Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Assassinating the Lords of Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gmdirewolfe
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2014 :  03:54:41  Show Profile Send Gmdirewolfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm Running a game set in Waterdeep, and I was wondering if anyone had some insight into a few questions that I have. I'm pretty new to the Forgotten Realms setting, but I've done some research on Waterdeep and some of the other key places in the setting. The premise of my Campaign is that one of the Lords of Waterdeep is assassinated, and the PC's are trying to uncover the mystery behind his murder. The Campaign is set before the Spellplague and I have a list of the known Lords of Waterdeep around that time, plus a few I made up to fill in the rest.

I was wondering if there were any groups, cults, etc, who would try and gain a hold in Waterdeep by assassinating some of the Masked Lords.I was thinking the Cult of the Dragon, even though they are usually around the Dragon Coast. Also if anyone has any cool ideas for the campaign I am open to suggestions, as some advice from someone who knows more about the setting would be awesome. Thanks.

GMDW

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2014 :  04:33:14  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would think any cult centered on the worship of beholders would take a shot at one or more Masked Lords, either to replace them with someone of the cult's liking, or to weaken the Lords so the cult can gain a foothold and power in Waterdeep.

There is the Faithful of Xarlhoun, which serve a beholder in Saradush, but could just as easily expand their operations to Waterdeep or be moved by you (as the DM) to Waterdeep.

There are groups of young beholders that work together and might try to take out a Masked Lord. The Daeth Haeromm, for example. They are led by Xrombaerrendron, who's not young at all (on the contrary, he may be one of the oldest beholders on the surface of the Realms).

There are any number of dragons that might see the slaying of a Masked Lord as a good move to make in the great chess game goes on between long-lived, powerful creatures. There's a dragon called Halagaunthogh "the Slave Taking Dragon" that might want to take a Masked Lord as a slave and pry from him or her all the Lord knows about Waterdeep.

If any of the powerful trading costers that operate up and down the Sword Coast learn that one or more Masked Lords are influencing trade in a way that hurts their bottom line, the leaders of the costers might decide to eliminate one of the Lords as a message to the others to back off. There is the The Five Firewinds Trading Coster, which is an amalgamation of five smaller costers operating through Baldur’s Gate, Amn, Tethyr, and the Vilhon Reach, with its main offices in Saradush. The coster’s banner is five golden fireballs racing in a line down a maroon field.

These ideas are all taken from various Eye On the Realms articles in Dragon and Dungeon magazine. Hope this helps.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Gmdirewolfe
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2014 :  04:41:35  Show Profile Send Gmdirewolfe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks very much, this helps a lot. I think the beholder Idea is great, especially since I wanted to send the characters to Skullport at some point, and I think The Faithful of Xarlhoun might pick Skullport as a good place to branch out and attempt to gain some hold in Waterdeep.

GMDW
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2014 :  05:16:12  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to be of help. I hope you get a chance to post some details from your campaign.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000