Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Converting Sunless Citidel to 5th ed with a twist
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2014 :  18:17:41  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So... i decided out of boredom to do something spontaneous.

I am going to begin converting 3.0 Sunless citidel to 5.0 , and plop it into Daggerdale as a campaign setting.

I am considering making it an old Netherese ruin in the daggerhills (it could have been an old outpost).

Removing all reference to Ashardalon and replacing them instead with references to Karsus (would this be done?).

Given the origins of the Gulthias tree, which sits at the bottom of the citidel, has everything do with druids slaying a vampire (and daggerdale DID have a vampire plague back when it was called merrydale!) it should not change things oer much.

Though i am wondering how i add a netherese touch on things as, admittantly, i am no expert on netherese ruins.

Changes so far

- There is no desolation of Ashardalon, simply just the dagger hills.

- The old road used to run up to highstone, but fell into disuse when Highstone fell and was renamed Bloodstone.

- Oakhurst is now daggerfalls, and the journey to the dungeon is now 14 miles.

- It is the 22nd of Hammer, so it is winter. Heavy snows on the road make travel difficult, at this rate it could take them 4 days on foot.

- Lady Hucrele is a wealthy homesteader in the Tesh river valley. Her daughter Sharwyn was taken as an apprentice by Shevaril Starcloak, Randal Morn's court wizard. Her son, Talgen joined the freedom riders. Karakas was a poacher working for the Tanner. Sir Braford is a Knight of the Aster from Shadowdale who came to protect pilgrims heading to daggerfalls to rebuild the Temple of Lathanders Light.

- I kept the apple plot, it has been happening for the past 12 years, but the Zhents always coveted the apples and ofcourse had tried to plant them to make a crop. The mid winter market brought all kinds of shady sorts into town looking to get the pale apple. When Randal retook daggerdale, the shady sorts stopped coming themselves - paying others to go for them.

- I dropped the limited random encounter table of 2 twig blights and replaced with with one inspired by the 'Doom of Daggerdale' campaign. with a few tweaks its much more fun. Though i will make sure their first nocturnal encounter is with 2 twig blights.

- Replace much of the Draconic statuary in the dungeon with Wizards or Magical creatures (such as bound elementals).

- Change the Dragon Priest to be some forsaken netherese wizard.

More to come...

'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2014 :  04:45:07  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff.

I enjoyed running The Sunless Citadel. Happy to see it being converted over.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  11:09:38  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Challenge ratings. Problem 1

In area 2 of sunless citidel 3 dire rats make for a cr 1 ambush.

In 5th ed 8 giant rats with advantage to hit (pack tactics) make the same encounter.

Now I dont know about you, but this seems wildly unfair. Thoughts?

'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  11:41:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thoughts - 5e is broken.

Only joking (maybe)

I like the Netheril angle, however the ruins in the dales are likely to be more recent than Netheril. One of the successor states perhaps (i think Hlondath was nearest to the dales) or maybe the short lived realm of Hlontar which came to be ruled by the lich Alokkair.

I think during Netheril's time much of the northern forest of Cormanthyr would still be under the protection of the elven kingdoms and so they would not be happy about Netherese setting up camp under their boughs (although that does not mean it didnt happen).

Around the time of Hlondath the deforestation and population of the dales was probably well under way with settlements springing up (as opposed to isolated hunters living in single shacks or groups of shacks).

By 536 DR (around the time of Alokkair's arrival) the realm of Hlontar ruled a large portion of the land below the River Tesh which may or may not have included Daggerdale.

Alokkair was a skilled necromancer from the survivor states of Netheril (doesnt say which one in my notes) and he slew the ruler Hlonagh. Could it be that Hlonagh was reanimated by his own sense of betrayal and hatred as a vampire (or by Alokkair's magic) and 200 years later causes the infestation of 796 that leads to Merrydale being renamed.

