Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Moonshae
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
574 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2015 :  11:32:49  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, if you don't have the issue at hand, I'll post the bit about Eldath.

quote:

Myrloch: Oft featured in song, Myrloch is large
freshwater lake; its 800 square miles are deep, cold,
and clear. Centuries past illuskan settlers built
defensible, man-made islands on the loch, called
crannógs. Accessible by coracle, these small islands
served as shrines to the lake spirit Eldath. A handful
of crannóg remain today, preserved by nereids in
service to Sarifal.

So what do you think of the idea of Eldath being another of the Earthmother's children?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2015 :  14:34:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well all the gods have to come from somewhere.
Either they are ascended mortals (a recent trend I think). Or they were once primordials (and to me that means they were spawned by beings like the earthmother)
Or they were powerful beings from elsewhere.
Or they were beings already in charge of a region of the planes (cosmic entities is a name i've heard that fits this category).

I hadn't really thought about any deities in the moonshaes as I consider it earthmother only territory, but she will have had plenty of 'children' so the primordial spawners gives one more possible origin for plenty of gods (I certainly prefer it to them all coming from elsewhere)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
574 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2015 :  15:00:44  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I think Eldath might have started in Moonshae isles, as the Spirit of the Myrloch Vale lake, that moved out later to the main Faerunian continent. I could guess the Leshay would see her originaly as a caring "Big Sister" of sorts, and fey, like Nereids, remember her. Eldath could be even a precursor/prototype to Leshay, and could be a missing link between Earthmothers bestial children(Kazgoroth, Kamerlynn, Leviathan and the Pack) and the Leshay, although not necessarily a direct ancestor.

One must admit her presence at Myrloch Vale, is something unique, especialy seeing the places connection to fey, and the Leshay city of Karador.

[EDIT]

Also, the shrines are preserved on by nereids on Sarifal's orders...This kind-off makes me more sure there is a connection between Leshay, and Eldath, they seem fond enough of the Green Goddess, to have her shrines protected, even if they were manmade.

Edited by - Baltas on 01 Mar 2015 15:43:01
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  11:00:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reworked my dwarven history since i noted that the refugees from Shanatar had to have come from the east (it says in the mindstalker wars that the eastern realms were affected) and so the kingdoms with likely refugees are Barakuir (Duergar, Korolnor, and Drakkalor).

So if you wanted a non duergar heir to clan duergar (and therefore potential user of the wyrmskull throne) could be found in the Moonshae Isles).

