Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Welcome to the Candlekeep Forums
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

AliMaClan
Acolyte

Canada
15 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  15:07:14  Show Profile Send AliMaClan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail and well met,
Having returned to the sunlit uplands of my youthful pursuits, I am searching for a suitable tome to begin my studies...

After a 35year hiatus from dungeoning and high fantasy, my son has become an avid D&D player and I have fallen under its spell again.
But where to begin in my study of lore?
I wonder if any kind and learned soul would direct me to the "must reads" section of the library?

Exiled from the realms for 35 years on a quest for the lost chord. I return empty handed to resume my studies...
Go to Top of Page

The Cavalier
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2020 :  19:18:57  Show Profile Send The Cavalier a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello all!

Been an avid collector of FR novels starting some years ago, with the whole quarantine I decided it was about time to dust off my novels and finally read through the collection. Also DMing a campaign based in Baldur's Gate, and am currently writing a piece of fiction/a love letter to the FR, so I'll likely be asking questions for both in the near future. Finally hope to encounter some friendly people here who share my passion for the setting!

See you all in the forums!

If there's anything I've learned as a DM, it's never give the players access to a Wish spell in the first session.
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2020 :  23:01:10  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have got to say that this place has been my secret weapon for running my various modified OOTA runs.

Thank you scholars.
@Patt

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2020 :  01:44:46  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AliMaClan
I wonder if any kind and learned soul would direct me to the "must reads" section of the library?

"Everything is a 'must read'" is the only correct answer here, AliMaClan! Best solution is to figure out exactly what you're interested in, and start a thread on it (or do a search to see if there is one already).

And The Cavalier, we're all friendly here! And passionate, as well.

....and a bit weird, too (pay no attention to the giant hamster over in the corner)

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2020 :  02:05:04  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yo, hype to me getting my first star after literally just talking about Out Of The Abyss for 3 years.
@Patt

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

tangelo1023
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2020 :  17:51:40  Show Profile Send tangelo1023 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, happy to be here. Been chronologically reading everything in the Realms and I'm hoping to finish before BG3 is out.
Go to Top of Page

Wendolyn
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2020 :  16:23:16  Show Profile Send Wendolyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings all!

Started my Dungeons and Dragons journey back in 2nd edition AD&D and have been playing and proselytizing ever since. I've mostly done my own homebrew campaigns, but over the past few years I've started gravitating more and more to running sessions set in the Forgotten Realms and I have found this forum a great resource. I still have so many burning questions about the realms, like "where do souls come from?" and the best leads I've got have always come from the scribes of Candlekeep. So I decided to stop lurking and join in the fun!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

0 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  14:56:23  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, everyone. Like Wendolyn above me, I'm not new to running games, but I'm just starting to run my games in this world. I've always been a big fan of the Baldur's Gate games, and I'm looking forward to learning more about the Forgotten Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2020 :  23:14:02  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, new Scribes.

Glad to see some new faces wandering around these halls of knowledge. Enjoy thy stay herein.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Candelero58
Acolyte

Spain
0 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2020 :  10:08:08  Show Profile Send Candelero58 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello! Greetings from Spain. Sorry because my English isn't full.
I have read the FR novels in Spanish, but not all are translated so I start to read the novels in English. I hope I can learn more in this forum.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2020 :  16:22:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Candelero58

Hello! Greetings from Spain. Sorry because my English isn't full.
I have read the FR novels in Spanish, but not all are translated so I start to read the novels in English. I hope I can learn more in this forum.

Don't worry about your English. It's a sad truth that a lot of folks that speak English as a native tongue still can't speak it well.

