Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Moonshae
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2019 :  08:30:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers George, I might change ssassatal to be the black squall rather than the forked. For me the gods are unrelated to mainland ones because there can be no direct communication between worshipper and deity, but that's just me.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2019 :  20:43:20  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's an interesting idea of Talos being originally a Northmen god - he actually seems a lot like a combination of Odin and Thor, if possessing their worst traits from personality.

Maybe though Talos was originally of a Neutral alignment (True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral), or at less outright malicious, and more pessimistic, with only becoming how he is known today in Faerun, after subsuming/absorbing Kozah, as such things happen. (ie like with Selvetarm after he absorbed Zanassu.)

I also wondered if Kozah wasn't maybe Lawful (specifically Lawful Evil), as among the Beliefs of the Bedine, he is represented as a seeming like a Lawful God.

It's also possible though Talos was always Chaotic Evil, but Kozah was Lawful.

About Northmen though, I confirmed in a recent question to Eric L. Boyd that Shaundakul was indeed originally, and started out as a Rus God:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?whichpage=47.56&TOPIC_ID=3803#521402

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

Hi Eric,

I have question about Shaundakul. In Faiths and Pantheons, it is mentioned "his existence may date back to the time of the Rus, forbears of the Rashemaar".

Does this mean Shaundakul was worshipped by the Rus, possibly even his faith originating among the Rus?

More hints of this is with the "Windwalker" artifact of the Rus - the same name as Shaundakul's Specialty Priests.

Yeah, that's what I was hinting, without stating so definitively. Give the DM a direction to go in if they wanted.

--Eric

Seeing Rus were a tribe of Northmen, it would also seem Shaundakul was a member of the Northmen proto-pantheon. This also set's up a (further) precedent some gods could be completely or night forgotten in their original, or previous pantheon. This could be explained how Tempus possibly took over Talos' role (ie of a Storm God) among Moonshae Northmen.

Edited by - Baltas on 27 Sep 2019 21:12:04
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2019 :  21:25:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i've pretty much removed the deific struggle completely from my realms and instead turned it into religious geo politics. I dont even bother assigning alignment to deities anymore as im happy for anyone to worship anyone and do whatever they want, punishment only occurs if other members of the religion find out and do anything about it.

That being said, i'm imagining the fall of Netheril and Jhaamdath to have a massive effect on the pantheons of Faerun which results in the Faerunian pantheon. As the Netherese and Jhaam people flood into the Western Heartlands region they mix with the northmen and it causes massive strive including religious strife. The worship of Kozah had almost died out so them embracing Talos probably didnt cause much trouble. The battle between the faithful of the war deities caused a lot of problems (with at least two avatars being summoned to the field to do battle).

I'd never really paid attention to the Rus before but now it appears i have made a rather large oversight, i never realised they existed as a separate racial ethnicity until just now. It would appear they were a separate culture on Ruathym that merged with the northmen to form the illuskans. It must be the Rus that transformed the northmen into rune magic users. It is all starting to become very complicated as it means that the northmen that invaded the moonshaes in 200 DR could not have come from Ruathym.

Good pointer there, i will need to do a lot more research into the Rus and Shaundakul (does he have a presence in the Sword Coast/Savage Frontier, if not, why not).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2019 :  00:33:52  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I understand.

Although I think there still could be something similar to what I suggested, like with Kozah's worshipers and Church being more lawful (which was retained by his Bedine worshipers), and possibly the worshipers and cult of Talos were more Neutral, before the influx the malicious Kozah converted worshipers, and eventual absorption, and adaption of parts of Kozah's dogma into that of Talos.

With Shaundakul and the Sword Coast, I found that The Fellowship of the Next Mountain is an order of rangers and clerics worshiping him, active in the Sword Coast North and Moonsea North - both areas were the oldest worshipers of Shaundakul were active (ie the Rus and the worshipers from Myth Drannor - the first of which quite possibly also were Rus settlers.)

