Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Moonshae
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  16:49:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just been going through the Savage Frontier sourcebook for info and it is very interesting (not only in how much history of the realms today was obviously there from the very beginning, but also for expanding upon the Northmen.

According to the sourcebook the Northmen initially came from the south(?) before moving west to the isles and north to the rest of the Sword Coast.

It was the Northmen who fought back the orcs that destroyed Earlann which makes sense. One would presume this includes the mingling with the Uthgardt who took the fight inland because the Northmen primarily dwell on the Sword Coast.

The Northmen of the isles are not at all united or even necessarily friendly to one another. The Northmen of Tuern sail on dragonships large enough to hold a giant (and often do) so it backs up my idea for giants sailing with the northmen from Tuern (although the turning into frost giants is just my theory stolen from Markustay).

The Northmen do not value religion or magic users. They value only warriors and their ships. They value skill at arms highly and one would presume that women can also sail on these dragonships as raiders if they are good enough (they treat women well, but not as well as their dragonships).

At least it gives some definitive ideas for what directions to go in for the Northmen. The nations founded by Gundarlun and Tuern are likely to fight one another as they are the Ffolk and that probably explains how the Ffolk managed to survive until 467 DR when the Tethyrians brough the secret of stone fortifications with them.

Since the Northmen of Tuern travel with giants it is likely they also have a few magic items crafted by or in conjunction with the giants. Other magic items the Northmen have are likely to be stolen from or crafted by (under duress) dwarves, humands, or elves.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2014 :  16:54:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The story was called The First Moonwell, by Douglas Niles.

I read it in Best of the Realms I, and I have no idea where it appeared first.

You really should read the novels - they are loaded with lore that never appears in any source-books; I find a tremendous amount of geographic info in them.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Dec 2014 16:55:01
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2014 :  09:27:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Novel lore tends to be pertinent to the story being told. I'm primarily interested in the odd details like the Shadow Hunt mentioned in Halls of the High King, or the random mention of a bear said to be several centuries old, or other weird seemingly throwaway comments about ancient rumours and stories that can be developed more fully into something interesting (like Omar MacDauphin and the Dark Moon).

Plus the comments i have read about the Moonshae novels described the first one as "so bad i couldn't bring myself to read the other two".

What happens in the current is not so important as what happened in the past as that often provides justification for current events.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  12:05:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just when you think you have found all the lore something pops up and throws a spanner in the works.

I found this in The Magister under the entry about a sword called Taragarth "The Bloodbrand"

quote:
Aeroth, grieving for his lord (and none-too-fond of the sadistic, proud, Tulven Rayuthson), took ship west from Waterdeep, sailing first to the isle of Toaridge at-the-Sun’s-Setting and later to the Moonshae Isles. There, with his wife
and six sons, Aeroth founded the city of Vlan. His descendants, the nucleus of a group swelled by other disenchanted or dispossessed mainlanders, were to become the feuding merchant houses of the Moonshae Isles.

So i found Aeroth in GHoTR

quote:
952 DR Year of the Rings Royal: This year marks the end of the Second Trollwar as the Everlasting Ones are pushed back from the walls of Waterdeep. The human realms and holdings of the North unite under the leadership of Aeroth, War Captain and champion of Silverymoon [933, 972]; Ahghairon [1007] of Waterdeep; and Samular Caradoon of Tyr and clear the Evermoors of trolls. The wizard Renwick Caradoon, brother of Samular, dies in the final battles and is transformed into an archlich.

and Tulven

quote:
982 DR Year of the Scythe: Warlord Rayuth of Silverymoon [972, 990] dies of old age and is succeeded by his sadistic and proud son Tulven.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  12:28:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first curious thing about Aeroth was the mentioning of the feuding merchant houses of the Moonshae Isles.

I have found no other mention of merchant houses in the Moonshaes, feuding or otherwise.

In fact, the Moonshaes are not particularly known for their mercantile or trading efforts. I always pictured that what trade did exist was undertaken by enterprising individuals with their own caravans or coracles.

Now i have an idea revolving around waterdeep, a noble family, and a dragon.

So Aeroth is a famous champion of Silverymoon and war captain of the second troll war. So he is quite well known in Waterdeep and one would presume well respected.

In 982 DR he leaves Silverymoon for the Moonshaes. In 887 DR the northern part of Callidyrr was lost to the Northmen and in 944 DR the office of High King was dissolved and the Carrathal dynasty came to rule Callidyrr only.

What if Aeroth Silverhelm (i just made up the name to be something like Silverymoon) founded this previously unknown city of Vlun by taking it from the Northmen of Gnarhelm (the lands north of Callidyrr). Of course a city in the Moonshaes may only be a thousand people strong. So this great war captain of Waterdeep and Silverymoon arrives with his 6 sons and his loyal retainers and with permission from the king of Callidyrr gathers men to form an army and conquer some land from Gnarhelm.

