Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dust Desert/Raurin?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  10:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there more lore available than FRCS, Old Empires, Shining South, and Lost Empires of Faerun. So far I have only found campaign hooks, short bits of ancient history, and a couple of rumors. I was really hoping for something more substantial on current conditions/events.

Thanks!

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  11:18:36  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off the top of my head, there's a bit of info in The Horde set and you can extrapolate some info from the Desert of Desolation, though that source is a little scattered as it wasn't originally designed for the Realms.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  12:12:46  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Off the top of my head, there's a bit of info in The Horde set and you can extrapolate some info from the Desert of Desolation, though that source is a little scattered as it wasn't originally designed for the Realms.

I thought Bruce Cordell had a novel set here as well.

There might also be some info "buried" in Underdark.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  12:57:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, Bruce's novel (Darkvision) covered Durpar, and even then, just barely.

Mark Sehestedt has written at least two novels set in that region, and I believe he has a 3rd there as well (one I didn't read, about Lythari... I think).

Also, the Hordelands modules contain a lot of cross-over history for all three settings (FR, KT, and The Horde). Funny, but although its related, it doesn't touch upon Zakhara, where the Durpari people originated from - the Imaskari are an offshoot of Durpari (actually, when you blend the histories together, you see that the Durpari & Imaskari were both part of the original Muhjari group, which is the one that migrated up from Zakhara).

Blending the histories together into one unified Hordelands history is very difficult - I've tried several times in the past. FR is the easy part (there was little cross-contamination thanks to Thay and Mulhorand), but KT history itself has some continuity problems (so those need to be 'patched' 1st), and then we have Zakhara, who's history only goes back 1000 years (that we know of... which is our 'out'). Anyhow, the reason why I love that area so much is because it is the meeting-point of the three major Torillian settings, and has SO MUCH potential.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2014 :  13:18:20  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little off-topic but I always considered KTs continuity problems to the fact that Shou Emperors could change recorded history when it suited them.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2014 :  22:21:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was a big part of it. Depending on what you read, sometimes the 'good guys' were the 'bad guys', and vice-versa (Tan chin and The Black Leopard jump immediately to mind).

There were at least two different stashes of 'clay soldiers' - clay golems or perhaps even some form of Imaskari automata, which required a living 'soul' (or heart, or brain, etc). Only the Emperor (in both cases) could activate them. Since that emperor was Tan Chin, and he originated in Imaskar, one can postulate all sorts of intriguing theories. I think WotC missed the boat big-time with that one: it wouldn't have been much of a stretch to import Eberron's Warforged over (in an article - nothing 'official') and say they are extremely rare and 'come from the East'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000