It's also stated a few times Shaundakul is generally worshiped in a vague "North", were he also had many shrines, so I think this also probably includes Sword Coast North, when combined with the information on The Fellowship of the Next Mountain. In general it seems Shaundakul's clergy are mobile (described as struck with wanderlust), which possibly means his faithful today are spread in small groups through Northern Faerun, if the greatest modern concentration seems in the Moonsea North.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2019 :  03:49:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

I'd never really paid attention to the Rus before but now it appears i have made a rather large oversight, i never realised they existed as a separate racial ethnicity until just now. It would appear they were a separate culture on Ruathym that merged with the northmen to form the illuskans. It must be the Rus that transformed the northmen into rune magic users. It is all starting to become very complicated as it means that the northmen that invaded the moonshaes in 200 DR could not have come from Ruathym.

Good pointer there, i will need to do a lot more research into the Rus and Shaundakul (does he have a presence in the Sword Coast/Savage Frontier, if not, why not).

I would suggest that the Rus became a separate racial identity AFTER they stumbled into a (sarrukh) portal landing them on the far side of Faerūn. There they mixed with local ethnic populations and formed their own, separate diverse ethnicity. Before that they were clearly Illuskan in my view.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2019 :  03:53:58  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and in my Realms, I'd have them led in that time of tumult and fear by Shaund son of Akul, who promises to "lead them back to their homeland" and thereby engendering the roaming culture the Rus are famous for. He is deified when he passes and becomes the patron of wanderers and travellers as the Rus spin his life into legend.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2019 :  08:46:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's good stuff George, although a sarrukh portal? I was going to use sarrukh but I have my own reasons that I doubt anyone else would use so I'm wondering what yours are for using sarrukh.

As for Shaund son of akul and the Rus existing only when they stepped through the portal does pose the problem of how shaundakuls worship exists in the sword coast with an order of his wanderers (especially if you don't allow God meddling).

I wonder if shaund was not exiled or abandoned his home for some reason, and a number of his followers got lost and ended up elsewhere (and thus started his worship in the sword coast and anauroch).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2019 :  12:49:57  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's my take, but I think it's possible Shaundakul's worshipers spread to Anauroch and Sword Coast North, as part of their mission/dogma to return to their homeland (Sword Coast North, Ruathym), before their dogma finalized into the current journey and exploration based form.

I also wonder if Shaund was a runecaster himself, and possibly even used or created the Windwalker amulet.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2019 :  16:10:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is possible that shaundakuls worship spread to sword coast and moonsea and the sword coast from myth drannor/anauroch, but such a branched migration plan is likely to cause problems with other things

It is certainly cleaner to have shaund be of legendary hero status before he departs ruathym that way he can be worshipped in all three regions without a complicated reason why.

As for the rune magic part. The northmen have a rabid hatred of magic, and uthgar was similarly anti magic. The illuskans however of later years have a much more relaxed attitude to magic if it proves beneficial to them.

The rashemmi are also wary of wizardry type magic but are seemingly happier with the place and spirit magic used by the witches of rashemen.
The rus certainly seem like a good candidate for having exposure to rune magic, indeed many of the sword coast islands have some dwarven or giant ish ruins on them which indicates the possibility of rune magic.

Shaund could well have been able to use the magic and became hugely successful because of it. This rune skill might even have allowed him to open the portal that so far no others have been able to.

I'm not sure the sword coast islands are United in any way, and while shaund may have commanded the power of ruathym and gained acceptance it is possible the other northmen isles branded him an evil magic user and tried to invade, perhaps that is why he left through the portal.

The Rus could have been an early name for northmen but I have seen norl used in at least one source for northmen so I've taken that name for those proto illuskans with the healthy distrust of magic. Perhaps Rus could be part of the naming convention meaning son of Shaund Russon (because sson has been used a lot in he moonshaes for northmen as son of already) Akul shortened to Shaund Akul.

Still need to do my research first though before committing anything to paper. It just seems that any isolated corner you try to develop has at least 20 or 30 major links with other lands with far reaching consequences, it makes things very difficult.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2019 :  19:14:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Going through all things Rus.

First random thing i come across is from Magic of Incarnum (core i realise), family names for Skarn include Rus.