At some point Vlun has to disappear because it no longer exists, and one would suspect that the Northmen attack it constantly to get their land back.

Throw into the mix another few lore strands. The dragon Nymmurh that started scrying upon the Silmerhelve family (notice the name similarity) of waterdeep around 1032 DR who strives to keep them good and true.

What if Aeroth dies of old age and his 6 sons become rulers of the city. I'm thinking that they have a falling out and begin fighting amongst themselves. Around 1024 DR one of them, named Raurlor leaves with his retinue for Waterdeep and gets involved in events there such as the war with Uruth Ukrypt - who better to lead the armies of Waterdeep to victory than grandson of one of the heroes of the second trollswar, Aghairon might have even appointed him personally. Following Raurlor's ignoble death in 1032 DR his family change their name to Silmerhelve to distance themselves from past transgressions.

I figure it can't be a coincidence about the date of Nymurrh's scrying beginning in that year (1032 DR) and Raurlor's death. If the Silmerhelves began on the Moonshaes they might attract the dragon's attentions especially if Aeroth was good, his sons squabbling brats, his grandson an evil tyrant. Its certainly unpredictable enough to garner Nymurrh's attention.

The other children of Aeroth head to the other kingdoms of the Moonshaes, or the mainland, or they kill each other, and so establish a few short lived merchant houses whose feuds bring them low in the end.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:02:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From the most excellent Realm Bestiary Volume 1 penned by Scribes Boyd and Costa...

WEREDOG
These creatures resemble large dogs such as mastiffs, St. Bernard’s, or German shepherds. Weredogs appeared as a
canine counter to the werewolves. They are often good-aligned people whose personalities were so strong they managed
to alter the effects of the impending lycanthropy. Weredogs are sworn to destroy the more numerous and powerful
werewolves. Unfortunately, most people still have trouble telling weredogs and werewolves apart. Consequently, those
folks the weredog tries to help may be scared and turn against it.
In the Realms
Weredogs have begun to emerge in small numbers across the Realms. On the Moonshaes, weredog mastiffs appeared
several decades ago to battle the depredations of werewolves serving the goals of Malar the Beastlord. Nevertheless,
these lycanthropes are found openly only in Myrloch Vale.

Do we have any canonical accounts of these creatures? Non-canonical?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 12 Dec 2014 16:03:28
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:15:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of tying them into something i'm doing about Darkmoon. The dogs, after centuries on the Moonshaes become hypersensitive to all things fey.

As a result they can detect the Darkmoon assassins travelling through Faerie before they materialise in the Material Plane. Thereby making them a brilliant guard dog against fey assassins and terrorists.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:37:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, dazzlerdal. When you have more, please share I for one would be interested. Do their senses somehow extend into Faerie?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:45:55  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you using the Moonshae moorhound as their animal aspect?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:51:22  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this, <snip> Then he pulls his pack around in front of him, and takes out the battered journal written by a bard who spent time getting to know a couple of genial weredogs who made it their life pursuit to help those who contracted the curse against their will, and to fight those who would spread it by force. <snip> along with a few other brief mentions written by a scribe calling himself Laerrigan, who no longer seems active here. More's the pity I would liked to confer with him.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:51:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops, silly me, i didnt read the post properly and thought it was about the Moorhounds themselves.

I was going to make the moorhounds fey sensitive. Not so much that their senses extend into Faerie, but more like a tingling sensation, enough to make them bark whenever something moves nearby.

Of course that all depends on whether you follow the newer cosmologies that use the plane of faerie as a transitive plane and in opposition to the plane of shadow (something i like and use).

Hadnt thought about weremoorhounds, but i will have to think of a reason for it now. One that doesnt involve the gods as thats just another way of saying magic did it. I prefer to know exactly how and why - plus i've pretty much removed the darkwalker novels from my version of the moonshae so Malar and Bhaal arent quite so important now.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2014 :  16:52:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be doing Moonshae focused articles in the next issue of the Alternate Dimensions fan mag so they should be finished in about 3 months.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2014 :  12:16:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few events surrounding Aeroth Silverhelm. There wasnt much to go on so pretty much all of it is made up.

I found a writeup on a sea elf kingdom named Nindrol in Dragon 267 where the royal family have the ability to venture onto land for short periods of time (some human blood perhaps). So i mixed this in with Aeroth's arrival and later departure from Toaridge (around which Nindrol is located). Then used the Rockfire disaster as a reason for Aeroth's departure from Toaridge (after all dwarves can't move particularly fast, it was only several months since their departure from Dennin's Delve in the Moonshae that the dwarves encountered the eruption - and Underdark movement is slower than normal anyway).

