Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Minsc is back!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  11:44:37  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Don't get me wrong, I love the addled rashemi ranger but listen to how he is alive again in the modern Realms:

The statue of him briefly mentioned in Murder in Baldur's Gate (which I already had a problem with since it assumed the CRPG rather than the novel was the canon story) is struck by a spell cast by a wild mage of little ability. The statue transforms into both Minsc and Boo - memories, persona, brain damage and all.

So a random magical flux creates not one, but two living, breathing individuals who have both been dead for what must be at least thirty years, in the prime of their youth, from an inanimate, nonmagical statue that sort of looks like them.

As you can probably tell, I am having trouble suspending my disbelief.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  12:20:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been having trouble suspending my disbelief for a long time and for too many things now. The whole premise of the Sundering is an example of that.

That's why I don't really care that much anymore about the how, just that what was thrown away is now restored.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  13:03:55  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a world where Fireball is a Spell and not a cinnamon flavored whiskey. Suspending disbelief is not exactly a thing that can be quantified.
I have enjoyed issue one of the series. I am also looking forward to seeing the story develop. It's refreshing to see the Beloved Ranger written in a way that better reflects the Minsc I loved in the CRPG versus the terrible novel version. It's one of the few instances I'm perfectly ok with them rewriting history.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  13:22:49  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know. Mirt came back from being imprisoned in a magical weapon. Minsc and Boo coming back like that isn't that more far-fetched.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  13:47:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want MY Realms back.

That being said, I am really hating this soap-opera, comic-bookish way they are doing it. 5e is starting to look like 4e smothered in 2e cheese sauce.

Next we'll find out they were all skrulls and the 'real ones' were in stasis somewhere.

I am enjoying the 5e rules, but I'm fairly certain I will be sticking to my amalgam campaign world moving forward.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Nov 2014 19:21:14
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2376 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  14:09:12  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It nicely sets up the whole thing as "fun, but on the level of Spin-a-Yarn series canon wise". IMHO.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  14:22:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Don't get me wrong, I love the addled rashemi ranger but listen to how he is alive again in the modern Realms:

The statue of him briefly mentioned in Murder in Baldur's Gate (which I already had a problem with since it assumed the CRPG rather than the novel was the canon story) is struck by a spell cast by a wild mage of little ability. The statue transforms into both Minsc and Boo - memories, persona, brain damage and all.

So a random magical flux creates not one, but two living, breathing individuals who have both been dead for what must be at least thirty years, in the prime of their youth, from an inanimate, nonmagical statue that sort of looks like them.

As you can probably tell, I am having trouble suspending my disbelief.

And where is this from?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  14:27:34  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Legends of Baldur's Gate

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  15:06:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is pretty weak sauce, in my opinion, and I'd've been ashamed of myself to have come up with such a tale. Hopefully there were be revelations in future issues that show the truth of the matter is more complex.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  15:44:42  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I fully expect there to be more development, personally. However, I'm only going on the ad campaign I've read for that judgement, though. I've read issue one, and the story is intriguing, the method of return is really the only "drawback." I've never collected or been a huge comic book reader. But if the people putting this together are as good as they are advertising, it just can't be this simple, in my opinion.
Of course, if the rest of the story is good, I'm willing to forgive a hand-wave return like that.

(Edited for clarification)

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 08 Nov 2014 17:07:09
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  16:49:39  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... it is a story about Minsc. I can forgive people going with a silly and extremely unlikely plot in a story about Minsc...

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  20:55:41  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I don't know. Mirt came back from being imprisoned in a magical weapon. Minsc and Boo coming back like that isn't that more far-fetched.

Was the statue composed of the actual petrified bodies of this slapstick doofus-and-hamster? Mirt's body being reconstituted from his mind being imprisoned in an inanimate object is a lot more believable for me than a carved representation of someone turning into the real person. I like wild magic, to an extent, but if the statue was just a statue beforehand then the animated version should just be animated stone which resembles the idiot to whatever extent the sculptor managed. At least this Minsc guy does seem to be just as dumb as a statue.

quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

It nicely sets up the whole thing as "fun, but on the level of Spin-a-Yarn series canon wise". IMHO.

