Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Moonshae
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
1422 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  15:35:17  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moonshae moorhoods are detailed in Races of Faerun, page 174.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  15:43:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i'm pretty sure i've gotten everything canon out there now (from sourcebooks anyway). Its all assembled into a nice word document and colour coordinated for the different edition information.

If anyone wants it just let me know.

I'm working on the alternate version now. Coming up with history is quite hard with so little to go on. I've used up all the events alluded to in other sources so all thats left is a hard slog of who did what, when, where, and why

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2014 :  19:35:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wanting to do something with Kazgoroth, something more than just the gods wake him up.

I'm wanting to have him be in charge of his own reappearance (with a bit of fate thrown in as well).

The Moonshae sourcebook and adventure mention a horn of Kazgoroth that compelled the possessor to throw it into a Moonwell so there is some support for this event.

I'm thinking of linking it to the Cauldron of Dhuum as well (and maybe his skin). So perhaps the possessor of the Cauldron of Dhuum is influenced over time by Kazgoroth, that's why Gwylloch went mad.

He was probably trying to find out about the other pieces of himself and bring them together. When Gwylloch resisted the result was pure insanity.

Perhaps when Cymbre and Amye use the Cauldron to excess and drain themselves of life completely it allows Kazgoroth to possess Amye's body for a time, Kazgoroth/Amye is then able to roam the isles and work mischief, manipulating events until the modern day when things start to come together and he can finally bring about his return.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
607 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  07:32:00  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting bits. Your version of Kazgoroth, reminds me bit of the Greek Typhon, who are both the strongest, reptillian children of Earthmothers, created to punish younger beings. Kazgoroth also reminds me of the "Tarasque de Noves" staue, a totemic staue made by the Gaul, either representing the warrior nature of the Celtic tribes, or victory of death over life. It could also be warning to other tribes.

Also, I would happily check out the word document you compiled about canon Moonshae stuff.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
366 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  08:12:39  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would also be very interested in seeing the word document.

I'm wondering what will happen next in the Moonshaes (moving from the 4e to 5e era) (if Brian R James has any plans for a follow-up to his Sarifal article, I'd be overjoyed).

In particular, if High Lady Ordalf knows that she's going to die, and has to be in Faerun to do so, what happens next? Does Karador sink beneath the waters of the Myrloch once more, and the fey return to the Feywild?
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  08:55:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So the Dark Moon organisation created by Omar MacDauphin i'm leaning towards them being some kind of lycanthrope. However instead of normal lycanthropy its with a twist.

So the family of Omar (and everyone in the castle) was shunted into the Plane of Faerie where they exist as humanoid like beings. They possess the ability to shift into the Material Plane in places were the boundaries between the two planes are weak (Moonwells being one).

On the Material Plane they take the form of dire wolves but on a lunar eclipse they can take the form of humans or wolf/human hybrids.

I'm going to have Omar's wife be the person in charge of the Dark Moon. It is unknown how they gain new members but in order to contract their services (as assassins) they require a newborn child to be given to them.

I'm thinking that Amye/Kazgoroth has an accident with one of them when she tries to submerge herself into a Moonwell and instead merges with a member of the Dark Moon becoming some kind of human dire wolf shape shifter.

She then uses the Dark Moon to manipulate the Northmen into declaring war on the Ffolk (she personally seduces Thelgar to get him to join) then deliberately leads half the Northmen fleet through the straits of Leviathan so that the great whale can destroy the fleet.

The Northmen and Ffolk batter each other while Kazgoroth heads towards the castle of skulls to get the Cauldron of Dhuum. The Horn of Kazgoroth is possessed by someone on Snowdown who is compelled to travel to Corwell where he is captured by the Northmen.

Kazgoroth then turns up with his army of drathak and firbolgs and the Pack, maybe Rendar the Bear and attacks both Northmen and Ffolk on his way to Myrloch Vale.