As for the rest, i just felt like tying it in with Raurlor and Nymmurh as a bit of history to the man and the Silmerhelve noble family.

- 982 DR Year of the Scythe: Aeroth Silverhelm; champion of Silverymoon and former War Captain of Waterdeep, arrives from Waterdeep with his sons at Toaridge-at-the-Sun’s-Setting. There Aeroth falls in love with a sea elf princess of Nindrol.
- 987 DR Year of the Flaming Dwarf: The sea elf realms of the Moonshae suffer greatly when earthquakes rock the region and gouts of super heated steam erupt from the sea bed. Almost the entire royal family of Nindrol is killed by an erupting steam vent. Aeroth’s love, a second cousin to the now dead king is crowned Queen of Nindrol and a marriage is swiftly arranged.
- 989 DR Year of Dark Stalking: Aeroth Silverhelm, his six sons, and his ever growing band of dissidents and outcasts are forced to leave Toaridge-at-the-Sun’s-Setting by the king of Nindrol. Aeroth leads his group north to Callidyrr and approaches King Erfle Carrathal for permission to recruit an army on his lands to carve out a kingdom from Gnarhelm to the north.
- 990 DR Year of the Muster: Aeroth Silverhelm leads a host against Gnarhelm and succeeds in conquering the western half of Gnarhelm, he founds the city of Vlun (named after his lost love Verlunae) around Lake Vlun (now Lake Otta).
- 992 DR Year of the Watching Helm: Aeroth Silverhelm dies in his sleep and is succeeded by a council of six elders (Aeroth’s sons). Within 5 years, one son and his family leave to found the Silverhelm trading company based in Snowdown, one lies dead from an “accident”, one retreats into hiding in Corwell, and another is outcast and flees to the Korinn Archipelago. The final two Raurlor Silverhelm, and Toluth Silverhelm remain at loggerheads unless united by Northmen incursions.
- 1018 DR Year of the Dracorage: Nymmurh attacks settlements across Gnarhelm, including the city of Vlun.
- 1023 DR Year of the Pirates Trove: Gnarhelm, with aid from Northmen holdings in the Korinn Archipelago, mount an incursion into Vlun and conquer the kingdom. Raurlor and his household lead a fighting retreat across Vlun to the ports and then on to the mainland of Faerûn, rescuing many of the beleaguered peasants on the way. Toluth abandons Vlun early in the conflict and flees south to Callidyrr with his retinue.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2014 :  13:53:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Came up with an idea for the origin of werewolves and weredogs and an explanation for moorhounds.

888 DR Year of the Twelve Teeth: High King Byron II is attacked by a great black wolf which devours the kings guards in the Great Hall of Caer Callidyrr. King Byron II is saved only by a quick thinking paige-boy who snatched up the sword of Cymrych Hugh from its mounting above the throne and wounded the beast terribly, causing it to retreat. From this date onwards King Byron II is plagued by ill health and spends several days a month in seclusion due to the wounds suffered by the wolf attack.

The Grimmulf: The legends of the Moonshae Isles speak of a creature known as the Grimmulf (meaning fierce wolf) that is said to be the child of Kazgoroth. This huge black wolf has been noted at many points in history for tearing apart unlucky and usually high profile personages of the Moonshae Isles.
As a result the Grimmulf is associated with imminent and violent death, such that seeing a black wolf is likely to result in the spotter being shunned or even killed on the spot, lest he bring bad luck to all around him.

I'm leaning towards the sword of Cymrych Hugh being involved in the formation of the weredogs. I'm going along the lines of only a being of noble blood is able to touch the sword, however that doesnt mean they have to be related to house Cymrych, instead it means they must be virtuous and true, etc.

Not only that but touching the sword also purifies the wielder to a degree, imparting protection from evil in some manner. So when a former wielder of the sword is infected by lycanthropy the lingering effects of the sword keep him from turning to evil and so we have the first weredog.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2014 :  16:47:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking of for the campaign that Kazgoroth is working to promote warfare between the Ffolk and Northmen by eliminating strong kings of the Ffolk and weak lords of the Northmen.

Then while the humans are fighting each other he can do what he wants, get the pieces of himself and put them all together.

Meanwhile i think i shall work in the various churches of mainland gods that are also at odds with each other.
The Dark Gods (Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul, Talona, Loviatar), versus the Gods of Fury (Talos, Umberlee, Malar, Auril), versus Chauntea, versus the Earthmother.
Of course foreigners do not realise the Earthmother is a factor in the equation (because they think she is Chauntea) and so that can cause plenty of confusion.

Pehaps i can weave in that Hegarath the Storm Maiden (but without the tree), not sure if i should include Gotha as i cant really see a reason for his inclusion.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 16 Dec 2014 16:51:31
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2014 :  09:35:06  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Decided on how i envisage the political structure of the Moonshaes to work.