Dwarvenhome: Millennia ago, dwarves from the kingdoms of Barakuir, Drakkalor, and Korolnor suffered much in the years leading up to the Mindstalker Wars. When the illithids attacked Shanatar around -8100 DR and overwhelmed Barakuir, the holds bordering that realm came under sustained attack from the mind-flayers and were forced to flee.
Heading north and west, pursued by trolls (from the lands now known as Stommheim the Everlasting Kingdom), the dwarves came across a remote and previously unknown passageway that led to a series of caverns under the Moonshae Isles. To prevent the trolls from following them they collapsed the tunnels behind them and sealed themselves in what would prove to be an abundant underground paradise land.
The dwarves named the network of caverns beneath the Moonshae Isles Deepearth, and immediately began making a home for themselves.
Lacking elders or those familiar with the intricacies of government (most survivors of the journey were merchants, craftsmen or solders, all the old or injured dwarves perished), the dwarves turned to the warriors of Korolnor that had protected them on their journey. A council of dwarves were appointed and they in turn nominated a Shield Lord to look after Dwarvenhome in times of peace, and an Axe Lord to cater to Dwarvenhome during times of war.
With scarcely more than 200 dwarves surviving the journey from Shanatar, the dwarves opted to live in small well defended holds that were connected to an ever expanding network of similar holds by secure tunnels no wider than two dwarves abreast. That way the dwarves made less of a target for themselves and were not concentrated in one area but could provide limited assistance where necessary and the tunnels were easy to defend by a small number of dwarves.
Using this model the dwarves expanded gradually to cover the central and most fertile cavern beneath the isle of Gwynneth which became the city of Dwarvenhome (a name that would later apply to the entire realm). They then spread out to the surrounding caverns and created more cities to establish the realm of Dwarvenhome. These cities were Unkoldivvern (beneath Norheim), Sarmaksrin (beneath Moray), Dimmeverin (beneath Alaron), Boldokarar (beneath Norland), Bralacarim (beneath the Korinn Archipelago), Azurantor (beneath Flamsterd), and Orgolmordak (beneath Snowdown).
Each cavern then established a surface hold from which to exploit minerals on the surface and to establish trade with other realms there.
The dwarves secured the mountains of the Moonshae Isles for themselves and drove the goblinoids out of their mountain hovels, allowing trade with the elves and later the firbolgs; when they arrived.
Relations between the firbolgs and dwarves were initially frosty, but the dwarves soon learned these “giants” were more noble than their kin that had been encountered in Shanatar. They shared higher ideals and a desire to establish a home for themselves away from the dangers of the mainland; such goals the dwarves could identify with.
What began as a trading pact soon became an alliance wherein the dwarves helped the giants construct immense surface strongholds and provided them with rare and magical ores mined from the depths of the earth. In return the firbolgs exchanged with the dwarves knowledge of runemagic that none of the refugees from Shanatar possessed. This allowed the dwarves to rediscover much of their magical heritage and even allowed them to rediscover the secret of creating magical gates which were setup in each of the cities of Dwarvenhome.
Unfortunately the alliance was not to last and the machinations of ancient evil beings caused warfare between the dwarves and the firbolgs. Using the weapon-lore taught to them by the dwarves, the firbolgs breached the defences of many surface holds and slew the dwarves living there. In retaliation the dwarves used their ancient giant killing techniques to wreak their revenge.
It took the loss of both the Axe Lord of Dwarvenhome and the imprisonment of Grond Peaksmasher; Paramount of the firbolds, to end the war between these two former allies. Axe Lord Bormin Drelgarl was inside Hardang’s Hold when the firbolgs attacked, he was cleaved in two by the Silver Hafted Axe. Grond Peaksmasher was imprisoned a few years later when Icepeak collapsed beneath his feet during a battle with Rendar the Bear. After that the firbolg’s lost their appetite for war and spread out across the Moonshae Isles.
The Axe Lord was never replaced and the dwarves set about rebuilding their destroyed surface holdings and trying to restore the damage done and the thousands of lives lost in the war.
Before they could finish replacing that which was lost, Duergar from powerful kingdoms under Faerûn discovered the collapsed tunnel while searching for remnants of Shanatar and followed the handiwork of their ancient kin. Using their slave armies they overwhelmed the small underground holdings of the dwarves in Orgolmordak and then Dwarvenhome itself.
The dwarven holds were well defended, but not enough to withstand the might of determined armies and siege weapons, the holds were breached and the tunnels compromised before the dwarves had a chance to send aid. The army swarmed around the holds to stop any armed resistance before it was formed, and at the same time hordes of gibberlings, goblins, and other slaves were pushed through the tunnels to occupy the dwarves in their homes.
Once the city of Dwarvenhome and the council fell the rest of the realm collapsed quickly and the remaining dwarves retreated to their surface holdings, collapsing the tunnel shafts behind them and leaving the duergar to their spoils.
What the dwarves didn’t know was that shortly after conquering Dwarvenhome, the Duergar were recalled by their kingdoms to fight in other wars as the Duergar’s power began to wane. The abandoned caverns were claimed by the few deserting Duergar that remained and whatever other creatures moved in to the power vacuum in these previously unspoiled lands. Goblins, trolls, svirfneblin, slimes, moulds, and all other manner of creatures took up residence in the cavern network.
After centuries on the surface the dwarves of each hold attempted to individually reclaim the lands of their ancestors. Their efforts met with varying success; the dwarves of Dennin’s Delve were able to secure a large portion of Sarmaksrin from the monsters that infested it. The dwarves of Highrock had less success against the goblinoids and duergar that infested Dimmeverin.
During that time the humans began to arrive on the Moonshae Isles and the dwarves found new avenues of trade (although they were initially wary at opening relations with a new race after the disaster with the firbolgs, thankfully the elves persuaded them otherwise) and prosperity.
This period of growth and reclamation ended in 987 DR when the Rockfire disaster occurred in the Underdark to the west of the Moonshae Isles. Part of the volcanic network that makes the Moonshae Isles so fertile ruptured and caused a massive eruption west of Norland and Moray. Mixing with seawater from flooded caverns it caused superheated steam and magma to blast through the Deepearth caverns.
The effects were sporadic; magma erupted into Boldokarar and buried most of the city and its inhabitants, steam boiled through Unkoldivvern causing a proliferation in simple life forms while at the same time extinguishing more complex life. A funnel of magma and steam even extended under the Deepearth and surfaced in the undersea realm of Nindrol to the south west of the Moonshae Isles were it killed most of the royal family.
Since that disaster the dwarves have never tried to venture beneath the mountains into the Underdark, it is regarded as foolish and taboo to do so, in fact the dwarves of the Moonshae could be regarded as being fearful of venturing deep underground.
Dwarvenhome: The once great city of Dwarvenhome spread out from the centre of the great cavern beneath Myrloch Vale on the isle of Gwynneth. A series of small interconnected holds radiated outward from the central outpost and each individual hold was supposed to be self sufficient which the dwarves had hoped would aid their survival when they first arrived here from Shanatar.
Unfortunately the small holds were no match for the armies of Duergar and once the grey dwarves breached the defences at Orgolmordak they quickly shattered Dwarvenhomes small outposts.
Nowadays the ruins of Dwarvenhome remain as small ruined outposts each containing a community from various races such as duergar, svirfneblin, goblins, and other Underdark nasties. The duergar were particularly successful at securing outposts with nearby access points to the surface so that they can raid nearby Ffolk settlements.
Unkoldivvern: One of the cities of Dwarvenhome, this northern city lay beneath the island chain of Norheim and is situated atop a number of volcanic vents that keep the air warm and humid (with a slight sulphurous tinge). Goblinoids from the surface have frequently ventured into these caverns and they have often encountered a mould that thrived on exposed flesh, gradually spreading over entire organisms and dissolving their skin into liquid goo.
The fungus is air born from fruiting bodies that appear out of the skin of infected individuals (they look like purple spots that occasionally puff out yellow dust). The entire goblinoid population of Unkoldivvern is infected from birth in this dangerous cavern and the dark goblins of Bralacarim use fire and magic to scour any intruders from the neighbouring cavern that try venture in.
Other dangers lurk in this cavern, the heat and trace elements provided by the volcanic activity have caused a proliferation in slimes and oozes that coat the yellowed and ruined holds of the ancient dwarves. All varieties of these creatures can be found here and they all possess a resistance to heat that makes them even more dangerous than usual.
A group of drow originally from Guallidurth that migrated out west beneath the Trackless Sea was diverted back towards the Moonshae Isles by the Rockfire Disaster and they have set up shrines to Ghaunadaur in the caverns of Unkoldivvern to worship the monsters that lurk here. These drow also suffer from the same fungal infection as the goblins but it rarely proves to be fatal to them (it is no less painful though)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
574 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2015 :  12:36:40  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, I wonder if maybe the Unkoldivvern fungus is related to Ghaunadaur, or Moander.