The skin of Kazgoroth meanwhile i havent thought about. Maybe it is in possession of the Risen Cult of Bane or the Cult of Bhaal.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  11:07:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A brief beginning of a writeup about the Dark Moon. And i have also figured out how to weave in Angus MacOdrum as well as the death of King Dolan.

Dark Moon
The Dark Moon began in 761 DR when Omar MacDauphin made a poorly worded wish using a ring of wishes acquired from a friend. Unbeknownst to Omar the ring was discovered by his friends in the ruins of a long abandoned Ffolk keep, the ruler of this keep had fallen in love with a fey creature and together they had a child. Unfortunately the fey creature grew to despise her human mate who kept her safe in his castle and so for his birthday she gave him a present; a ring of wishes.
None know what happened to the castle or its inhabitants but the castle is now abandoned and the ring was the only thing found inside with only two wishes left.
Omar MacDauphin used the ring to wish for safety and solitude from the endless Northmen raiders that struck the island he was charged with protecting (having purchased his title from High King Pendar Hugh in 740 DR after the King of Nomans Isle and much of the Moonshaes were ravaged by plague.)
The ring twisted his wish causing the castle and Omar Macdauphin to disappear; never to be seen again on Toril, the Northmen dragonships that were just about to beach themselves on the sandy bay could not believe their luck as the great stone fortress that had foiled their attacks for a century suddenly vanished.
Omar’s family and his retainers inside Caer Windlaur also vanished, but they did not go to the same place as Omar. They were shunted to the Plane of Faerie where they existed as a pack of shapeshifting wolf like creatures. Over the centuries they discovered they could return to the Moonshae Isles in places where the barriers between the Material Plane and the Faerie Plane were weak, places such as the Moonwells.
On the Material Plane they appeared as huge black dire wolves, and they soon became omens of death and despair. During a lunar eclipse however they regained their shapeshifting ability and could assume humanoid or wolf or a hybrid form as they desired.
The Dark Moon as they became known would take contracts from evil people, sometimes simply assassinations made to look like a wild animal attack (such as a wolf), sometimes they would erase entire villages in a screaming orgy of teeth and claws. No job was ever refused, and the payment was always the same; made in the form of newborn babies that were never seen again.
The head of the Dark Moon is none other than Shaella MacDauphin the wife of Omar MacDauphin. Her demands for a life of luxury drove Omar MacDauphin to purchase Caer Windlaur and the Kingship of Nomans Isle using a chest of riches he discovered in 732 DR in the Sea of Moonshae while pearl diving. Her demands for a quieter life then drove him to purchase and use the ring of wishes which cursed the MacDauphin clan with their current situation.
Shaella initially started out as a fairly benevolent matriarch struggling to survive in a strange fey world. She hated the Northmen whom she blamed for her current situation and in 826 DR; when they discovered the means to return to the Moonshaes, the first few centuries were spent plaguing the Northmen Isles and slaying any they could easily kill on Norland, Norheim, and particular Oman’s Isle.
While on the Plane of Faerie the Dark Moon never age, but upon returning to the Material Plane they age seven times faster than normal and have the lifespan of a wolf rather than a human. Consequently the forays onto the Material Plane are usually short lived.
Young members of the Dark Moon are left on the Material Plane for the first few years of their life until they reach maturity, often with a wolf pack or in the care of allies of the Dark Moon. Then they return to Faerie and are initiated into the Dark Moon properly.
Sometime in 1159 DR the form of Amye (who was possessed by Kazgoroth) attempted to travel to Myrloch Vale using a portal around Caer Corwell. He arrived at the same time and space as a member of the Dark Moon was attempting to travel from Faerie to the Material Plane. The unfortunate individual merged with Amye’s form and became a mix of human, reptile, and wolf.
Kazgoroth emerged in the Faerie Plane and insinuated himself quietly into the Dark Moon clan, rising gradually in status until he became Shaella’s second, a position that he now uses to his advantage to obtain contracts on the Material Plane that further his own goals.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  11:37:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And below is my entry for Angus MacOdrum. I figure Angus eventually gets closer and closer to the elves, moving beneath the waves and marrying into the group. The sahuagin finally discover his hiding place and this sparks a war between Kressilacc and Tir Faol Thoinn. Angus MacOdrum by this time is an accomplished wizard and warrior and leads the charge against the sahuagin. His death in battle against the sahuagin ends their feud with him and his children are either cursed by the sahuagin or blessed by the elves and become were seals.