I've used a bit of real world names to give flavour, but the structure of the Ffolk is what i can infer from the sourcebooks rather than anything taken from celtic or norse history.

So for King Bryon of Corwell's death, the rule was contested because Tristan was under age. So the Council of Lairds of Corwell would have been called to decide who would be King. They could not reach a majority vote (i.e. 50% or more voting for one candidate) and so the decision was referred to the office of the High King which traditionally is the ruler of Callidyrr.

This is probably one of the novel events i will keep.

I had to create the title of Earl since one of them is mentioned in 1365 DR even though all previous mentions of nobility were lords.

Ffolk: The political structure of the Ffolk is a mix of tribal and monarchic systems. At the bottom of the structure is the Laird, a landowner of a small keep known as a Gorwyr. The Laird rules over the nearby Cantrev (or town) and is responsible for enforcing justice and keeping the peace, as well as forming a muster when commanded by the king.
A Laird that is granted control over several Cantrevs is given the title Morowaer (or Earl). These titles are given out infrequently because of the instability of rule in the Moonshaes. As the most powerful of nobility, the Morowaer are the most likely to lead revolts against the king.
The Kings of the Moonshae kingdoms each rule a small island kingdom with the backing of the Lairds from their castle (or Caer). The succession law is a mix of primogenitor and elective. What this means in practice is if there is a direct line of succession from father to child (males first) then the crown passes without problem. If the succession is not direct or is in dispute (because of rumours of infidelity perhaps, or an infant king), then the Council of Lairds take a vote for who will be the next king from the family line of the previous king (if no family line exists – which has not happened yet – then they vote from among their number).
If the Council of Lairds cannot reach a majority vote then the office of king returns to the High King of the Moonshaes who will then appoint the next king.
The Council of Lairds is a leftover from the migration of minor nobility of Ebenfar to the Moonshaes. The Lords of Ebenfar were little more than landed gentry in their homeland, usually owning a single manorial estate which contained their household. Fleeing to the Moonshaes the various households set up small settlements on the islands (which became the Cantrevs of today) and the Lords suddenly became rulers of their own tiny kingdoms. In the early years the Lairds met in council to decide matters that affected them all, but were otherwise free to govern themselves.
Gwynneth was the first island to form a kingdom as a single Laird united the individual Lairds into the kingdom of Corwell.
When High King Cymrych Hugh was crowned king of Callidyrr and Corwell, he brought about the first true monarchy, and passed the title to his son, this tradition spread throughout the other kingdoms of the Moonshaes and has resulted in the system of government in place today.

Northmen: The political structure of the Northmen is much more primeval than the Ffolk. Jarls (or Lords) rule over as much land as they can grasp for themselves. Upon passing, a Jarl’s land is divided amongst his sons (children born of concubinage are given a lesser priority).
Once a Jarl conquers a neighbouring Jarldom he can declare himself Konungr, a title that then passes to his eldest son, but the individual jarldoms and settlements are still divided amongst his other sons so it is possible the next Konungr directly owns the same amount of land as his brothers even though he is considered the liege lord of all Jarls in his kingdom (a precarious situation indeed). Typically a Jarl only declares himself Konungr once he rules over all the land on an island (or chain of islands). Should a Konungr lose ownership of part of the land within his island kingdom then the title of Konungr is lost upon his passing.
There is no council of lords or consultation between the Jarls of the Northmen. A Jarl rules only so long as he is able and he keeps his subjects happy (usually by successful raiding). Should a Jarl be deemed weak by his men then his rule will not be long. It is not unknown for the title of Jarl to be taken by force by a particularly strong shield-bearer (man-at-arms) who is not related to him, although usually the usurper is the Jarl’s son or another relative.
The positions of Konungr is just as precarious as a Jarl. A Konungr may not have to worry about being overthrown by his bodyguards, but the Jarls under his rule are always looking to take the office of Konungr for themselves. If a Konungr proves to be ineffective (usually by losing battles), even if it was his Jarl that fought the battle for him, then it is very likely he will need to fend off his Jarls and their men to keep his crown.
However a Konungr that is strong and successful in battle can call his Jarls to bring their men to any battle he wishes, and it is possible that the shield-bearers of a Jarl may be more loyal to the Konungr.
Northmen politics are bloody, brutal, and quickly resolved, making powerful enemies usually makes the offender die very violently and suddenly, unless he has enough men and skill to match his enemy.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2014 :  09:38:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at the Great Bards now.

There are supposedly only ever 3, and they carry the 3 great musical instruments of the Moonshaes.

Now i'm going to make the Lost Harp of Belshareen one of those intruments.