Also, will you elaborate o the origins of LLewyrr elves? They are descrbed as physicaly resembling Sun Elves the most, but Wild Elves in ways. They started out as refuges from LLewyrrwood, which was itself a collony of Illefarn. Illefarn itself was populated by a mix of Sun, Moon and Wood Elves. So maybe the Llewyrr elves are mostly descended from Gold Elves, although with subtle changes to their physique due to some Moon and Wood elven blood, and possibly the inluence of Moonshae Isles itself, causing them to revert slightly to their fey ancestry. The change in tradition, can be atributed mostly to the Leshay influence, along with Wood elven tradition carrying over.

[EDIT]

Also, another possibility, is that the LLewyrr Elves have some(but pretty little) Leshay blood, in them.

Edited by - Baltas on 06 Mar 2015 12:49:02
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2015 :  12:55:51  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hadnt thought much about the elves up to this point. Although i will have to have a look.

My initial thoughts are that Synnorria becomes an unintentional refuge for elves from mainland Faerun that are engaging in the Retreat. The magic of the place is such that those arriving on their way to Evermeet are often unwilling to leave and so what may have started as a gold elf realm is now a mix of many elven sub races.

Of course for me Synnorria is in massive decline due to the magic influencing them (Kamerynn) and that is why they have ignored the Retreat and their population has declined to the point that there are less than a few hundred elves living there.

As for Unkoldivvern. There is nothing innately magical or special about the fungi or oozes, it is merely a byproduct of the Rockfire disaster.

The heat from the magma and steam would have obliterated all multicellular organisms in the cavern system and then the sulphur and other fumes would have finished off anything the magma didnt kill.

That leaves single celled organisms to thrive in a hot, humid, sulphur rich environment filled with dead bodies. What i remember of biology that is pretty good conditions for moulds. I figure in DnD world the oozes and moulds would do pretty well digesting the dead and anything else that happens to wander into the caverns later.

So there are lots of oozy dangers in that one particular cavern being tended by the drow and maybe a few have achieved a form of sentience and motility thanks to the efforts of the drow or the favour of a deity or through magical evolution (perhaps leakage of energy from the earthmother).

I'm picturing lakes of green slime that is resistant to fire. patches of mould that creep slowly towards anything living. Oozes that squelch along the ceiling and walls waiting for organic material to pass nearby (so they can clean up), and patches of mould or fungus growing on the floor and buildings that sends up clouds of flesh eating spores whenever something passes nearby or disturbs it. And then in the middle of it all a building filled with drow, worshipping ghaunadaur, and shepherding the gooey things to do their bidding.

At the moment i'm working on finishing the lineages of Corwell, Snowdown, Moray, and Oman's Isle for Issue 8. Really makes you appreciate the hard work the realms guru's put in when they come up with a lineage dating back 1000 years.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
360 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2015 :  22:59:34  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am using the Llewyrr elves as a central feature of a story line that I'm developing, building on the lore of the Moonshae novels and Brian R James' Realmslore: Sarifal, (although emphatically excluding the most recent novel Rose of Sarifal). So I have quite a bit to add on the subject. More soon.

Edited by - BenN on 06 Mar 2015 23:00:12
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  09:24:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well please share your ideas. Im always looking for new ideas to steal, er I mean weave into the lore of the area.

I have to admit I tend to sideline the demihuman races in favour of the humans but thankfully that is supposed to happen in the moonshaes

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2015 :  18:59:19  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Decided on using the Banshrae to reintroduce one of the old kings of the ffolk (i.e. one that is dead but of course gets brought back to unlife).

I'm thinking this could be a sort of tragic "organisation", although really they are just a group of people brought together by common circumstance (them all being formerly dead and cursed with unlife).

The king can of course be the holder of an important artefact for the campaign.

Best of all I can use these guys as good guys at the start and gradually turn them towards bad guys as they come more and more under kazgoroths control.

So the smart ones know they are doomed to be evil and so organise the others to try and do as much good as they can

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
360 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  08:57:03  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

well please share your ideas.

My campaign/storyline is set in the 5e present, and pretty much adheres to canon (although basically pretending that The Rose of Sarifal doesn't exist). For clarity's sake 'Eladrin' refers to the pre-4e beings.

I'll fill in some more soon, but here are some of my notes so far:

1) Current locations
- Primarily Chrysalis and the valley of Synnoria, but more than 1,500 of the Llewyrr live and work in Karador, mostly servants or guards in the service of the LeShay and eladrin nobility.

2) Current population
- Just over 5,000 Llewyrr elves, and 400 Thy-Tach wood elves. The latter are the survivors & descendants of the wood elf tribe stranded in Gwynneth following the Elfeater's attack on Synnoria, which destroyed the Fey-Alamtine gate that they'd been planning to use to migrate to Evermeet.