A skarn is a human appearing being infused with incarnum magic (easy for me to make that rune magic) with reptilian spines at the elbow and behind the knees.

So, sarrukh magic is possibly in Ruathym (sarrukh portal to Rashemen), Shaund son of Akul of the Rus tribe could be a Skarn (perhaps he meddled with sarrukh magic and became part reptilian and now better able to manipulate sarrukh magic (of which only the runic script survived). The other northmen dislike his use of magic and discover his reptilian taint and decide to eradicate the Rus so Shaund leads them through the portal to another land.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2019 :  20:03:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found a lore snaffu.

Dragon 362 says that in -105 DR the chief Yvengi leads the Rus through a malfunctioning portal in the whalebones to Rashemen

Champions of Ruins says that in -75 DR the half Rus/half Rashemmi berserker Yvengi finally liberated Rashemen from Eltab using Hadryllis.

So Yvengi is unlikely to have been half Rus/half Rashemmi if he led the Rus to Rashemen in the first place. Plus he would likely have been 60-70 plus if he was chief in -105 DR and then finally liberated Rashemen in -75 DR (30 years later).

It almost precludes the option of Shaund son of Akul being the one who led the Rus to Rashemen, but perhaps not.

If the portal malfunctions then it is possible that -105 DR was not the first time it opened. It is possible that Shaund was the first to open the portal and went to Rashemen where he had a child and learned of the plight of the Rashemmi under Eltab and also found similar magic inscriptions to the ones on Ruathym and the whalebones (sarrukh magic of the baetith), perhaps the witches of Rashemen transformed him into a Skarn, perhaps the old ones are human/sarrukh hybrids (dont the sarrukh or yuan ti have a title of great old ones). Shaund has a child, he returns to Ruathym with the child, he learns how to open the portal on command, finds magic to help the witches fight Eltab.

Yvengi grows up and becomes chief, Shaund remains the tribe shaman. The northmen try to eradicate the Rus and Shaund reopens the portal allowing his tribe to flee (he does not come through and is revered for the sacrifice he made). Perhaps Hadryllis came from a sarrukh/baetith cache on Ruathym.

The fleeing Rus led by Yvengi arrive on the shores of the Moonsea. Some of them travelled along the River Tesh, others along the River Duathamper, a last group holding the Windwalker Amulet and perhaps Hadrylis take the River Lis and end up in the Sea of Fallen Stars and discover another portal (opened by the Windwalker Amulet which must act as a key to these sarrukh portals) and end up in Rashemen.

The above is my attempt to bring together entries in GHoTR, CoR, and Volos Guide to All Things Magical.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 29 Sep 2019 20:22:46
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2019 :  20:35:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So i'm thinking the Rus are a subgroup within the northmen at this point in time, perhaps a single settlement (which is called something like Rus) located near the arakhor known as yggdrasil's child which sits on the southern edge of Ruathym.

Sarrukh ruins under Rus allow Shaund to find the windwalker amulet. His explorations allow the portal in the whalebones to open when the windwalker amulet comes near it and off he goes. Being so near the sarrukh ruins and surrounded by their inscriptions the northmen of Rus accept this magic and are not as horrified by it (unlike Uthgar and his ilk).

The northmen are already noted explorers so its nothing new for the Rus to wander, when they go through the portal they just keep wandering until they finally land at Rashemen. I'm guessing they can't leave this place because of Eltab's rule (demons hunting humans in the night, they are forced to hide in caves, etc) and so are forced to join the fight. After spending 30 years in Rashemen they decide to stay.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2019 :  21:48:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Found a lore snaffu.

Dragon 362 says that in -105 DR the chief Yvengi leads the Rus through a malfunctioning portal in the whalebones to Rashemen

Champions of Ruins says that in -75 DR the half Rus/half Rashemmi berserker Yvengi finally liberated Rashemen from Eltab using Hadryllis.

Yvengi the Elder and Yvengi the Younger?