I'm also thinking that the sahuagin of Kressilacc are responsible for King Dolan's death in his coracle, spying a chance for revenge that no one will realise was them (even if Angus is dead the Ffolk also killed sahuagin so a little payback may be in order).

- 747 DR Year of Stagnant Water: Beginning in this year sahuagin raiding parties in service of one of the princes of Kressilacc plague the coast of northern Alaron and Omar’s Isle searching for artefacts stolen from them several years earlier. A resident wizard in one of the cantrevs of northern Callidyrr destroys one such raiding party including the prince of Kressilacc. The nation of Kressilacc begins a campaign of terror against the wizard; named Angus MacOdrum. Angus flees across the Moonshaes for many years eventually becoming a hermit around Sirens Grotto in southern Gwynneth where he spends many years listening to the music of the elves of Tir Faol Thoinn.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  15:31:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a short story in one of the anthologies, about the 'beginning of the world' (the Moonshaes), and the Earthmother and her children. Since I don't own the physical books anymore I can't check that for you, but it was a pretty cool 'mythology story'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  15:48:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And since i dont own any novels i cant check it either.

It would be nice to get a few more ideas for her children though. I picked the bear and the shadow hunt out of the Moonshae sourcebook but it'd be nice to get more.

I keep coming back to the passage about the eater of magic monster being first spotted on the Moonshaes and i cant help but wonder if its not another of the Earthmother's children, created in response to rampant magic use on her surface (probably the events on Flamsterd Isle)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  16:49:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just been going through the Savage Frontier sourcebook for info and it is very interesting (not only in how much history of the realms today was obviously there from the very beginning, but also for expanding upon the Northmen.

According to the sourcebook the Northmen initially came from the south(?) before moving west to the isles and north to the rest of the Sword Coast.

It was the Northmen who fought back the orcs that destroyed Earlann which makes sense. One would presume this includes the mingling with the Uthgardt who took the fight inland because the Northmen primarily dwell on the Sword Coast.

The Northmen of the isles are not at all united or even necessarily friendly to one another. The Northmen of Tuern sail on dragonships large enough to hold a giant (and often do) so it backs up my idea for giants sailing with the northmen from Tuern (although the turning into frost giants is just my theory stolen from Markustay).

The Northmen do not value religion or magic users. They value only warriors and their ships. They value skill at arms highly and one would presume that women can also sail on these dragonships as raiders if they are good enough (they treat women well, but not as well as their dragonships).

At least it gives some definitive ideas for what directions to go in for the Northmen. The nations founded by Gundarlun and Tuern are likely to fight one another as they are the Ffolk and that probably explains how the Ffolk managed to survive until 467 DR when the Tethyrians brough the secret of stone fortifications with them.

Since the Northmen of Tuern travel with giants it is likely they also have a few magic items crafted by or in conjunction with the giants. Other magic items the Northmen have are likely to be stolen from or crafted by (under duress) dwarves, humands, or elves.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15711 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  16:54:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The story was called The First Moonwell, by Douglas Niles.

I read it in Best of the Realms I, and I have no idea where it appeared first.

You really should read the novels - they are loaded with lore that never appears in any source-books; I find a tremendous amount of geographic info in them.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Dec 2014 16:55:01
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  09:27:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Novel lore tends to be pertinent to the story being told. I'm primarily interested in the odd details like the Shadow Hunt mentioned in Halls of the High King, or the random mention of a bear said to be several centuries old, or other weird seemingly throwaway comments about ancient rumours and stories that can be developed more fully into something interesting (like Omar MacDauphin and the Dark Moon).

Plus the comments i have read about the Moonshae novels described the first one as "so bad i couldn't bring myself to read the other two".