3) Society
- Organized into clan groups of 100-200 individuals. Communal living, shared tasks, some activities emphasized in particular clans (according to traditional specialization). Think: elven version of Israeli kibbutz.

- Limited intermingling with Thy-Tach clan. Many Llewyrr think themselves superior to the relatively primitive wood elves. For their part, the Thy-Tach do not appreciate the patronising tone of some of their Llewyrr 'benefactors'.

- Pregnancy is rare; male babies are especially rare (females make up more than 70% of the population). The long-term population decline is becoming an existential crisis for the Llewyrr, given their losses in the war against the Unseelie. Much to the horror of the more traditional elders amongst the Llewyrr, some of the younger female elves have taken to sharing the more fertile of the male clan members, as a response to the fertility problem.

- Many Llewyrr are vegetarian, but not all. Some Llewyrr eat fish, and some even embrace the meat-eating ways of their Thy-Tach cousins.

- Many Llewyrr work as servants or guards in Karador, in service to the noble eladrin of the LeShay court. They are treated very much as a servant class by the nobility.

- Contact with the outside world (for both diplomacy and trade) is maintained via a small halfling fishing village on the eastern coast of Gwynneth, set in a sheltered bay with a small island in the middle. The halfling merchants provide goods and materials from Callidyrr and the mainland of Faerun. The Llewyrr provide security in return. Visiting (human) ships are not permitted to berth at the village; they must use the anchorage adjacent to the small island in the bay (think: foreigners restricted to Dejima Island in Nagasaki Bay, in 17th century Japan). The island is managed primarily by halflings, along with semi-permanent human staff, as well as a very few enterprising (and broad-minded) Llewyrr elves.

4) Government & military
- When the LeShay and noble eladrin returned from the Feywild and took over Gwynneth, Serene Matriarch Ate'Niah looked on with dismay at the conflict with the Ffolk. However, she felt that her people had no choice but to swear allegiance and offer fealty to the LeShay and their noble eladrin courtiers.

- The eldest of Ate'Niah's two daughters has thrown in her lot with the noble eladrin, wedding a lord of Karador. Her younger sister, however, chafes at the LeShay/eladrin domination of the Llewyrr, and leads a quiet passive resistance to their rule, all the while serving as a leader in the Sisters of Synnoria.

- The military forces of Synnoria have been pressed into the service of the LeShay, in the war against the Unseelie Court, in patrolling the lands of Sarifal, and in providing security as guards in Karador itself. Many feel that they are being used as 'spear-fodder' in the battle of attrition against the Dark Fey and their allies.

- The Llewyrr military consist of two main units: the Sisters of Synnoria and the Militia.

- The Sisters of Synnoria are primarily mounted knights, armored with platemail or elven chain hauberks, and armed with lances, longswords an composite short bows. They include a number of clerics and fighter-mages in their ranks, to provide healing and both offensive and defensive magic.

- Augmenting the Sisters of Synnoria are a number of small teams of female Llewyrr fighter/mages or ranger/mages, and male & female Thy-Tach rangers and ranger/druids, in the role of skirmishers, long-range scouts & information gatherers, and snipers.

- A typical Synnorian patrol will consist of 14-16 Sister Knights, 1-2 clerics, 1-2 fighter/mages, and 2-4 scout-rangers, for a total combined strength of up to 24 troops.

- Total strength of Synnorian forces is approximately 250. Militia is just over 1,000.

- The Llewyrr Militia are part-time reserve troops, drawn from the general population, primarily consisting of the older elves, and youngsters still in training. Their main role is in providing guard duty in Synnoria and Karador. Increasingly, with the mounting losses amongst the Sisters, the more capable individuals of the Militia have been drafted in as battle-casualty replacements, much to the dismay of the veterans. The Militia consists of both male and female Llewyrr, but only females have been drafted to front-line units (so far).

5) Conflicts
- War vs. the Unseelie Court & Shadovar allies.
- LeShay/noble eladrin loyalists vs. nascent rebels opposed to the established order.
- Conflict vs. human raiders (Northmen and pirates)
- Isolationists vs. those who are curious about the outside world (including those who see the outside world as the only salvation of the Llewyrr from subjugation & extinction).
- Earthmother-worshipping traditionalists vs. followers of the Seldarine.
- Traditional, insular & highly-cultured superior Llewyrr vs. the simple, wild & free feral wood elves of the Thy-Tach.
- Traditionalists vs. the communal system.
- Vegetarians vs. fish/meat-eaters.

More coming soon!

Edited by - BenN on 09 Mar 2015 08:58:47
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2015 :  15:07:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well issue 8 of forgotten realms alternate dimensions is out featuring a number of articles based on the reinvention of the Moonshaes i have begun in this thread.

In a few months time i will finish the sourcebook i'm rewriting for the Moonshaes and that will be issue 9.

I like some of the ideas for the llewyrr. I even mentioned the low numbers of males born. Although i wont be including anything novel related as it stands so the Alamtine Triangle is out, as is Ityak Ortheel.

I hope to hear more ideas soon, and i'll be adding some more of my own. I'm working on the lineages of Snowdown and Moray at the moment (Corwell, Norland, Oman's Isle, and Korinn Archipelago are done already).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2015 :  20:44:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting to flesh out Issue 9, doing each realm in its own article like a mix of the 3e campaign setting details of a nation crossed with the 2e write-ups of a city (so it includes Life and Society, Government, Military, Important Sites, Important History, Timeline, Religion, Plots and Rumours, Important NPCs, Important Organisations, Important Items).

