Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shocking Stab
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  06:58:56  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Can anybody think of a named weapon (FR, or otherwise) that is thematically based around lightning and/or storms, besides a simple shocking burst? I am aware of Kozah's Needle and would like more information on that, but am seeking anything besides your generic zap sap.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  07:16:10  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Canon? Nothing comes to mind. However I had a few NPCs and characters name their weapons. Two that come to mind is Static Steel (+2 shocking burst greatsword) wielded by Bergthor Hallstein, a Spellblade who was trained by the Host Tower of the Arcane and defected to go to Silverymoon. The second is Tempus's Rage (+2 blessed shocking burst cold iron greataxe) wielded by a Cleric of Tempus.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  11:05:18  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting on p.24 of Volo's Guide to All Things Magical is the story of the creation of the Mace of Reaving, a holy item created by priests of Talos.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  11:29:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's the dragonfang dagger, from an old issue of Dragon. IIRC, it chucks a lightning bolt and gives a bonus against dragons.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 14 Aug 2014 11:29:47
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  13:29:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was Ed's "Magic in Myth Drannor" DRAGON Annual article way back when that featured stormswords - also mentioned in the 'Elminster in Myth Drannor' novel. Ed subsequently wrote about "elder" stormswords here at Candlekeep. A search should be able to dig up that information. I'm thinking that the elder ones would have been individualised as heirlooms of the oldest elven noble families.

Also, in Ed's old Polyhedron magazine column there was reference to the Sword of Storms one of the weapons of the greatest Talosian priest. I'm away from my sources but can give you the name of the guy in a week or so. It was something like Mhaerklos.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 14 Aug 2014 13:33:10
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  15:08:36  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They aren't named but the swords of balor come to mind.

Also Dragon 181 had Celestial Fury which was a storm/lightning based katana for Kara Tur.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  15:27:42  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Krash, mods, any ideas where I might find Ed's elocution regarding these ''elder stormswords'' said to be referenced right here at teh Keep

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  15:36:56  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assume that they are archived in Ol' Ed Says, somewhere, but I've never quite managed the knack of narrowing down his reply pertaining to the question, instead of getting 300 pages of Ask Ed

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  17:05:14  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can anybody reproduce here the information on Stormblades from the Dragon Annual #2, please.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2014 :  23:04:57  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might be interest in *Storm Stars* ... enchanted sparky-chain-lightningy morningstars unique to the Realms, fashioned by a combination of ancient Netherese magic and Greenwoodlore.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  01:58:49  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The elder blades were from ask Ed 2004 I think.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  02:06:40  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Can anybody think of a named weapon (FR, or otherwise) that is thematically based around lightning and/or storms, besides a simple shocking burst? I am aware of Kozah's Needle and would like more information on that, but am seeking anything besides your generic zap sap.

Don't forget Drizzt's bow: Tamlauril/Heartseeker. Anything that can wound a pit fiend is worth mentioning.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2014 :  08:49:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Just wondering, why are you wanting to know? Are you just looking for thematic abilities for a weapon? If so, I'll throw out some ideas for fun.

sword shocks people on hit

sword emits thunderous roar on hit causing sonic dmg and possible deafness (note: this should also specify how far away this can be heard)

sword sucks in electrical energy if it hits a being infused with electricity, causing additional damage.

sword can surround the individual with a field that protects against electricity

sword can surround the individual with a field that causes damage against anyone that closes within 5 feet of the individual (or causes some kind of retributive dmg every time they hit the character)

sword can emit a blinding flash of light

sword can cast a control weather effect, emit a gust of wind, or cause an extremely localized downpour of rain upon an individual area

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000