Anyway its just a suggestion tying up some random bits of history in that area.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  13:34:35  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You see Dazzlerdal? this is why i like you :)

RIGHT so here is what im going to go with -

Long ago, in what would one day become daggerdale, existed a short lived sucessor state to the empire of Netheril. This state was known as Hlontar, and its ruler was an archmage by the name of Hlonagh. Hlontar eventually fell with Hlonagh's betrayal by his one time ally, the Lich Alokkair. Allokair, lay waste to Hlontar and eventually marched to the gates of Hlonaghs citidel for the final battle. Here an epic fight took place, but eventually the Hlontarans were defeated. At the height of the seige, Allokair incensed with the defiance of the Hlontarans, used epic level shadow-magic to create a tremendous fissure , sinking the entire citidel into the bowels of the daggerhills. Creating the Sunless citidel as it is known today. Its halls now roamed by the undead remains of the guards who died defending it. Hlonagh later reanimated as a vampire, driven by hatred and vengence – unwitting adventurers released him from his earthen prison 200 years later, resulting in beginning the great vampire infestation of merrydale.

Eventually, a coalition heroes from cormanthyr, tethyamar and the dales tracked Hlonagh down in the bowels of the sunless citidel and staked him with a still living branch. This would some day grow to become the Gulthias tree.

Eventually denizens of the earth moved in and waged war over the empty halls and tunnels. Goblins, Kobolds and worse soon came to call the citidel home.

Drawn by a rumor that the treasures of a bygone age still lay deep within the bowels of the sunless citidel, Talgen and Sharwyn Hucrele, along with Sir Braford of the Aster a local tracker named Karakas found and decended into the bowels of the sunless citidel never to be seen again.

Now their mother, Kerowyn Hucrele has become concerned and has begged Lord Randal Morn to hire adventurers to find her missing children.

And thus the adventure begins (this explains how he can offer salvage rights to the dungeon).

Edited by - Fendrikor on 27 Oct 2014 13:56:55
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  13:38:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even better, one of Alokkair's daughters (who is also an apprentice). He had two and they tried to overthrow him. He killed one, perhaps he raised her as a vampire later out of regret (even evil people can miss their family members after they murder them).

The history nearly matches up. The Shadowdale adventure says Alokkair backed Hlonagh before killing him, but that doesnt mean he couldnt have supported Hlonagh, been thrown out for intrigue and then besieged the citadel with an army of monsters before slaughtering him.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 27 Oct 2014 13:40:42
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  13:55:21  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EXCELLENT, the tomb will be that of one of his daughters - does it mention their names??

NOTE - I will rename the Gulthias tree (as Gulthias was the name of the vampire originally in the module) 'The Hlontwist'

Edited by - Fendrikor on 27 Oct 2014 14:00:27
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  14:10:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops, he had 3 daughters and killed two of them, my bad. (of course a secret to the tomb could be that it housed two vampires while everyone was looking for just one).

I've got nothing else on his daughters i'm afraid. I will have another look when im at home and can perform an indexed search of the files.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  15:21:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Following this topic (even though my current game is over on the Sword Coast).

Isn't there some sort of floating giant fortress around there somewhere? I have a very dim recollection of that. I am just trying to think of other possible tie-ins.
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

The history nearly matches up. The Shadowdale adventure says Alokkair backed Hlonagh before killing him, but that doesnt mean he couldnt have supported Hlonagh, been thrown out for intrigue and then besieged the citadel with an army of monsters before slaughtering him.

"Et tu, Alokair? Et tu?"

Its pretty common for 'supporters' to switch sides in politics when the winds start to blow differently.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Oct 2014 15:26:41
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  15:29:44  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Flaming Tower is somewhere north of Daggerdale, full of beholder cultists and Zhents (depending on what timeframe you run it in - assuming its not 4/5e) the tower was cleaned out at least once by adventurers so its inhabitants have changed

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  15:33:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I was just trying to find a map to help you guys (my incomplete 'Eastern Heartlands' map), and I have lots of maps (scaled to match the map) in my layers, and the one of Daggerdale simply says 'The lost', and I think that also appears on the map itself (its so tiny its not really legible). Anyone know where that map is from? Was it an adventure?