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2019 :  21:56:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also a possibility, I do like George's shaund son of Akul. Events are easier to explain if he is in control, if he has to negotiate it with the chieftain that becomes more complex but it does seem more likely that yvengi son of yvengi exists in -75dr

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2019 :  22:05:03  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Shaund is a legendary explorer who vanished via a one-way portal to Lake Ashane and then starts traveling westwards, across the North, having legendary adventures along the way. Word of those adventures trickle back to the Rus, and eventually he becomes a god, like Valkur, but worshipped from Lake Ashane to Myth Drannor to the North to Ruathym.

Later Yvengi the Elder leads the Rus through the same one-way portal to Lake Ashane. His son, Yvengi the Younger, claims both Rus and Rashemaar lineage and is the forefather of the descendants of the Rus.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 29 Sep 2019 22:36:34
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2019 :  22:12:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It bears some thought and the parallels with Valkur are interesting, in fact the name Valkur is similar enough to Akul that the two could be a corruption. Shaund Valkursson could easily be corrupted to shaund Akul over a hundred years (the English language transformed in a similar amount of time).

Legendary explorer goes to Rashemen and is thought lost. Returns long after he is dead and is revered for it. Saves his people from destruction and is deified.

His name is corrupted in separate ways by the separate groups.

Those northmen who drove the Rus away revered Valkur the legendary explorer (not the charlaton who returned. Those Rus who fled to Anauroch and Myth Drannor and Rashemen revered Shaund Akul.

It could work either way. The corruption is similar to the legend of Morgurs Mound and its involvement with Uthgars legend so it has happened before/since

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2019 :  23:48:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
the idea of the younger and the elder makes a lot of sense with the half-rus/half-rashemi idea, because maybe Yvengi the Elder, as tribal chieftain marries a Rashemi in order to strengthen bonds with their new allies. I will say though, that was a good catch on the mess up with the dragon article. That little nut of jr and sr has been used to solve many a thing in the realms, but it also imminently makes sense too, given how many people name their child after the father or mother (or grandparents) in our own world.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2019 :  04:35:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Yvengi the Elder and Yvengi the Younger?

--Eric

The GHotR dating is correct here in that it doesn't explicitly state that Yvengi led the Rus in -105 DR. He's first mentioned in -75DR. Like Eric said, there will have to be an elder and younger Yvengi.

Funny that. I already had this noted in my (partial) list of Iron Lords of Rashemen. That will be my fix "when the time comes".

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 30 Sep 2019 04:46:16
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2019 :  21:05:27  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, this discussion is really an early Christmas for me, with the discussion about Rus and Shaundakul.

With Rashemi, and place magic, it was stated in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical,(and in the Starlight & Shadows trilogy by Elaine Cunningham) place magic is actually at least in part derived from Rune Magic:

quote:
The Windwalker amulet was created by the Rus to assist in the
casting of ancient form of magic known as rune lore and was borne by the group that eventually settled in Rashemen. The Windwalker was handed down for generations, eventually coming into the hands of the Witches of Rashemen. The Witches adapted the artifact's enchantment to store the power of another ancient form of magic that had evolved from rune lore known as place magic.

Rune Lore, as used though the Windwalker amulet a pretty potent form of magic, being able to catch/contain Faerzress (and with that retain her innate drow powers on the surface). With Lolth even specifically using it through manipulating Liriel, to allow Drow to use their innate drow powers on the surface, when carved her rune on Yggdrasil's Child.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2019 :  21:13:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm not going anywhere near God events but I have wondered about that tree. Like all things treeish it screams arakhora, but I'm getting lots of sarrukh vibes about this place and the wind Walker amulet being from ruathym and George suggesting the whale bones portal being sarrukh tells me that the sarrukh may have had something to do with the arakhora (maybe the elves aren't the only ones who valued these planar creatures.

If the carving of a rune into the arakhor allowed drow everywhere to use magic on the surface then perhaps this arakhora is one of the weave anchors the baetith created.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2019 :  21:44:17  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well it's possible that Yggdrasil's Child is an Arakhor placed upon to guard the weave anchor, and possibly merged with it, possibly intentionally. The Grandfather Tree after all, is an Arakhor summoned guard the Hall of Mists and the Nether Scrolls, so it's possible Yggdrasil's Child Arakhor was summoned for a similar task, if possibly by the Fey Creator race/Drine.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  00:58:56  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wanted to make sure you had seen the write-up of Taragarth the Bloodbrand in Dragon #74, page 24, and FR4 - The Magister, page 60.

