Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Has WOTC committed to fixing the Realms in 5E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2014 :  02:28:57  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the Sundering novel line, it looks like the authors were trying to fix the damage of the 4E mistakes and bring the Realms closer to the original grey box experience. At least, that's what their comments seem to indicate.

Has WOTC committed to the same thing on the RPG side?

I've been doing alot of research the last month or so and I can't find any clear indication of what WOTC plans to do or when they plan on doing it.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2014 :  03:01:43  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect more will be revealed at GEN-CON re the 5th Ed. iteration of the Realms.

The chances however of the dragons/drow/gods RSE cycle slowing down or WotC moving to a different product model for the Realms is likely zero however. That's what they know and what they are convinced sells.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2014 :  08:32:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What George said. Expect more of the same.

Wait for the reboot then we can get back to enjoying the realms

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2014 :  09:05:20  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm apprehensive becuase we haven't heard anything substantive. Yet, I know. Information should be forthcoming.
I get worried because of what went down with 4E. It's hard for me to trust WOTC now.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2014 :  09:32:23  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if you dont like the look of what you see then dont waste your money on them. Giving WoTc money for bad products only encourages them to produce more bad products.

Eventually they will get the message of what people want, or they will sell the IP to someone that does.

WoTC gets none of my money for the Tyranny of Dragons because of the jarring errors in the synopsis. I dont need to buy a copy to know i will hate it because it is wrong.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2014 :  09:40:35  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly don't have enough information to make an informed decision.

edit: That's why I've been posting stuff here and at ENWORLD. I'm trying to find out what's going on.

Edited by - hobbitfan on 26 Jun 2014 09:41:52
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2014 :  09:50:32  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take what dazzler says with a pinch of salt. There aren't enough details out for 5E yet but Ed Greenwood is happy and that's good enough for most of us. Considering the first products will be released in under two months, WotC have been surprisingly reticent to release details or previews of the new content. My advice would be to wait for it to come out, see what people who've bought it are saying and make an informed decision based on that.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2014 :  10:01:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just because i'm all bitter and twisted with resentment and you're not

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  01:43:42  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry Dazzlerdal, being bitter and twisted on the internet means your in large and great company ;p
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  02:21:37  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not seen WotC even saying there were 4th Edition mistakes, just that things are changing again. here again I have not been watching much either. What I have seen though is that the 4th Edition invasion remains, new races and other minor details. Of course we do know that some dead deities are not that so much dead. As they are calling it now D&D Next (With part of it Called Basic D&D) we have yet to see what 5th Edition will offer.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  07:45:44  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With a host of preview material they've been leaking AND a somewhat consistent trend set by the Playtests, It's pretty obvious how the game's mechanics will turn out. As for the Realms in 5E, I believe the Sundering Novels are all what people really know about the changes.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  08:31:54  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will only say that WotC has made a step in the right direction. How many steps they will take remains to be seen.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  15:42:46  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I will only say that WotC has made a step in the right direction. How many steps they will take remains to be seen.

My fellow scribe said it best. The Sundering novels set the stage with the right chess pieces moving, whether they continue to pursue a successful game or not remains to be seen, but the outlook is optimistic (to me.) Ed is very excited about the way things are going, which is a good indicator to me.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  16:17:11  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can see hints of the new setting in the 5 published adventures (Murder in Baldur Gate, Legacy of the Crystal Shard, Scourge of the Sword Coast, Dead in Thay and Ghosts of dragonspear castle). Also, the starter set is going to be based in the Realms. So, currently counting the sundering novels there are 11 products set in FR. Also, the upcoming Tyranny of Dragons (2 adventures) and one of the example towns in the DMG will be set in FR. So, there is already a fair amount of material designed for the sundering/ post sundering era.

I would say that those products show a significant change in direction. Is it good enough? It is still hard to tell, but I am at least enjoying the lead material for 5e FR.

Tarlyn Embersun

Edited by - Tarlyn on 27 Jun 2014 16:21:38
Go to Top of Page

LordofBones
Master of Realmslore

1477 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  17:08:33  Show Profile Send LordofBones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sad thing about the dragons is that the whole thing is about Bahamut, Tiamat, Bahamut, Tiamat, Bahamut, Tiamat, ad nauseam.

What happened to the other dragon gods? Are Falazure and Aasterinian getting drunk in a bar in the Outlands somewhere, wistfully musing about better days?
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  21:35:26  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

The sad thing about the dragons is that the whole thing is about Bahamut, Tiamat, Bahamut, Tiamat, Bahamut, Tiamat, ad nauseam.

What happened to the other dragon gods? Are Falazure and Aasterinian getting drunk in a bar in the Outlands somewhere, wistfully musing about better days?

Well in the last Dungeon e-zine published for DDI there was an adventure that incorporated Orcs who were following a Black Dragon who called himself a "chosen" of Falazure. So from the looks of it at least he's still around.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  21:48:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Of course it's all about them. They're the big dogs in the draconic pantheon. You don't wind up with huge conflicts centered around a deity of tableware and ale mugs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2014 :  22:35:10  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Of course it's all about them. They're the big dogs in the draconic pantheon. You don't wind up with huge conflicts centered around a deity of tableware and ale mugs.

I'd love to see Garyx get a mention.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2014 :  00:12:54  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<"I've Seen Better Days">

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2014 :  08:49:30  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing that I can't quite puzzle out in my head...WOTC has been pretty good recently about admitting their mistakes with 4E and reaching out to fans (old and new).

With the exception of the Sundering PR, I don't see any "outreach" attempt being made to FR fans.

Why is this?

It's very peculiar to have WOTc saying, basically "We know we messed up. We're gonna fix the game. Trust us and play 5E."
But they won't address publicly how they are going to fix the Realms AND repair the damaged relationship with Realms fans.
It seems like this is something WOTC should be talking to people about.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2014 :  09:39:29  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What, exactly, should they be doing?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2014 :  11:30:05  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well not all of us hated 4e you know.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2014 :  13:34:03  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

Well not all of us hated 4e you know.

I, for one, was a pretty big fan of the changes they made and felt it brought a new perspective for the Realms. YMMV
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2014 :  14:29:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbitfan

One thing that I can't quite puzzle out in my head...WOTC has been pretty good recently about admitting their mistakes with 4E and reaching out to fans (old and new).

With the exception of the Sundering PR, I don't see any "outreach" attempt being made to FR fans.

Why is this?

It's very peculiar to have WOTc saying, basically "We know we messed up. We're gonna fix the game. Trust us and play 5E."
But they won't address publicly how they are going to fix the Realms AND repair the damaged relationship with Realms fans.
It seems like this is something WOTC should be talking to people about.

Maybe that's because they're still in the process of deciding everything... And/or maybe they are not going to talk about the 5E Realms until there is actually a scheduled release date.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2014 :  14:29:42  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see any "changes". The word that describes it is "replacement". I doubt anyone would object if they did this floating mushroom kingdom as a new setting, even if they'd poach Realms and everything else for "cool words" again, like Eberron.
But seeing the level of "creativity" to which it descended from 3.5e, no wonder...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  11:27:08  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Tbeholder

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  12:29:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im not entirely sure I understood tbeholder but if he was suggesting make the 4e and 5e a separate product from the real realms then thats an excellent idea.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  16:58:25  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Um.....no. Sorry but the changes are canon and people will just have to come to terms with that. Like it or not, its staying. Best to move on and keep playing what makes you happy.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  18:45:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Im not entirely sure I understood tbeholder
Don't think too hard on it, because he's trolling.

quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

...but if he was suggesting make the 4e and 5e a separate product from the real realms then that's an excellent idea.

Oy ve!

Me? I'm looking forward to the 5E Realms. Whenever Ed has a chance to overwrite for new editions of the Realms (and it would seem like he's doing just that), then good things happen.

FWIW, I understand that there are fans that are forever going to view the older Realms as the "real" Realms, but by now it should be obvious WotC isn't going back.

That, and when the idea is put out there that the most current version of the Realms isn't legitimate, doubt is sewn in the minds of potential/budding fans of the setting.

Short of WotC cancelling 5E and storing D&D and the Realms on a soon-to-be-dusty shelf for a few decades, I can't think of a better way to curtail the setting and hurt its growth.

Given how small the market for tabletop RPGs is relative to MMOs, etc., why make it that much harder for it to succeed?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  19:51:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if people don't like 5e then that's just as bad. I wont like 5e and there is nothing that can be done to make me like it short of going back to 1372 DR or suddenly giving me 30 years worth of development.

And yes its because i'm bitter and twisted with resentment, and also because I loved the depth of the realms, the secrets, the lies. I don't like the blank slate we have been given with "cool stuff" written all over it.

If I stick with 1372 and continue playing what makes me happy (like most people did when 4e came out) then the realms dies anyway because I wont spend my money on stuff I don't like and 5e wont make the amount of money WoTC and Hasbro want it to make.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2014 :  20:04:50  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dazzlerdal Clearly that is a problem. If Ed can somehow heal the Realms to draw enough back the product continues. It clearly does have a few 4th Edition fans as far as it goes. Rare to see them here, however I have seen them.
In the end hasbro will need to decide if they want control and ownership of WotC based on performance or to let it go to people that just want to pay the bills and nice if there is a little extra (Which is my impression that WotC did by buying TSR, when they were not purchased by Hasbro).
There is no way the Realms or D&D will exist if it does not pay the bills. Reason TSR was in so much problem was because they could not pay the bills.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000