Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 House Starym
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PyrateJenni
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  20:26:36  Show Profile  Visit PyrateJenni's Homepage Send PyrateJenni a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there any information on this elven House?

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." -- Tom Clancy_

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  20:52:04  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is some here, though it mostly focuses on Josidiah, bladesinger of Mythdrannor and first holder of the figurine that can call on the panther Guenhwyvar.

Is that what you are looking for? Or are you wanting something else?

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Teflon
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2004 :  22:13:03  Show Profile  Visit Teflon's Homepage Send Teflon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Book Elminster in Myth Drannor theres some key info of them also.

In any battle, the mightiest weapon is one that strikes unseen.

A Warrior or Wizard may be invincible in open battle, with their foes before them, but even they must sleep sometime, and cannot parry the knife that comes from behind.

-The life of a assassin.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  00:17:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PyrateJenni

Cormanthyr: Empire of Elves has information about the house in Faerun's past. What specific information are you seeking?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  12:21:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, please try to be a little more specific with the information you are seeking. I've had reason in the past to research the Starym family, and their associate Houses for some campaigns I've ran in the past. So I've got some nice information here, both official, and homebrew...

Other than that, both the site the Bookwyrm mentioned and the 2e FR tome Sirius spoke of are probably your best basic sources for information...at least for now...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2004 :  17:04:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Other than that, both the site the Bookwyrm mentioned and the 2e FR tome Sirius spoke of are probably your best basic sources for information...at least for now...

One fact I neglected to mention. The Cormanthyr product can be downloaded for free at this WOTC page http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/downloads. Apologies PyrateJenni for not mentioning this earlier.
Go to Top of Page

PyrateJenni
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  02:14:48  Show Profile  Visit PyrateJenni's Homepage Send PyrateJenni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, everyone for answering!

I have Cormanthyr and Elminster in Myth Drannor; I'm looking for more current information on them. My bad -- I should have been more clear on that.

I have a very vague memory of House Starym being mentioned in the
Lords of Darknesssource book, but I'm not one-hundred percent positive, and LoD is hiding somewhere on me at the moment.

I'm looking for information on Starym not for a game, but for a personal writing contest between myself and a friend: Who can create the best Forgotten Realms Mary-Sue?

My idea is a moon elf of House Starym (or what's left of it) who sets out to restore her kin to rightful place in elven society -- or at least some part of it. I had thought about her interacting with the new elven homeland mentioned at the end of Evermeet: Island of Elves, but this Dawntree mentioned in the latest Realmslore might work better.

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." -- Tom Clancy_
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  02:29:00  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your mention of the LoD raised our curiosity, so we looked a bit into it. You are correct about their mention in LoD, albeit brief. Mainly a Patriarch of House Starym mentioning something like 'humans destroy what they have then move on.'
We know little more that you, we fear. Mainly that they're practically all wiped out, If any survive they'd most likely be part of the Eldreth Veluuthra, (upon which the house was mentioned).
We'd say more... but frankly you've stumped us on " Who can create the best Forgotten Realms Mary-Sue?".... We have no idea what your even attempting...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  03:37:50  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cardinal Deimos

We know little more that you, we fear. Mainly that they're practically all wiped out,

That's something I wanted to get at. Is there any product/novel that mentions this Clan surviving into current Realms time? To my knowledge there isn't but I wanted to ask to make sure.
Go to Top of Page

PyrateJenni
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  18:24:26  Show Profile  Visit PyrateJenni's Homepage Send PyrateJenni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We'd say more... but frankly you've stumped us on " Who can create the best Forgotten Realms Mary-Sue?".... We have no idea what your even attempting...[/red]

"Mary Sue", in this instance, refers to a fan-created character (usually not always female) who is universally loved, saves the day, and is Practically Perfect In Every Way. To use a different universe's example, "Mary Sue is braver than Kirk, a better doctor than Bones, more intelligent than Spock, and sleeping with all three."

Like I said, it's story contest between a friend and me; chatting about friend's fan-story and commiserating about our Baldur's Gate II games kind of ... merged.

Go to Top of Page

PyrateJenni
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  18:26:15  Show Profile  Visit PyrateJenni's Homepage Send PyrateJenni a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's something I wanted to get at. Is there any product/novel that mentions this Clan surviving into current Realms time? To my knowledge there isn't but I wanted to ask to make sure.

I'm not sure -- I'll have to go through LoD once I find it.

But if you're right, and canonically the House hasn't survived -- that's even better!

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  23:20:08  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
"Mary Sue", in this instance, refers to a fan-created character (usually not always female) who is universally loved, saves the day, and is Practically Perfect In Every Way. To use a different universe's example, "Mary Sue is braver than Kirk, a better doctor than Bones, more intelligent than Spock, and sleeping with all three."

Yes, I've heard that term applied to R.A. Salvatore's character, Catti-Brie. Not saying I agree with it, just that I've seen it come up, more than a few times when the character is discussed.

By the way, what is the origin of the name? Was there a super Mary Sue type somewhere in some comic series or something?
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2004 :  23:21:15  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But if you're right, and canonically the House hasn't survived -- that's even better!

Even better for your story's purpose? Where has this character been then all these years while her house has been pushed to near extinction?
Go to Top of Page

Seter Durothil
Acolyte

Israel
8 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2004 :  22:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Seter Durothil's Homepage Send Seter Durothil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
House Starym was of the five noble houses of Myth-Drannor who founded Eldreth Veluuthra aka "The victorious blade of the people".

Fanatic group of human hating elves. Can be found in LoD.

Edited by - Seter Durothil on 11 Dec 2004 22:51:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  05:36:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, the family had a moonblade that was, at the moment of its first drawing, corrupted by Moander. It's since become intelligent and thoroughly evil.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  12:04:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Also, the family had a moonblade that was, at the moment of its first drawing, corrupted by Moander. It's since become intelligent and thoroughly evil.

Yes, see "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical", p.114-115. Mayhap, "lost Empires of Faerun" might mention them also.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2004 :  13:57:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Yes, see "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical", p.114-115. Mayhap, "lost Empires of Faerun" might mention them also.

-- George Krashos

My bad, I prolly should've mentioned that myself. Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (a formerly suppressed work ) had a lot of really nifty stuff in there. In addition to the artifacts and new spells, I loved the section on magical properties of various materials...

But back to House Starym...

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  02:27:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed saith:

House Starym DOES survive to the present day.

However, when I pressed him for a LITTLE more detail, he just laughed the dirtiest of his maniacal laughs and said he had to telephone "a certain lady at WotC, to wish her Merry Christmas nightmares."
! !

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  03:13:21  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Ed saith:

Hey interesting to hear, I wonder how much lore the House retained. Though can wait to find out.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  06:00:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Ed saith:

Hey interesting to hear, I wonder how much lore the House retained. Though can wait to find out.

Maybe you can wait, but I wanna know now!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2004 :  15:42:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ed saith:

However, when I pressed him for a LITTLE more detail, he just laughed the dirtiest of his maniacal laughs and said he had to telephone "a certain lady at WotC, to wish her Merry Christmas nightmares."
! !

love to all,
THO

And provide some impetus for our own Christmas Eve nightmares as well it would seem...

Still, I'm sure whatever Ed comes up with will be worth the wait .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2005 :  00:14:45  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Ed saith:

! !

love to all,
THO

And provide some impetus for our own Christmas Eve nightmares as well it would seem...

Still, I'm sure whatever Ed comes up with will be worth the wait .

Aye, be interesting to see what mayhem the evil buggers are up to, since we haven't heard anything on them in forever.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2018 :  00:57:57  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seeker PyrateJenni,

Here is a comprehensive list of resources:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Starym

Best regards,

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000