Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Regions of Faerun Cultural Flavors
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drkissinger1
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  01:39:28  Show Profile  Visit drkissinger1's Homepage Send drkissinger1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm sure this topic has been addressed in various iterations before, but I'm a History grad student and can't help myself:

Inventing an entire fictional culture ex nihilo is almost impossible. Generally, we use real-life cultural and historical archetypes as shorthand to get the reader/player a sense of the locale. Some regions are simple to characterize this way: Calimshan is straight out of 1001 Nights, for example. Others are a bit more complicated but still manageable, like in this excerpt from Mysteries of the Moonsea:

quote:
The best way to express the feel of the Moonsea is in real-world terms. If you combine the “harsh land makes a strong people” themes of the Viking civilization with the “we will persevere against adversity” attitude of the pre-Soviet Russian commoners and the strike-it-rich frenzy of the California gold rush, you get a reasonable approximation of the region’s temperament.

Cormyr and the Dalelands always struck me as Faerun's most standard medieval Western Europe setting. Rashemen has a unique pagan barbarian flavor that I've yet to quite pin down (perhaps pagan Slavic?). Thay is a classic evil magocracy with vaguely Egyptian fashion.

A few regions have always kind of baffled me, either because I haven't delved enough into their lore, they have no cultural analogues, or because, like the Moonsea, their analogues are subtle and mixed. I've never quite gotten the flavor of Damara or Tethyr, for example.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  02:26:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damara has never really been fleshed out in that regard.

Much as I hate real-world analogues for the Realms, I always regarded Tethyr as using the Scottish highlands and feudal Spain (i.e. when they were fighting the Moors) as touchstones.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  02:46:36  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm honestly kind of of two minds on the subject. On one hand, I agree with Mr. Krashos, I'd rather see something original than just a real-world-with-magic copy. On the other, having the stereotype helps frame cultural concepts in my mind, and I appreciate it for that. I do agree with drkissinger1 that making a "fictional culture ex nihilo" is nigh impossible if you study history and cultures long enough. You will find a similar culture if you dig in enough tomes long enough.

I've always been mildly confused by Rasheman myself. From the very little exposure I've had, it seems to have a little Russian influence, coupled with some Native American spirit/animal worship. I will admit, the first character I think of when I think of Rasheman is Minsc from Baldur's Gate, and depending on how accurate that beloved Ranger was to the Rashemi people, (I'm assuming the videogame took liberties) that may have tainted my view.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

drkissinger1
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  02:51:43  Show Profile  Visit drkissinger1's Homepage Send drkissinger1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I definitely agree that real-world analogues are counterproductive to fantasy when applied too simply or adhered to too rigidly. That's why I like the the quoted description of the Moonsea so much. "Viking, Tsarist Gold-Rush" doesn't map to any real-world society all that easily, but it gives the reader some shorthand insight into the culture.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2014 :  03:05:26  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drkissinger1

I definitely agree that real-world analogues are counterproductive to fantasy when applied too simply or adhered to too rigidly. That's why I like the the quoted description of the Moonsea so much. "Viking, Tsarist Gold-Rush" doesn't map to any real-world society all that easily, but it gives the reader some shorthand insight into the culture.

Bingo. It also helps when you're taking people who've never played the Realms, or role-played at all for that matter, and they're taking baby steps to get used to it. I don't like direct analogues, which is why certain areas of Toril haven't peaked much interest to me.
There was a document that might help you over in Alaundo's Library or Tethtoril's bookshelf that had a listing of the different cultural blends/analogues by region. I'm trying to find it.

Edit And here it is

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 16 Sep 2014 03:08:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000