Callidyrr is finished.

Moray is almost entirely done with a nearly full lineage. Come up with a druidic artefact, a nasty near invincible fomorian bad guy, a near civil war, and a few other things that I hope make Moray the rugged war like celtic area I'm trying to make it.

The Splintered Sword of Aidyn: This unassuming magical item appears as a mock wooden longsword not unlike those used by novices practicing swordplay, although this one looks like it was made by a child with no idea of balance or how a real sword is constructed.
It was made long ago by the druids of the Ring of Moray at the bequest of Queen Adayr for her husband King Caylean in 262 DR who’s family was plagued by near annual visits from a monstrous giant that later came to be known as the Scaerandaga and who was famed for killing the kings of the Kimball Dynasty. Hoping for a weapon of power, King Caylean was more than disappointed at the child’s toy he was gifted and he discarded it out of the window of Caer Moray.
Years later in 283 DR it was picked up by King Tormyd Kimball; who had grown tired of he and his kin being stalked by the Scaerandaga, he drew it against the Scaerandaga and became the first person on Moray to deal any damage against the monster when a splinter from the sword pricked its thick hide and drew a single drop of blood which was instantly absorbed into the wooden blade.
Two years later during the worst snow storms in Moray’s history, the Scaerandaga appeared once more and dragged the sickly King Aidyn out of his halls and off into the blizzard. The thin and weak king managed to wriggle free of the monster’s grip and armed only with the wooden sword he stood ready to fight the monster.
To his surprise the ice hardened blade cut the Scaerandaga deep, its blood flowed freely as the king leapt into battle with a flurry of blows only possible with such a light sword. Within moments the monster lay in a bloody and dismembered heap on the banks of Lac Moray and King Aidyn was victorious.
Years later the Splintered Sword of Aidyn was presumed to have been used in bringing about the death of Shannyth the River Queen, although none were able to witness or verify it because the only survivor of that encounter; King Tadhg Kimball, fled into the wilderness immediately afterwards never to be seen again.
The sword is a surprisingly effective weapon, deceptively so for its appearance. When first touched by a creature it draws a single drop of blood with a freshly formed splinter that can prick the thickest hide. The next time the blade is drawn against that foe it becomes the deadliest weapon against that singular enemy no matter its resistances or immunities.
Once the sword becomes attuned to a foe it becomes a +5 bane weapon against that individual but only after a period of 1d100 days after its initial encounter (and splintering).
It draws the blood into itself and as a result contains blood from the Kimball Dynasty as well as the Scaerandaga and Shannyth the River Queen. As such it is highly prized by those rare practitioners of Bloodline Magic.

The Scaerandaga: Down the centuries there have been repeated sightings of a lone twisted fomorian like creature of immense size in the wild places of Moray. Sages recall the name Scaerandaga as a monstrous fomorian creature that plagued the people of Moray in ages past and that either he survived the battle with King Aidyn or his descendants live to wreak havoc.
The most learned of sages surmise that this monstrous fomorian was actually a firbolg before it was twisted by the Touch of Kazgoroth and succumbed to the body morphing rage it induced. Furthermore this firbolg must have been related to the Titan Grond Peaksmasher who once ruled a firbolg empire in the Moonshaes and like the other Titans of legend may have sired children that would become the nobility of the empire. The death of its kin likely spurred this creature to pursue a vendetta against the Kimball Dynasty.
However there have never been any reports of the Scaerandaga attacking ffolk which lead to some to postulate that this being may be something else entirely.
Nymphomaniacs: The sprites and nymphs that flit up and down the Shannyth river valley have in recent decades become more and more malevolent, and instead of playing random pranks on unsuspecting ffolk they have turned to outright aggression when encountered.
Worse still the Ring of Moray has suspicions that these fey creatures are behind a rise in the frequency and targeting of humanoid attacks (particularly orcs) against ffolk living along the Breasal Marsh.
Could it be that Shannyth has returned to incite her children to battle against the ffolk that caused her insanity and death.

623 DR to 659 DR: The Usurper Wars: King Manays Kimball was taken captive by northmen in 582 DR. He spent many years with them and his strength of arms and skill in battle earned him a place among their society. When High King Embro II of Callidyrr arranged an alliance with the Konungr of Norland, he recognised King Manays among the honour guard and innocently asked that he be released from service to return home.
King Manays was welcomed home and the current King Corran Kimball (descended from Manays’ uncle) stepped aside to allow Manays to continue his reign.
However none of the Lairds of Moray recognised the northmen children of Manays as heirs to the throne and so were shocked when Manays named his son king on his deathbed. The usurper kings; as the northmen descendants of Manays were known, fled south to Cantrev Horst and occupied it with northmen mercenaries provided at cheap rates.
Gradually the usurper kings occupied more and more of Moray until the usurper King Beldred was at the gates of Caer Moray in 659 DR. It was then that the northmen of Norland played their hand and led their own invasion hoping to easily conquer the divided ffolk.
The two kings of Moray joined forces and beat back the northmen but at great cost in life to the ffolk and the royal family. Beldred was made the Laird of Horst and the descendants of House Beldred have ruled there ever since.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
574 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2015 :  12:35:53  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, I'm bit late to the party with this, but I discussed with sleyvas in [2e] Monster Mythology Update Project, that maybe the Stormstar, is part/shard of the Black Gem, that Talos used to get power over Auril/The Queen of Air and Darkness.
Getting to the point, I think that possibly the mirror that Talos used to fully corrupt, and take control of Deirdre Kendrick, could be designed by Talos as a sort of lesser version of Tharizdun's black gem. The mirror and black gem, worked pretty similary, when you think about it.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2015 :  12:50:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having not read the novels i didnt even know there was a mirror used to corrupt people.

