Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 SPOILER: Implications of the Sentinel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  06:34:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I just finished the Sentinel. I must say that I think the earlier threads on Sune being evil don't seem to have had any merit.

I would like to discuss some of the implications of this novel that I seem coming out of the Sundering, and therefore I'm stating right now SPOILERS BELOW:

First, earthmotes are dropping out of the sky everywhere. I must say that I'd never really been offended by the idea much, so I'm hoping its not ALL of them.

Second, the Underchasm appears to be going away (possibly entirely filled in with new earth... possibly only partially). This says to me that the Shaar can be restored. The question is "who will seize and hold this land in the sure to be landrush following the Sundering?". My first thoughts go to the idea I've had in the past.... United Tharchions of the Shaar. Exiled Thayans, Halruaans, and displaced members of High Imaskar (displaced by the Mulhorandi descendants returning) unite to form a new, decadent, magocracy in the imagery of ancient Stygia. Wemic, lamia, gnoll, minotaur, and catfolk servants can replace the traditional goblinoid/orc servants. Set and his serpent people (yuan-ti, nagas, Sarrukh, and possibly lamia nobles) could also play into this society, possibly as a partnership of convenience/necessity. This society might draw some of the Malar worshippers of Dambrath, and thus a society of lycanthropes might swell within its borders. However, above all deities, the gods of magic and nature/elements would be most commonly worshipped. This society might turn a blind eye to demon worshippers of all sorts.

Also, speaking of Landrushes. Halruaa lost a lot of its land, but its not gone. However, its covered in spellplague and filled with the dead. I imagine after the Sundering, it will ALSO be land ripe for the taking. Its also a vast expanse of land filled with dead people. What if the base idea of Dambrath could be somewhat revitalized? By this, I'm not just talking return with half-elf followers of Loviatar (who were likely enslaved for the past century). I'm thinking more along the lines of Dark elf exiles of T'lindhet who worship Vhaeraun, Loviatar, and Kiaransalee. Not a matriarchy or a patriarchy, but rather shared drow rule. Also, they NOT have a cordial relationship with the underdark city of T'lindhet. They raise up the corpses of ancient Halruaa and use them as servants/slaves to tirelessly build a new society for them on the surface. However, it be a clean society (as in physically very clean), and since they have little to no understanding of farming they take on surface slaves to perform this work for them. They also take up pirate activities (even attacking other pirates).

Next implication: Gruumsh's OTHER eye was given to Grumbar as a token of love by Luthic. So, Gruumsh is now a god of "blind rage". My personal feeling on this is to have Gruumsh become somewhat weakened and Talos manage to return (because he was never Gruumsh, twas a lie). However, will orcish societies try to cast out followers of Luthic? Will we see a female dominated orcish matriarchy forming anywhere as a result?

Another implication: some of the "primordials" that have been on Toril of late are returning to Abeir. I'd like to see Grumbar and Kossuth and possibly even Istishia stay, but truthfully, Akadi I'd rather see Talos take her role as a storm deity. Of course, this can all be "behind the scenes" and considered various "heresies" within the churches.

Another implication: So, remember prior to the spellplague there was a hint of Helm and Siamorphe possibly doing the deed? As it goes in the heavens, so it goes on Toril, as we see their chosen falling in love with one another. It might be good to see these deities having some "duty" oriented societies focusing on their religions. Particularly, I could see Tethyr having a strong foundation for these "lesser worshipped" deities such as Helm, Siamorphe, and the Red Knight (Valkur and Shaundakul too).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  18:35:43  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

First, earthmotes are dropping out of the sky everywhere. I must say that I'd never really been offended by the idea much, so I'm hoping its not ALL of them.

Agreed. If I recall (and I might be getting my Neverwinter MMO lore and Realmslore mixed) the Moonstone Mask in Neverwinter is on an Earthmote. For purely sentimental reasons, I don't wanna see it go by-bye.

quote:
Second, the Underchasm appears to be going away (possibly entirely filled in with new earth... possibly only partially). This says to me that the Shaar can be restored. The question is "who will seize and hold this land in the sure to be landrush following the Sundering?". My first thoughts go to the idea I've had in the past.... United Tharchions of the Shaar. Exiled Thayans, Halruaans, and displaced members of High Imaskar (displaced by the Mulhorandi descendants returning) unite to form a new, decadent, magocracy in the imagery of ancient Stygia. Wemic, lamia, gnoll, minotaur, and catfolk servants can replace the traditional goblinoid/orc servants. Set and his serpent people (yuan-ti, nagas, Sarrukh, and possibly lamia nobles) could also play into this society, possibly as a partnership of convenience/necessity. This society might draw some of the Malar worshippers of Dambrath, and thus a society of lycanthropes might swell within its borders. However, above all deities, the gods of magic and nature/elements would be most commonly worshipped. This society might turn a blind eye to demon worshippers of all sorts.