The Burning Tower & Temple in the sky (I can make out that much) does appear on the map.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Oct 2014 15:46:48
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  15:40:09  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lost refers to the village of elves that survived in the Border Forest after the fall of Netheril, presumable remnants from Rystall Wood. (Although for my alternate version of Netheril they could be fey'ri descendents mixed with elves to make them almost normal elves.)

Lanseril Snowmantle's father was supposedly the elder of the lost and when Lanseril gets captured the pcs have to travel to the Lost and get a scroll that unleashes a nature elemental that erases the settlement of Snowmantle which at the time was a Zhent logging camp anyway.

The lost dont like humans and stay well away from them normally.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  15:46:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that was very informative... but you didn't answer my question.

Where is all that from? I could probably find it myself, but you seem to know precisly where to look, and could save me some time.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  15:47:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoops, sorry. Ruins of Zhentil Keep i believe has the adventure; Felled Hopes, in it which details the Lost and Snowmantle.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  15:52:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great! Thanks! (I would have never thought to look there).

I really need to keep better notes...

Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  16:01:21  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have an idea -

Perhaps Alokair married one of his Daughters to Hlonagh to cement his position politically, but Hlonagh is not without his flaws - perhaps he figured out she was a spy for her father - and her had entombed alive (the dragon priests tomb area) for betraying the kingdom of Hlontar and perhaps securing their doom? Or something. This could also add another layer to Alokair's attack (not that he may care about her death really, but upon finding out she had been found out - perhaps he had to hasten his plans to attack Hlonagh's fortress before he could figure out how to prevent his coming doom.

or something.

Is there much on the nature of his betrayal?

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  16:16:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a good fit for an evil necromancer lich king.

The details i have of Alokkair are sparse. Just that he chose one of the minor warlords (Hlonagh) south of the River Tesh to support and helped him unite the land under his banner and found the kingdom of Hlontar in 536 DR.

Alokkair served Hlonagh as court wizard for a time but eventually betrayed his one time ally and became king himself.

In 569 DR, Alokkairs own daughters turned against him and turned his household guard and the people of Hlontar against the Wizard King. Alokkair destroyed two of his rebellious daughters but the youngest survived and overthrew him.

Alokkair fled to a secret lair and eventually became a lich.

Thats pretty much all we have. Plenty of ways to spin it though.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  16:26:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Suggestion?

Bloodstone seems way too far away. I would suggest having the 'Old Road' be the one that leads off to Tethyamer. Then you can have the Ravine & Sunless Citadel fall-out in the Giant's Craw valley to the SW.

EDIT: That would also put it in the vicinity of another ruin - Shraeven's Tomb. Its on the FRIA - does anyone know where that site is from? The FRIA even has a map of the tomb itself.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Oct 2014 16:31:34
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  16:43:12  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hrmm. Shraeyvn the weapons mage forged the sword of the dales (see the return of randal morn trilogy)

I dont know much about him per se either only that he made the sword at a time when the dales biggest threats were malarite lycanthropes in the daggerhills, and Wizard lords seeking to carve out... their own kingdoms... and then it clicked. Hlonagh probably existed around the same time as Shraeyvn.

I love the realms. it all makes sense now.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6352 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  16:46:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never made that connection before, but it does fit rather nicely. I will have to have a look at my notes on the arrival of the Dark Gods but i believe Malar was present prior to the arrival of Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul from the south (around the fall of Myth Drannor) so Alokkair the Wizard King and a few Malarites is probably all that afflicted the humans living around the fledgling dales at that time (500-600 DR).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  17:14:32  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vampires & Werewolves, Liches & Zhents... must suck to live in Daggerdale.