I've removed the deific involvement from the Moonshaes almost completely and it is now entirely in the hands of cultists. I can use the idea of a corrupting mirror, but such a thing seems entirely against Talos' modus operandi which to me is all about chaos and destruction, not subterfuge and manipulation.

I like the idea of something being used to bring people under fey influence though (subtly so) and it might be useful in Snowdown which i am working on next. I'm thinking of linking it to Mal Sul and Landdrain in a particular way that results in angry fey.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
574 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2015 :  12:58:16  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Talos has shown the ability to plan to plan in advance. And after all, a terrorist that sneaks a bomb, or a psychopath who became an important military or political leader, by hiding his destructive, homicidal urges, will cause the greatest amount of destruction.

Also, Talos' avatar, that seduced, and corrupted Deirdre, Coss-Axell-Siniot, can be made into into just the cult leader for Talos. The mirror could be somehow made from another shard of the black gem, that was hidden on Moonshae isles, maybe by Leshay, so that it wouldn't corrupt anything more. The Talos cultist, could unearth it, and melt it down into the glass in the mirror.

Also, much info about Deirdre, is in the Villains Lorebook.

Edited by - Baltas on 30 Mar 2015 13:01:17
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2015 :  13:46:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, i like Coss-Axell-Siniot as a name, he can be a cultist of Talos. Havent got any of the Kendricks beyond Tristan though so that storyline can stay with the novels.

I'm definitely going to have the "mirror" in Snowdown, but its going to be more fey in origin (and not an actual mirror). I doubt it will have anything to do with Talos, but i might link it to a few extended slumbers in Callidyrr.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2015 :  19:49:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm thinking that in the distant past of Snowdown we have Lac Sule, Harleoch's Ridge and Mallandroven's Ridge (they correspond to Mal Sul, the mountain ridge near Harloch, and Andover Heights).

Each of these three landmarks are ruled by powerful fey that form a triumvirate of three rulers that own the island.

The King of Snowdown builds a road through the middle and slowly causes the draining of Lac Sul which flows down the valley into Harloch.

Cue the slow death of Sule (some kind of powerful water nymph/witch with the power to beguile). Then begins a war between the twin courts of Harleoch and Mallandroven and the people of Snowdown resulting in the death of Mallandroven at Maloren Sods.

I think the waters of Lac/Mal Sul can possess beguiling/far sight powers and perhaps I might have it stolen and put into a mirror of sorts for later.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2015 :  16:39:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few ideas for the early history of Snowdown.

- 214 DR: King Erwan Kincaid begins construction of the Snowdown Ride from Cantrev Eastphal to Cantrev Westphal.
- 224 DR Year of the Flaming Forests: Construction of the Snowdown Ride is completed, following the borders of Lac Sule and the Aition Forest (Modern: Andover Wood, the forested region east of Andover Heights).
- 229 DR Year of the Black Flame: Weaknesses in the valley wall containing Lac Sule (weaknesses caused by the building of the Snowdown Ride) rupture and cause the waters of the lake to trickle down the road causing the formation of a small body of water near modern day Harloch. The eastern half of Aition Forest begins flooding as its low land depression forms the body of water that becomes known as Harleogh’s Loch.
- 279 DR: The draining of Lac Sule is complete and in its place lies the much smaller bodies of water now known as Mal Sul and Mal Fearghal. Cantrev Eastphal begins to experience droughts of increasing severity now that Lac Sule is diminished and its streams flowing down past the settlement begin to dry
- 284 DR Year of Fallen Flagons: The King of Snowdown abandons Cantrev Eastphal as the streams feeding the settlement dry up and moves his capital to Cantrev Westphal. Cantrev Eastphal gradually becomes known as Cantrev Llandrain.
- 290 DR Year of the Full Cribs: Cantrev Andover and Cantrev Westphal suffer increasing disappearances.
- 309 DR Year of the Cascade: Cantrev Westphal finds increasing difficulty in gathering wood from the remains of Aition Forest as its loggers come under attack from vicious wildlife and murderous dryads in every tree. The loggers report the middle eastern half of the forest appears to be tearing itself apart as boar, cattle, and other wildlife; many of them escaped from ffolk farmers, are stripping the foliage bare while the trees appear to be strangling the animals with branches and roots and pulling them down into the sodden and rotting ground. The Ring of Snowdown is perplexed by the disturbance and all emissaries sent to the courts of Mallandowyr and Harleogh return battered and bloodied.
- 316 DR Year of the Vibrant Land: The ffolk of Snowdown outside the safety of the walls of its various cantrevs find themselves under siege by roaming bands of boar, cattle, sheep, and even rodents that attack all humans on sight in a murderous frenzy.
- The rotting trees of the eastern half of Aition Forest animate themselves and the rotting, half dead flora move closer day by day to human settlements. Those venturing beneath their boughs at night are found hanging from the branches in the morning.
- The King of Snowdown after consulting the Ring of Snowdown without success travels to Callidyrr seeking an audience with the wizard Flamsterd.
- 317 DR Year of the Riven Shield: Flamsterd divines the nature of the conflict spreading across Snowdown. The fey creature known as Sule has been driven mad by her displacement into Harleogh’s Loch, the absence of her guidance has caused the conflict between Mallandowyr and Harleogh to escalate wildly.
- 318 DR: Upon his return to Snowdown, the king calls for a man of valour to brave the dangers of Harleogh’s Loch, capture the Pixie Queen known as Sule and return her to her home in Mal Sul.
- 319 DR Year of the Unforgotten Fire: The Pixie Queen Sule is returned to Mal Sul and order is restored in Snowdown. In his honour the twin body of water north of Mal Sul is named Mal Fearghal. The
- 320 DR: Ffolk begin to settle in the recently cleared lands around modern day Cantrev Brannoch and Cantrev Pengram. The lands where cleared by large numbers of trees uprooting themselves and moving, as well as wildlife killing standing trees by stripping the bark bare, and finally by opportunistic ffolk that used the madness to increase logging activity while the fey were unable to coordinate a defence of the forest.
- 343 DR Year of the Fraying Binds: A number of bedraggled and sodden humanoid creatures emerge from the sea onto the coast around Brannoch, the monsters set about attacking anyone nearby and slay 13 people before the Laird and his men arrive to slay them. The remains are identified as belonging to the drathak; minions of Kazgoroth, and the bodies are dragged into the Aition Forest where they are dumped rather unceremoniously in a shallow grave.
- 344 DR Year of the Loom: One of the soldiers that attacked the drathak around Brannoch a few months earlier dies suddenly before reanimating as a drathak and slaying his Laird. His body is burned to ensure it does not reanimate or infect anyone else.
- 345 DR: The trees around Brannoch begin to turn black and diseased.
- 422 DR Year of the Murderous Mire: The decayed forest around Brannoch disgorges a number of rotting beasts that swarm the ffolk of Cantrev Brannoch spreading disease and death.
- 427 DR Year of the Violet Fungi: The being known as Harleogh is seen (and heard) wandering beneath the rotten boughs near Cantrev Brannoch. All venturing near the trees disappear never to be seen again.
- 435 DR Year of the Willing Sacrifice: Almost half of the remaining trees of Aition Forest (which by that time extended only as far south as Cantrev Westphal) uproot themselves and move across the plains of southern Snowdown; suspended on their roots acting as tiny feet, before surrounding the blackened forest near Cantrev Brannoch. Onlookers swear sighting the rotund Mallandowyr marching amid the trees.
- After only a few short weeks the newly planted trees blacken and rot before collapsing into the ground and forming a large peat bog.
- 440 DR Year of the Festering Heart: Zombified people, animals, even trees, being unearthing themselves from Mallandowyr Sods (Modern: Maloren Sods) and attacking Cantrev Westphal and Brannoch. These creatures are covered with a black fungi that infests all living creatures it comes in contact with, slaying and reanimating them within months.
- 443 DR Year of the Thousand Enemies: Seeking an end to the troubles the King of Snowdown and the Ring of Snowdown travel to Mal Sul to see if the Pixie Queen; Sule, can help end the troubles. Sule demands the lives of 214 children of the ffolk, 1 for each year of pain they have visited upon her.
- 451 DR Year of Unleashed Fears: With the number of reanimated dead increasing each year and the Black Cancor from Mallandowyr Sods now spreading to the walls of Cantrev Westphal, the King of Snowdown demands a ballot of children to be sacrificed. To increase compliance he enters the names of his own children into the ballot first.
- 452 DR Year of Rolling Heads: The chosen sacrifices march to the waters of Mal Sul where the Pixie Queen embraces each of them before walking with them into the depths of the lake. The King of Snowdown drowns in the open air as Sule curses him and his blood for fixing the ballot so that his own children would not be chosen and then takes his daughter into the waters with her.
- The waters of Mal Sul rise and pour down the hillside washing away the zombified creatures and the black mould that coats the land. Sule the Pixie Queen dies and is reborn.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Roseweave
Learned Scribe

Ireland
212 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  19:21:14  Show Profile  Visit Roseweave's Homepage  Send Roseweave an AOL message  Send Roseweave an ICQ Message Send Roseweave a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for more info on the Moonshae too.

Particularly I'm looking for info stuff that happened in 295, that mentions a Queen named Morgan. I was wondering if she was inspired by Morgan La Fey, who was mentioned in a dungeon magazine a while back.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2015 :  19:38:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well these are the only entries I could find relating to the Queen Morgan from GHoTR (I think).

289 DR Year of the Walking Dreams: High King Gwylloch has the skulls of his enemies fashioned into the Castle of Skulls. The High King then moves his court to the mighty palace hidden in the depths of Llyrath Forest. Gwylloch leads expeditions against the lands of the Northmen over the next several years. Captives were taken to High King's palace where they were slain in a grim arena called the Circus Bizarre.
295 DR Year of the Wrathful Revenant: Prince Ketheryll, son of High King Gwylloch, captures King Durnhal and Queen Morgan of Corwell and puts them to death for treason against the High King.
299 DR Year of the Vaasan Knot: High King Gwylloch, Prince Ketheryll, and all of their retainers slowly go mad. On the evening of the summer solstice, the inhabitants of the Castle of Skulls slaughter each other in a suicidal orgy of combat within the castle's gruesome walls. It is suspected that the mage Flamsterd was somehow involved in the High King's downfall.

