Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Reaver *Spoilers*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  15:15:47  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As many who have read the Reaver know, Lathander is back, and Amaunator, at least for now, is out of action. An explanation for this is that whenever Lathander feels the world needs a force of stability he turns into Amaunator, and vice-versa. Based on that, hypothetically speaking, is it possible that Lathander could turn into a third incarnation, that representing dusk with the aim of destabilizing the realms before rising again as Lathander and renewing the cycle?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Edited by - mhamza on 18 Oct 2014 15:26:17

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  15:57:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lathander is the Force!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  23:45:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe there is a third aspect of the sun god in Realmslore, but I'm blanking on the name.

Anyway, if you want a little peek behind the curtain, the decision to bring Lathander came first, and the justification that I devised for it in THE REAVER came afterward, when I was trying to have the novel make some kind of sense. On the meta level, Lathander's back because he's more fun than Amaunator.
Go to Top of Page

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2014 :  23:51:51  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

I believe there is a third aspect of the sun god in Realmslore, but I'm blanking on the name.

Anyway, if you want a little peek behind the curtain, the decision to bring Lathander came first, and the justification that I devised for it in THE REAVER came afterward, when I was trying to have the novel make some kind of sense. On the meta level, Lathander's back because he's more fun than Amaunator.

That's good to read. In terms of realms deities, I'd pick the well-intentioned but reckless Lathander over stable and reliable Amaunator any day of the week. Not that Amaunator's bad but Lathander is more interesting.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  01:57:50  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, thank you Richard. I completely agree that Lathander > Amaunator and it's good to know that he's back.

I also remember a third sun god being mentioned, in an in-game sages' theory that Lathander represents the morning, Amaunator is highsun, and somebody else would fit in as afternoon.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  02:09:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a theory that Myrkul, Lathandar, and Myrkul are all linked, and possibly even one multi-faced deity.

Me, I have a lot of issues with the idea and really dislike it.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  06:24:48  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did you mean Moander instead of one of those Myrkuls, Wooly? I seem to remember something about this trio too, and thinking it was bizarre.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  11:20:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

Did you mean Moander instead of one of those Myrkuls, Wooly? I seem to remember something about this trio too, and thinking it was bizarre.

Nope, Myrkul. Tossing Moander into the mix, instead, is an idea I thought of, entirely unsupported by canon.

Go to Top of Page

mhamza
Seeker

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2014 :  22:12:08  Show Profile Send mhamza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Admittedly, this is a long shot, and I'm not even sure if it fits the timeline but what it Jergal is linked with them instead of Myrkul? He did possess the portfolio of dusk before the Lord of Bones, and didn't he lose it around the same time Amaunator started to transform into Lathander?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000