I'm pretty sure i read of another magical instrument linked to the Moonshaes (maybe a lute or a lyre) but i cant remember where i saw it, anyone by some miracle know what i might be thinking of?

The only reason i can think of for bards having such an important position within Moonshae society is if it has something to do with combatting a great evil.

Synnoria is full of music and i'm thinking that music makes Kazgoroth uncomfortable and perhaps weakens him. There could be 3 musical instruments originally, and perhaps Kazgoroth smashed one of them. The Lost Harp of Belshareen is the replacement.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2014 :  11:29:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A small attempt at explaining the mystery of Highpeak

- 218 DR Year of the Dancing Lights: The settlement of Horst on Moray is sacked by a firbolg from the nearby Orcskull Mountains who carries off King Dyllan Kimball’s aunt. Her four sons and men-at-arms sent by the king, track the giant to its lair; a broken dwarfhold, and slay the beast. In the mines they discover a malfunctioning portal that deposits them and their men-at-arms on mainland Faerûn. The four sons become embroiled in war along the Delimbiyr Valley. After many years only one son remains to return home, his ship is lost in ice during an early and harsh winter. Their mother spends the rest of her days haunting the dwarf hold awaiting their return.
- 1235 DR Year of the Black Horde: A marauding group of orcs some 50 strong appear inside the mines of a long abandoned and ruined dwarf hold in the Orcskull Mountains (which is later named for them) through a malfunctioning portal.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2014 :  11:40:22  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to the moonshaes after Christmas. Im thinking of giving caravans an essential role.

Being a small set of island communities im picturing a poor road network, mostly small trails. There is no standing army beyond the men at arms hired by the local lord to protect himself and enforce rule.

As a result much of the moonshaes is still really wild. Travelling in small numbers is guaranteed to result in a wolf or bear attack. So travel between communities is limited except for the caravan companies that move from settlement to settlement trading goods.

Rival caravans can play nasty tricks on each other as well (like the blurb about the blood drinker said).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2014 :  16:15:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So somewhere between 1120 DR and 1220 DR, I'm thinking of a small scale trade war (small scale for everywhere else but a large scale trade war for the Moonshaes), as the sons of the Silverhelm house spread out across the Moonshaes and take over the various caravans of the islands, then begin to encroach on each other's territory.

One of them can resort to importing monsters from the mainland and into the other caravan's territory and that could explain how trolls get onto the islands.

It should all end with the winner (survivor) being exiled, and im wondering if I can link it to Viledal the Sea King somehow (he wants to establish order in the Korinn Archipelago so that he can establish his trading empire once again - unfortunately the pirates get him - a final revenge from the loser).

I also want to do something with Dragonhome. With a name like that it is far too tempting to not develop.

So I'm thinking of a breeding colony of white dragons that plague the northmen of the Korinn Archipelago from -64 DR onwards until 256 DR when the northmen arrive in Norheim (it explains why the Northmen of the Korinn Archipelago do not expand as they expend much of their resources fighting the dragons).

The dragons can all be juveniles sent to keep the northmen away from the island (by the mother). When the Northmen finally get to the island and slay the juvenile dragons they incur the wrath of the mother who destroys much of Norheim.

Maybe after the Northmen finally kill the mother dragon, the Ffolk attack the weakened Northmen under High King Gwylloch.

Perhaps there is a certain dragon around today (of great wyrm age) that is from the particular brood of dragons from Dragonhome, and keeps a number of vassal dragons on the island today to keep her mother's restored lair/hoard safe and wreak periodic revenge upon the Northmen

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2014 :  23:23:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of Ed's "Wyrms" articles makes a reference to a red wyrm that plagues the Ffolk of the Moonshaes. Don't have my sources with me atm, but a diligent search on your part will turn up the reference.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2014 :  08:28:18  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given the location I would say it is hoondarrh (plus I already read his article to get info on skaudaurak. The problem is both wyrms sleep for centuries (possibly because of the ongild) and so can only have a meaningful impact once but I may well use hoondarrh sometime after the 10th century.

I got the idea for dragonhome from arveiturace's article andv a possible origin for caer callidyrr from nymmuurhs article. Great stuff in those wyrms of the north articles.

Thanks for the pointer. Onto the cult of the dragon next and some more work on kazgoroth

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2014 :  10:02:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, check out the write-up of Gaulauntyr "the Glorytongue".

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2014 :  10:40:27  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh I missed one. I'll read that first thing tonight. Cheers George

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2014 :  20:50:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting find.

So Gaulauntyr is in possession of the draconic artefact known as Jharakkan's Talon.

Jharakkan could have been from anywhere but the talon turned up 60 years ago on the skeleton of a drowned dragon which may have belonged to the dragon known as Ualintharghar the Devouring Flame.

Gaulauntyr's article also tells of an exploit where he robbed a noble lady before escaping in the guise of a red dragon with a certain and recognisable wizard riding high on its back in a saddle so the crime would be blamed on someone else.

Now why would Gaulauntyr choose a red dragon of all people to imitate with an illusion (linked to the previous owner of Jharakkan's Talon perhaps). Who was the certain and recognisable mage. Meltharond Thone perhaps (who was known for riding Arveiturace and died in 1326 DR I believe which is about 60 years ago so people might still have thought he was alive).

Perhaps Gaulauntyr was attempting to steal the talon from a noble lady's manor in Callidyrr and was masquerading as Ualintharghar (I doubt anyone could identify the dragon from a skeleton very quickly so it might have been a few years before some sage identified the remains).

So who killed the dragon Ualintharghar and when. He appears to have been a source of tales among the Ffolk, so he may have been responsible for attacks on settlements or maybe for spectacular battles with other dragons over the Moonshaes. I wonder if he didn't try to fight Nymmurh (whose lair is nearby) by attacking the Pit (a lair with impressive anti dragon protections) and ended up deep beneath the waters thanks to Nymurrh's portal magic (and drowned).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2014 :  21:57:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had some ideas on Kazgoroth and his origins and form.

I'm thinking that Kazgoroth was something akin to a force of nature - rage. Some kind of bestial flesh warping monstrosity (think Slaine) that just grew stronger with every fight.

So the Le-Shay taught the elves how to use the Moonwells and they used the Earthmother's own magic to bind Kazgoroth (-2000 DR). They turned him into a small lizard creature (which would be practically inert in the cold weather) and bound him to Nomans Isle (the human translation of elvish for "let no man on this island").

After 2000 years the elves forgot what they were guarding against and relinquished the duty of warden to the humans (then retreated to Synnorria).

The lapse of the weave in -339 DR also weakened the bindings on Kazgoroth allowing him to slowly increase in power.

When the humans landed on Nomans Isle, Kazgoroth slew them and fled to Gwynneth where he had the cauldron of Dhuum created and began his second war for the Moonshaes (201 DR). By this time he was a huge T-Rex type creature.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2014 :  11:17:48  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An early attempt at sorting out some early history of the Northmen

- 260 DR Year of the Sunless Stones: After a few years respite the Northmen of the Korinn Archipelago and the newly arrived Northmen of Greygruun suffer another attack from a flight of white dragons. Jarl Ingvurt Graskson personally slays one of the beasts and the other 3 retreat home after carrying off a dragonships filled with frozen Northmen.
Jarl Graskson orders the capturing of Ffolk smiths to fashion weapons of war to fight the dragon menace. The Northmen begin a pattern of raiding the Ffolk for anything they might need.
- 263 DR: The Northmen of Greygruun fortify their island homes with large mounted crossbow platforms to beat off the attacking dragons. Subsequent dragon attacks rapidly reduce in frequency as several dragons are killed during each raid.
- 270 DR Year of the Unheeded Warning: The largest flight of dragons, numbering 20 or more, assaults the isle of Greygruun. The starving and dishevelled beasts are eventually dispatched by the Northmen and their crossbow towers, with none leaving the shores of Greygruun alive.
- 271 DR: The old white dragon Auramathralis emerges from Dragonhome searching for the slayers of her children. Her terrible breath weapon freezes almost the entire island and everyone on it. Sigurd Ingvurson leads the 7 remaining dragonships west where they meet up with Jarl Snorri Svalvart in the northern reaches of Norland.
- 275 DR Year of the Wrath Sword: The Northmen of Norland and giants of the Jotunhammer Mountains with extra dragonships from Tuern succeed in taking land east and west of Jotunhammer Gap. In return for the aid provided by Sigurd Ingvurson, a number of fire giants travel with Sigurd back to Greygruun. On the island of Llorgh, the giants fashion the Axe “Moltenheart” in the volcanic depths of Surtr’s Maw.
- 285 DR Year of Wasteful Pride: Jarl Sigurd Ingvurson and 30 of his strongest warriors locate the lair of Auramathralis; on the isle of Dragonhome, while she is sleeping off her latest exertion. Using the ballistae recovered from Greygruun the warriors pin the mighty dragon’s wings to the cavern walls using steel bolts with ropes attached that are fired through her unfurling wings and then hammered into the walls with great hammers. Jarl Sigurd Ingvurson himself manages to hack off one of her wings with his mighty axe as “Aura” slays a score of his warriors using her breath weapon. The injured dragon and Sigurd come face to face as the pair are surrounded by his remaining warriors. “Aura finally lay dead as Sigurd severed her neck and he emerged the only survivor from Dragonhome with a horde of riches.
- 287 DR: Callidyrr under High King Carrig launch an attack against the Northmen of Norheim. The result is a stalemate as both High King Carrig and Jarl Sigurd “The Axe” Ingvurson are slain during the fighting (although the Northmen lose proportionally more of their men).
- 288 DR Year of the Xorn’s Yearning: High King Gwylloch returns to Norheim to claim his revenge against the Northmen. Despite reinforcements from Norland, the Northmen are unable to stop the Ffolk from burning the settlement of Greystaad to the ground. The surviving Northmen spread out across the island chain, including landing on the firbolg infested Norheim island itself.
- High King Gwylloch recovers the Cauldron of Dhuum from the halls of Greystaad and takes it back to Callidyrr with him.
- 289 DR Year of the Walking Dreams: High King Gwylloch has the skulls of his enemies fashioned into the Castle of Skulls. The High King then moves his court to the mighty palace hidden in the depths of Llyrath Forest. Gwylloch leads expeditions against the lands of the Northmen over the next several years. Captives were taken to High King's palace where they were slain in a grim arena called the Circus Bizarre.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2014 :  15:42:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added in a Moonshae Trade War from 1118 DR to 1151 DR involving the scions of Aeroth Silverhelm, the Silverhelm Trading Company, the Two Silvers Traders, and Lorndin Shipping.

It culminates in the elimination of the Silverhelm families as one hires the Darkmoon to assassinate their rivals and the other has trolls (in small body parts) smuggled into the wine cellar of the other.

I also used the trading enterprises as a reason for King Bayle's attack upon Jannath's Tears in 1052 DR

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2014 :  08:48:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some ideas to do with the Moonshae Trade Wars (referenced in a single paragraph about Taragarth in The Magister sourcebook).

It should be noted that since Aeroth Silverhelm came from Silverymoon i am thinking he had elven blood in him (at least a small portion) giving him and his sons longer life than normal, although they werent half elves, maybe a quarter elves or an eight elves.

Silverhelm Trading Company: Founded in 994 DR purely by accident by Meldruth Silverhelm. Fleeing the infighting amongst the sons of Aeroth in the kingdom of Vlun (western Gnarhelm), Meldruth travelled to Corwell with his loyal retainers and as much valuables as they could carry (his share of the wealth stolen from the Northmen of Gnarhelm by Aeroth).
Upon arriving in Cantrev Kingsbay, Meldruth and his retinue purchased a caravan and plenty of supplies from the traders in port and set off towards Caer Corwell to seek an audience with the King (after all Meldruth was of noble birth and so desired position and wealth). Along the way they stopped at the various Cantrevs, trading goods with the villagers.
By the time he had reached Corwell, Meldruth was already a fully equipped caravan company with guards, stock, and customers, he just didn’t realise it. The King of Corwell turned the uncouth Illuskan away from his court and so Meldruth continued on his way to Pontswain before turning back and heading back the way he came.
Since he and his men were of Illuskan origin they did not mind the cold as much as the Ffolk and they were well versed in protecting themselves from raids and other threats, the Silverhelm Trading Company quickly became famous for braving the wintry weather and delivering goods when no one else would.
When the drathak hordes emerged in 1108 DR, it was the wintry weather that saved the Silverhelm Trading Company. All other caravan operations preferred to operate in the summer months and so one by one became prey for the drathaks that were attracted to large numbers of people nearby. However even the drathak were not immune to the Moonshae winter and so quite often the undead would freeze solid during the winter, and the Silverhelm traders could pass by easily, then when the ice thawed the undead began moving again.
After the Moonshae Trade Wars (1118 DR to 1151 DR) the Silverhelm Trading Company was left a shadow of its former self. Senior members separated the company into various portions, the organisation still bearing the original name performs the Kingsbay to Pontswain run in the winter months as its founder did but is only one of many traders running that route.
Two Silvers Traders: This company was originally founded as Silverhelm and Silverhelm Traders in 1023 DR by Toluth Silverhelm and his son. Seeking to emulate the success of Meldruth Silverhelm in Corwell, Toluth desired to corner the trading market of Callidyrr and become fabulously rich.
Using the wealth of Vlun that he stole in the kingdom’s final days (while his brother Raurlor was off fighting the Northmen that were invading from the east), Toluth purchased outright three family trading companies of Callidyrr and by 1033 DR (Year of the Dreamforging), through a variety of nefarious means, was in firm control of the economy of Callidyrr.
Using his economic leverage, Toluth Silverhelm put pressure on King Bayle Carrathal to accede to his demands, for Toluth wanted a title and eventually the kingdom for himself. King Bayle could not grant the request without revoking the title of one of his existing lairds and that would likely result in civil war since the Carrathal dynasty had suffered a huge loss of reputation in recent centuries.
Toluth’s son, Tordelg continued to chase after his father’s dream and eventually the king decided upon the rash action of attempting to annex the Jannath’s Tears island chain into his kingdom in 1052 DR so it could be granted to Tordelg. The expedition was a disaster and King Bayle was deposed following the failed attempt by his rebellious lairds. Tordelg was imprisoned and executed for treason shortly afterwards.
The trading company was broken into three smaller companies (called the One, Two, and Three Silvers Traders) and the Two Silvers Traders and was operated by nephews of Toluth.
