Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 DMing question
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2014 :  04:59:02  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow companions. I will DMing for my first time soon. Planning a 2pm to sunrise of the next day.
Tell me how this sounds, it's the outline

A local lord of a sea side village has asked my companions to clear out a group of pirating islands. Little do they know, water elementals, who are controlled by the evil wizards of the cutthroat isles. Plus other nasty creatures of the seas and wind elementals creating hurricanes and such. However we have wizards of our own.

Now once I lead my friends to the isles, they will rest at an inn full of thieves and thugs, waiting to spill blood. I will let my friends free roam for as long as they want throughout the first isle, getting information from the undercover contact on the isles on who the pirate lords are.

My friend will spend the majority of the quest killing the pirate lords in unique ways so that chaos erupts amongst the pirates which will cause them to weaken, or they can choose to kill everyone via magic giving a permanent solution.

However little do they know, an evil sea demon Balor commands the pirates. For as my friends make it to the last isle , they discover a cave to the under dark. A wizard may cast a detect life spell, a powerful one, and if they do they shall find a whole city several miles underground. This will be the start of the next dnd sessiom

“Change is not always growth, but growth is often rooted in change.
Drizzt Do'Urden”

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11704 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2014 :  07:37:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this is your first time DM'ing, I'd stay away from things like a balor.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

hobbitfan
Learned Scribe

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2014 :  07:51:17  Show Profile Send hobbitfan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I normally find that my first game in a system needs to be a little less ambitious than what you have planned. The first session normally has so much going on with making up characters and then introducing everyone's charcaters in game as well that I normally have little time left for a long adventure in the first session.

What edition are you going to be running?

Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2014 :  08:14:01  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the people I'm queuing with already have characters set up cause we meet often. Our group of 5-10 are a group of mercenaries banded together. So everything is set up , the current dm has allowed me to be the dm as a test run. Lemme get to u on the edition in a few

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2014 :  22:45:47  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PCs, as a category, can be notoriously insistent on striking out independently after all manner of distractions. Large parties easily split into smaller bands, duos, trios, and singletons who will clamour for the DMs attention competitively, aggressively, even obnoxiously.

My advice is to start with a much smaller play group, say 2-4 PCs, perhaps 6 at most. Preferably a mix of experienced and inexperienced players, although don‘t let the vets steamroll you. Unless you can multitask and multicommunicate really well, you may need to delegate some assistant-DM chores to impartial players. Good luck!

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2014 :  01:54:58  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes my friends are a rowdy bunch. Haha individual turns can be 1 to 30 minutes haha.

I'm leaving through balor for another dm the next time we play.

Other than that, does the adventure seem fun?
Something you'd wanna play?

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Berkthgar
Learned Scribe

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  02:14:52  Show Profile Send Berkthgar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fourth edition

Drizzt Do'Urden”
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2014 :  14:24:11  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds ambitious, but also pretty awesome! I'd play in an adventure like that. My question is: what's the Balors goal? I understand he wants to sow destruction, strife, chaos, yadda yadda, but is there a larger plan in the process?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000