Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Horrendous Dessication epic spell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  05:26:28  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I never noticed it the first time, but just tonight I flipped through Champions of Ruin and took a look at the epic spells in it. The spell Horrendous Dessication, after reading it, made me come to a sudden revelation. It's exactly the Lifedrain spell the phaerimms were casting that caused Anauroch to originate, once you read the spell description and realize it's no different than the spell written back in 2E.

Assuming a base caster level of 21st, that's 2,520 gallons of water destroyed. It causes the withering of plants, mummifying flesh, drying up pools/ponds, and turning lush land into dust within 300 ft/caster level (6,300 ft., over a mile; dealing 840 points of damage to all living creatures in that area, Fortitude for half).

Drawback was a limb of the caster withers away (not hard for a phaerimm to have something regenerate it back).

Just thought I'd share that. I wonder why the name change, though?

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2014 :  09:11:06  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is definitely a similarity, but also some dramatic differences. Horrendous Dessication affects a wider area, is instantaneous (i.e. does not persist even a moment later), and withers a limb. In the old Life Drain spell (which was in the Ruins of Myth Drannor) the spell prevented water from entering the area of effect after the initial dehydration and had a duration of 1 year per level of the caster - MUCH longer than instantaneous. Also the penalty was not a limb but 1 hit point. I always suspected that they had a higher level variant of this spell that would cover more area and last even longer but have never seen such in print.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000