Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How do the dark eight compare to the lords of hell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2014 :  06:56:10  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just over all, how do the dark eight, compare as far as influence and strength, against the other lords of hell, as far as an origination .

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2014 :  18:21:25  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say they really don't compare. Think of them as military generals, and the lords of the nine more as governors or feudal lords. The eight are the servants of the nine.

Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2014 :  18:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I would say they really don't compare. Think of them as military generals, and the lords of the nine more as governors or feudal lords. The eight are the servants of the nine.

This, except that the Dark Eight only directly answer to Asmodeus. They and their organizational structure operate parallel to the various lords of the nine. They don't directly compare and have radically different spheres of influence.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2014 :  20:00:56  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From a perspective of personal power any LotN could easily cursh any of the D8. For a perspective of politial power no LotN (except Asmodeus) would dare to do so
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2014 :  22:57:45  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shemmy

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

This, except that the Dark Eight only directly answer to Asmodeus. They and their organizational structure operate parallel to the various lords of the nine. They don't directly compare and have radically different spheres of influence.

What I would love to have seen 4e explore is what happened to the dynamic between pit fiends and archdevils in light of the Blood War ending. It always seemed to be that the Blood War gave pit fiends a level of influence that was nearly on par with the Lords of the Nine. The absence of the Blood War should have shuffled the power structure within the Hells.

I will also be interested to see if any author deals with the shifts in power structure that result from Asmodeus losing his divinity. The Brimstone Angels novels foreshadowed this event, and the return of Azuth makes it a near certainty. It's time for someone else to rule the Hells anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2014 :  23:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

What I would love to have seen 4e explore is what happened to the dynamic between pit fiends and archdevils in light of the Blood War ending. It always seemed to be that the Blood War gave pit fiends a level of influence that was nearly on par with the Lords of the Nine. The absence of the Blood War should have shuffled the power structure within the Hells.

I will also be interested to see if any author deals with the shifts in power structure that result from Asmodeus losing his divinity. The Brimstone Angels novels foreshadowed this event, and the return of Azuth makes it a near certainty. It's time for someone else to rule the Hells anyway.

Unfortunately that only made sense within the 4e core world, where the different back stories for the Abyss and the Hells made a stop in the Blood War rational. Within the main planar continuity outside of the PoL setting, not so much, and I'd prefer to view it as all a case of 'mortal sages interpreted less Blood War influence on Toril and with respect to Toril's gods as a global pause, whereas in reality it never did, and continued to rage on with the same intensity'.

I'd really like to see as much continuity of planar lore as possible as 5e touches on the planes, and some things I've seen so far are positive in that direction, but there are also some things that just don't make any sense at all (altered 'loth origin story, 5e tieflings lacking the diversity of classic tieflings and excluding all but devil-blooded origins in the PHB).

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.

Edited by - Shemmy on 07 Oct 2014 00:13:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000