I really like this idea. The Shar is next on my list of places to read up on, so I'm not well-versed to provide much feedback, but offhand, it sounds fun.

quote:
Next implication: Gruumsh's OTHER eye was given to Grumbar as a token of love by Luthic. So, Gruumsh is now a god of "blind rage". My personal feeling on this is to have Gruumsh become somewhat weakened and Talos manage to return (because he was never Gruumsh, twas a lie). However, will orcish societies try to cast out followers of Luthic? Will we see a female dominated orcish matriarchy forming anywhere as a result?

I'm hoping so. I had similar thoughts after I finished the book. One DM had a homebrew world where there were two types of orcs, one was more friendly the other your stereotypical type. I'm wondering if the orc tribes might split into different factions, kind of like a counterpart to the Moon Elves (more social) and Gold Elves (more haughty and isolationist,) only there will be tribes of your typical "orcs are evil, destructive creatures" types and "orcs are a little barbaric, but they have a good side" types. It seems like a fair enough compromise, give the people who liked the way orcs were going in 4E a way to keep things more civil, and people who just want orcs to be evil monsters their evil monsters.

quote:
Another implication: some of the "primordials" that have been on Toril of late are returning to Abeir. I'd like to see Grumbar and Kossuth and possibly even Istishia stay, but truthfully, Akadi I'd rather see Talos take her role as a storm deity. Of course, this can all be "behind the scenes" and considered various "heresies" within the churches.

I'd be personally happy if they did this. Leave the pantheon "vague," every god is potentially "alive," but every faith is riddled with "heresys" or "denominations." Leaves room for me to tailor my campaign setting to taste. If Talos is separate, then in my world that doctrine is the "truth" but my PC's will not necessarily know that. If Talos is Gruumsh, great. But unless my campaign specifically focuses on that truth, it won't come into play.

quote:
Another implication: So, remember prior to the spellplague there was a hint of Helm and Siamorphe possibly doing the deed? As it goes in the heavens, so it goes on Toril, as we see their chosen falling in love with one another. It might be good to see these deities having some "duty" oriented societies focusing on their religions. Particularly, I could see Tethyr having a strong foundation for these "lesser worshipped" deities such as Helm, Siamorphe, and the Red Knight (Valkur and Shaundakul too).

I wondered about the Helm/Siamorphe connection, too. I want to see where they take that.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  03:51:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking as the 4e designer who put the Moonstone Mask on an earthmote (though not as someone with any inside knowledge), I'd say that the odds are pretty good the folk who run that inn could compensate in some way. Perhaps physically with construction or keep it levitating through magic of their own.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2014 :  03:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Speaking as the 4e designer who put the Moonstone Mask on an earthmote (though not as someone with any inside knowledge), I'd say that the odds are pretty good the folk who run that inn could compensate in some way. Perhaps physically with construction or keep it levitating through magic of their own.

Cheers

That's good to know! I hope they follow through with that line of thought. I personally liked the idea.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

SacredServant
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2014 :  01:35:22  Show Profile Send SacredServant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious as to how the events in this book will be reconciled with the Shadowbane series. Is Helm still/was ever part of the Threefold God combination? From what happened here it seems that Helm can now operate as an individual instead of aspect. If so, how does that affect Torm's Greater God status?
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2014 :  06:39:15  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SacredServant

I'm curious as to how the events in this book will be reconciled with the Shadowbane series. Is Helm still/was ever part of the Threefold God combination? From what happened here it seems that Helm can now operate as an individual instead of aspect. If so, how does that affect Torm's Greater God status?

Good question. I loved the Shadowbane series, and I enjoyed The Sentinel also. In reading it, I can't believe that question never occurred to me. For my money, the Threefold God concept was great, but I doubt that they keep it with all the gods coming back.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000