Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Dwarves in/under the Far Hills?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2014 :  21:27:52  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, all.
I was wondering if anyone knew of any lore regarding the dwarves still living in/under the Far Hills.

The current adventure is set in 1368.

The PCs, anxious to avoid entanglements east of Ireaebor, have decided to try to cross the Far Hills and the sunset mountains by going under them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 03 Jun 2014 21:42:57

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  02:28:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is some stuff on the dwarves of the Far Hills in my thread in the Chamber of Sages.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  07:42:55  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was Oghrann. There are some shield dwarves descended from them who still live in a few holds on the western edge, which indeed is in/under Far Hills. They are mostly known for being a very mild nuisance to merchants from Sshamath, since they block a short, but inconvenient anyway road there. IIRC. The reasons said road is very inconvenient - besides purely geological reasons (steep parts) - are: underground, a hive worth of gauth; aboveground, patrols from Darkhold (until Sememmnon got lost, this was rather tight) which is not so far away, a lair of dracolich (Shhuusshuru) who plots to take over Darkhold and thus actually pays attention to what goes on, and Cult of the Dragon clowns visiting her.
In 3e, there are also rookeries of kir-lanan in Far Hills and dwarves ride dire bats for some reason.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  15:25:50  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sunset Mountains (which are north and south of the Far Hills) are well known to hold numerous strongholds of Hidden dwarves. How many there are, and where they are, is unknown. The Hidden are reclusive by nature, and these are even more so, since they know all manner of people/creatures would come after them for their wealth. They trade through the town of Easting.

There's somewhat more in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast, but always of the "there are dwarves here, but no one knows where" variety. Though I'm now going to wander through Krash's thread, to see what's there. :)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  17:27:00  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, all. George, I looked through your thread but was only able to find the reference to the portal between the Far Hills and Tethyamar, which I may make use of. Did I miss other pieces? Could you or anyone familiar with the relevant posts provide thread page numbers or links to those posts?

I found some useful information in FR11 Dwarves Deep in the section about fallen Oghrann (pp. 58-60). The description of Oghraan as encompassing the Far Hills, the Sunset Mountains, Tunland and the Storm Horns provides possibility of having my PCs travel eastward underground as far as the Storm Horns. Travelling under Tunland could be quite perilous though, as, according to Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark (p. 96), the venerable Black Dragon Skurge, spawn of Thauglorimorgorus, apparently makes her home in cavernous ruins of Oghrann's former capital city Araulurrin beneath the Marshes of Tun. Her hoard is comprised largely of the lost treasures of Oghrann. It could be interesting to have the PCs stumble upon a delegation of the Cult of the Dragon courting Skurge.

Near the end of the Oghraan section, Ed describes the following:
"The remnants of the dwarves of Oghrann dwell in subterranean wells beneath the Far Hills, and number some 7,000 in all. There are three large wells, and two smaller ones. The large ones are Thelarn's Fist, Sabrishon, and Iritasker. The smaller ones are Uestingpool and Tunthryn. Each well is dominated by a single clan, and ruled by an elected council, which must have representatives on it from all clans whose members dwell in the wells." (p. 59)

He goes on to describe the wells in a bit of helpful detail.

Afet bint Tuzaní

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 05 Jun 2014 22:47:59
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  06:35:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There was another post I did re how a shield dwarf clan of the Far Hills was having dealings with a gold dwarf clan of the Great Rift. It was semi-recent so likely somewhere in pgs.20-25 of my thread.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  17:12:29  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, George. I found it. Here, for the sake of convenience is the post you refered to:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by JPDeed

Hi George,

Where would some locations be that shield dwarf and gold dwarf settlements interact, and in general, how do you see each subrace perceive each other as communities rather than individuals?

I can't think of anywhere in the Realms that a shield dwarf settlement and a gold dwarf settlement would be in a position to interact on a large scale. That said, I present to you one of the more peculiar dwarven discoveries of recent times.

In the Year of the Rock (1289 DR), a group of dwarves of Clan Deepshield, a small clan situated in a series of deep caverns beneath the southern Stormhorns east of Proskur and known as Sarndul, came upon a dwarven tunnel complex in the peaks of the neighbouring Sunset Mountains. Unlocking a series of rune doors (doors that opened only after a series of dethek runes were pressed in the correct sequence - pressing the wrong rune caused various magical and mundane traps to be triggered), the dwarves entered a series of interconnected rooms and storehouses and discovered that the complex had been constructed as a safehold for King Bryth Firebeard, blood of Thordbard, last ruler of fallen Oghrann. They found little of note other than magically preserved food, a cache of weapons and armour and a a small mithral sphere, covered in runes, and described by the High One Tol Deepshield as "the merest of baubles, but verily singing with the touch of the Soulforger".

Holding the sphere and pronouncing the word "barast" created a shimmering, silver portal that snatched all who touched or passed through it to another subterranean complex. Little in the way of treasure was found in this further complex but careful exploration of the surrounding region caused the elders of Clan Deepshield to discover that the further complex was located on the northern fringes of Torglor, deep beneath the Snowflake Mountains and once a sub-kingdom of fabled Shanatar. Clan Deepshield used this further complex for storage and for limited exploration but soon considered that the dangers posed by the Middledark meant that the complex, which they named Borontar, had little value other than as a fungi farm for food.

And so it was with some surprise in the Year of the Starfall (1300 DR) that dwarves of Clan Deepshield, making a routine visit to harvest fungi, encountered dwarves of Clan Hundelve of Tarnhall in the Deep Realms surveying their work. What was initially a tense encounter soon gave way to stout converse as dwarven politeness and social graces took hold. As it turned out, Clan Hundelve had been aware of Borontar for over five centuries, they too having come across a mithral sphere identical to the one held by Clan Deepshield, and had also considered the place of little real value. Clan elders had however mandated that the place be visited every 50 years and that was the reason for their presence. And so it was that a scant ten-day later Axelord Ebersar Deepshield, blood of Arn "the Giantslayer", ruler of his clan met with Axelord Rathagos "the Red", son of Tybult, leader of Clan Hundelve to discuss the fate of Borontar. After some careful and shrewd negotiation it was agreed that Borontar would continue to be used as a vast fungus farm, supplying Clan Hundelve with a source of food that it would use to ease its reliance on provender coming out of Daunting. In return, Clan Hundelve provided the Deepshield dwarves with raw metals that were in scarce supply in the North, primarily hizagkuur and a metal known as yaethil (in our world, nickel).

As such, the settlement of Borontar (for a settlement it has become: a small collective of fungus farmers, carters, guards and the everpresent bureaucracy that facilitate the trade between the two clans) has flourished although not without teething problems. As expected, the gold dwarves of Tarnhall find the shield dwarves of the Stormhorns to be lacking in refinement, slow of speech and wit and 'nothing better than farmers'. The dwarves of Clan Deepshield find the gold dwarves to be soft, full of airs and graces and 'in need of a good go round with an orc horde'. Only the patience and growing friendship of the two main administrators Daurant Deepshield and Obar Hundelve has seen matters run smoothly. They have rightly deduced that Borontar was likely a way post between fledgling Oghrann, great Shanatar and the Deep Realm in the very early days of the dwarven settlement of the North, created to speed couriers, high level diplomats and to serve as an emergency refuge. That said, the interactions between the gold and shield dwarves have been cordial and without any major incident. There have even been three marriages, although secrecy has caused elaborate tales to be put in place as to how a gold or shield dwarf has ended up in Tarnhall and Sarndul respectively.

In recent decades, with the arrival of githyanki in the ruins of Torglor, the dwarves of Borontar have put an emphasis on security and greatly reduced their quiet exploration of Borontar's environs.They have built up a small arsenal of weapons and armaments scavenged from the ruins of Torglor that they know are most effective against creatures strong in the Invisible Art but do not intend to hold Borontar to the detriment of their own holdings. If the day comes that Borontar is discovered by any powerful enemy, then it is likely that this interaction between gold and shield dwarves will cease and swiftly so. Until then, this unique situation remains a testament to dwarven commonsense and racial kinship.

-- George Krashos

Afet bint Tuzaní

Edited by - Afetbinttuzani on 06 Jun 2014 17:13:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000