EDIT: Malar is listed as one of the 'Dark Seldarine' that made war on the Seldarine at Lolth's bequest, in the Evermeet novel. That makes him VERY old (perhaps even a 'primal power of the hunt').

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Oct 2014 17:18:00
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  17:41:39  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Progress for this evening

So here is Randal's Intro Spiel and my own custom hooked (I borrowed inspiration for the structure from Randal's hook in city of the spiderqueen)

'You arrive at the Hall of Lord Randal Morn, Ruler of Daggerdale. Randal morn has governed the war-torn dale for scant longer than a year now. Under his wise guidance, much of the damage done by the decades-long Zhent occupation is beginning to be repaired, and the folk of Daggerdale look with hope towards a prosperous future. The heroic story of Randal Morn's resisance against the Zhents and the Restoration of his throne are widely known throughout the dalelands'

'The Lord of Daggerdale does not stand on ceremony, personally greeting you at the doors. Leading you into a comfortable study lined with bookshelves, he calls for refreshments'

'Thankyou all for coming so quickly' he begins 'I have heard you have a reputation as courageous problem solvers. Well, i have a problem that needs solving'.

'Two weeks ago, a party of young adventurers set off on an expedition into the daggerhills and have since not returned. Two of the adventurers in the group, Talgen and Sharwyn Hucrele, are the children of a dear friend of mine. Her name is Kerowyn, and she has asked me to see them found and returned home safely. This is why I have summoned you... and I am willing to pay you well.

My court wizard divined their last where abouts to be in the vicinity of a Shadow filled Chasm on the western edge of the Dagger hills. Rumor has it at the bottom of the chasm are ancient ruins from a time before the dales were young. Ruins known locally only as The Sunless Citidel'

'I will pay each of you 125 gold coin for the return of the Hucreles, Double if they are alive and sound of mind. Are you up to the task?'

Edited by - Fendrikor on 27 Oct 2014 17:43:10
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  17:55:57  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rumor mill in daggerfalls

RUMOR MILL
DC 10 Gather information

1 - 'The high road' ran past 'Shadowfall Chasm' on its way through the daggerhills, but fell into disuse generations ago. No one knows for sure what the ruins at the bottom once were, but old legends hint that they are centuries old.

2 – 'Shadowfall Chasm' is said to be unaturally dark, even on a clear day. Many avoid it for fear of the monsters that live within.

3 – 'The cattle herders dont graze their stock too far afield these days. Theyre frightened by stories of strange new monsters that maraud by night. No one has seen these creatures, nor do they leave a discernible trail. However cattle and people who have been caught out alone have been found dead the next day, pierced by dozens of needle like claws.

4 – The missing adventurers included a Fighter (talgen), a Wizard (sharywn), a Ranger (Karakas) and a Knight of the Aster (Sir Braford). Sir Braford was said to have wielded a blade he called 'Shatterspike'.

5 – It is whispered that Sometimes the goblins offered another Apple at midwinter. This apple is corpse-white and utterly poisonous, even to the mere touch of the skin. The midnight market is said to be held at a secret location in the wilderness known only to those with the right contacts... It is thought that Lord Randal is seeking to find and stop this mid-winter market.

6 – Dinter, the half ogre barkeep at the Broken Dagger Tavern, remembers a time about thirteen years ago when a grim man in dark robes named Belak stopped by asking about the Sunless citidel. He assumed he was just another Blackrobe from Zhentil keep, as he had a very large pet Toad as a familiar.

Edited by - Fendrikor on 27 Oct 2014 17:57:07
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2014 :  18:09:25  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Overland encounters in daggerdale

I was not happy with the 'twigblights' only approach Sunless citidel takes to random encounters, but at the same time im a stickler for themed overland encounters.

Takeing inspiration from the 'Doom of Daggerdale' Random encounter chart, i have come up with these to represent what the players may find on the roads of daggerdale while traveling too and from the dungeon.

ENCOUNTERS: (Roll a d10)
During the day: 1-2
Night: 1-4
Off the beaten track: roll twice. 

Roll a d20 

1 – 2 : The Hills have Eyes (1 Spectator)
While trecking up a particularily steep hill slope a shadow falls across you, as against the sun appears a floating orb-like monster with several sinyewous eye stalks. It gives a shrill-cackle as it pivots down towards you – its spherical body entirely dominated by a puckering tooth filled mouth and a single cyclopean eye.

3 – Plummeting Birds (2 Bloodhawks)
These birds have decided to attack some likely prey in the party: A dog, gnome, halfling or familiar. They dive to strike from the sky, strike once and then try to make off with their chosen prey. If they cannot take it immediately, they take to the air again.

4-6 – Mercinary Patrol (Red Plumes)
(2d8+2 Guards with shields and Splint Mail AC 19) 
This rough looking group of mercinarys are dressed in splint mail with high red plumed helms. They are keeping the roads clear of bandits', but are not above abit of highway robbery and extortion themselves - especially if they encounter and harass groups of demihumans. They are a foot patrol, but will seek to stop and question the party. If the party contain any demi humans they will attempt to invent a case or set of accusations and suspicions of banditys (utter tripe ofcourse) unless ofcourse the party pay a bribe (about 1gp per red plume, per player). If so the Mercinarys go on their way. If fighting breaks out, the PC's best bet may be to outrun the plumes (who are slow in heavy armor). 

Each guard is carrying a bag of plunder containing : Silverware, crokery, iron goods and toold worth from 2-40 sp. NOTE: The splint mail reduces their speed to 20 feet. 

7 – 10 – Goblin Raiders
A goblin raiding party after food and plunder. They can be bought off with a bribe of 50 gold if the party looks strong and unwounded. If the PC's are wounded and outnumbered the goblins always attack. (2+d6 Goblins)

11 – Night Hunter
This attack only happens at night. Counts as no encounter during the day. A huge bat flys rapidly and silenty through the PC camp, snatching at leftovers, small animals (such as familiars) or other food. If attacked, it Screeches once and then flees with whatever it can carry. (1 Giant Bat)

12-13 – Twigblights 
This attack also only happens at night. Counts as no encounter during the day. A a bunch of twigblights jump the party from the undergrowth. They sound like rustling leaves in the wind. If killed they resemble a loose pile of twigs. (D6+2 Twig Blights)

14 – The Ogre from the hills (1 Ogre)
An ogre has come down from the Daggerhills to find rich pickings. He has little of real value though he thinks he has done really well. His enormous sack contains: 2 Venison Haunches, a set of burnt wild boar ribs, a skinned but uncooked rabbit on a stick, a dented dwarven helmet, a wheel from a cart, 38 bones that havent yet been cracked for marrow (deer, boar and dwarf), and a slightly bloodied set of bejeweled bronze beard clasps of dwarven make worth 250gp, or 500gp to an dwarven buyer. 

15-16 – Freedom Riders
A large patrol of freedom riders are closing in on the location of Midnight market, seeking to stop it before it happens (on the 31st of Hammer). Scout captain Reiner Trall has tracked the goblins to a rocky outcrop not far from Sunstone. Now riding back with a squad of freedom riders, he intends to strike quickly. Extra blades are always appreciated.
(10 Mounted Guards, 1 Mounted Scout ) 

17-18 – Lurkers in the Woods (d4+4 Wolves)
These wolves have fed well lately, and are uninterested in the party unless they are fed scraps or the party appears wounded and weak. Regardless of when they are encountered, the wolves will not attack until nightfall, prefering to remain just out of sight in the shadows of the forest undergrowth until after sunset. 

19 – Highwaymen (d12+4 bandits on Light warhorses in Ringmail (AC 14))
Cowards to a man, these shiftless warriors don't want to risk real battles as mercinaries, so they prey on the weak and the helpless. 

If they outnumber a group by 2 to one or more they will demand a toll. If not they will be seen watching from a safe distance (like a hill top or a farmstead camp). If they are refused, they attack and will take everything they can. If two or more of them are killed, the others flee. The bandits have not robbed anyone yet and have no treasure. 

20 – Leucrotta (1)
A cry of distress from the scrubland nearby rings out... a moment later it crys again, more distressed than before. It sounds like a horse in distress. Upon running into the underbrush they find a glade with a number of deer tracks padded around and the bones of a wildhorse, probably dead for weeks. While they are puzzling over this, the Leucrotta attacks from ambush. If it feels it is losing, it kicks someone and flees into the wilderness. 

Edited by - Fendrikor on 28 Oct 2014 14:54:05
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  09:19:14  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Renamed Shadowfall Chasm, Shadowfall Gulch. History (obscure, DC 20) will note the Gulch was created by Alokkair during the destruction of Hlontar.

Also replacing the Snowstorm encounter with an ACTUAL calander of the weather from the 22nd of Hammer or the 22nd of Alturiek (taken from Forgotten realms helps Dandillo's weather thingo)

I will replace this instead with something else, perhaps a little beholder (like a spectator). The daggerhills 'do' have beholders. even little ones.

The Citidel

1 - Dropped all the climb DC's down the cliff by 2 (to DC 12), Kept the knotted rope at DC 0. Graffiti is still written in goblin.

2 - Original 3 Dire rats replaced with 8 Giant Rats. Decided they would be far too powerful attacking all at once, so the players get 1 round notice to 'hear' the rats coming (if they make noise they ring the dinnerbell). The rats come in 3 waves, seperated by a turn (3,2,3). I figured staggering the encounter is the only way to make it fair.

3 - No change to the stair, except reducing the balance check by 2.

4- Pit contains 1 rat still, but when the trap is sprung - 2 more rats emerge from the rubble and attack those above the trap 1 round later.

5 - No change, changed Ashardalon inscription (Draconic). Also made the goblin pinned to the base of a big marble statue of a wizard in an Alcove of Hlonagh himself. It will read 'Hlonagh, Lord of Hlontar'.

6 - The hidden neich. Changed the Skeletons to 'Hlontarran Skeletons', clad in ruined scraps of breastplate, wielding Ransuers. 1 in 6 have a Ransuer chambered Wand of magic missile (2 charges, D4+1 damage. d4+2 remaining charges). Upped the number from 3 to 4. Changed the gold and silver on the skeletons to Electrum and platinum (same values). I figure these made more sense as netherese currency.

7 - Changed the number of rats from 2 to 6. Again, the party may spot '1' hiding in the rubble. if they try to attack it, all 6 flood out instead. Changed the Dragon priests tomb to the Tomb of Alekkra, daughter of Alokkair, bride of Hlonagh - 1st queen of Hlontar. Changed the 'Bust' of the rearing dragon on the tomb door, to instead to an alien depiction of Jergal, the Lord of the end of everything (Netherese god of death). It cannot be bashed down, no matter what they do. It will 'shatter' any sledge hammer brought to bare upon it. Only the Tomb Key can open it.

8 - The Chamber of Forlorn Notes. Instead of 'Making people panic and run' The notes instead cause confusion. Dropped the DC's by 2. The confusion effect ends if a player flees beyond 20 feet of an open entry way (Recovering 1 round later).

9 - Arrow trap replaced with an eldritch blast trap (Reason being, it still rolls to hit. It deals d10 damage, so its dangerous enough to be taken seriously). Any step on the floor in the chamber triggers the blasts. On either side of the door will be a statue of a wizard with their hands open and outstretched towards the entry. The shots will fire from each randomly. Disabling the statues could involve either destroying the statues, or reaching them and disaling the statues up close (a switch behind each).