They are all to do with a mad High King of the Ffolk called Gwylloch who I guess set his son on King Durnhal and Queen Morgan of Corwell and executed them for treason.

Other than that and the location of the Cauldron of Doom (made by Kazgoroth) located in the Castle of Skulls (see the Moonshae sourcebook) and then I found something in the realms L archive about Prince Ketheryll's ghost stalking the halls of the castle of skulls which is trapped in Ravenloft and only returns a few nights a year to Faerun.

I expanded on it a bit after reading the dynasties of Corwell and Callidyrr in GHoTR and deciding that the early ffolk peoples were really more of a tribal people and so the title of "king" was probably honorary and elective and therefore not hereditary which always leads to arguments.

I also linked the Cauldron of Doom to Gwylloch's madness and a dynastic dispute allowed him to declare himself king of Corwell while the clans of Corwell declared their own king. Gwylloch then sent his son after the usurper (in his eyes) king and queen of Corwell and had them killed.

Going by the picture in GHoTR and the history entries I didn't get the feeling of Morgan Le Fey. I suppose it could be a reverse role for Morgan since she is chased and executed by mad evil kings instead of Morgan Le Fey being mad and evil and trying to kill the king.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
574 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2015 :  09:28:02  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actualy, in the earliest literature, Morgan Le Fay actualy takes the wounded King Arthur, dead, or dying after the battle with Mordred, to Avalon, to heal/revive him.
Some later stories have her still doing this, as an act of finaly recoiling with Arthur.

Morgan Le Fay was originaly a faerie, Le Fay meaning literaly Of Faeries. Only later she became Arthur's half-sister. She's even described in early literature, as the most beautiful, elfen queen.

Some modern stories have her a changeling, or half-fey, to recoile her human and fey origins.

[EDIT]

What I exacly meant, is that Morgan Le Fay was originaly not an antagonist in the original stories, but actualy purely a benefactor to Arthur. Interesting how stories change, and evolve...

Edited by - Baltas on 10 Apr 2015 20:50:48
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  21:05:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally able to get back to this after a long break, thanks to a ridiculous work situation.

Finished off the royal dynasty of Snowdown. Added in a bit of fey blood that gave the later kings a sorcerous bent which ultimately led to their demise.

Wondering whether to link Thelgaar Ironhand to one of the behind the scenes manipulators - Lorador.

Grunnarch the Red is already one of her descendants, with a hint of fire giant blood from Jothun. Thelgaar Ironhand is a powerful person with great charisma and presence as well as skill in battle, if I were to link him to Lorador, I'm wondering what famous bloodline to link him to - perhaps Hugh, perhaps Silverhelm.

Since Lorador is a master of Bloodline magic she uses herself as kind of an incubation chamber to mix various bloodlines to try and create superbeings. I am thinking that people go to her to change their lives, she gives them a child and then at a later date takes her price.

Also added in a few bits for flavour about the northmen and ffolk. The northmen kingdoms have a council of thanes (taken from the giantish influence of Tuern and Jothun) that run the island (even when its not a kingdom) so the king can concentrate on raiding and other more kingly pursuits.

Each noble northmen lord has a unit of Skaldren that is a direct reflection of his power, riches, etc. These warriors are the elites, and it can be a double edged sword to have them because if you don't pay them enough there is every chance they will take your head.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2015 :  16:56:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Come up with a few different names for warriors and bits of land. Also blew up part of Jotunspine to form Canthrelloch.

Expanded the Korinn Archipelago a bit. Added in a Netherese herb onto the island of Jacaman that attunes consumers to the weave to heighten their spellcasting.

It is guarded by a fiend that guards the island since before human habitation of the Moonshaes and those that set foot on the island always end up as his slaves working the herb gardens until long after their death.

As to how a fiendish overseer and a netherese herb garden arrived in the Moonshae Isles, well thats down to a stray mention of a netherese enclave crashing in the korinn archipelago.

I only have it as a very small enclave, probably little more than a large tower that formed a 300 square metre island in the archipelago (probably by crashing into a very shallow bay).

All the major kingdoms/islands/regions are now mostly fleshed out with the exception of Dwarvenhome. I wonder if there is time to get some artwork from people before i release it in june

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  19:49:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm nearly finished with most of the hard work, just little things left like adding in more rumours and plots, removing bits with information overload and tying it into the adventure scenarios.

I don't suppose anyone fancies volunteering to proof read what I have so far (I would be ever so grateful, if so message me and I can email you the document.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4427 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  20:18:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I checked out deviantart to ask people if I can use their pictures and there is very little celtic art for scenes that resemble anything to do with the Moonshae Isles (most of them involve naked creatures from world of warcraft, and one was Harry Potty and Ginny Weasley quite bizarrely).

Turned Oman into a slave type nation but with a twist. After taking captives they then twist them to the northmen way of life by making them fight for food and status in the slave camps. Then after 20 years they release the captives and more than a few stay in Oman (subtly influenced by the taint on the island left by Kazgoroth).

Also made the residents of Jacaman work for the resident for eternity until a total of 66 workers are reached and then any new ones replace the old ones. Of course they can always end it themselves, in which case their souls belong to the devil who owns it (thanks to the pacts they signed with certain hags).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page