I speculated about the history of Toaridge-at-the-Sun's-Setting in AJA's thread.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 01 Oct 2019 01:03:13
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  06:58:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've definitely seen the write up of the bloodbrand, the mention of vlun gave me many headaches trying to place it (the west coast of gnarhelm in the end).

Is the thread you are referring to the one about waterdeep NPCs, I don't suppose you have an approximate page.

No is the mention of the blood brand in relation to the sarrukh perhaps, toaridge and the sunset isle have thus far remained blank because there really is nothing noted about them anywhere that I could find.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  07:07:25  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow that is some good lore, I fear I may have to rewrite more than a few areas of the moonshaes now.
Sertra would have had an effect on the moonshaes politics at the time and since there is a netherese presence at dark horns it is likely that melvair darkhorn was from the same group.

Glad the sinking islands is a thing though as I've used it as a major indicator of the diminishing health of the earthmother.

Good stuff Eric, loving the extra moonshaes lore as always

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  08:58:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few immediate thoughts on sertra and toaridge.

First is netherese and talfir refugees founded it in 46 dr. This predates ffolk arrival. There is no mention of social structure but as with most things netherese I will assume arcanist upper class with other ethnicity (talfir) as slaves.

A splinter group must have headed to gwynneth at some point led by melvair darkhorn.

So why did the later ffolk ignore or avoid sertra, did they recognise the netherese danger there. What part, if any, did sertra play during the second war with kazgoroth.

Sertra collapses 191 dr, that's going to cause a wave and water pollution. What caused the collapse and why would sea elves move into the ruins soon after, were the netherese doing bad magic and it caused the island to collapse and the sea elves were guarding it to stop others using it.

Where did the sea elves come from, there is deep glen and tir faoi thoinn (which I also though was a collapsed island).

Did sertra leave any legacies in snowdown perhaps (an attempt at expansion or a few survivors).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  10:37:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked 46 DR in relation to 34 Dr. See GHotR. Myy thought was the Netherese might not come out on top. It could be more equal.

Also, collapse was 181 not 191. Sea elves took over the place in 191 DR, 10 years later. I figure most of the coral was grown with magical acceleration.

--

Edited by - ericlboyd on 01 Oct 2019 11:02:08
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  10:43:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the realms history has shown that the netherese almost always come out on top except in the face of zealous hatred (the northmen attacking illusk and refusing to give in because they hate magic). The talfir seem mostly peaceable (based on ffolk society) so it's a fair bet to assume that even a few netherese arcanists could dominate a large number of ffolk, even melvair darkhorn on his own carved out a kingdom amid the ffolk.

181 dr might work as the collapse, it's enough time for melvair to flee the island and setup his mini kingdom on gwynneth, I just need to check my dates alongside it to see if there is a clash with anything.

I wonder how many other realms l archive hints have been lost, I found the castle of skulls before it closed but obviously missed sertra.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  13:09:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the realms history has shown that the netherese almost always come out on top except in the face of zealous hatred (the northmen attacking illusk and refusing to give in because they hate magic). The talfir seem mostly peaceable (based on ffolk society) so it's a fair bet to assume that even a few netherese arcanists could dominate a large number of ffolk, even melvair darkhorn on his own carved out a kingdom amid the ffolk.

181 dr might work as the collapse, it's enough time for melvair to flee the island and setup his mini kingdom on gwynneth, I just need to check my dates alongside it to see if there is a clash with anything.

I wonder how many other realms l archive hints have been lost, I found the castle of skulls before it closed but obviously missed sertra.

OK, I updated the Sertra write-up with some detail about the Netherese coming out on top.

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  13:21:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, never expected that.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2019 :  13:52:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trying to figure out the best way to reply ...

"Boom! There it is!"

Or

"No one ever expects the Spanish Inquisition ..."

:-)

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly