Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 How Many?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2014 :  23:41:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
This may have been better in the 'Sages' section, but I think it would get a faster response here:

Someone just asked me a question I had no idea how to answer - Whats the average word count for a novel?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  00:01:39  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most FR novels run approximately 306 pages (no, really: look) and a shade unde 100,000 words.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  00:37:31  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall that Ed was asked to write something like 150,000 words so that TSR could trim it down of some content to more like 100,000 words. I would have to find the quote to be sure about the numbers and the source.

It also used to be a standard that five letters was considered a word ( As the = one word) and I and not certain what the current standard that is used for an actual word count (with computers these days the letter I could be counted as a word just as easy as Waterdeep).

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  05:16:30  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Standard contracted length for a paperback is 90,000 words. And we use the word count function because it's just simpler.

Hardcover authors have more leeway, and currently there's more still. Adversary was 165k, anyway.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  06:39:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Minimum I think is about 50k to count as a novel...while as much as 175k seems to be done often enough to be counting that number as a "Novel".

That's what my Google-Fu revealed I think.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  13:27:29  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If memory serves, the various writer award (Hugo, Nebula, Bram Stoker, etc.) rules say that a work is a novel if it's at least 40,000 words long.

Now that doesn't mean that you can meet the terms of your contract by turning in a novel that short. As Erin notes, WotC contracts, for example, stipulate books longer than that.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  17:54:14  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn Richard and his intellect!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  18:09:00  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

If memory serves, the various writer award (Hugo, Nebula, Bram Stoker, etc.) rules say that a work is a novel if it's at least 40,000 words long.

Now that doesn't mean that you can meet the terms of your contract by turning in a novel that short. As Erin notes, WotC contracts, for example, stipulate books longer than that.

Wow, somehow I inserted "Forgotten Realms" into that question. Sorry. Yeah, my answer is only specific to these books. Richard's answer is much better for novels in general.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2014 :  21:46:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

Wow, somehow I inserted "Forgotten Realms" into that question. Sorry. Yeah, my answer is only specific to these books. Richard's answer is much better for novels in general.

Well, if one considers the section of the library, the scroll clearly appeared to be asking about the length of Realms' novels. *S*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000