Following the Moonshae Trade Wars (1118 DR to 1151 DR), the Two Silvers Traders was completely destroyed (all its senior members were killed by the trolls in 1151 DR). Ten years later a caravan trader began using the name for himself to try and acquire more prestige without much success. The company today operates a minor route of Blythe to Hickorydale.
Lorndin Shipping: This small company began in 1064 DR when a man of Illuskan origin and a strange elvish accent appeared in Snowdown. Shortly after his appearance a local merchant (the son of Aeroth Silverhelm) disappeared in mysterious circumstances and the stranger laid claim to it as his brother.
Over the next few years the man known only as Lorndin displayed fabulous wealth far beyond his meagre means. He purchased a local shipping enterprise and began competing with other inter island traders to bring goods to the other kingdoms and settlements of the Ffolk.
Lorndin’s ships were always the fastest, they always managed to avoid pirates and storms, as if they possessed eyes and ears in the waters.
The truth of the matter was that Lorndin did possess eyes and ears in the waters. Aeroth’s bastard child with queen Verlunae, the half elf had many allies among the elves of Nindrol and always knew the right time to be in port to catch the traders from Amn, Waterdeep, and the Western Heartlands.
Lorndin Shipping quickly became the principle trader between the nations of Callidyrr, Corwell, and Snowdown and he used that position to his advantage to gain vengeance on the kin of his half brothers.
The sons of Aeroth had never done anything particularly wrong to Lorndin (a name he chose himself, never revealing his true elven name to anyone), except that they had squandered his birthright by bickering amongst themselves. An outcast among his own kind (except for the queen who always instructed her servants to aid him), Lorndin longed for a home of his own, upon hearing of the destruction of Vlun, Lorndin vowed to punish the children of Aeroth for their greed.
First he gave preferential treatment to Silverhelm Trading Company and the Two Silvers Traders, allowing them to become the dominant traders of Corwell and Callidyrr, then he started increasing the prices while blaming to one company on the other for supplying the goods at such high prices.
Eventually a full blown trade war was underway. The two companies purchased their own ships, attempted to ship goods themselves and establish themselves in the other kingdoms.
First the Silverhelm Trading Company hired mercenaries to operate as bandits out of Dernall Forest, then Two Silvers Traders purchased the docks of Cantrev Kingsbay and refused to allow Silverhelm Trading to use it. Assassinations began in earnest against the caravan masters of both companies in an effort to discourage people from work for them. Finally in 1150 DR the Silverhelm Trading Company hired an adventuring company to acquire pieces of trolls from mainland Faerûn and smuggle them to Callidyrr into the manors of the owners of Two Silvers Traders.
One night in 1151 DR 8 trolls clawed their way out of the wine cellars and slew the entire Silverhelm family in Callidyrr before fleeing into the mountains as the family was revelling at the victory they would soon have over the Silverhelms Trading Company of Corwell; for they had just hired the Darkmoon to assassinate their rivals.
First the trolls ate their victims, then the Grimmulf ate the Silverhelms of Corwell. Except for a single person in the Korinn Archipelago (and Lorndin himself), the entire Silverhelm dynasty was eliminated in a single year.
The last remaining Silverhelm in the Archipelago had a son who became a great leader of men and established a short-lived kingdom in the Korinn Archipelago. When Lorndin finally learned where the last Silverhelm was he leaked false rumours about the location of Taragarth the Blood Brand, the famous sword of Aeroth Silverhelm and that it lay with his last scion; Viledal Silverhelm.
Pirates assaulted Viledal’s kingdom for years, finally bringing it low in 1275 DR (Year of the Blade).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2015 :  21:18:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found it, the other instrument was in Magic of Faerun.

Mac-Fuirmidh Cithern, Fochlucan Bandore, Doss Lute, Canaith Mandolin, Cli Lyre, Anstruth Harp, Ollamh Harp, any one of them could be another of the 3 instruments of the great bard. All were made by a great bard named Falataer. Not quite sure how many of the colleges around the realms came to be named after these instruments though.

Maybe Falataer's original instrument (probably a guitar like object given the frequency of those related instruments among the above) is the Great Instrument still present among the bard's of the Moonshae Isles.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 01 Jan 2015 21:27:30