes in the past of ancient Faerun. Personally, when it comes to the gnolls, I like the idea that there were several mammalian-humanoid races that either rose up naturally or were unintentional imports from faerie that were in the hordelands and the unapproachable east. So, gnolls (including several variations such as more wolf-like or more doglike gnolls), cat-people in various forms (wemics, cat folk, rakastas), goatfolk (ibixians from MM3 in 3.5), yikaria (yak-men) and minotaurs, centaurs, quaggoths on the surface (aka deep bears), Alaghi, Shatjan (reindeer headed humanoids from the hordelands) and hybsil (tauric deer folk), foxwomen, lamias, bariaur, etc....

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
    Go to Top of Page

jordanz
    Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  17:53:21  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    And lets not forget the Giant Kingdoms... I would love to know how the Dwarves overthrew them , I sure some EPIC Dwarven Champions had to be involved somehow....
    Go to Top of Page

Markustay
    Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
    15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2014 :  17:58:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I'm pretty-sure that when the giants found out the dwarves were killing them to eat their brains, they were horrified and left of their own accord.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
      Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000