What happens in the current is not so important as what happened in the past as that often provides justification for current events.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  12:05:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just when you think you have found all the lore something pops up and throws a spanner in the works.

I found this in The Magister under the entry about a sword called Taragarth "The Bloodbrand"

quote:
Aeroth, grieving for his lord (and none-too-fond of the sadistic, proud, Tulven Rayuthson), took ship west from Waterdeep, sailing first to the isle of Toaridge at-the-Sun’s-Setting and later to the Moonshae Isles. There, with his wife
and six sons, Aeroth founded the city of Vlan. His descendants, the nucleus of a group swelled by other disenchanted or dispossessed mainlanders, were to become the feuding merchant houses of the Moonshae Isles.

So i found Aeroth in GHoTR

quote:
952 DR Year of the Rings Royal: This year marks the end of the Second Trollwar as the Everlasting Ones are pushed back from the walls of Waterdeep. The human realms and holdings of the North unite under the leadership of Aeroth, War Captain and champion of Silverymoon [933, 972]; Ahghairon [1007] of Waterdeep; and Samular Caradoon of Tyr and clear the Evermoors of trolls. The wizard Renwick Caradoon, brother of Samular, dies in the final battles and is transformed into an archlich.

and Tulven

quote:
982 DR Year of the Scythe: Warlord Rayuth of Silverymoon [972, 990] dies of old age and is succeeded by his sadistic and proud son Tulven.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  12:28:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first curious thing about Aeroth was the mentioning of the feuding merchant houses of the Moonshae Isles.

I have found no other mention of merchant houses in the Moonshaes, feuding or otherwise.

In fact, the Moonshaes are not particularly known for their mercantile or trading efforts. I always pictured that what trade did exist was undertaken by enterprising individuals with their own caravans or coracles.

Now i have an idea revolving around waterdeep, a noble family, and a dragon.

So Aeroth is a famous champion of Silverymoon and war captain of the second troll war. So he is quite well known in Waterdeep and one would presume well respected.

In 982 DR he leaves Silverymoon for the Moonshaes. In 887 DR the northern part of Callidyrr was lost to the Northmen and in 944 DR the office of High King was dissolved and the Carrathal dynasty came to rule Callidyrr only.

What if Aeroth Silverhelm (i just made up the name to be something like Silverymoon) founded this previously unknown city of Vlun by taking it from the Northmen of Gnarhelm (the lands north of Callidyrr). Of course a city in the Moonshaes may only be a thousand people strong. So this great war captain of Waterdeep and Silverymoon arrives with his 6 sons and his loyal retainers and with permission from the king of Callidyrr gathers men to form an army and conquer some land from Gnarhelm.

At some point Vlun has to disappear because it no longer exists, and one would suspect that the Northmen attack it constantly to get their land back.

Throw into the mix another few lore strands. The dragon Nymmurh that started scrying upon the Silmerhelve family (notice the name similarity) of waterdeep around 1032 DR who strives to keep them good and true.

What if Aeroth dies of old age and his 6 sons become rulers of the city. I'm thinking that they have a falling out and begin fighting amongst themselves. Around 1024 DR one of them, named Raurlor leaves with his retinue for Waterdeep and gets involved in events there such as the war with Uruth Ukrypt - who better to lead the armies of Waterdeep to victory than grandson of one of the heroes of the second trollswar, Aghairon might have even appointed him personally. Following Raurlor's ignoble death in 1032 DR his family change their name to Silmerhelve to distance themselves from past transgressions.

I figure it can't be a coincidence about the date of Nymurrh's scrying beginning in that year (1032 DR) and Raurlor's death. If the Silmerhelves began on the Moonshaes they might attract the dragon's attentions especially if Aeroth was good, his sons squabbling brats, his grandson an evil tyrant. Its certainly unpredictable enough to garner Nymurrh's attention.

The other children of Aeroth head to the other kingdoms of the Moonshaes, or the mainland, or they kill each other, and so establish a few short lived merchant houses whose feuds bring them low in the end.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1953 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:02:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the most excellent Realm Bestiary Volume 1 penned by Scribes Boyd and Costa...