Oh dear. Are we experiencing agreement on something? Quick, let's find something to argue about.

I echo Wooly on every point. This is garbage.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  22:58:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Was the statue composed of the actual petrified bodies of this slapstick doofus-and-hamster?

I'm pretty sure that the canon information about the statue is that it's just a statue...

However, if it was me, I'd certainly take the approach that the statue was actually their petrified bodies. Perhaps the merchant that commissioned the statue had some personal grudge against the duo, so he hired a wizard to petrify them. And then, he made himself look good by showing his gratitude and civic pride with his statue to the mighty heroes.

I don't think the grateful merchant was ever named, so there is definitely some wiggle room, there. Name him, connect him to some group that was thwarted by Minsc's actions, and then note that his generous contribution was actually rather sinister in nature, and you've got some nifty lore, a way for their return to make sense, and it's not a retcon.

Even if he was named, just establish a previously-secret connection to some evil group, and you're still golden.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Nov 2014 23:00:20
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  23:42:06  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realms fans cry for more Realms related stuff.

Realms fans get more stuff

Realms fans hate on new stuff

/facepalm
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2014 :  23:51:15  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I don't think the grateful merchant was ever named, so there is definitely some wiggle room, there. Name him, connect him to some group that was thwarted by Minsc's actions, and then note that his generous contribution was actually rather sinister in nature, and you've got some nifty lore, a way for their return to make sense, and it's not a retcon.

Even if he was named, just establish a previously-secret connection to some evil group, and you're still golden.

Obert Lewel was the name of the merchant. He was noted as an eccentric textiles merchant. Minsc is said to have saved his life. There is no previous mention of Lewel (who was dead when the lore on the statue was published) in realmslore.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  00:26:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Obert Lewel was the name of the merchant. He was noted as an eccentric textiles merchant. Minsc is said to have saved his life. There is no previous mention of Lewel (who was dead when the lore on the statue was published) in realmslore.

I stand corrected, then, on him never having been named. I've never played any of those games.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  00:33:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

/facepalm

I don't think it's fair to criticize someone for wanting a story that makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  00:53:31  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am all for the return of Minsc. The statue was an awesome nod to the great job Bioware did with FR. The comic sounds like it will be a ton of fun as well. Then again I have been enjoying all of the 5e stuff, so YMMV.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  00:53:51  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

/facepalm

I don't think it's fair to criticize someone for wanting a story that makes sense.

What "makes sense" is wholly subjective, especially in the context of high fantasy where monsters, magic, and Gods divine power are not only known truths but things that are seen on a daily basis.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  01:46:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

/facepalm

I think that people would like to see a FRCS (or at least an update on the Realms) rather than some comic, at least as far as I can tell.

Also, even in fantasy, having stuff randomly happen just because some wizard/god woke up a morning and thought that it would be cool to make it happen, is not good writing IMO (and it was the point of this thread, I guess).

But then, as I said, with all the deus ex machina, and all the 'cheese' that has been poured over FR, I don't really care about how things return, just that they do and that we can get good lore on them and the restored version of the setting.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 09 Nov 2014 01:49:47
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  01:48:01  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What "makes sense" is wholly subjective

This is true, but it only goes so far.

My objections (to everything I object to) are deeper than whether or not the storyline makes sense to me, so while I resist your characterization I'm sure others will think it applies perfectly well.

It's my opinion that the best fantasies are the ones which are most approachable from reality. I don't mean that fantasy shouldn't include fantastic things, but... hm, examples.

Compare two hypothetical dreams or daydreams.

• You're a vampire. You can charm and dominate the men and women of your choice. You can turn yourself into a bat or a cloud of vapor, fly even without changing your form, and mentally summon wolves who will do your bidding. And because it's a dream, let's say you're not vulnerable to garlic or sacred symbols. This is a fun dream.

• You're fantastically wealthy. You can buy whatever you want, go wherever you want, and in most situations the rules everyone else has to obey don't apply to you. You're not addicted to drugs, alcohol, or anything else... you're intelligent and your judgment is never impaired. Also a fun dream!

• I contend that the second one is a "better" fantasy. Both are great, while you're asleep or daydreaming, but the second one brings less disappointment when you wake up and confront the real world. The first one sucks, in the sense that it will never come true, no matter what you do. The second one... there are steps you can take to begin making it real.

Read some books on investment; even without a ton of initial capital there are small-scale things you can do to grow your money. Make a budget and stick to it, to eliminate wasteful spending. Listen to interviews and read the advice of people who are successful, and apply the changes in thinking-about-money that they talk about.

Save the money you've been blowing on fast food, soda, and concert tickets, and instead invest it in something with a payoff... even low-interest loans to friends and coworkers you can count on to pay you back.

The first dream, above, just depresses you in the long run. If it's a recurring dream, or something you think about a lot, your life sucks more every time you wake up. That's a horrible way to live.

The second one can actually come true, and along the way it might inspire you to change your life in positive ways. This will attract higher-caliber people to you, who will encourage you rather than weighing you down, and who will --when you eventually succeed-- also be doing great things with their lives so they won't be mooching off of your success.

Relevance: the more believable the campaign setting is, the better the campaign setting is.

Stories that don't ring true don't contribute to the setting. They detract from it. They make it suck.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 09 Nov 2014 01:51:41
    Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
    Master of Realmslore

USA
    1853 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  02:07:49  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    I'm not even wholly against a wild surge bringing someone back to life... if the statue was actually made from the guy's body. I strongly favor Mirt coming back from statue form in the late 1400s, because even though it's weird it would accomplish an ironic fit with existing lore.

I'm irritated that this Minsc buffoon does not look Rashemi at all, and his tattoo/whatever looks like something from X-men or pretty much any other modern/postmodern comic book... which means it does not look Realmsian. The pic on FR Wiki suggests that previous illustrations have given him darker skin, at least. So that's just a failure on the comic's part, which the underlying story doesn't have.

The FR Wiki also says he originated in a Dark Sun game, which suggests that he's not Rashemi at all, but he should still have dark skin unless he's an albino.

In any case the preview completely turns me off to the comic, on both story and artistic levels. So no, it isn't enough that somebody says it's set in the Realms, and sprinkles a bunch of FR names in it... it's not relatable to my Realms.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 09 Nov 2014 02:15:44
    Go to Top of Page

Diffan
    Great Reader

USA
    4425 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  06:01:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

quote:

What "makes sense" is wholly subjective

This is true, but it only goes so far.

My objections (to everything I object to) are deeper than whether or not the storyline makes sense to me, so while I resist your characterization I'm sure others will think it applies perfectly well.

It's my opinion that the best fantasies are the ones which are most approachable from reality. I don't mean that fantasy shouldn't include fantastic things, but... hm, examples.

Compare two hypothetical dreams or daydreams.

• You're a vampire. You can charm and dominate the men and women of your choice. You can turn yourself into a bat or a cloud of vapor, fly even without changing your form, and mentally summon wolves who will do your bidding. And because it's a dream, let's say you're not vulnerable to garlic or sacred symbols. This is a fun dream.

• You're fantastically wealthy. You can buy whatever you want, go wherever you want, and in most situations the rules everyone else has to obey don't apply to you. You're not addicted to drugs, alcohol, or anything else... you're intelligent and your judgment is never impaired. Also a fun dream!

• I contend that the second one is a "better" fantasy. Both are great, while you're asleep or daydreaming, but the second one brings less disappointment when you wake up and confront the real world. The first one sucks, in the sense that it will never come true, no matter what you do. The second one... there are steps you can take to begin making it real.