(and even fewer have anything even approaching fluency in another language)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Nov 2020 16:22:30
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2020 :  12:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Candelero58

Welcome to Candlekeep. There are many knowledgable scribes herein and a vast amount of tomes of lore to feast your eyes upon. Enjoy your stay.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Athreeren
Learned Scribe

128 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2021 :  10:08:51  Show Profile Send Athreeren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone! I am amazed by the erudition of the sages here, and the level of attention given to the most minute details, to make the Realms feel like a lived place. I look forward to having all my strangest questions answered in ways that will certainly lead to more!
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2021 :  00:40:28  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Athreeren
Hello everyone! I am amazed by the erudition of the sages here, and the level of attention given to the most minute details, to make the Realms feel like a lived place. I look forward to having all my strangest questions answered in ways that will certainly lead to more!

Welcome welcome, Athreeren! The best bit of advice I can offer is, if you ask a question (strange or otherwise!) and don't happen to get any reply;

ask another!

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

rredmond
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2021 :  20:48:13  Show Profile  Visit rredmond's Homepage Send rredmond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome Athreeren!
Be well and be welcome!

OS RPG PbP Games: www.unseenservant.us
Go to Top of Page

Imagus
Acolyte

0 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2021 :  03:20:45  Show Profile Send Imagus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi folks!

My name is Imagus, and I hail thee from Down Under. I'm searching for knowledge and good conversation about the Realms and all things D&D. I hope I can contribute however tiny my own lore may be.

Praise you for the opportunity.

Cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Wizard 14
Acolyte

Greece
0 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2021 :  13:27:44  Show Profile Send Wizard 14 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hellos from Greece. I love the aesthetic of the forum and the main website. I'm a complete beginner as far as DnD goes. I grew up away from cities and nobody I knew played DnD, but I was attracted by the game nonetheless. I started reading the Dragonlance Saga recently, as well as the Dragonlance Chronicles (i.e. I'm reading the stories and the graphic novel adaptations). I'm getting to know the game better so I can organize a campaign for friends and family (I'm thinking 2e ADND).
I prefer the earlier editions of DnD mainly because of the art and the adult aesthetic, but also because of the simple mechanics.
I'll stick around and read as much as I can. Thanks for having me
Go to Top of Page

ColourCodedQuotes
Acolyte

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  09:10:15  Show Profile Send ColourCodedQuotes a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta start somewhere, so I'll start with a post here!

Hello everyone, I've been playing DnD for about 10-11 months now, but have long considered doing so. I've also been DM'ing for about 7 months now, because I just couldn't get enough. I've also fallen with love with the mess that is Forgotten Realms lore, mostly because it *is* a mess, and I love that chaos and uncertainy, and how that can fuel my creativity as both a DM and a character. It means I have a lot of inspiration to pull from where I can riff off of established lore, but I also can just fall back on that same established lore and just say "Most inhabitants of Ten-Towns are a little more accepting of drow because of Drizzt, so yeah you can totally play a drow and it won't result in instant fights in the streets". For any purists out there I apologize; I've already co-opted Ancorhome as the starting point for what was originally a 100% homebrew campaign.

I'm having a great time, and I hope y'all do as well.
Go to Top of Page

rredmond
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2021 :  16:27:02  Show Profile  Visit rredmond's Homepage Send rredmond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome new folk! Glad you found your way here!

Go to Top of Page

MordenGreyhawk
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2021 :  17:20:36  Show Profile Send MordenGreyhawk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First time posting...been using this site for as long as I've been DMing. Never thought I was qualified enough to contribute.
Well. Took over 20 years, but I feel confident enough to both post and reply.

There's a part of me that is extremely happy that even after all this time, the website looks the same as it did when I first stumbled across it all those years ago...

My real life accomplishments and knowledge rarely appear online.
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2021 :  22:42:05  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, welcome to the Show. Unfortunately, your liking of the website being the same as it was 20 years ago... will eventually come home to roost. Alaundo does a tremendous job keeping us as current as he can, but eventually the technology will get to a point where we will have no choice but to upgrade. That usually involves INSURMOUNTABLE problems with porting over the vast amount of lore that is here at CK. Also it will be very expensive. So, enjoy it while you can. Good to have you here!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2021 :  10:45:14  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MordenGreyhawk

First time posting...been using this site for as long as I've been DMing. Never thought I was qualified enough to contribute.
Well. Took over 20 years, but I feel confident enough to both post and reply.

There's a part of me that is extremely happy that even after all this time, the website looks the same as it did when I first stumbled across it all those years ago...

Well met, MordenGreyhawk

Welcome to Candlekeep. I'm glad you decided to reveal yourself within these halls of knowledge. Thank ye for the kind words; the place is old and clunky but it's for the nostalgic value that it remains such (so I keep telling myself )

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Ilsen
Acolyte

Italy
2 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2021 :  18:08:28  Show Profile Send Ilsen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My name is Ilsen and I've been lurking your archives for years. I've finally decided to join the community to directly seek your knowledge and support. I'm not a native english speaker, so I hope to be eloquent enough for the high standards of Candlekeep scribes.

Jokes aside, I just wanted to thank you all for the incredible amount of knowledge and wise tips I've been finding in this forum. This place is amazing.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2021 :  08:41:27  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Ilsen

Glad you decided to join us within these great halls for many discussions of knowledge and lore. Enjoy thy stay.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alithir
Acolyte

Netherlands
0 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2021 :  10:11:47  Show Profile Send Alithir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail to thee, fellow scribes, seekers of knowledge and brave adventurers.

I'm Alithir and I've stumbled onto this Library, seeking to improve my knowledge. About 23 years ago I played D&D for the first time (actually not playing but tricked into being DM). Last year due to the covid-19 pandemic I picked it up again.
Me and a group of friends are playing board games about once a month. Since that was no longer possible for us, hopefully temporarily! we started to play D&D. Again being tricked into the DM (there is a pattern starting), I've never partaken as a player. Although I have played many games like Baldur's gate I,II and now III, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment, so I have a little bit of knowledge.
I hope to expand that bit of knowledge, so I came to the great digital library called the Internet, which led me here.
Oh and I'm a real sucker for Lore!
Go to Top of Page

rredmond
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2021 :  12:11:09  Show Profile  Visit rredmond's Homepage Send rredmond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail and welcome Alithir!
COVID actually got me and my HS friends together (in three different States) to play some 1e again. I wasn't tricked so much into being the DM, but really enjoy it.
These forums are a perfect place to expand your knowledge. :)
Welcome again and be well!

Go to Top of Page

Alithir
Acolyte

Netherlands
0 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2021 :  13:11:54  Show Profile Send Alithir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rredmond

Hail and welcome Alithir!
COVID actually got me and my HS friends together (in three different States) to play some 1e again. I wasn't tricked so much into being the DM, but really enjoy it.
These forums are a perfect place to expand your knowledge. :)
Welcome again and be well!

Thank you Rredmond. Oh I do enjoy being the DM a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Caldwhyn
Acolyte

Germany
0 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2021 :  16:11:27  Show Profile Send Caldwhyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello sages of the realms, long time (as in since Realms-L time) lurker who took up dm-ing again here, still profiting from the huge amount of knowledge contained in these pages. Glad to be here, glad to see Candlekeep is still around <3
Go to Top of Page

rredmond
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2021 :  16:23:31  Show Profile  Visit rredmond's Homepage Send rredmond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alithir
Thank you Rredmond. Oh I do enjoy being the DM a lot.

Awesome! It is fun. :D

quote:
Originally posted by Caldwhyn

Hello sages of the realms, long time (as in since Realms-L time) lurker who took up dm-ing again here, still profiting from the huge amount of knowledge contained in these pages. Glad to be here, glad to see Candlekeep is still around <3

Welcome Caldwhyn! Great username.
Be well and be welcome!

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2021 :  09:19:19  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Caldwhyn

Welcome to Candlekeep, long-time traveller. There is much knowledge and lore herein, which i'm sure will aid in thy quest for knowledge.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly