Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cath-Shee
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  17:00:41  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Cath Shee

I have had an idea drawing inspiration from a couple of recent scrolls. I envision an elven shapeshifter (non-lycan) similar to the elven lythari. Instead of wolves, their preffered secondary form would be that of the elven cat Cath Shee. I would like to retain their teleport without error ability in lieu of the lythari's ability to access faerie gates and such. Does this seem unreasonable or outlandish?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 08 Oct 2014 17:23:56

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  17:12:00  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ifn' such a creature were to be, think you the teleport ability would be accessible in elf skin?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  17:53:32  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 'feystepping' elven werecat? I like it.

Probably sponsored by both unseelie and seelie court fey, they can make for a terrifying or hilarious encounter!

I'd allow the teleport within 300ft ability to work in both forms but limit it somehow. Perhaps allow it only in forested areas and in the Faerie Realms. Beyond those areas the were-cath shee's feystep ability is perhaps limited to once every 1d6 rounds?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  19:28:04  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is hilarious about a 200 pound kitty instantly pouncing on your back from 100 yards away? Zoinks! Unless, of course, you find the sound of cracking vertebrae, rending flesh and arterial spray humorous. I guess the look on the doomed creatures face would be worth a laugh as long as it wasn't me.

Cooshee, Cath-shee. I assume the -shee suffix denotes elven. The elven word lythari, is there an Elven-to-Common translation? Also, is there a something-something-Quessir phrase used to identify the wolf-elves?

Cathari?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 08 Oct 2014 19:57:36
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  19:37:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and Sage (or any other fan of the Harry Dresden Files) which book from the aforementioned series featured Cath-Shee as a character? Winter Knight?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 08 Oct 2014 19:38:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  21:21:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Oh, and Sage (or any other fan of the Harry Dresden Files) which book from the aforementioned series featured Cath-Shee as a character? Winter Knight?

Cat Sith is in Cold Days.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  21:26:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What is hilarious about a 200 pound kitty instantly pouncing on your back from 100 yards away? Zoinks! Unless, of course, you find the sound of cracking vertebrae, rending flesh and arterial spray humorous. I guess the look on the doomed creatures face would be worth a laugh as long as it wasn't me.

Cooshee, Cath-shee. I assume the -shee suffix denotes elven. The elven word lythari, is there an Elven-to-Common translation? Also, is there a something-something-Quessir phrase used to identify the wolf-elves?

Cathari?

I believe "shee" comes from the pronunciation of the Irish sidh, which originally referred to hills and mounds in the Irish countryside, believed to be inhabited by supernatural types such as faeries or elves. Later, the term kinda morphed, referring to the people themselves, instead of their believed dwelling places. The word Sidhe is a common variant of it, used in a lot of modern fantasy.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  21:36:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the idea, here, though I'd not call them cathari... I'm not sure of the -thari suffix, but the ly- prefix is obvious from lycan-, the generic wolf prefix. Perhaps fellari, feliri, felthari, or something like that, drawing from feline, or ailthari or ailouri (ailurophobes are afraid of cats).

Teleport without error is a powerful ability. I'd very much limit that if this is a PC race. Perhaps have it be aged-based, with younger (or lower level) catelves having something like blink, before developing that to dimension door, then teleport, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  22:18:35  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the issue of silver-vulnerability, I've seen contradictory opinions regarding the lythari. What do you think about the issue and these elf-cats?

What do you think, Wooly, of them using their feystep in elf-form?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 09 Oct 2014 01:01:53
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  22:39:55  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Teleport without error is a powerful ability. I'd very much limit that if this is a PC race. Perhaps have it be aged-based, with younger (or lower level) catelves having something like blink, before developing that to dimension door, then teleport, etc.

In 5e, possibly dimension door once between short and long rests seems reasonable, no?

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  23:04:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

quote:

In 5e, possibly dimension door once between short and long rests seems reasonable, no?

I'm not that much of a rules person, and I've barely looked at 5E. I'm playing Pathfinder, myself, right now, and it's my first time doing PnP gaming in a very long time.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2014 :  23:07:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the issue of silver-vulnerability, I've seen contradictory opinions regarding the lythari. What do you think about the issue and these elf-cats?

Despite the 3E classification, lythari were originally not lycanthropes (or, more properly, therianthropes), and should not have the same vulnerabilities/limitations.

Lythari are elves with an animal form. They cannot pass on their ability to others, without a ritual, and they don't have a hybrid form. They are not lycanthropes.

I would do the ailouri (favoring that name) the same way, myself.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  00:56:30  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Bladewind had a good idea. Shouldn't be difficult to modify the 4e feystep to fit 3e/PF and either limit the number of uses per day and/or distance traveled per jump. Maybe additional Feats could enhance this ability.

What do you think, Wooly, of their ability to feystep in elven-form?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 09 Oct 2014 01:05:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  01:12:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to read up on feystep, honestly, and review the older material on lythari. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  01:14:18  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And if no silver vulnerability, would that also mean no DR/fast healing? I'll have to check the 2e CBoE. It was there, I think, that the lythari were first introduced without having a Lycanthrope template slapped on for convenience's sake

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 09 Oct 2014 01:14:56
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  01:22:23  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm kinda diggin' ailouri myself (though I prefer the aeolouri spelling.) Consider it swiped. Thanks for your input.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 09 Oct 2014 01:26:26
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  01:32:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the idea, here, though I'd not call them cathari... I'm not sure of the -thari suffix, but the ly- prefix is obvious from lycan-, the generic wolf prefix. Perhaps fellari, feliri, felthari, or something like that, drawing from feline, or ailthari or ailouri (ailurophobes are afraid of cats).

My vote for name would be Felithari if you want to keep the thari.... another option would be Felidhari... to give some homage to Felidae and the Sidhe spelling too.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  01:37:52  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also a good one. I had considered that.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  01:56:37  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aeluroidea

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  02:01:03  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

And if no silver vulnerability, would that also mean no DR/fast healing? I'll have to check the 2e CBoE. It was there, I think, that the lythari were first introduced without having a Lycanthrope template slapped on for convenience's sake

Elves of Evermeet not CBoE. It does state that they are hit only by silver or magical weapons. No mention of special susceptibility to Wolfsbane. I always liked that true lycans had herbal weaknesses. And, of course, no forced shape change during a full moon, though I suspect they have some connection, or, at the very least, respect it's power because of the fact most revere Selune/Sehanine. I think I'll ask Elaine.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 09 Oct 2014 03:54:42
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  03:50:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This may even warrant a new PrC. I'm thinking Moonshadow Stalkers to be ever-vigilant against the agents of both Shar and Malar.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  04:44:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I forgot that Elves of Evermeet did give them the silver/magic weapon resistance thing.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2014 :  04:45:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm kinda diggin' ailouri myself (though I prefer the aeolouri spelling.) Consider it swiped. Thanks for your input.

Aeolouri is good. It's not as blatantly derivative as ailouri (though I do still like it).

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  08:50:06  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anybody recognize this pic and know the artist or from whence it came?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 10 Oct 2014 08:52:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  12:33:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Does anybody recognize this pic and know the artist or from whence it came?

Google is your friend.

http://art-of-fantasy.org/pics/details/190.html

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  16:42:38  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not lycanthropes, but skinwalker Druids of Rillifane Rallathil can possibly transform themselves into Cath Shee. But I think they don't keep the teleport ability, considering the rules that govern a druid's shapechange.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  17:59:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Not lycanthropes, but skinwalker Druids of Rillifane Rallathil can possibly transform themselves into Cath Shee. But I think they don't keep the teleport ability, considering the rules that govern a druid's shapechange.

Interestingly, they can't turn into wolves. I've always thought there was a connection, there, though I've never come up with a good one.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  18:46:02  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves of Evermeet (and then Demihuman Deities) says that they probably cannot turn into wolves probably because the lythari were once druids linked to wolf spirits, but their bond became so strong that sometime in their history they rose as a new race. So, wolf form would be restricted to them.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2014 :  19:48:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

Elves of Evermeet (and then Demihuman Deities) says that they probably cannot turn into wolves probably because the lythari were once druids linked to wolf spirits, but their bond became so strong that sometime in their history they rose as a new race. So, wolf form would be restricted to them.

The thing is, though, it doesn't really explain why it would be restricted. Sure, I can get one group becoming so strongly bonded that it becomes practically second nature, but that's still not a racial change, and it still doesn't explain why someone else wouldn't be able to do the same thing.

We've never seen the lythari having a particular reverence for Rillifance. I'm not saying it's not there, but there is a difference between an ability granted to priests and an ability granted to an entire race, regardless of their divine affinity. Similarly, there is no mention of a reverence for Rillifane required for the ritual that turns non-lythari into lythari.

It is my suspicion that there was something the proto-lythari (those who were wolf skinwalkers of Rillifane and who became the first lythari) did that forever set them apart and marked them as special to Rillifane. It would have been some great service, performed as a group -- something epic, like perhaps slaying a demigod that threatened Rillifane, or stopping some dire threat to an elven community. As a reward, he made the wolf change be something innate to and limited to them.

Elaine's lythari have that gating ability that isn't in their official write-ups... There could be some connection there, too, I think. Perhaps there was some form of "elf wolf" (lyshee?) that had that ability, and those proto-lythari became unified with those wolves... Or maybe that's something that only some lythari know; a learned ability they get.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  00:19:37  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4e, but a good start for my Moonshadow Stalkers. Alright crap that. There appears to be a 4e D or D article that helps. I cannot provide a link other than "Shadows of the Moonbow." Apologies to the mods if I'm violating copyright. Feel free to delete, modify, or chastise. I didn't write or post it.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Oct 2014 08:08:48
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2014 :  08:07:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody know the source of the ''Wild'' armor special property? From what I understand, it allows shapeshifting without having to shed your armor and (less importantly than having to strip) allowing you to keep armor bonuses while in wildshape.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Oct 2014 08:34:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000