I'll just chalk it up to different strokes because the second one sounds boring as heck to me. There's nothing "fantastic" about it, it's something that people every day here in real world have and do. Color me unimpressed. Nor, in all honesty, do I even want to make the second dream a reality. For what it's worth, I look to fantasy to escape reality, so when Reality is thrust into Fantasy on many levels, it lessens the fantastic for me, rather than enhancing it.

quote:

Read some books on investment;

I'd rather not

quote:

even without a ton of initial capital there are small-scale things you can do to grow your money. Make a budget and stick to it, to eliminate wasteful spending. Listen to interviews and read the advice of people who are successful, and apply the changes in thinking-about-money that they talk about.

Save the money you've been blowing on fast food, soda, and concert tickets, and instead invest it in something with a payoff... even low-interest loans to friends and coworkers you can count on to pay you back.

What does any of this have to do with anything about this thread?

quote:

The first dream, above, just depresses you in the long run. If it's a recurring dream, or something you think about a lot, your life sucks more every time you wake up. That's a horrible way to live.

Except that the first dream is fun yet something I'd never actually want to happen. Sort of like playing Paintball or First Person Shooters, they're fun but in in way would I actually want to be in a fire-fight in Iraq. I use fantasy to escape, not as something to aspire for.

quote:

The second one can actually come true, and along the way it might inspire you to change your life in positive ways. This will attract higher-caliber people to you, who will encourage you rather than weighing you down, and who will --when you eventually succeed-- also be doing great things with their lives so they won't be mooching off of your success.

Again, I look for fantasy (and in this vein, the Realms) to have fun with and escape real life for a time. Real life is ALSO fun and I enjoy it many ways. Not really sure why I'd want to only have fantasies that are based in reality when I'm happy where I am already?

quote:

Relevance: the more believable the campaign setting is, the better the campaign setting is.

Subjectively false. If your playing in a world with Magic and Monsters, where the base rules of physics are altered on a daily basis, wanting to force reality from that it sort of missing the point.

quote:

Stories that don't ring true don't contribute to the setting. They detract from it. They make it suck.

Then why are you reading the Realms, which to my knowledge, has LOTS of stories that have contradicted it throughout it's history?
    Go to Top of Page

Diffan
    Great Reader

USA
    4425 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  06:09:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

I'm not even wholly against a wild surge bringing someone back to life... if the statue was actually made from the guy's body. I strongly favor Mirt coming back from statue form in the late 1400s, because even though it's weird it would accomplish an ironic fit with existing lore.

There's nothing in the Lore, as far as I'm aware, that suggests the statue wasn't a petrified Minsc. And, in all honestly, even if it weren't I'd still be OK with the concept because 1) I like Minsc's character, 2) It's magic, and 3) stranger things have happened and it doesn't ruin my immersion.

quote:

I'm irritated that this Minsc buffoon does not look Rashemi at all, and his tattoo/whatever looks like something from X-men or pretty much any other modern/postmodern comic book... which means it does not look Realmsian. The pic on FR Wiki suggests that previous illustrations have given him darker skin, at least. So that's just a failure on the comic's part, which the underlying story doesn't have.

Mincs looks just like he did in his original BGs Portrait. Bald white guy with a purple swirling tattoo on his head. Not only that but the FR Wiki is littered with problems of continuity and having wrong information.

quote:

The FR Wiki also says he originated in a Dark Sun game, which suggests that he's not Rashemi at all, but he should still have dark skin unless he's an albino.

Not all Rashemi have dusty or dark skin. Considering that the nation is taken from our Real world Russia/Slavic nations, one can make the easy case of whiter skin. As for him originating in a DS game, I don't know? He's always been in the Realms as early as the mid-90's from the original Baldur's Gate game. Whether or not he was "in lore" 'ported there, is a whole different matter.

quote:

In any case the preview completely turns me off to the comic, on both story and artistic levels. So no, it isn't enough that somebody says it's set in the Realms, and sprinkles a bunch of FR names in it... it's not relatable to my Realms.