10 - The Riddle chamber. A Statue of Alekkra herself. This riddle was initially intended to be a sentimental thing for Hlonagh when he came to the tomb to visit her sarcophagus (he did love her, he just felt betrayed). Insert sentimental riddle here (Any ideas??). It will be spoken in Loross. this may be hard to get past, so ill also include the secret door. But if they force, it the statue comes to life (a Caryatid Collumn) and attacks (A precaution against tomb robbers). IF the riddle is answered, the door opens by itself.

11 - The Tomb Approach. Upped Jots hitpoints from 7 to 18. Jot still will make a single attacks and flee. Tracks will be 'centipede tracks'.

12 - Tomb of Alekkra, her body will have long since rotted to dust. I am thinking she may either be a Deathlock, A Flameskull or Wraith of some kind. Either way, opening her Sarcophagus unleashes the vengeful insane spirit of Alokkair's daughter. I 'Was' considering a ghost. but it may be too strong for this adventure. so something far more wretched is required.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  15:15:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looks good.... makes me want to run this. Too bad I am already in the middle of the Lost Mine of Phandelver.

Now you've guys piqued my interest and got me working on a map of Daggerdale.

Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  15:24:15  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
:) Glad to be of service Markustay!

I looked through lost empires of Faerun, and discovered 'Shatter Rings' of netheril, which function as alternative wands. Thus, on the Hlontaran skeletons i replaced the 'chambered' magic missile wands (mounted in the ransuers) to instead be Lesser Shatter Rings, the skeletons simply clench their fist - point and shoot (for full magic missily effect... only d4+1 charges remain however).

I also removed the Statue of Hlonagh, and replaced it with a 'carven likeness' (statues would have fallen over when the citidel fell).

Changed the quasit's name (room 11) from Jot to Ghozer... i find it more amusing (and it is a ghost busters reference).

Loross script has become a problem in the Riddle room, some how i dont think any of the party members would have a clue how to understand a riddle in fluent Loross. Especially when it is this..

'Some try to hide, some try to cheat, but time will show, we always will meet, Try as you might, to guess my name, I promise you'll know, when you I do claim'

To this end i have also just put in the secret door and made it 'forceable' with some sledge hammers, or a crowbar and some gumpton. However at the same time i have made the riddle statue into a Caryatid collumn in disguise (Animating and attacking should they try to force the secret door instead of answering the riddle)

And as for tonight - here is my work on Alekkra's tomb...

12 – Alekkra's Tomb

'Violet-hued marble tiles cover the floor and walls, though all are cracked or broken, revealing rough hewn stone beneath. Wall sconces are attached to the walls at each corner, but only one still bears a torch, and it burns with a tiny, greenish light. A stone sepulchur, covered in gorgeous, shining copper leaf stands in the middle of the chamber, and time worn copper clasps securely fasten the lid to the rest of the coffin. The lid is carved to resemble a human beautiful woman. The room is otherwise bare'

The Flame – Is an ever burning torch which looks like normal flame bar for its green colour.

The Latches - Six copper latches hold down the sarcophagus lid. Each one is stubbornly stuck, requiring a strength check (DC 19) to undo.

When all six are undone, the lid can be pushed off.

What lays inside – Inside the sarcophagus amidst Alekkra's crumbling bones rests a ceremonial electrum masterworked dagger with a bloodstone pomel Gemstone, a ring (worth 5), an amulet (worth 10), and two bracelets (15 gp each). Scattered across the bottom of the sarcophagus are 44 electrum pieces and 5 platinum. In addition two arcane spell scrolls written on crumbling papyrus (1st level spell Comprehend Languages, and the 3rd level spell Protection from Energy)

Alekkra – (CR 3)
When Alekkra is freed from her tomb she hovers up out of the sarcophagus with an intense, burbling wail. She appears as a hovering skull wreathed in green flames which resemble hair, her eyes glow green aswell, and a spectral barely perceptable body can be seen below her – though her skull is the only tangible part of her. She then begins to scream in Loross script that 'Hlonagh! I will have revenge for what you did to me' 'Hlontar will fall! My father Alokirr will unmake everything you have built' 'I hate you for this! I have always hated you!'

Alekkra cannot cast fireball.

Tactics – Alekkra will begin by attacking with her eye rays, she will split them over seperate targets (unless no other target presents itself). On her second round she casts blur, casting shield when struck with magic missiles. She is insane and has no method to her attacks, simply attacking the nearest or most threatening creatures.

When destroyed her skull crumbles into fragments and dust. But a dim green light still lingers in the sockets (until holy water is poured upon her).

Edited by - Fendrikor on 28 Oct 2014 15:36:58
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  15:47:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, now I am confused. When you said 'Bloodstone' I thought you meant THE Bloodstone, over in Vassa/Damara (although Bloodstone itself is mined throughout the Galena Mountains, and we could therefor theorize a connection via the small kingdoms that popped-up around the same time Alokkair was active - perhaps he had dealings with that other lich from the Hulburg region). Now I see on one map that the 'Undead Castle' is called Bloodstone. Is that official? Where is that from?

So now I better comprehend where you were coming from when you said, "The old road used to run up to highstone, but fell into disuse when Highstone fell and was renamed Bloodstone". Where is this Highstone/Bloodstone lore from?

Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  22:04:05  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://forgotten-realms.wandering-dwarf.com/daggerdale/nj.php not truly official but I like their work :) bloodstone/highstone exists here

Edited by - Fendrikor on 28 Oct 2014 22:43:12
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  22:24:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Undead Castle itself is canon - its in the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas (there is even a map of it). That means it had to be in a product somewhere. What I am trying to determine is whether the name 'bloodstone' is also official, or was that just an affectation of the Daggerdale (homebrew) project.

I'd consider Castle Dunbarton canon, though, since it was created by Eric Boyd. The rest on that map, though - its a bit 'busy' for my tastes - the dales are supposed to be very 'rural'. All have several smaller settlements (even Shadowdale - I know of 3), but that map shows an awful lot.

EDIT: Okay, I've checked all the pertinent sources (seems Daggerdale is the 'Darkmoon Vale' of the Realms - a lot of adventures were set there), and I can't seem to find it (unless I missed it). So I guess I'll have to prod someone...

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Oct 2014 22:55:19
Go to Top of Page

Fendrikor
Learned Scribe

Australia
189 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  23:19:57  Show Profile Send Fendrikor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of trading bloodstones with smaller kingdoms in the region, it gives me an idea that perhaps Alokkair gave his daughter Alekkra a bloodstone dagger to kill Hlonagh with in their marital bed. Failing this, she was entombed alive with the dagger.

I tend to just nothing the details on the map i dont really need. Most of the villages on there are hamlets, or ruins. Which is good for plotting overland journeys (and safe stop spots).

And as much as it is homebrew, i have found it very useful for lack of a more complete history of the dale (as i ran city of the spider queen, i LOVE that in converting sunless citidel i have found out even more about the dale! finding out that Hlontar existed in the Teshar valley before hand answered so many questions for me).

but i am open to all intepretations of the dale (i enjoyed Cyril Lockner's work on this, havent seen him on the forum much lately though). If yourself or Dazzlerdal have a take on it, i would also be keen to see :)

Todays thoughts

Kobolds in 3.0 were cr 1/4 , where as in 5th they are 1/8. This dramatically increases the number of kobolds per encounter... which in some cases will be overkill.

Thus. I am considering adding 1-2 Urds (winged kobolds 1/4) to a fight. The only trouble would be mobility. Luckily the Sunless citidel rooms are described as being rather large, so i could have the Urds fly through the rafters throwing down debris to make the fights somewhat interesting.

the other thing is the Kobold queen, found later in. I am considering makeing her an Urd (or even, the only urd) and keeping whatever spell casting abilities she had (i think she was magical.. not at my computer so i cant check).

The other idea is to have the normal encounter worth of kobolds, and have the 'extra CR difference' in kobolds arrive on the second and third turns to join the fighting.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000