Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 moved to tears? spoilers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2014 :  20:52:02  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Have you ever come across a passage that has actually made you cry or made you emotional?

The two that come to mind is the story of how guen came to be. Truly sad

The other is when zaknafeins ghost appears at the end of passage to dawn.

Too sad to describe

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

“Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change.
Drizzt Do'Urden”

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Aug 2014 02:47:25

Lord Kjeran
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  05:21:03  Show Profile  Visit Lord Kjeran's Homepage Send Lord Kjeran a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes. Varra's death in the opening chapter of Godborn.

"It was an age of dark beliefs and of practises that were no less dark; and witchcraft and sorcery were rampant throughout the land, among all classes."
Clark Ashton Smith, "The Necromantic Tale"
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  16:37:50  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obvious spoiler alert.

When Jak died in the Erevis Cale stories. Every time I read LotR's final chapter. There have been a few others, but that's all I recall right off hand.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Hellbane
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  18:06:54  Show Profile Send Hellbane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kemp really makes you feel a close emotional connection to his characters. A lot of the Riven stuff interacting and loving his girls and how he really cared for Jak in the end made my heart clench up.

Edited by - Hellbane on 17 Aug 2014 18:07:44
Go to Top of Page

Farlaak
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  18:32:46  Show Profile Send Farlaak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would have to be Besnell's death in Siege of Darkness. R.A Salvatore made me care about a character i'd never met before. then yanked the rug out once when i started to care
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  21:24:56  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(Spoilers for The Ghost King & Gauntlgrym:)
Cat's departure in TGK, and Bruenor's in Gaunt.. Hers made me tear up in sadness (just bitter), while his made me tear up and pump my fist at the same time (bittersweet).
(/spoiler)

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 17 Aug 2014 21:28:20
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  22:49:41  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah, none of faerun's books have gripped me enough to turn a emotional responce besides wanting to know what happens next.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  23:01:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When Kitiara killed Sturm in the Dragonlance Chronicles.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  23:59:49  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reason I was so attached was because I listened to the books on tape. Human voice adds a different dimension

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  01:15:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've felt bad for some FR characters, but the one that always gets me is from Dragonlance -- Tasslehoff holding Flint's helm and crying.

I've wanted to throw a couple of FR books across the room, but that's not a positive thing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  01:19:44  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah yes, the Kender Mourning Song. Loved that poem.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  01:50:28  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Berkthgar

Have you ever come across a passage that has actually made you cry or made you emotional?

Too sad to describe

I still want to know the where the "good place" Zak's spirit is that he mentioned to Drizzt.

On topic...well, I'm pretty sensitive, so any time a character I love dies, I get mad/sad, and I even lose sleep. Kind of pathetic, I know

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  02:38:38  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I still want to know the where the "good place" Zak's spirit is that he mentioned to Drizzt.

Oh, that's easy: he went to Kwik-E-Mart!

"I'm Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club man. I hope I will enjoy...my show!"

"T'ank you for chopping Kwik-E-Mart. My name is Apu. Please...come again."

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  02:39:17  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For example, when Xxorsh, the sea elf in Starlight and Shadows died, I teared up. I loved him.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  02:41:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

quote:

Oh, that's easy: he went to Kwik-E-Mart!

"I'm Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club man. I hope I will enjoy...my show!"

"T'ank you for chopping Kwik-E-Mart. My name is Apu. Please...come again."

Lol, sorry, BEAST, I don't get it ^^;

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  02:46:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should probably be moving this scroll to a more appropriate shelf, I think.

*Casts Shift Scroll*

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  04:39:32  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Companions by Salvatore. Some of his best Realms work since Road of the Patriarch.

Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson.

Beak. The more we learned about Beak, the more I started to feel for him. Proving his worth to his friends was really heart-wrenching.

Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson.

A young boy, maybe 12 years old, name of Snell, despised his adopted brother Harllo. Harllo went to get some dung for his adopted parents' hearth and was ambushed by his stepbrother Snell. Snell hit him with a sack full of coins and sold him to an iron monger. Later Snell thinks about how he can't wait until he's the adult and his parents are the drooling, shitting, frail babies dependent on his mercies. Snell gets a kick out of thinking about how he'll antagonize his elderly parents. Later Snell's wheelchair bound father gets knocked out of his wheelchair while going to a temple for a blessing from the Crippled God's priesthood. His mother kneels to help him and gets her hip broken by commoners hungry for the Crippled God's blessing. His father gets his esophagus crushed underfoot. His mom lays there bleating until one of those hungry for a blessing crushes her head underfoot.

Reading about Harllo's mother coming to terms with him being sold into slavery and dealing with the trauma of his conception while a P.O.W. of the Pannion Domin was pretty much a tear-jerker, too.

Various characters introduced as the Phoenix Inn Regulars in the first book suddenly have to deal with age catching up to them. Their old, risqué lifestyles are suddenly far too dangerous. Some pay dearly for it. Them dealing with the grief is worse: anger, drunkenness, suicide by slit wrist in one's case. Veterans that experienced the horrors of the Pannion Domin War are targeted by an assassins' guild and likewise begin showing their age.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul

Edited by - Entromancer on 18 Aug 2014 04:43:21
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  07:44:08  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is zak protected by meiliki? Why doesn't Zak make contact drizzt in the later books?

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  14:23:59  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Berkthgar

Too sad to describe

On topic...well, I'm pretty sensitive, so any time a character I love dies, I get mad/sad, and I even lose sleep. Kind of pathetic, I know

I had always assumed he would be in Arvandor. If he's "at peace" there's no way he's in Lolth's realm or the Wall of the Faithless. I always pictured Corellon plucking up those ultra-rare drow souls like his.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  15:43:02  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that Eilistraee is more likely to do that. I mean, it's part of what she's about...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  18:25:35  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I think that Eilistraee is more likely to do that. I mean, it's part of what she's about...

Somehow, I don't think ol' boy Zak would mind too terribly much seeing him some nekkid dancin' elf girls...

Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  15:13:36  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we're including all fantasy novels, then the Red Wedding in George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords. After reading it, I had to put down the book for a minute or two to gather my wits. Then I reread the whole chapter, hoping that somehow the terrible words would change. Sadly, it didn't happen.

If we're only including FR novels... not really. There's a couple of passages in various novels that have made me happy or sad, sure, but none that caused a deep emotional reaction like the one I had to the Red Wedding.
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  17:24:30  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There aren't many, but a couple that stirred my emotions have already been listed. One that hasn't been yet mentioned was when Drizzt found Nojheim hanging from the cross-pole after returning from Silverymoon for legal advice about the slavery of the goblin in "The Dark Mirror".
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  18:00:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

If we're including all fantasy novels, then the Red Wedding in George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords. After reading it, I had to put down the book for a minute or two to gather my wits. Then I reread the whole chapter, hoping that somehow the terrible words would change. Sadly, it didn't happen.

If we're only including FR novels... not really. There's a couple of passages in various novels that have made me happy or sad, sure, but none that caused a deep emotional reaction like the one I had to the Red Wedding.

The Red Wedding was upsetting, but it wasn't anywhere near the deaths of Sturm or Flint, for me... That said, those books are just emotionally brutal to get thru, and I had to take a few months' break after reading the first three. I was very saddened to read about Ned Stark's death, and it upset me when it appeared that Theon had killed Bran and Rickard. I'm actually still unsure which is worse -- what he did, or what we initially thought he did.

Reading those books is emotionally wearying for me, because there are just so many bad things happening, often to decent folk. Because reading those books is rough, they are going to be an exception to one of my normal practices. Usually, with an ongoing series, I like to reread the prior books when a new one comes out. I can't put myself thru that, with the Song of Ice and Fire, though... I figure that Martin will finish the series around the time my now 3 year old is ready to read them, and some time after that, I'll subject myself to reading the whole series at once.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Aug 2014 18:01:06
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  21:03:57  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That said, those books are just emotionally brutal to get thru, and I had to take a few months' break after reading the first three. I was very saddened to read about Ned Stark's death[...].

I still haven't read them. I only watched the show. But I actually wasn't all that upset with Ned's death. Sure, I could tell he was supposed to be the hero that first season/book.

But you don't kill sweet, cuddly doggies. You just don't.

I still can't stand Sansa, though, even though I pity her pup.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  02:14:55  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flint's death got to me in Dragonlance. But I was pretty young at the time and may have been overtired from staying up all night reading....

Sadly (pun), none of the Realms books have affected me like this, even though I very much enjoy them. I think I'd just get mad if a character I liked died, not sad.
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  06:22:49  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The realms books, especially the early ones like the crystal shard makes me yearn for a setting such as that.

I wish Bethesda studios made a forgotten realms game.

Alas, I will bide my time with reading

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000