WEREDOG
These creatures resemble large dogs such as mastiffs, St. Bernard’s, or German shepherds. Weredogs appeared as a
canine counter to the werewolves. They are often good-aligned people whose personalities were so strong they managed
to alter the effects of the impending lycanthropy. Weredogs are sworn to destroy the more numerous and powerful
werewolves. Unfortunately, most people still have trouble telling weredogs and werewolves apart. Consequently, those
folks the weredog tries to help may be scared and turn against it.
In the Realms
Weredogs have begun to emerge in small numbers across the Realms. On the Moonshaes, weredog mastiffs appeared
several decades ago to battle the depredations of werewolves serving the goals of Malar the Beastlord. Nevertheless,
these lycanthropes are found openly only in Myrloch Vale.

Do we have any canonical accounts of these creatures? Non-canonical?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 12 Dec 2014 16:03:28
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:15:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of tying them into something i'm doing about Darkmoon. The dogs, after centuries on the Moonshaes become hypersensitive to all things fey.

As a result they can detect the Darkmoon assassins travelling through Faerie before they materialise in the Material Plane. Thereby making them a brilliant guard dog against fey assassins and terrorists.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1953 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:37:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, dazzlerdal. When you have more, please share I for one would be interested. Do their senses somehow extend into Faerie?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1953 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:45:55  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you using the Moonshae moorhound as their animal aspect?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1953 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:51:22  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this, <snip> Then he pulls his pack around in front of him, and takes out the battered journal written by a bard who spent time getting to know a couple of genial weredogs who made it their life pursuit to help those who contracted the curse against their will, and to fight those who would spread it by force. <snip> along with a few other brief mentions written by a scribe calling himself Laerrigan, who no longer seems active here. More's the pity I would liked to confer with him.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:51:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops, silly me, i didnt read the post properly and thought it was about the Moorhounds themselves.

I was going to make the moorhounds fey sensitive. Not so much that their senses extend into Faerie, but more like a tingling sensation, enough to make them bark whenever something moves nearby.

Of course that all depends on whether you follow the newer cosmologies that use the plane of faerie as a transitive plane and in opposition to the plane of shadow (something i like and use).

Hadnt thought about weremoorhounds, but i will have to think of a reason for it now. One that doesnt involve the gods as thats just another way of saying magic did it. I prefer to know exactly how and why - plus i've pretty much removed the darkwalker novels from my version of the moonshae so Malar and Bhaal arent quite so important now.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:52:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be doing Moonshae focused articles in the next issue of the Alternate Dimensions fan mag so they should be finished in about 3 months.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2014 :  12:16:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few events surrounding Aeroth Silverhelm. There wasnt much to go on so pretty much all of it is made up.

I found a writeup on a sea elf kingdom named Nindrol in Dragon 267 where the royal family have the ability to venture onto land for short periods of time (some human blood perhaps). So i mixed this in with Aeroth's arrival and later departure from Toaridge (around which Nindrol is located). Then used the Rockfire disaster as a reason for Aeroth's departure from Toaridge (after all dwarves can't move particularly fast, it was only several months since their departure from Dennin's Delve in the Moonshae that the dwarves encountered the eruption - and Underdark movement is slower than normal anyway).

As for the rest, i just felt like tying it in with Raurlor and Nymmurh as a bit of history to the man and the Silmerhelve noble family.

- 982 DR Year of the Scythe: Aeroth Silverhelm; champion of Silverymoon and former War Captain of Waterdeep, arrives from Waterdeep with his sons at Toaridge-at-the-Sun’s-Setting. There Aeroth falls in love with a sea elf princess of Nindrol.
- 987 DR Year of the Flaming Dwarf: The sea elf realms of the Moonshae suffer greatly when earthquakes rock the region and gouts of super heated steam erupt from the sea bed. Almost the entire royal family of Nindrol is killed by an erupting steam vent. Aeroth’s love, a second cousin to the now dead king is crowned Queen of Nindrol and a marriage is swiftly arranged.
- 989 DR Year of Dark Stalking: Aeroth Silverhelm, his six sons, and his ever growing band of dissidents and outcasts are forced to leave Toaridge-at-the-Sun’s-Setting by the king of Nindrol. Aeroth leads his group north to Callidyrr and approaches King Erfle Carrathal for permission to recruit an army on his lands to carve out a kingdom from Gnarhelm to the north.
- 990 DR Year of the Muster: Aeroth Silverhelm leads a host against Gnarhelm and succeeds in conquering the western half of Gnarhelm, he founds the city of Vlun (named after his lost love Verlunae) around Lake Vlun (now Lake Otta).
- 992 DR Year of the Watching Helm: Aeroth Silverhelm dies in his sleep and is succeeded by a council of six elders (Aeroth’s sons). Within 5 years, one son and his family leave to found the Silverhelm trading company based in Snowdown, one lies dead from an “accident”, one retreats into hiding in Corwell, and another is outcast and flees to the Korinn Archipelago. The final two Raurlor Silverhelm, and Toluth Silverhelm remain at loggerheads unless united by Northmen incursions.
- 1018 DR Year of the Dracorage: Nymmurh attacks settlements across Gnarhelm, including the city of Vlun.
- 1023 DR Year of the Pirates Trove: Gnarhelm, with aid from Northmen holdings in the Korinn Archipelago, mount an incursion into Vlun and conquer the kingdom. Raurlor and his household lead a fighting retreat across Vlun to the ports and then on to the mainland of Faerûn, rescuing many of the beleaguered peasants on the way. Toluth abandons Vlun early in the conflict and flees south to Callidyrr with his retinue.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2014 :  13:53:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Came up with an idea for the origin of werewolves and weredogs and an explanation for moorhounds.

888 DR Year of the Twelve Teeth: High King Byron II is attacked by a great black wolf which devours the kings guards in the Great Hall of Caer Callidyrr. King Byron II is saved only by a quick thinking paige-boy who snatched up the sword of Cymrych Hugh from its mounting above the throne and wounded the beast terribly, causing it to retreat. From this date onwards King Byron II is plagued by ill health and spends several days a month in seclusion due to the wounds suffered by the wolf attack.

The Grimmulf: The legends of the Moonshae Isles speak of a creature known as the Grimmulf (meaning fierce wolf) that is said to be the child of Kazgoroth. This huge black wolf has been noted at many points in history for tearing apart unlucky and usually high profile personages of the Moonshae Isles.
As a result the Grimmulf is associated with imminent and violent death, such that seeing a black wolf is likely to result in the spotter being shunned or even killed on the spot, lest he bring bad luck to all around him.

I'm leaning towards the sword of Cymrych Hugh being involved in the formation of the weredogs. I'm going along the lines of only a being of noble blood is able to touch the sword, however that doesnt mean they have to be related to house Cymrych, instead it means they must be virtuous and true, etc.

Not only that but touching the sword also purifies the wielder to a degree, imparting protection from evil in some manner. So when a former wielder of the sword is infected by lycanthropy the lingering effects of the sword keep him from turning to evil and so we have the first weredog.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
4617 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2014 :  16:47:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of for the campaign that Kazgoroth is working to promote warfare between the Ffolk and Northmen by eliminating strong kings of the Ffolk and weak lords of the Northmen.

Then while the humans are fighting each other he can do what he wants, get the pieces of himself and put them all together.

Meanwhile i think i shall work in the various churches of mainland gods that are also at odds with each other.
The Dark Gods (Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul, Talona, Loviatar), versus the Gods of Fury (Talos, Umberlee, Malar, Auril), versus Chauntea, versus the Earthmother.
Of course foreigners do not realise the Earthmother is a factor in the equation (because they think she is Chauntea) and so that can cause plenty of confusion.

Pehaps i can weave in that Hegarath the Storm Maiden (but without the tree), not sure if i should include Gotha as i cant really see a reason for his inclusion.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 16 Dec 2014 16:51:31