Best to just ignore it then...
    Go to Top of Page

Delwa
    Master of Realmslore

USA
    1268 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  13:40:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    "In game," Minsc always was a Rashemi. Out of game, the table top character that inspired the Beloved Ranger may have started as a DS character, from what I recall. But the BG character never was in DS.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
    Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
    1150 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  15:29:41  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    You are correct in saying that there is no lore which unequivocally states that the statue is not Minsc and Boo's petrified remains. If that truly is the case, then I have absolutely zero problem with their return to the Realms in this way. However, all the lore we *do* have suggests that Obert Lewel commissioned the statue out of plain, ordinary stone in remembrance of his life being saved - he didn't abduct them, petrify them and put them up on a pedestal.

If we are taking the games as canon (which I suppose we should since Minsc mentions Neera in the comic who was a character who hadn't appeared anywhere until the Enhanced Edition came out), then after the Bhaalspawn Conflict, Minsc returned home to Rashemen to become a hero of the Ice Dragon berserker lodge. He would have died of natural causes at least thirty years before the Sundering finished, assuming he hadn't met with misadventure before then.

There ARE still ways for his resurrection to make sense and I hope against all hope that IDW comes up with one but so far, Minsc and Boo's return feels LAZY and THAT'S what I object to.

I tend to side with Diffan on the changes 4e brought - that they weren't as bad as most people seem to think but I still objected to the LAZY way they were implemented. That's all I'm really saying here.

That and I'm fed up of people bagging on the wiki because they see a mistake and decide the whole site is inaccurate. We do our best to keep things accurate and the vast majority of people use our site as reference for Realms material.

If you see a problem. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, don't just sit there complaining and judging. It's a wiki - anyone can edit it, but without more people who want to improve it, progress can only go so fast. At the very least, you can point out a mistake to us and we can fix it for you.

Thank you, rant over.

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 09 Nov 2014 15:31:11
    Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
    Master of Realmslore

USA
    1446 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  15:33:00  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Comic books are a completely different beast from our normal sources and intake of Realmslore. They just don't have the space to do in depth explanations for things like other formats.

And Minsc is a classic! Always had that guy in my party during BG play.
    Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  15:41:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

You are correct in saying that there is no lore which unequivocally states that the statue is not Minsc and Boo's petrified remains. If that truly is the case, then I have absolutely zero problem with their return to the Realms in this way. However, all the lore we *do* have suggests that Obert Lewel commissioned the statue out of plain, ordinary stone in remembrance of his life being saved - he didn't abduct them, petrify them and put them up on a pedestal.

Another possibility that occurs to me: Obert didn't have them petrified, but someone else did, and swapped out the original statue.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
    Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
    1150 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  15:58:41  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    Or a Durthan trapped their souls after returning to Rashemen, but they were freed many years later and their spirits, strengthened by their homeland, were drawn to Baldur's Gate where people, thanks to the statue, congregated and thoughts of the hero and his hamster acted as a beacon.

I could come up with more believable tales but apparently, IDW can't.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
    Master of Mischief

USA
    36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  15:59:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

Or a Durthan trapped their souls after returning to Rashemen, but they were freed many years later and their spirits, strengthened by their homeland, were drawn to Baldur's Gate where people, thanks to the statue, congregated and thoughts of the hero and his hamster acted as a beacon.

That is also more plausible than a wild magic effect doing tall that.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
    Master of Realmslore

USA
    1853 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2014 :  19:09:51  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
    quote:

If your playing in a world with Magic and Monsters, where the base rules of physics are altered on a daily basis, wanting to force reality from that it sort of missing the point.

So... because orcs exist in the Realms we should just throw away all our definitions of what makes sense? Why shouldn't redwood trees grow out of pebbles? Why shouldn't elves eat sand and excrete filet mignon?

The concept of "that doesn't work" still exists in a world where the set of things that make sense is larger than it is on Earth.
    Go to Top of Page
    Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
    Next Page
     New Topic  New Poll New Poll
     Reply to Topic
     Printer Friendly
    Jump To:
    Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
    Snitz Forums 2000