Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Religion and homosexuality in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  02:49:52  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with what Wooly and Ayrik said

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2014 :  13:25:59  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gods, I just need to say how awesome this conversation is.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  19:42:03  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stumbled upon this in The Great Net Spellbook but don't know what its original source is. The Net Book as several 'sexual' spells in it though.

Reverse Sexual Orientation (Alteration)
Range: 10 yards
Components: V, S, M
Duration: Special
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: One creature
Saving Throw: Special
Author: Mario R. Borelli <mario.r.borelli.3@nd.edu>
This spell temporarily converts a creature's sexual orientation from hetero- to homosexual, or vice versa. A bisexual who favours one gender will now favour the other, and a bisexual equally disposed towards both genders is
Wizard Spells (1st level) 80
unaffected. Asexual creatures or creatures of species with more than two genders will be affected, if at all, by DM's discretion.
There is no saving throw per se against this spell. Rather, upon first experiencing sexual attraction in the altered way, or upon first questioning one's unexpected lack of accustomed sexual attraction, the subject, if strenuously disapproving, is allowed a Constitution check at _4. A successful Constitution check will experience a strong but repressive erotic attraction towards a single individual for 1 round per level of the spellcaster, after which the effects permanently vanish. A new Constitution check may be made once per day, but with a cumulative penalty of _1 per day. A check of 1 always succeeds.
The material component is a concave lump of clay which the caster remoulds into a convex lump.
Revulsion (Enchantment)
Reversible
Range: 0
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 turn + 1 round per level
Casting Time: 1
Area of Effect: Creature touched
Saving Throw: Negates
Author: Mario R. Borelli <mario.r.borelli.3@nd.edu>
Successful casting of revulsion leaves the recipient disgusted to the point of nausea at any prospect of engaging in sexual activities of any kind, no matter how minor. The reverse of this spell, indifference, eliminates any negative thoughts or feelings the recipient may have and replaces them with utter indifference. The material component of this spell is a leech or the eye of a tuna.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  19:49:54  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those spells are a little...strange, and might be kind of offensive. I mean, why have a reverse sexual orientation spell? Sexual orientation shouldn't matter.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  20:24:02  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Someone mentioned in the other thread that it could be used by Sharess' priesthood to help their members 'expand' their experiences. Also, in the case of a gay royal it might be useful for ensuring that an heir is born. *Shrug* it was just something I happened to find today.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2014 :  20:27:35  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh I'm not blaming you, I'm just saying it is strange

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2014 :  00:31:24  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Netbooks are published by fans, without any official support or endorsement of any kind. Entirely optional, of course. And quality varies; there's always a few excellent tidbits, even some impressive treatises ... but (as with anything else public domain) the vast majority of offerings are mediocre, incomplete, unnecessary, or poorly thought out. Forced reassignment of a PC's sexual preferences seems like a great way to invoke anger and hostility at a game table. Reassignment of an NPC's sexual preferences should really be treated no differently, and might perhaps open roleplaying opportunities, but it seems (to me) that such stuff places undue burdens on the DM. Then again, there's probably always going to be a wizard interested in researching or applying such magics. I would think that wish would be smarter ... and I would think that such "unfair" changes to character should be handled in much the same manner. Potential abuse of this spell seems to outweigh potential gains, people don't like having their identities magically mucked around. Creatures known for their sexual predations (succubi/incubi, erinyes, vampires, lycanthropes, and elves) tend to either have a fixed gender preference, fixed gender indifference, or an intrinsic ability to polymorph their gender as necessary.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000